Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

I thought it was brilliant. Well the last 15km anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The whole Pinot/Cepeda incident from a few days ago seems to have snowballed with Vaughters having a pop at Pinot, and getting people like Michael Rasmussen and L*nce weighing in after

Just shows how much of a wanker Vaughters is when you almost start agreeing with Armstrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Vaughters strikes me as one of those moronic American tech-bro gobshtes who like to describe themselves as "disruptors"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Yesterday has propelled Healy into the KOM conversation and, considering his KOM rivals are further up the GC, he should have a decent shot over the next few days of accumulating points. Hope he does it.

He's going to need to get up the road tomorrow and either Thurs/Fri in some (probably doomed) breaks and hoover up some points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭happytramp

Which do we prefer? Another stage win? Or a mountain's jersey?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He already has a stage win, so a jersey would be nice.

First Irishman to win a KOM jersey?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mountains jersey for sure. A big jersey propels you forward, stage wins don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭happytramp

He should test himself on one of the big mountain stages to see how he gets on hanging in with the GC guys.

Problem is if he sticks with the GC group he’ll likely just be made to play domestique for Carthy considering a podium place is well within grasp for them

I reckon that’s a waste of time. He’s young, the GC can wait for next year and I can’t see him doing it.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I don’t think he’s ever really going to be a GC threat. He might be able to top 10 in Giro or Vuelta the way Kamna or similar does but Kamna has only done that on his 4th/5th grand tour.

He clearly targeted breakaway days here. Couldn’t get away once, won a stage, finished 2nd. It’s how he approached stage races in his u23 days. He won stages in nearly every race but never threatened GC.

No stages left suit him, so getting the polka dot would be a huge ask and a brilliant achievement

Ben and Eddie are in the tough situation Dan Martin was in. Target some of the biggest races in cycling and earn the apathy of the general public in Ireland or launch a fruitless attempt at GC to relatively wild applause.

The world championships is their only hope of winning something and it actually being recognized. But the Irish set up is shocking so I don't see us win anything (although Nico being involved should help)

I think all cyclists know their bread is buttered on the continent to be fair. If media here ignores them, so be it but they’ll all earn a lovely living if they can keep the managers and sponsors happy

The Tour is the only thing that gets out of the cycling bubble so Bennett made a huge impact in 2020

I know it's a long time ago but Kelly was aware of the publicity Roche got thanks to GT success and changed his game accordingly.

Dan Martin also seemed to know the power of the TdF and targeted it later in his career when he could have stuck to trying to win monuments.

Both Ben and Eddie much like other Irish riders are drawn or seeked out by anglophone teams who are from very TdF focused countries.

It's finally here, the first day we get GC action. I can't wait.

Regardless of whether the break win the stage or the GC men, we are going to have a great stage.

Firstly this is a great chance for Ben to put himself on top of the KOM standings.

Pinot will not be allowed in the break because he's too close on GC.

I expect Ben to be in it with the likes of Barguil, Van Wilder, McNulty, Buitrago, Rubio and Gee.

I'm hoping Ben gets the points on the first three climbs of the day but I fancy he'll fall back after that to work for Carthy on the final climb of the day. That final climb is 20km long and there could be mayhem in the GC on it.

The break would need somewhere upwards of 8 minutes at the bottom of that to survive I think.

I really fancy Caruso to do something on this stage, it's just his type of climb. Of course Roglic could blow them all away but he's been complaining of soreness since his crash the other day so I'm not sure he'll do anymore than he has to and that's to not lose time to Thomas and Almeida.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to all of this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Rubio won't be given much leeway either - he's only a minute behind Pinot. He doesn't have the pedigree of the GC contenders but it's getting too late jn the day to be taking chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,379 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I wish I had your optimism about tomorrow being a great stage no matter what.

I can foresee a stalemate until the last couple of Km of the last climb. Ineos will go into Skybot mode and we’ll see who can hang in.

Thomas has to be confident he can finish it in the TT.

they/them/theirs

Ineos don't have enough riders left to control the stage.

they/them/theirs

Kelly didn’t really change focus towards GC. Before 1987 he had 4th, 5th and 7th at the Tour and 3rd, 4th and 9th at the Vuelta. After winning the 88 Vuelta, he only finished 4 GTs and 3 of them saw him finish outside the top 30

Martin only every entered LBL and Lombardia. Didn’t bother with the others

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Soudal are down to 2 riders. Notably EF are down to 5. If they are serious about Carthy they may not let Ben go for the KOM but alternatively they may, as eagle eye says above, use him as a satellite rider to keep both happy. If Pinot is in good form then why not go for GC anyway. He is one of the best climbers left in the race and the TT suits him. They could even use Armirail to attack and put the cat among the pidgeons. Would love to see it. Hope to see Almeida do well today too but sod all that - COME ON EDDIE!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Vaughters alluded to Healy chasing the KOM so I'd say they'll let him go for it.

Don't think the Thomas has the same advantage in the remaining TT as he would have on a flatter one, its 19km with a 7km climb, but there's 4km at ~15% on concrete. Ineos would be loathe to leave it til then and assume that Thomas will put time into everyone else

• Advertisement

Healy seems to have slipped into the break of the day again.

EDIT: brought back

EDIT EDIT: Maybe not yet!

Advertisement