Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster V Stade Rochelais. Champions Cup Final. Sat May 20, 16:45. Aviva Stadium, Dublin.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Anyway, turning my focus to the game this weekend.

I hope that the very narrow loss on Saturday will not be damaging to Ireland, I hope the Leinster players have a great few weeks holiday to recharge (a grand slam was won which is a great achievement), wish Lancaster the best in his new endeavours (he has made a massive contribution to Irish rugby) and I especially wish James Ryan all the best in his recovery.

Also wishing ROG and the Irish cohort at LAR a good recovery from their hangover and for the rest of the season (and at the same time wishing ROG would be a little bit less of a dick on the non important stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I’m asking you politely to explain it, is that too much to ask?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ah, jaysis spare me, will you? 

Yeah, don't bother quoting all the anecdotal stories of the poor beleaguered Munster fans and their sad made up stories from the day.

Mod: You really need to tone this down, FTD. Attack the post, not the poster.

No. I’m not suggesting anything of the sort.

I’m asking why Irish rugby fans wouldn’t want to see an Irish province win a European Cup Final that their own team isn’t in? And all I’m getting is “ROG”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It was clearly a screenshot as the handle was mysteriously hidden. Looks like he took down the screenshot himself after trying to field questions of it's origin. Very suspect, as dubious as the tall tales on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

the guy but beating Leinster three times in a row is not good for the Irish team.

Leinster's "decline" has coincided with Ireland's best ever period of international rugby so from that perspective, long may it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JohnJoFitz

I am a Munster fan. Was up for La Rochelle too. I am not vengeful or hate-filled or any of the other stupid nonsense you have stated - its just sport. Leinster are a rival club - I like seeing them lose - There are lots of people who feel the same, nothing whatsoever wrong with it and its certainly not small-minded or backward-thinking - only self-professed "progressive" knobs would think that.

That whatsapp group sounds like some shower of dicks.

I see the sidekick Phog in with the little "Like" as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

It kind of is. Munster is in ireland. It isn’t in leinster.

I don’t get why the other provinces would support leinster. We are rivals. I don’t want them to win anything ever. Isn’t that just how sport works? I doubt most Man U fans are dieing to see Man City win a treble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mun1

I support Munster

I support Ireland

i dont support Leinster

I was cheering on La Rochelle on Saturday .

i dont hate Leinster players or supporters, if they’re your team, then they’re your team. I envy the Leinster setup but would never wish to be anything but a Munster man.

Leinster are still by far the best performing province in ireland. The others have to try to reach that level. Leinster lost two clutch matches in a row and the manner of both losses will hurt, one to their most bitter local rivals and the others to a french team , in 2 consecutive finals , by a single point.

if it happened to Munster, id be gutted as well. Don’t forget We’ve lost a couple of finals and semi finals as well.

ROG can be a bit of a dick sometimes , but so can anyone else, myself included.

also does anyone find it odd that leinster players in the buildup (and Heaslip pre match) were talking about the “5th star” rather than winning the match itself. ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: You can’t say you weren’t warned.

Thread-banned for 2 weeks. Do not post in here again until 6th June.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Suppose the final were LaRochelle vs Munster.

And suppose BOD were LaRochelle's head coach, and Mal O'Kelly were forwards coach and someone like a Kevin McLaughlin were in charge of their academy.

And suppose LaRochelle had a fella on the bench who was from Leinster and had been involved with the Leinster youth set up.

In that scenario - and be honest - how many Leinster fans are cheering for Munster?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

We’d good fun pre match with Munster fans in front of us and after they were decent. We wished them luck for this wend, I think it’s all being blown out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Other fans supporting foreign teams is a storm in a tea cup - it is nothing to get annoyed by. I see it as a small club/province mentality and will admit to being guilty of it when Munster were dominating, though never crossed the line to actively supported another team against a province at a match - that's just weird to me. Those feelings went away after years of Leinster beatings as Munster being poor is bad for Ireland. People are allowed to wear whatever jersey they want to finals but need to be aware in advance of the actions of others wearing the same jersey as them who act the maggot can leave you painted with the same brush and a reaction that you do not deserve. It isn't right but it is human nature.

On ROG, he has the mentality of many top level sportsmen, always searching to add a chip to the shoulder of himself and his players. At times his comments boarder on deranged and pure classlessness but winners write history and as long as he is being successful then very few will complain about it. He has won the last two HC by the very tiniest of margins, could very easily be a three time in a row final loser, so while his talent and luck keep going that way there is no reason for him to adjust.

As for those tiny margins, like last year there is a laundry list of tiny things that could have changed in that match and Leinster would have won, slight better decisions - like while camped on the line; slight better injury luck - Sexton playing as Byrne struggled or Ryan staying on or Furlong or Lowe being fully fit; slight better execution - Byrne getting those conversions or all the poor clearance or handling errors; or slight better ref luck - these have been done to death.

