Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Republicans have become victims of their 2016 success. The problem with Trumpism is that there's only one Trump but several imitators who inevitably accompany any sort of success. I'm frankly astonished that neither Trump nor his tribute acts have the cop on to see that 2024 is the Democrats' to lose but then, they wouldn't be Trump and Trump imitators if that was the case.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I saw the samee arlier and it was exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote that post

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Kari lake was the frontrunner until she lost the race for arizona governor

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

She still might be - She doesn't really have a personal brand , her National persona is based entirely on "Stolen Election, Trump won" and she shows exactly the kind of obsequious fealty that Trump demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@ancapailldorcha

It's fine until I feel the consequences which is the same emotion behind Brexit. Happy to have countless lives ruined and disrupted until they have to do something themselves.

Isn't that just typical of the modern right these days? Utterly self centred and deliberately oblivious to other people's hardships. Then they're all tears when something happens to them, like losing a gardener that they've been "using" for 10 years.

😕

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Or hospitality-chain bosses losing staff because of state law changes made by others of ths same political party. Was Don biting his lip?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It is but they've become so focused on ideological purity that they've disregarded their own self-interest. Covid is a great example. Trump dismantled the pandemic preparedness department set up by Obama, spread conspiracy theories about it and promoted crank theories such as Ivermectin and injecting bleach. While I can't prove it, I am certain that with either a centrist Republican or Hilary Clinton, the covid death toll would have been a fraction of what it was in the US.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Timothy Parlatore, one of Trump's legal team, has left it. Media reports say he put the reason down to differences he has with one of Trumps advisors, Boris Epshteyn, and has nothing to do with the case or the client. Mr Parlatore stated to CNN's Paula Reid: "The real reason is because there are certain individuals that made defending the president much harder than it needed to be. In particular, there is one individual who works for him, Boris Epshteyn, who has really done everything he could to try and block us - to prevent us from doing what we could to protect the president."

Mr Parlatore had been one of the Trump team working on the Mar-A-Lago documents issue for Trump, and has been interviewed by the Grand Jury investigating that matter.

In response, a spokesperson for Trump told CNN "Mr Parlatore is no longer a member of the legal team. His statements regarding current members of the legal team are unfounded and categorically false." Apparently Mr Epshyeyn, a Russian-American who emigrated to the US with his family in 1993, has been an advisor and attorney to Trump for some years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Her loss was definitely one of the cooler things of 2022. Lake had a lot of positive attributes, presentable, charismatic and due to her background on tv news was known in Arizona. She also had the luck to run against a pretty weak candidate, and it was a slam dunk on paper.

However the voters despite all that were still able to spot she was crazy and also terminally online, taunting McCain voters in an Arizona election ? Incredibly braindead strategy.

It was amusing as the Republicans did well in Arizona in 2022 which does prove to me that's is still a conservative state with a small c. However its not a MAGA state which she and Lake discovered. You could say the same with Georgia.

Regarding VP, Haley seems the obvious call she has barely said anything critical of Trump but has been very aggressive towards RDS. She may have entered deluded enough to think she could win but she has obviously released that won't happen so may as well do the next best thing and try get the VP slot with Trump. Its her only path to presidency.

Tim Scott and Elise Stefanik are 2 others who will be worth keeping an eye on when it comes to the VP slot.

Tim Scott has declared his candidacy for the presidency, opening the door to negotiations and the chance that the Republicans will provide some-one to take up the torch brought by Obama and the Democrats to US politics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The question will be if all those performative evangelicals who like to talk about Trump as this "imperfect vessel" will jump ship for an actual, open Christian candidate. I mean, it won't - but it'll be interesting all the same to see if there's any division caused by this. Quite taken aback just how much Scott uses religion in his behaviour - though you'd imagine that brazen "godliness" would turn off voters not into that kind of thing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If it were a thing in US Politics , Tim Scott will lose his deposit in this. If he breaks 2 or 3% I'd be shocked.

The level of Influence that Religion has in US politics in general is quite disturbing.

If politicians here (or most other countries tbh) talked about religion and how it influences their decision making the way they do in the US , they'd be run out on a rail.

Its a complicated relationship the evangelicals have with Trump. People who did not know better always use to ask "why do they love a man who cheats on women and clearly loathes those with sincere beliefs" it was simple , they got judges from him who were ultimately able to roll back Roe v Wade which is something many other Republicans promised but had no interest in doing.

