Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster V Stade Rochelais. Champions Cup Final. Sat May 20, 16:45. Aviva Stadium, Dublin.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Given that Leinster is so much of the Irish team at the moment, how many international teams can offer the LaR level of forward power? We certainly seem vulnerable to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Ah, come on.

I don't believe you're this naive. Sure some did it for those reasons but many others are just anti-Leinster and would have supported whoever they were against - they've been there every final Leinster have made and every match thread here when there is no Munster connection.

I also don't believe you're naive enough to think other Munster fans wouldn't have some issue or make comments if a person was in a Leinster jersey and waving the flag of their opponent in that final in Thomand. I've had many a sly comment made towards me in Thomand while wearing a Leinster jersey at a match where Leinster were playing.

People are entitled to support whoever they want but at the same time others are just as entitled to have an opinion on that choice. Really don't know why some are being so defensive - just own the spite of at least some of your fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I don't think that's a very instructive way of looking at things. Leinster and Ireland play differently and Ireland don't have the same vulnerabilities.

Ireland have stood up to every physical test asked of them against New Zealand last summer, South Africa in November and France in March. There could well be a time when Ireland come up short physically, but I don't consider it to be a weakness of the side.

He also took a shot at Leinster fans too - really bottom feeder stuff that he would be wise to roll back on a bit or he'd want to be very successful very quick if he fulfils his dream to be Irish coach.

That wasn't my point though, it was more that referees matter and can change most close matches or ROG and basically every very proven winning manager in history wouldn't try to influence them.

The whole 'winners don't focus on refs' schtick, which ROG tried to trot out a few weeks ago, is utter nonsense and is usually used by 1) coaches trying to misdirect what they're doing, 2) coaches or fans trying to take some moral faux high ground, 3) coaches trying to get their team to focus on themselves, 4) fans who don't know what is going on.

Having said that, great teams should be able to get past a bad ref performance, like Leinster should have the last two years, but the idea that winners don't focus on refs is simply wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭typhoony

South Africa, France and England are 3 teams that could potentially do the same to Ireland as Rochelle did to Leinster at least in the pack, add in o'mahony and beirne and it's basically the same as Leinster.

• Advertisement

Leinster were fine when it came to dealing with their forward power.

Their bigger issues were execution of exits, early injuries to key forwards, and some debatable ref decisions that maintained pressure on them when LAR had less of those three be negatives for them. If one or two of those go a different way they would have won.

It is going to be the same at the international level, Ireland can be fine against forward power but if a few things go wrong they'll lose. Winning at that level is usually close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I listened to that and from what i understand poor little leinster had to play against big bad la rochelle. Matt williams is a bit of a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Leinster don't have any decent songs?

Just play 'The Boys Are Back in Town' when they run on to the pitch for every home game.

It's a class song full of Leinster heritage.

What does chelsea daggers have to do with Leinster?

A team needs to have roots in the history and culture of the people who built that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,364 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Injuries and the referee weren't the deciding factor. It was Leinster not making correct calls in the last five minutes of the game. Yes, the were knackered and rattled, but definitely should have kicked for goal in the penalty if it was considered anything more than a 50:50 shot. Receiving the ball back anyway. But failure to line up and attempt to execute a drop at goal was the major mistake. Those decisions lost the match for Leinster.

He referred to a small percentage of Leinster fans who made themselves known on the bus trip to the Aviva.

Not all Leinster fans, just the ones that go out of their way to draw attention to themselves as the worst fans in rugby, again, a small percentage of overall fans

• Advertisement

The match was there for the taking. If Byrne was too tired to take the kick. Maybe Leo should have brought on the replacement 10 to finish the game?

I don't think they can tbh. None of those sides can retain possession as La Rochelle. Ireland has beaten all those sides in the last six months. They're different to Leinster. The players play better and have better wats if relieving pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

South Africa will play the kick pressure they usually play and can absolutely beat us doing that.

I think learning to play like la rochelle is quite difficult. If i was south africa or england, id try to get really good at kick pressure. For France, there might be an argument.

I think NZ could absolutely play a high possession ball in play game which would be interesting vs ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

One of the most often missed aspects of sports is the ability to be respectful in defeat and magnanimous in victory.

Typically people who have never played sport at any kind of level are the worst for being unable to understand the importance of accepting a loss with dignity because when you have competed at some sport you learn very quickly that losing is something you have to get used to.

In modern times this anger in the aftermath of a loss is greatly exasperated by gambling and alcohol unfortunately.

I do get the impression that the provincial rugby players in Ireland understand this, the Irish team has been very respectful in defeat and never got ahead of themselves in victory.

The small few leinster fans who are unaccepting of their loss and embarrassing themselves are not just a leinster phenomena, there are Ulster fans guilty of similar and ive witnessed those behaviors from Munster fans on away days, but always always in each case its the minority.

