Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5 likes and 5 dislikes about your current EV/EVs

• 22-05-2023 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

If you were to pick 5 likes and 5 dislikes about your current EV/EVs what would they be? Please include the model name and manufacturer.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tesla Model 3 Performance

Likes.

1. minimalist
    2. performance
    3. efficiency when required
    4. charging speed
    5. UI and it’s integration through profiles. And app that just works.

Dislikes

1. Would like a HUD. Not a dash speedo. A windscreen integrated HUD.
    2. They should integrate CarPlay and android auto to Suit the masses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,155 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Current: Model 3 RWD

Dislikes:

1. AP3 is pathetic
    2. Auto wipers, see 1 above
    3. The fact its a tesla
    4. Interior
    5. No hatch

1. Charging speed
    2. Range - especially at motorway speeds of 120 plus VAT
    3. Supercharging network
    4. Cost - to run, tax, insure etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Drive 2 quite regularly, I own a cupra born and my retired father owns an audi etron 55 sport which I use quite a bit because he doesn't use it much (he prefers his van, finds the etron too complicated) as myself and the missus are 1 car household now.

Cupra likes

1 - Looks

2 - handling

3 - adaptive cruise

4 - range from 58kwh usable battery sames as etron 86kwh usable

5 - uniqueness / novelty factor / little known brand, gets attention

Cupra dislikes

1 - everything in touchscreen. Do like android auto though and making good use of voice commands now to compensate.

2 - nice interior but certainly not plush.

3 - touch sensitive buttons on steering wheel too easy to accidentally activate

4 - no spare wheel

5 - Lane keep assist very intrusive

Etron 55 likes

1 - Road presence and refinement

2 - straight line speed

3 - solid feeling

4 - infotainment easier to use than cupra, but still touchscreen for mist things although has some physical buttons at least

5 - prestige

Etron 55 dislikes

1 - average consumption above 25kwh/100kms driven. Almost a dinosaur of an ev at this stage, q8 etron that replaced it meant to be much more efficient.

2 - interior looks better than my 2014 A6 but don't think build quality is as good

3 - handling, big heavy suv nowhere near as nice to drive or nimble as cupra except on motorways

4 - overpriced, but then again so is the cupra and everything else these days.

5 - bland exterior design, although it's a mid spec sport rather than the sportier s line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

2022 Tesla Model 3 RWD.

Not necessarily in order.

1. Range, performance, efficiency.
    2. Supercharging.
    3. Interior.
    4. User Interface/software.
    5. Standard equipment, eg heatpump, glass roof etc etc.

Dislikes:

1. Price, too cheap now compared to what I paid.🙄
    2. A bit harsh on poorest road surfaces.
    3. Limited Service Centres.
    4. Dipped lights.
    5. Trading in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Polestar 2 69kwh Stanard Range Single Motor.

1: Styling. It's a great-looking car with little visual differences between higher and lower specced models.

2: Driving position. The high driving position is great on what is essentially a Sportback.

3: Technology. The car includes quite a lot of tech and creature comforts as standard including Pilot Lite.

4: Android Automotive is a delight to use and everything operates as it should including Google Assist.

5: Battery and range. The 69kwh standard range single motor is powerful at 230hp and more than sufficient without shelling out for the larger battery.

Dislikes

1: The automatic window wipers are not very good.

2: The interior surfaces get dirty easily.

3: Climate control is over complicated and often the car gets too cold in winter as the temperature control is inaccurate.

4: There is a bump in the floor of the rear. This is annoying coming from other EVs.

5: The frunk needs a piston close like the boot.

VW ID4 77kwh Business Pro

1: Size. It's a huge car for what is essentially a mid-sized SUV. Plenty of rear and boot space.

2: Lights. The matrix LEDs work a treat.

3: Minimalist interior. It's a simple and relaxing car to travel in with little to distract you while driving.

4: Styling. In the right colour with the right wheels, it's a great-looking understated EV.