Its going to be interesting this time round where they go, Trump is all over the place with abortion, briefing to journos that six week abortion bans are to harsh but also taking credit for the roll back last year.

Then obviously Pence will enter soon and RDS has made a serious play for the social cons over the last few years with most notably signing a 6 week abortion ban.

He wont win obviously but he ay do best of the also rans, has plenty of money and the senate republicans like him a lot . Heck he is best mates with Sinema from the Dems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One wrinkle that might set him apart: Scott appears to have quite the war-chest from his time running for senate. $22 million reads pretty well for a potential also-ran...? If he can gain any traction he might surprise.

Scott enters the race with a significant fundraising advantage over many of his primary opponents. After Scott won re-election to the Senate in November, his campaign committee still had $22m in cash on hand that can now be used to bolster his presidential candidacy. According to the FEC, Scott’s existing funds represent the largest sum of money that any US presidential candidate has ever had when launching a campaign.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/22/south-carolina-senator-tim-scott-2024-presidential-campaign

The war chest will be huge and he should get plenty of senators to stump for him, but he needs at least one of RDS or Trump or obviously both to implode to have a path. Highly unlikely.

I assume many of the probable candidates are versions of the floating voter - the floating candidate - and will in reality be totally uncommitted to anything which might deny him/her votes when challenged on a/any position by an opponent, reporter or a voter.

In relation to the temper of one of the presumed candidates, tomorrow might be explosive. According to MSN, RDS's political team have confirmed that he will be holding a discussion on twitter with Elon Musk during which he will announce he is seeking the Republican presidential nomination and that he will file a document with the FEC declaring his candidacy.

The question is: would Don walk off twitter or show upset causing a withdrawal of right to use the twitter platform kind of automatically arises when it comes to gaining/having an advantage in the political theatre. Is Elon Musk much of a Don Trump fan nowadays?

I saw that discussion and have thought that whatever Musk might claim, deciding to chat with a politician not just showing performative hostility towards PoC & LGBT+ perspectives, but actively legislating against them, he's clearly happier to mix with the right-leaning spectrum of American society. Or indeed, the CoVid "sceptics" given DeSantis wasn't exactly all-in on the baseline protections asked of people during the pandemic (but IIRC Musk himself has "just asked questions" on CoVid so no surprises there). It's another topic altogether, but I think Musk's only going to further erode goodwill and belief he's as neutral a "free speech" advocate as he likes to claim. DeSantis, a man who had asylum seekers "kidnapped" and flown to Martha's Vineyard for the lols, isn't the kind of person you pick to play the Both Sides angle, being more than a petty bully - but one who'll act on that pettiness.

As to the end-result of the meeting, I don't think much will change. Trump has been throwing the mud & insults at DeSantis since the first mutterings the latter might run for President (the latest nickname being "DeSanctimonious"... yeah, it's not good even by Trump's low standards). This is why I suddenly saw Scott and went "... huh, maybe?". If the GOP are serious about taking the White House back there's an argument IMO that two sides of the same belligerent coin aren't going to persuade the floating voters. It's not like Scott doesn't share certain extreme views on topics like Abortion; his overt Christianity might be a hard pill to swallow for many. Yet the manner DeSantis so bullishly, gleefully talks of a hyper-conservative and punitive vision of American, as opposed to the lip-service Christian compassion of Scott, might torpedo DeSantis' chances very quickly.

The eternal problem for a candidate that might be attractive to the "floating voter" in a National election is how to get past the Primary.

In the primary, except for a few "open vote" States there are no floating voters , they are all GOP voters and the MAGA fringe make up probably 30-40% of the GOP Primary voting base.

So if they try to appear "normal" they won't get through the primary , but if they pander to the MAGA's as they will have to , then the normal voter won't believe them if they then try to pivot for the actual Presidential race.

The GOP have painted themselves into a corner that they can't get out of.

If DeSantis and Trump spend their time trying to outshout each other for the others voters, then it may backfire on both if the average GOP voter decides NOT to waste the ballot on either and give it instead to a middle-grounder and the electorate college then decides to make the best of the standard vote result and go for the middle-grounder, there may be a very slim chance that both Trump and DeSantis campaigns will flounder and die off.