The same is true of life, you win some you lose some. Form is temporary but class is permanent

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Though I didn’t hear tonight’s show I’d agree on your comment on Williams. Though he clearly knows a lot about the game, I feel when he’s an analyst he reverts to “crowdpleaser” mode and tries not to offend anyone Irish or playing for an Irish team. His analysis consists largely of sound-bytes and clichés, and seems more concerned with playing to the gallery than actually forensic analysis, which is a real lost opportunity IMO as I’m sure he’s more than capable of this.

He was at the moment that should have been one of the happiest in his career and taking shots at opposition fans rather than being in and enjoying the moment, after also taking shots at Leinster players and wider organization.

I'm sure the issue with the fans is likely as imaginary as the issues they made up.

Some will enjoy the spite, Leinster hurt him a lot over the years, but it is pretty sad reflection on him after I thought he'd grown beyond that (not that he would care what I think). I'd be disgusted if any Leinster coach acted that way but, like the supporting foreign teams over Irish ones, everyone has their own values.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Neither Leinster nor Ireland have been bullied by a bigger pack at any point over the last few years. In fact we've tended to beat them more often than not. For the first 25 minutes Leinster were all over the LAR pack. It's a lazy argument that we hear over and over which has no basis.

Our exits were the reason we lost, not the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

Leinster lost their last two matches and we have fans taking a cut at Murphy, Peyper and ROG with very little mention that Leinster dragged the two losses from the jaws of victory. It seems they'll do anything other than acknowledge how clueless Leinster were when being in a position to win but played a play book that wasn't necessary and failed. It's almost like they play by numbers in certain situations and no one was willing or capable to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Nah, plenty of folks have identified the reasons Leinster lost, from self induced errors, La Rochelle excellence, and terrible red performance. They're not mutually exclusive.

• Advertisement

And if Leinster had won we wouldn't be hearing all the moaning about the ref nor ROG. It would be wall to wall with how great things were and how great this or that play was and how cleverly they dealt with LAR. When a team only scores 9 points in 78 minutes and only 3 in the second half then it's very difficult to win or defend a win against a team as well coached as LAR

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Is that supposed to be some revelatory statement? Obviously if Leinster won, folks would be more positive. They'd still be pointing out what happened in the game.

Well Munster fans spent most of last week moaning about Murphy (McGraths multiple 'blatant' yellows that he missed) so if they are anything to go by the ref performance would have been commented on.

If Leinster had won and ROG made the same petulant comments about Leinster players, organisation, and fans it would definitely been mentioned, I'd argue it would get even more attention as he'd be seen as a poor loser. When you win you tend to get away with petty stuff like that.

In an effort to try (unsuccessfully) and point out to Leinster fans that the ref didn't ride ye, that Leinster lost that game all on their own. Remember we had a poster call Murphy a cheat, not once but multiple times.

Just like Saturday's game really.

Doesn't matter what the reason was, the winning team's fans last week were still moaning about the ref - something you implied is uncommon.

Instead it happens quite regularly, especially in bigger matches.

You have a memory like a sieve if you don't remember the days of posts about how wrong the ref was that Northampton didn't have half their team sent off and thrown directly in jail for attempted murder for some handbags despite Munster winning that match too.

Either it is only Munster fans who complain about refs after wins or it is pretty common for all fans and would very likely have happened in this scenario if Leinster won.

Munster fans weren't moaning, they were trying (unsuccessfully) to point out to Leinster fans that Frank Murphy didn't ride ye nor is he a cheat. He's just not a top notch ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

I don't want to be on top of Ross but he bottled it... When Leinster needed a guy to own the game he went AWOL...

Leinster was lacking leadership for large parts of the second half but the last few minutes was kind of embarrassing...

The facts are LaR gave Leinster a huge start but then with the help of injuries (Ryan and Henshaw) they started to strangle Leinster who were clearly lacking leadership...

I said at half time Leinster were in big trouble.

But Ross not taking control at the end is just not what outhalves do... I thought this was his problem when he got pushed up on to the Irish team again and I am sorry but it is plainly obvious... If we end in a tight one, he ain't the guy, Leinster deserve better...

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mun1

Re watched the match last night with a clearer head.

some performance by Leinster in the first 30 mins , even without the ball they went into LR like torpedos .

Then it just stopped !

by the end , it was amazing that LR only won the match by 1 point , such was their dominance in all facets of play after 30 mins.

the scoreboard at the end didnt reflect the match events.

That was in part down to leinsters great defence and the refs lack of consistency at the breakdown, but its fair to say that if it was another referee, like Barnes who is stricter around the breakdown , then leinster would have had more yellow cards and conceded more points.

time for everyone to move on at this point.

Nonsense like the above is why people don't post here anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

This thread is just an embarrassment. I would advise it being locked.

Take your grievances to Liveline where it belongs.

Advertisement