Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Neely killed by chokehold on subway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

That's not what I said and you bloody well know it.

I used those examples to highlight a high risk situation where the cops probably wouldn't be able to treat the incident differently depending on whether the person had schizophrenia or not - and I was talking 'in general' rather than about the Neeley incident.

Where someone has a knife or gun, the cops may not have the luxury of time to treat the incident differently depending on whether the person has schizophrenia or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There was no imminent risk of death here except by Penny, as bystanders pleaded with him in effect to.

That’s exactly what you were saying

”if a cop sees someone with a knife acting the bollix, they usually don't know if the person has schizophrenia.”

“If someone is having a mental health crisis and has a gun pointed at me, I'd be more than happy for the cops to take them out.”

“Again, talking in general, if someone with schizophrenia is threatening people with a knife”

bonus: "Where someone has a knife or gun, the cops may not have the luxury of time to treat the incident differently depending on whether the person has schizophrenia or not."

Don’t weasel out now.

Post edited by Overheal on

Great if reluctant video by Beau on the incident, also discusses the importance of a properly applied LVNR.

"Or maybe you know he had 42 charges and know it was bound to happen" - what's the difference between 42 and 34? I mean, I know the answer is 8, I'm just wondering why ... one of them at 42 is seems like you're okay with somebody just 'being dispatched' on a subway, and at 34 you want to put them in the White House again? Just wondering what the difference is. Or maybe there's a "lens" you're looking at, there, as well?

I have absolutely no problem saying that I don't think a homeless person, under mental duress, having an issue, should be 'taken out' on the subway, or if that happens, I don't think that's something people should be cheering about. ... there's no way where this is good. ... I do not see any situation in which people should be cheering or be happy about what happened.

Other reactions in the media:

• Advertisement

Again, I was talking in general, about schizophrenia. Not about the Penney/Neeley incident.

Yes just fueling the stereotypes that led to this killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So my posts are "random hot takes on the internet", and thus irrelevant, but then obvious your own posts fall under the same.

That really is the worst argument I've ever heard online. Attempting to undermine others, but only succeeding in labelling your own posts are irrelevant hot takes.

Your contention is if was put on the stand, the defence lawyer would make him recant reality and tell him he never thought Neely was in grave danger because he didn't intervene.

My contention is that the defence lawyer would raise it during cross -it's literally his job. Why do you suggest the lawyer would not do his job. I didn't makes any claim about how the witness would respond, as I've already point out when you made up previous lies.

Witnesses didn't intervene when he was strangling him, and barely intervened while Neely lay there dying. Yes they were not legally obliged to intervene, a rather disgusting cop out to rely on. All of that affects their perception s a witness, as that are the facts of the incident. As such, I don't think the prosecution will rely on what the witness sad and thought. What the witness actually believed is irrelevant to whether a crime was committed.

Exactly, this is not some massive stretch. It's literally the job of the defence lawyer to challenge the witness during cross examination.

You claimed earlier he thought he was going to be stabbed. Understandable that JRant mixed the witness up.

Also, I'm not sure what you keep saying "recant reality". The reality is that Neely died, that can't be recanted. Reality can't be changed. The witness didn't intervene, that is also reality. There is a reason why he didn't, known only to the witness, he has not yet explained it. I'm genuine confused why you think this could never be raised in court.

But say he also thought it might be dangerous and that he might be stabbed. They would prompt the follow up, "did you think Neely had a knife?" "I don't know, he might have"..."Is it possible that Penny also thought he might have a knife". Establishing the mindset of people in the area would seem very critical to be, the fact you that the witness statements should only one way is prejudiced. I doubt prosecution will go that route, would make more sense to put Penny on the stand imo.

Post edited by Mellor on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The specific witness who called exactly what would happen and was happening is not on trial. Attacking his character and inferring blame on the stand as he narratives a literal video of what his happening and what happened would be clinically stupid.

You claimed earlier he though he was going to be stabbed

I claimed who was going to be stabbed?

• Advertisement

I never said he was on trial. Pointing out that he didn't intervene is not his not attacking his character, it's factually recall of what occurred. Interesting that you think that amounts to blame, your words, not mine. Or are you just trying to make an other strawman?

The fact is that's what happened. I'm not sure why you are denying that. The defence will try utilise his testimony to reflect favourably on Penny - that's literally their goal in cross examination. I think the "Why didn't you intervene" angle is plausible as either of the two most likely responses open the door for Penny's actions - as you've proven if your response. I think the issue is that you are fixated on blame and unable to think more than one step ahead.

You disagree, but you haven't been able to form a coherent argument to back that up? "He's not on trial" "He wasn't legally obliged to" etc, etc. Not relevant, nobody claimed either of those things was the case.

I claimed who was going to be stabbed?

Maybe re-read what I said, I think you've missed a word. Not claiming that anything was about to happen to anyone. I'm referencing the idea that maybe the witness didn't intervene as he was worried be be stabbed/choked/beaten up - any maybe that's the actually reason that multiple witness didn't intervene. How do you think that plays out in court?

Maybe re-read what I said,

I did, your claim below.

Where did I claim anyone would be stabbed?

Again no defence attorney has the power to make an eye witness recant reality.

So Mr. Witness you said on the video that if the chocking continued the defendant would kill Mr. Neely, you didn't really mean that did you?

Mr Witness - Well yeah I did, he died didn't he?

As I said above, you need to re-read that. Are you missing the word thought or purposefully ignoring it? Admittedly there’s a typo, but I believe the suggestion was the witness may have thought he was at risk.

Did you not hypothesis that was maybe why he did it intervene? That he thought he could be attacked next?

Again no defence attorney has the power to make an eye witness recant reality.

