Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

Cant speak for others, but would assume cheap credit at the time plus Dermot bannon would have alot to do with it

Seriously though if option 1 was a long term lease of up to 750k over 25 years and 2 was modular with 60 year lifespan at a cost of 200k, which would be the best use of taxpayers funds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Have a friend in Cherrywood. One of the charities bought about 30% of the houses around him. There are a few scum families in there the last couple of years. Breaking into other houses and so on. Even caught red handed and let go by the gardai. Charities when asked to do something about it just say, "GDPR - We have spoken to the tenants". So nothing then. Once a bad element gets embedded ioto an area they are there forever, especially if the house is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

The AHBs are now developing asset management strategies for all their stock including the increasing numbers of modular, MMC, builds they are acquiring. These policies include life cycle cost management principles which involves replacing components over the property's life cycle. What we will see, well before the 60 year period, are those component parts being replaced, so in effect the building has a longer life span.

At the same time, yes, those buildings could be dismantled at anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 butnaru1

Hey guys, first time posting.

Is it better waiting in buying a house for now? Seeing all prices statistically going down for the last months.

We were close in buying a new property but both locations had a big number of social tenancies which made us not going forward..

Anyoine who know the answer to that question would want to be posting from their private jet for you to believe that they somehow know how the property market will go over your time in the house. :)

Nobody knows is the answer. Do what you think is right for you at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I would be holding off if I were you we are near the top end for interest rates and at some point in the future they will have to come down and prices are and will continue to come down for the rest of the year at least. having said that you I would take heed of what the previous poster said its more a personal decision no one on here knows your personal circumstances as in are you renting, how much are you paying in rent, where are you buying how much your going to spend and a myriad of other factors that are uniquely about your situation. Be careful asking this kind of question as there will be some with an agenda telling you what to do. Good luck what ever you do and come back on and let us know how you got on.

The person in the private jet is probably the developer or financier

Well anyone clever enough to be able to predict if house prices are going crash or take off etc should be making enough money to have a jet of their own :)

Property is the most interfered with market in the country. "Clever" people are pulling the strings of the muppets doing the interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

What makes you think interest rates will come down? For the past decade they've been printing more and giving it away for free (near zero interest rates). Couple that with the free cash pumped into the system during COVID in the EU and US. The number of dollars in circulation increased by 50% during COVID. They need to increase interest rates to reduce the velocity of money and take as much money out of the economy. However going back to low interest rate environment will just see this money flood back into circulation and hello inflation once again. We are looking at interest rates being higher than rate of inflation for long time to come. Philip Lane has said as much numerous times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

A lucky person times the market, a clever person buys when they can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Just buy when you find something you like and can afford.

Since the 80s Central banks are almost always wrong, hence the mess we are in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Well if we follow the trajectory of what is happening we will be seeing a global recession within the next 12/18 months this is what the interest rate hikes are going to cause as at no time in history has private and public debt globally been this huge and there will be a lot of fire sales and defaults on debt once the new reality of what people owe kick in and when that happens we will see a pivot from the likes of the ECB and the FED, it could be a 2/3 years before we see rate drops but they will happen but it wont come down to zero like before I think the penny has dropped that having such a low rate for such a long time was probably more damaging to the global economy than any rate hike. The idea that they can use interest rates to fix inflation with out damaging the global economy is baffling its like trying to open a peanut on a sheet of glass with a smack from a sledge hammer and expecting the glass to be fine after the smack, yet the thing about the current bout of inflation is wages have not and will not reach up to the new price points most companies are feeling the cost of living pressures and cant afford pay rises in a lot of cases and IMO it will take another decade or so to get wages up to meet the new price point. So IMO prices in the short/medium term will have to come down as businesses will also feel the effect on their cash flow with the new rates. So we are going to see a lot more companies shedding jobs and a further ramping up of companies hitting the wall.

If ever a market can show the effect of what I am talking about its our property market. When you think we have had ravenous demand for 6/7 years, we have had very little supply which has pushed prices up and up, we have also had a lot of interference and manipulation from government within the market and from external players like REITS with both sections hoovering up a very high % of properties that are available on the market and yet with all of this the factor that has trumped them all is access to cheap credit via loans and due to interest rates going up property prices are dropping, Dublin has seen 6 months of price drops. There are a lot of people struggling out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 butnaru1

Thank you all for the valuable information. Obviously, I was just asking for an opinion. Every person has their own circumstances, and nobody can guarantee what will happen tomorrow, never mind next year etc

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

Exactly nobody knows what will happen. I person believe we may never see 0% or negative interest rates ever again.