5: VWs are easy to trade in and hold some value.

Dislikes

1: The wireless Car-play is hopeless and the voice control doesn't work.

2: Quality. Hard plastics on the doors and boot make the car feel cheap in some areas. No electric tailgate or seats on a 60k car.

3: The WeConnect App is rubbish and you can't time charges without an engineering degree.

4: There is too much black plastic on the exterior of the car.

5: The tires turn brown on almost every ID4 I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭eltoastero

EV6 GT Line (16 months in):

1. Physical buttons on the steering wheel for cruise/media, physical button to easily change between drive modes (eco, normal, sport) and paddles to alter the regen (the auto regen is fine, but for me it need a bit of tweaking as you move from faster roads to town driving).
    2. Charging speed at IONITY (now that the battery conditioning works).
    3. Driving position & comfort - I personally dislike higher seating positions (ID4, enyaq for example), EV6 was just that bit lower to line up with my previous experience in my Golf GTE. Very comfortable to drive for long stretches (seats are good, suspension is firm enough to be fun but not back breaking, steering is heavy but not tiresome). Highway Driving Assist is very good too.
    4. Great use of space: good boot + frunk, cabin feels roomy but not sparse, rear seats currently taking 3x child seats - compared to my FIL BMW 525i (2007) that I drive on occasion it feels much bigger on the inside yet having a very similar footprint.
    5. The lightbar at the back - I know I can't see it but when I see another on the road it makes me smile.

Dislikes:

1. Capacitive buttons still present for some functions, like the heated/cooled seats.
    2. Paint quality, either the top coat is too thin or the paint isn't bonded correctly but it scratches very easily compared to previous cars I've owned (driving the same routes, being washed in the same way etc).
    3. In car software and app isn't Tesla quality (but it's fine), finding a charger while driving is a faff.
    4. Would have loved the option to get the AWD version, 226bhp is decent but imagine the 325bhp version would bring more smiles.
    5. Range, or more how the GOM guesses at the range. I find I've to do more math in my head to figure out what's left (% remaining to figure out the actual kWh remaining, dividing by the current efficiency). 10% in the bottom half of the battery is not the same as 10% in the top half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Current: Model 3 RWD

1. Cost - to run, tax, insure etc.
    2. Superchargers.
    3. Superchargers.
    4. Vroom vroom (and it's only a RWD, someday would love a P or a LR for more poke).

Dislikes:

1. Space when getting into the drivers seat is a bit tight under the steering wheel (I'm tall so have the wheel all the way up and the seat all the way back, might be the mats too as my feet can catch on them).
    2. Auto wipers are great one minute and dire the next.
    3. Cameras are "blinded" the entire time, doesn't bode well for Tesla vision on future cars.
    4. Having lumbar support on the passenger seat would be nice.
    5. Rarely get to drive it as wife loves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

Current: Kia E-niro

1. Power
    2. Cost to run
    3. BIK savings
    4. Boot size for a midsized SUV
    5. Comfort on long journeys

Dislikes:

1. How ast it east through front tires
    2. Voice recogition is poor
    3. Bluetooth connection for calls can be sketchy dropping out every now and again
    4. No spare wheel
    5. Glove box is tiny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Tesla Model 3 SR+/RWD

Dislikes

1. Auto Wipers
    2. Saloon boot, rather than hatch - not always an issue, but for the odd IKEA run, luggage for airport. It fits, and there's a lot of room, but a hatch would make it just that bit easier to load.
    3. Auto Seat adjustment based on phone key. 90% works fine, 10% it's a battle as it detects the other phone key and gives me their seat position)
    4. Voice commands for phone call - it doesn't recognise the name half the time, then the other times it'll recognise the name but give you a handful of options on screen that you need to look at, press a button and select their Home or Mobile number, etc.
    5. Lack of Android Auto / iPhone is a minor gripe - but overall Maps, etc are top notch