We’re going in circles now. Either you aren’t reading my posts or you understand the words you are trying to use. What is the obsession with recant reality? You keep repeating that, but it’s makes no sense as you are using it. Reality is the state of existence. People can’t bend, suspend, reverse or recant reality. Nor have I suggested they could.

Maybe you mean history rather than reality. But they, that can’t be recanted also. No testimony has been given, nothing needs to be recanted.

So Mr. Witness you said on the video that if the chocking continued the defendant would kill Mr. Neely, you didn't really mean that did you?

Only an utter imbecile would use that phrasing. Seeing as you’ve come up with that, it only reflects pretty poorly on you. Even someone with only a count of courtroom movies under their belt would have a better idea of how it unfolds.

”You witnessed the incident but did not feel the need to intervene. Why was that?”

Opens with a fact, passive not accusatory, opens it up for the witness to explain. You’ve already given multiple multiple awful answers, and I’ve pointed out why they are awful. So you resort making up nonsense like the above.

Which proves my point. The witness is not some amazing trump card prosecution. You’ve now proven that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,208 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Doesn't the US have good Samaritan laws? The laws state that you don't have to stop to help someone but if you do stop, you do have to help them. Because if you stop some other bystander might continue on their way thinking that the situation is being dealt with.

As I said above, you need to re-read that

It's your claim, quoted. Again.

Where did I claim anyone would be stabbed?

I said "the witness THOUGHT they'd be stabbed". Not that they would be. Not sure why you keep ignoring that word, it's pretty critical to the sentence.

If you didn't mention stabbing then I've mixed you up with another post. I've which case I was mistaken, but would have been easier to say that, rather than repeated misconstrue my post.

Edit: Just checked, somebody else said stabbed. You said choked. So be below still apples.

Care to answer instead of dodging the hard questions.

Did you not hypothesis that was maybe why he did it intervene? That he thought he could be attacked next?

They do have Good Samaritan laws, but I don't think that's how they work.

Typically Good Samaritan laws are there to give legal protection to bystanders that offer help. Protection from legal action where their help is unsuccessful say.

I said "the witness THOUGHT they'd be stabbed". Not that they would be. Not sure why you keep ignoring that word, it's pretty critical to the sentence

You said

You claimed earlier he thought he was going to be stabbed

WHERE DID I CLAIM THAT?

Why do you keep repeating yourself? You are clearly not reading the posts you quoted.

Untwist your knickers. Read the post carefully. Then kindly respond to the multiple questions you've dodged.

Jesus Christ.

Here is your quote in full.

You claimed earlier he thought he was going to be stabbed. Understandable that JRant mixed the witness up.

Where did I claim that anyone thought they would be stabbed.

Please quote my post where I claimed this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Read post 467. It might become clear, unless you don't want it to.

Stay Free

The post you quote in post #469. Please try to keep up.

As I said, you are obviously not reading posts that you are quoting - as in the actual quote function. Not the strange highlight you keep using.

So in order to get get back out track and escape Groundhog fat. The below still applies. Care to answer instead of dodging the hard questions.

Did you not hypothesis that was maybe why he did not intervene? That he thought he could be attacked next?

Or the potential courtroom question. (rather than the nonsense that you came up with)

”You witnessed the incident but did not feel the need to intervene. Why was that?”

Zero drama, perfectly apt.

No point debating with you, you will only end up going back editing your post anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Absolute dishonest time sink.

Where have I gone back and edited my posts? Other than fixing a typo they are all as per the original (mods can gladly verify). It's a bit rich calling other dishonest, when you're throwing out false accusations like that.

You are not replying because you know I'm right. It's alright, I don't need you to admit it. I already know the answer.

Did you not hypothesis that maybe the thought he could be attacked next? Yes you did, no idea why that hard to acknowledge.

Only got around to watching that today. He has some good points, that for sharing. Some things he says/implies are slightly incorrect. But for the most part I agree, and it backs up what I said earlier in the thread. Neck restraint* is not inherently dangerous or fatal. Done correctly it is safe - knowing how to do it safely requires training. Police forces should be trained better in this regard - perhaps marines should too. Had Penny knew what he was doing, Neely likely would be alive.

*he uses the term LVNR, which is a branded, trademark training system for police in the US. The mechanics of a proper LVNR are no different to a properly applied rear naked choke.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Jesus Christ he sounds like an absolute lunatic.

What's his gofundme up to?

😕

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Penny is the lunatic while Neely was just a poor homeless man who never stepped out of line in his life , right?

No wonder Musk has a dislike for NPR as they omit key statements to forge a certain narrative. Here are the full quotes from Penny. As you can see the reality is a bit different

“I’m deeply saddened by the loss of life,” he said. “It’s tragic what happened to him. Hopefully, we can change the system that’s so desperately failed us.”

But when asked if he would take action again if he were in a similar situation, Penny nodded.

“You know, I live an authentic and genuine life,” Penny said. “And I would — if there was a threat and danger in the present …”

Does he feel he did anything to be ashamed of?

“I don’t, I mean, I always do what I think is right.”

This is the NPR version.

Penny added that Neely's death was tragic and the real blame should be on "the system."

"It's tragic what happened to him. Hopefully, we can change the system that's so desperately failed us," he said.

Penny went on to say that he felt no shame. When asked if he would do it again, he nodded and said, "I would — if there was a threat and danger in the present."

Same quotes I read, textbook psychopath.

Although I can't be racist I wanted to go to Africa is a new one.

😕

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Nah , here's right. The system is failing the people.

The city’s beleaguered transit system has already seen people violently shoved from the platform at least 25 times this year, eclipsing the total from last year, sources said on Wednesday.

Advertisement