Ref both campaigns where it comes to showmanship; Trump being televisual and DeSantis being populist [or the other way round] which is likely to be more successful to garnering ownership of the electoral college vote over a middle-ground candidate? I am assuming the campaigns interest in controlling the EC result and the make-up of the committees at state level is still as strong as ever, what with the Georgia state issue still unresolved at court level.

Will Musk's control of twitter and its online platform access to all kinds of media screens come under FCC monitoring when the election-proper kicks into action? Is there an FCC embargo put in place on the media [except for the usual news reportage] to prevent the campaigns from using the media as platforms to swing the election from: say 48 hours prior to start of voting until end of voting?

Has Musk, by taking ownership of the platform, chosen to grip a tiger by the tail which might yet take him to pieces?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,301 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

There's no reason to vote a for a MAGA candidate if the MAGA President (Trump) is running; this is the part that appears to be completly lost on some candidates. Why vote for the light version when you can get the full blown deal (beyond the fact the base also believes the vote was stolen etc. so naturally it should be Trump to "get back att those stealing his actual election"). This is the part, and I admitt not being close to the average American voter in mindset, I'd like to see a Republican having the cohones to actually go for an actual republican platform with actual ideas rather than a "bash the woke left". Yes; you can have some MAGA In there for the base but have an actual base beyond it to stand on and promote as the reason to vote for them instead of "I'm as outraged as Trump about the stolen election so vote for me".

Today's Indo has an article on RDS run for the presidency and how he has a different more resident-friendly attitude to established home-owning law abiding Florida residents, distinct from the one he has for those from out of the states and temporarily resident in Florida, with his wife being a strong supporting partner. The moving of a group of those temporary residents by him from Florida to Massachusetts got a mention in the article. His attitude to voters is apparently more caring then that of Trump, with a religious aspect that Trumps past lifestyle does not seem to have and marks the difference between those two GOP candidates. As to whether that will be a line in the sand and be to Trumps loss will only be seen if and when the religious influencers in the US take up support roles for one or the other.

This, on the face of it, is not directly related to the latest Trump campaign to sit as a republican in the Oval Office but might be a sign of the wind changing in Republican Party circles at State level. Ken Paxton, Texas State AG, is facing an impeachment trial in Texas recommended by a Republican-led House committee investigating him on charges of bribery, unfitness for office and abuse of public trust. Paxton called for his supporters to come aand protest at the capitol building [in Texas]. Paxton has called the republicans bringing the charges RINO's. He was also a supporter of Trump, calling the Biden election result fake.

Anyone know if the answer to my question is: yes, there is a wind of change coming in the Republican Party against bluffers and maligned persons in republican positions of power.

Sadly, not really.

The Texas GOP are ditching Paxton because he has become a liability to them, not because they are concerned about the optics of having a venal, corrupt, election denying racist and mysoginist as AG.

They couldn't care less, unless and until it damages them and their election chances.

Remember that everything they are impeaching him for occurred before he stood for re-election.

Impeaching him now is convenient, not conscientious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I lasted 24 seconds before I had to turn this off through sheer second hand cringe

To paraphrase Eamon Dunphy after watching a particularly sycophantic post-match interview - the subjects of which I can't recall - that's the first time I've seen two men engage in oral sex on live(?) TV. "Fawning" doesn't come close to describe that kind of obsequiousness and in many respects, cuts to the quick when it comes to the issue of Donald Trump & the Cult of Personality that is now rooted into right-leaning & conservative politics in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Thanks for that info. It made me check the internet to see when charges were laid against him. It seems the investigation began 7 years ago and the DOJ has taken the case away from the US attorneys office in Texas from Feb 17 last, approx 3 months ago, recusing Federal Prosecutors from Texas who had long handled the federal case according to FoxNews back then. I love the words "who had long handled the case" [as they are from Fox News] as if they were code for a particular way of handling a criminal investigation into the activities of that states chief law enforcement officer.

The Monty Python Spanish Inquisition "comfy chair" interrogation sketch comes to mind.

• Advertisement

So I'm reading reports Mike Pence is gonna throw his hat into the ring; well that's a surprise. Not sure why or how he thinks he offers anything, being the "straight man" to Trump's chaotic reign. And presumably he won't get the MAGA vote, what with their cheerful chants for his hanging during the Jan 6th insurrection.

Advertisement