Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I'm not sure about that. Kilkenny and Galway may beat us but not the rest. Our record against non Munster teams since 2016 is exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sickening that it could of been the Ultimate record if we got over the line against Galway in 2017

Yeah its so downhearting watching the 2 games today. Even Davy must be having 2nd thoughts about his role here

Our neighbours Wexford in a spot of bother. Lost at home to Westmeath and possibly looking at relagation (they lose to Kilkenny and Antrim beat Westmeath)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

The goal chances we left behind in the 1st half were headwrecking.carved open the meath defence on numerous occasions.

Our kickouts are absolutely killing us all season,especially when we try to go short..leaving ourselves open to losing possession.

Definitely improving on the attacking front,players confidence/self belief has improved.

Still awaiting to find out where the tipperary game will be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Wexford in deep s**t. How did that happen. Annus Horribiliis. Can't blame Davy on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭914

Unless he left a thundering **** storm behind him and broke the county board

Flashbacks to Jedward playing in Fraher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭914

I wouldn't be so sure, we've struggled against Dublin in the last two league meetings, we struggled against Laois (Joe Mc team) recently too despite a late surge and it could be argued that we have got worse since then!

Yes it was only league but we can't even use the excuse that we were "saving ourselves for the Champion"

I would have championed that we would walk out of Leinster with our eyes closed but based on the past two championship seasons I wouldn't be so sure anymore.

They are league games though. Played in February when teams are missing players. Would we have left Dessie on the line for so long against Dublin if it was championship? Though maybe someone would argue we'd bring him on and play him around the half back line 😂

The other thing is Munster means that every blow is a funeral as all matches are difficult. Leinster has Antrim and Westmeath and then Dublin and Wexford. You don't need to peak every week.

Don't get me wrong, we are in a mess and falling further behind the other Munster counties. But from watching the Leinster championship and the poor record of Leinster teams at under 20/21 up to Kilkenny last year I think most Leinster counties are also falling behind the other Munster counties. Galway and Kilkenny possibly at that level as well but a bit soon to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭DeHorse88

Liam Cahill has proven himself to be a top manager and he hasn’t won a Championship title yet. He gets some consistency in his teams playin a real good brand of hurling. The problem was that he wasn’t from Waterford unfortunetly so was always heading back to Tipp. I firmly believe had he stayed with Waterford they would be pushing for qualification at the very least.

How the committee went for the lazy option in Davy Fitz after a real good appointment in Cahill is baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Because he must have been ‘cheap’…..and the only applicant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Do we just accept that we have fallen that far behind this quickly though? We beat Tipp 4 times on the trot between league and championship the past 2 seasons now apparantly light years behind them all of a sudden. Something is clearly amiss.

As much as I really enjoyed the games today I couldn’t help thinking about our own predicament and we’re we should be. Looking at Clare in Cusack Park and the crowd and atmosphere and passion there. There’s no reason why we can’t have that next year in a newly refurbished Walsh Park. As another poster said we should be aiming for at least 2 wins it’s not too late to turn things around with this group of players. But the setup needs to be right and someone needs to be capable of making some big decisions quickly for that to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

It was nearly a relief we weren't in action this weekend, I couldn't stomach another demoralising defeat two weeks running but it just means we have it in store for next weekend. Also depressing that every Munster game seems to be an absolute classic with the common denominator being that they don't involve us. On the contrary, any game we're involved in just stinks the place out.

Looking to next year, it will at least be good to have proper home games but it will be Cork and Tipp coming to Walsh Park, meaning visits to Limerick and Ennis - two places you could nearly call right now we'll struggle in and have awful records at. The reality of this round robin is you really need to somehow come up with a win away from home and those two locations above for next years away games already fill me with dread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Last year Tipperary lost all four games most experts said they were 2/3 years away from a decent team/being contenders again. In the mean time Cahill and Co move in and they are suddenly all Ireland contenders. They have a lot of ‘non house hold’ names and other players with limited inter county experience and yet look what Cahill has been able to do in 3 games…….it’s just perplexing at how far waterford have fallen back in 12 months…..they look like a junior B team in comparison to the other 4 in munster…..if Fitzgerald is given the 🥾 is there anyone who could turn the current players around and make them competitive again…..or were we just playing above ourselves under cahill and there is just not the talent there…😡 as usual time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭5948ai

Tipp have been competitive underage the last few years whereas we haven't. Cahill has started throwing in some of these lads this year and they're showing they can stand up to be counted. Unfortunately we've no where near the same crop of underage players to pick from. This coupled with our 2013 minor winning team fizzling out means we have a few barren years ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

The round robin munster championship has just exposed what few resources we have . For us to be competitive we would have to have most of our big names in form and fully fit having a manager who knows what he’s doing would also be a help . Nothing is going to change in near future , if nothing else at season end need a public clear the air statement what went bloody wrong . It would also be sickening waiting all these years if limerick got knocked out early and we aren’t even at the party .

I wouldn't hold my breath for a 'public clear the air statement'.

Yesterday's Munster action was full blooded in comparison to the anaemic fare we've been serving up. Limerick & Tipp were both punch drunk by the end. It will be hard for Tipperary to replicate that effort next weekend but luckily for them, they are more than likely to get through irrespective of what happens in their match.

If Waterford come with a bit of self belief and no half baked game plan, they could get an unlikely victory. However, that might save the current management's bacon and who wants that. The other selectors are equally culpable if they're having an input into allowing this brain dead hurling to prevail ; if they're just allowing Davy to have all it his own way, that's even worse.

Let’s be realistic there will be no clearing of air or victory next Sunday .

Does accountability lie on the County Board for our very possible dark hurling intercounty future ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

Course it does the fact we have two county boards is probably the main issue..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

Waterford footballers playing tipperary in tailteann cup on Saturday June 3rd at 1pm in pairc ui chaoimh.

Double header with cork and kerry at 3pm.

Liam Cahill be watching from the stands on Sunday after his red yesterday

• Advertisement

Probably outnumber the Waterford supporters who will travel

For anyone who missed it, Nigel Kelly interviewed Brian Flannery and Fergal Hartley last Saturday on wlr in relation to senior hurling, underage hurling and club hurling in Waterford. You can listen back on the wlr website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Limerick v cork on rte

tipp v waterford on gaa go

According to here anyway:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Wasn't Fergal Hartley part of the committee who brought the circus back into Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

There is a rumour going around that the circus might be leaving town on Sunday night. Nobody going to see it anymore.

I'm away so glad to see that I can catch the match on GAAGO. No idea what to expect but surely some changes must be made to the starting line up. Wonder if Kiely has recovered from his recent injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

I doubt many will travel from Waterford next Sunday.

Advertisement