It hurts but it is what top tier sport is all about, two quite evenly matched teams where the smallest thing, that might be completely out of their control, make one an all conquering champion and the other seen as a loser.

Will probably leave the next steps for Leinster for that thread but they don't have the easy option that ROG and other non-Irish teams have to bankroll in guys to take them to the next level. Probably need to keep with their process and eventually they'll get their reward again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

God he was incredible on Saturday. Was melting the rucks as well. Such a shame he want off as he could have been the difference in the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

Bizarre match on a partial rewatch. Leinster were absolutely phenomenal for the first 30, they scored fantastic tries and then defended superbly as LAR came back at them. They just wilted badly in the mental stakes once LaR hit their stride and couldn’t stay with them. You can blame the ref if you like but that’s largely irrelevant. LaR were in incredible condition and form and they showed great resilience and toughness to take that early hammering, settle Leinster down and then grind out the win. I was very disappointed with some of Leinster’s uncharacteristic mistakes but they mostly come back to LaR having their number and having a crystal clear game plan to bring Leinster into the doubt and pain arena. Most worrying for me was that no one of Leinster’s team stood up to rebalance during the second half. Ringrose, Henshaw, porter, Conan, Doris, VDF, even RB, they’ve all been here before and are hugely experienced players who’ve been n plenty of matches where the stakes were as big or bigger and yet they seemed to let it pass them by.

leo and Lancaster too, not sure what they thought was going to happen in the last 20 given how the half backs were going. Very naive to not see a rerun of last year at that stage.

as for all the provincial boredom. Jaysus.

It really depends where you were seated I guess. I’m sure the vast majority of Munster fans behaved impeccably, sadly I was seated next to a few “bowsies”.

I’m 40+ years attending rugby matches. With the growth of the game in the last 15 years in particular there seems to be this soccer-type supporter mentality creeping into the supporter ranks in all provinces where it seems a minority can’t seem to wish others well. For some it seems to be “Love Munster, hate Leinster” and vice versa. To be absolutely clear, I’m sure there’s plenty of dickhead Leinster supporters out there.

i’ll say it again (from my earlier post), I was in Twickenham v Northampton and Cardiff v Leicester as a Connacht/Leinster/Ireland fan. I genuinely wanted Munster to win. I wasn’t sitting there skulling pints being a dick to Munster fans and cheering on Northampton and Leicester, and then being a prize prick afterwards to the losing supporters by goading them. I saw this on Saturday - a lot.

I watched interprovincial games as a teenager in Galway with less than 20 spectators at the games. Back then you’d celebrate ANY Irish club/province team beating any team from another country as it was such a rarity. I love the game, but success seems to have spoiled parts of it. This provincial bull💩 is honestly turning me off the game a little at this stage. Banter and a bit of slagging is fine, but some of thf stuff I saw on Saturday was way beyond acceptable behaviour.

Maybe I’m old, maybe I’m old fashioned. But I feel it’s really sad tbh.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

One thing we all can agree on is I hope Ireland get into the semi finals or furthermore 🤣🤣🤣 everyone will be freinds again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Anyone know why Against The Head isn't on telly tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

‘Twas the ref wot did it.

Honestly reckon you haven’t got a clue. There’s seagulls then there’s ostriches.

Any team who blames losses on external factors is not winning anything on a consistent basis.

Thought Peyper was fine myself. I’d start by looking at the Leinster second row who were utterly anonymous once Ryan went off. Porter with his scrum weakness. Lowe with his dud kicks. And so on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

5 years from now if a french team coached by Johnny Sexton, had Big Dev as forwards coach, with Deegan in the pack (or some other young kid), were playing in Thomond, I would have no issue with Leinster fans supporting them.... and you know you would... so get off this whole munster supporting LaR... it's pathetic..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

ROG has been banned repeatedly for going after refs and he has won back to back European Cups. Do you not consider that consistent winning?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Good analysis from Thornley and Matty Williams on Newstalk at moment

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

Good analysis and Matt Williams usually don't go hand in hand.

He must be very cheap to say he's still in work on Irish media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

And even in victory, he felt the need to have a cut off Leinster for a) something that didn't happen and b) something else that had nothing to do with them.

Someone mentioned The Last Dance earlier and that showed Michael Jordan as a petty, insecure and pretty unpleasant man. In his own documentary. Can you imagine what an impartial one would show?

But the moral of the story is it doesn't matter what you do or say as long as you win. ROG acts the bollix and it's a sign of his drive, his winner's mentality, etc. Leo doesn't tear into his beaten team and he's weak, doesn't have the edge etc.

A two point swing on Saturday and the facts would be exactly the same but the narrative would flip completely

Advertisement