Sure eventually Interest rates will have to fall, but unlike the other poster I don't see we are at the peak yet and I believe they aren't just going to increase rates and then start decreasing it as soon as they stop increasing it.. There will be a period of them leaving it unchanged for a while before they start to lower it - unless there is something drastic in the economy. My guess is also that ECB rates will be at least 1% ~ 1.5% once everything has calmed down and back to normal.

From an Irish context, we lost two major banks. Existing banks were competing for new customers at the start of the year.. But that is slowly changing, and I am worried about the lack of competition long term for lending products.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

€100 in 2020 is worth €112.98 today

Worth remembering that. Also worth noting that winter is coming and the US natural gas may be slowing.

We have aligned with the G7 against China to in Hiroshima via Ursula vob Der leyen.

Those are hyperinflation risks to my mind

In saying that I expect house prices to moderate in some places but there seems to be a lot of global risks on the table too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Wait if u can…if rent is below market, and there is no urgency to buy…dont make an emotional decision ! High interest rates, peak property prices impose lot of risk..but if u are in urgent need go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

As a recent house purchaser now sitting on their new massive couch in front of their new massive tv in their own personal unshared living room after cooking a nice meal in their own spotlessly clean unshared kitchen I would say house prices can go to hell or to the moon and I wouldn't give 2 fooks which because it would still be the best feeling in the world, people asking if they should hold off to save a few grand are literally putting a price on their mental health and overall satisfaction with life, its as good a definition of penny wise and pound foolish you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Wrong thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

looks like there is a lot of stress in areas of the housing market can see why many analysts are indicating oct 2022 was current peak:

First-time buyers pushed to limit as runaway house prices burden them with bigger loans

the median FTB was able to put just €1,000 more of their own cash into a purchase but was borrowing €24,000 more.

This reliance on bigger loans has become especially pertinent in the last year, as the ECB has put up rates seven times to 3.75pc.

And imagine if you were 40 years old and just getting older and watching the property prices the last few years hoping they would go down so you could buy. You would be in a right crap situation then. Instead you would have been watching your allowed mortgage term getting less, interest rates getting higher and prices running away from you and your rent was going up. Instead you are in your own house that may go down in value but you are stable. No rent or possibility of being told the landlord is selling, probably fixed mortgage rate, term of your mortgage reducing while being paid off, and so much space.

My Dad used to say the minute you can afford it buy somewhere for yourself to live even if its a one bed apartment or a shed. Get out of the rat race and then you can trade up or build up at your leisure without being stuck at the whims of the rental market.

I took this advice and started with a 1 bed apartment. Now in a house with no mortgage left.

My brother did the opposite. He is 45 now and himself and his wife and child are living in a 2 bed house for over €2000 per month. They have no savings and could not afford to buy at todays prices. He still thinks there will be a crash, so wouldnt buy anyway. They spent the last 10 years waiting for their predicted crash. He wanted to move into my apartment before I sold it and I told him no, that I needed to sell it to pay off the mortgage on our house. HE was disgusted and tried to make me feel guilty that he didnt benefit from my good decisions. tbh if i let him move in he would have expected cheap rent which i would have had to pay tax on and then it would also have effected the value of the place to sell. But he would have never moved out then, so i did the right thing for myself even if he is pissed off at it.

They spent the last 10 years waiting for their predicted crash

Manure, 10 years ago most of the country was still in crash mode

If you say so. But I think I know how long my brother was expecting a crash for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

The government is swimming in cash and there's an election next year and housing number 1 issue. I can see another few billion being thrown at housing between now and then by them to inflate prices n get builders ramping up, can't see prices dropping much as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ten years ago prices had just started to rise. Anyone expecting a further crash from the effective bottom was insane.

There were still plenty on here, or course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Hindsight tells us that was the effective bottom of the market, but few at that moment could have known that the green shuts of recovery would grow so much, so fast. It’s worth bearing in mind that the unemployment rate in 2013 was just under 14%, 90k emigrated that year.

I think I know what conversations I was having with my brother at the time. Or at least I remember them better that people who werent there with us.

I was telling him to buy as we had been at the bottom already. He was saying it was a dead cat bounce and all that sh!te. He couldnt handle the fact that he had mistimed the bottom and so continued, right on until today to say the crash is coming. Its too late for him now though. He has hit and passed the age where things only get harder when buying a place to live.

His rent was much cheaper then too, so it was even easier for him to wait for his expected "crash" even if it didnt come. Nowadays though he has a big problem waiting.

As you say, Boards is full of the same thought process.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Once it became clear that the increases weren't just down to the mini rush that the end of TRS caused, there was nothing to suggest prices were going to go back down. The scale of recovery was an unknown but that it had bottomed out was certain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

For the majority of young buyers who had become accustomed to 5 yrs of doom and gloom, the certainty you speak of may have been as obvious as the certainty you have today.

Can you be certain about the property sector?

Advertisement