1. Drive experience - handling, acceleration, and Simplicity of Dash (no fuss in front of you, just the road ahead).
    2. Cost to run - home charging, tax, insurance
    3. Supercharger Network - not used it too much, but it's nice to have that extra option for those long road trips.
    4. Range and Efficiency - generally don't need to worry about minding my speed on motorway journeys
    5. Standard features: Heat Pump, regular seamless software updates and UI/Experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

CAR: Kia Soul 64kW

1. driving position adjustments

2. HUD

3. harman kardon sound system

4. Extremely practical transport with seats down

5. Disco lights built into speakers, door frames and footwells 😊

DISLIKES

1. Efficiency relative to previous car, Ioniq 28

2. It looks like a Stormtrooper from Starwars had an affair with a postman Pat Van

3. Low Max charging rate

4. My wife keeps stealing it

5. Too much piano black plastics

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sprocket123

Yeah the Kia Soul does look a bit strange alright

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭electricus

Car: ID.3 Tour 5 77kWh Pro S

• Range (and rarely needing to fast charge)
    • Really nice to drive, comfortable, and much quicker than it looks
    • Fast charging
    • Interior space and comfort
    • Matrix headlights
    • Travel Assist
    • Clutter free interior
    • Area view saves the alloys

Dislikes:

• glossy plastic - interior and exterior
    • Software errors and The endless waiting for updates (better now with v3.0)
    • Bridgestone tyres lasted little over a year
    • Having to deal with VW and their dealers - nice but dim is the best I can say
    • No rear speakers

Post edited by electricus on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Car: 2022 Nissan LEAF SVE 40kWh

• Responsiveness and acceleration - enjoy every drive and novelty hasn't gone even after almost a year of ownership.
    • E-Pedal for fully regen. braking.
    • Mid-2022 facelift and new wheels stand out well.
    • Bose sound system.
    • Highest spec, with all safety and comfort options e.g. heated seats and steering wheel.

Dislikes:

• Mediocre range, and haemorrhages considerably with either A/C activated, while at motorway speeds and when going uphill - always a handicap on trips.
    • Interior door panels, centre console and touchscreen stain very easily from thumbprints.
    • Very oversensitive Collision Avoidance and Lane Departure Warning Systems.
    • A-pillars are too far forward - poor side visibility on bends and in urban areas.
    • Touchscreen interface is poorly designed and laggy. Somewhat mitigated by Android Auto (not wireless though and unreliable connection).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Hyundai Ioniq 28

1) efficiency.

2) handles well.

3) EV smoothness

4) surprisingly practical - who needs an SUV....

5) good driving position and easy to drive.

Dislikes

1) a slightly softer ride would be nice

2) don't like the finish on door cards.

3) interior rattles.

4) rear visibility isn't great.

5) Hyundai never replaced it.....

More detailed summary....

Overall its the best car I've ever driven.

If Hyundai bought out a proper replacement in the morning I'd have the order straight in.

Such a shame they stuck the Ioniq brand on to big expensive, heavy things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Car: Volkswagen ID.4 1st Max 77kWh RWD 150kW motor

I'm sure I can chuck a few more acronyms into the car model somewhere 🤣

Dislikes:

UI is more responsive, but still badly laid out and full of annoying bugs

Software OTA update is sporadic and unreliable

Black gloss plastic in interior

Lack of useful storage compartments in cabin

Too many ID.4s on the road so I don't feel special anymore 😭

Non EV bonus dislike: Birds keep sh!tting on my car, I literally can't go 12 hours without being bombed by some shitehawk

Drives like a dream

Good range and charging (there's better but the ID.4 is good enough for me)

Travel assist is awesome

Lots of space inside

Cheap running costs and easy servicing

Bonus like: My kids love climbing out through the ski hatch

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭electricus

Non EV bonus dislike: Birds keep sh!tting on my car, I literally can't go 12 hours without being bombed by some shitehawk

This, especially this year for some reason, and always a massive splatter just after a wash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

You all frighten the sh!t out of them, for the last 120 years they could hear a car coming, now, its WTF, offload ballast.

I reckon it's a conspiracy from all the car wash companies. They've placed bird feeders around all the housing estates to ensure they've got a good supply of dirty cars 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fafy

BMW i3 120 Ah

9 Likes:

Stylish & unique/different interior/exterior, nothing like this in a similar sized car

Infotainment- lightning fast rotary idrive controller, works superbly, apple car play, voice control- flawless, and even basic spec, also has great system/speakers

Acceleration - quicker than almost all entry model - small to medium EV’s

Screen - Excellent HD quality non touch screen, decent 10.25 “ size, and perfect dash location, zero software issues, everything works

Rear seats fold fully flat, so gives an advantage when carrying loads

Rear camera is also HD quality, have seen several others and they are not a patch on this, patricularly good at night or when raining

LED lights- are a revelation, herself drives an E - Niro, and its like 1/10 versus 10/10

Front & Rear Parking sensors/ Park assist, is class leading

Driving Position, higher than some other EV’s, great visibility, and comfy heated seats

1 Dislike:

Rear suicide doors can be challenging, but its almost always just 1 or 2 in the car, so not really a big deal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Rear doors was one of my major likes on my i3. So handy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I'd like to go full conspiracy? It's the ICE manufacturers, they've hired the birds to literally crap on EVs so they don't look attractive to others who might be thinking of one. 😁

I better park beside some ICE cars then to ensure some collateral damage 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Car: Kia Soul EV 64KWh (my first EV)

The smooth drive

Efficiency (getting below 16KWh/100km average at the moment)

Interior passenger space

Gadgetry (has all I need and more)

Looks (I know the Soul is a marmite car but I really like it).

Dislikes:

The boot could be bigger.

Some items of the touch interface could be easier to find.

I wish I could switch off the start up chime thing!

No froot (I refuse to call it frunk... that is an American term)

The centre console is not a full "pass through" like on most EVs (I really am nit picking now though 🙂 )

Like @Old diesel I had the previous model Ioniq (in PHEV version though) and loved the car. It is a shame that Hyundai killed it as I always thought that with the 64KWh battery from the Kona, it would have been a world beater for range. It wasn't called the "Wind Knife" for nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭VikingG

Car: Volvo XC40 single motor

Great to drive

Pilot Assist

Comfort

Voice Control works well

Build Quality

Dislikes:

Would like more range ( real world 350-370k)

No Android Auto (as it has it's own Android OS)

No variability on Regen ( The One Pedal is good but would like a half way option)

Any idea how to stop my phone's Audio disappearing with Android OS. If I turn Youtube on the phone to listen to a podcast I can't hear anything as the car is linked to Android OS. Calls work fine, just nothing else. I can't even hear WhatsApp voice notes.

Try a different USB cable and/or squeeze the metal collar of the cable a bit to make it fit tighter. That fixed the disconnects in our case.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭VikingG

I dont have that issue - phone is connected to the car with bluetooth and I just select the bluetooth audio app in the car and whatever audio just plays out - There are numerous podcast apps you can download as well direct on the car

In the car, I just go straight into the Spotify app on the car's OS. Phone cars work fine. Certain apps such as Youtube and Whatsapp don't connect to audio which seems odd. I thought this might be an issue with Android Auto not being available and relying on Android OS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Car Tesla Model 3.

Likes: the technology, including app, touchscreen, Netflix, Sentry mode etc

Superchargers: faster, cheaper and no ques.

Fantastic to drive, one pedal driving, not having to use brake or handbrake on a hill etc, brilliant handling, fast, efficient.

Range, 450 kilometers gets me where I want to go.

Basic autopilot, can drive from Dublin to tipp and barely have to touch the steering wheel of pedals.

Dislikes:

Could do with more interior space.

Would prefer hatchback and bigger boot.

No cooled seats.

Would prefer more leg room in the back

Needs to get whatsapp video calls integration.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement