Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

Kilkenny should still play a strong team next weekend and inflict a defeat on Wexford, They celebrate the last few years they beat us in any kind of game like an All Ireland, obviously it goes without saying that Kilkenny do not risk any players that are carrying any knocks/niggles.

A few players like Wally,Billy Drennan should be started to get them up another few notches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

If there's a winner between Limerick and Cork, the Tipperary v Waterford result will be irrelevant. It'll be Clare, Tipperary and the winner of Limerick/Cork going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭conor05

To be fair to Tipperary, Liam Cahill has them hurling some stuff.

Its very hard to say at the minute who will land the All Ireland which will make the next few months top notch!

Kilkenny are right up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I have a feeling that Wexford losing to Westmeath will make next week a far more difficult game for Kilkenny, this Wexford team is most comfortable playing against Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

It's now 3 weeks to a Leinster final with our spot secured on head to head with Dublin. I'd be very surprised if Lyng doesn't rest the core of the starting 15 and plays the panel. No point going down to Wexford Park with their backs to the wall and getting in a war 2 weeks before our biggest game of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Tallis was sub goalie, is Brennan injured? Richie Reid will do well to be back for the leinster final hopefully I'm wrong.Scruff will probably be rested.

This is a great match for lyng to test a few lads who haven't got much game time because Wexford are fighting for their lives. Drennan will probably play for tj. Adrian mullen didn't look right after that early injury.delaney,Kenny,Alan Murphy could do with this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

100%

Drennan, Clifford, Dunne, Paddy Mullen, WW, Hogan (if fit) must start

Golden chance to get championship play in to them, even if Limerick dont win AI, we wont capitilise with yesterday's team, it's not strong enough. At least two of the above have to catch fire for us to have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jonniegoogle

I'd have to disagree about resting players. At the moment we need as much game time to work on the style of play especially against a team that plays a short game/sweeper. There's no doubt Wexford will bring fire to it but we haven't been setting the world on fire so far so I'd be thinking keep working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

The one match in Leinster that I was looking forward to is now a non event. We had 10 Mins v Galway at Championship level and the first 20 mins v Dublin at championship level. If Kilkenny lose the Leinster final we will be likely going in against a battle hardened Limerick team

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

I agree on this - we'll be resting for 6 months after it all. Some minor tweaks but that team needs some further testing to work out the problems. We were very poor for the first 10 minutes against Dublin. Wexford will bring a different test to Galway and I'd argue that last year we learned more from them than the other matches - particularly in the use of the ball, which stood to us in the final against Galway. There's the opportunity to bring lads on but the jersey should be earned lads should be tearing to hold onto it - this resting thing is a soccer concept in my opinion. If you drop the standard and stop picking on form/training then you know what you'll end up with. Kilkenny should be going into this match relishing the challenge and meeting it head on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

Resting players is fairly common in most team sports, hell Leinster rest their key players for most of the season in Rugby. Also without trying out players when we have the opportunity to we never get to test the squad depth. We don't necessarily need to change the full first 15 but it's a good chance to test some players like Drennan, Delaney,Tallis and maybe Clifford who could be key players in the future in a match with a lot at stake for one team compared to meaningless league or Walsh Cup matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Very early to know yet but it didn't look great. Hopefully it's not serious but if he's out I'd like to see someone like Delaney tried at 6. It's a game kk should be going to win given or poor recent record. 5 or 6 changes with the core group playing Is what I'd be hoping.

Scruff,tj,mullen and Richie will probably be rested. Tallis or Brennan,drennan,Delaney,Alan Murphy and cian Kenny will hopefully play. Shane walsh and Clifford hopefully see gametime.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Darren Brennan tore his calf in training after the Antrim match. I heard yesterday that Richie Reid fractured his ankle, but don't know if that's 100% confirmed. The last thing we need is to pick up more injuries against a wounded Wexford team who will undoubtedly come out al guns blazing after the weekends **** show against Westmeath. I wouldn't be making wholesale changes but for the like of Adrian Mullen and Billy Ryan who picked up knocks during the game there's no need to risk them. Also, we're going to need big contributions from the like of Wally, Billy Drennan, Cian Kenny, Alan Murphy off the bench before the end of the year, it would be ideal to get game time into them in a good competitive match and have real competition for places! Be great to get some game time into Mikey Carey also, if Richie Reid is going to be out for a while it's vital we get him up to speed. I think we're building nicely as the year is going on and hopefully we're building up to peak at the right time, the Munster championship has been very entertaining but I wouldn't be fearful of facing any of them, not saying we'll beat them all but I think we're as good as any of them on our day and this championship is wide open for anyone to go and win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Id certainly play Billy Ryan, he needs to find some form, has been very poor so far this year, Tom Phelan has surely gone ahead of Ryan in the pecking order. Phelan was excellent when Kilkenny were trying to get back in the game in the first half.

Yeah I was always a bit sceptical of Tom Phelan but he has really impressed me the last couple of games, I think his movement and direct running really caused the Dublin defence problems and in that he offers something our other forwards don't! I thought Billy Ryan was beginning to get into the game on Saturday before he got the bang on the side of the head when the Dublin defender swung back on him, it happened right in front of us and you could hear the smack that he got and he didn't do much after that. If there is no lasting affects I'd play him too, he seems to be on the verge of finding a bit of form and a decent run out against Wexford might do him no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Tom Phelan was good in an attacking sense but was targeted a huge amount on Dublin puck outs. The man carrying the ball ran past him nearly every time. Dublin targeted that wing a lot in the second half with Sutcliffe causing a lot of bother for Corcoran

Yeah that's a fair point, we left an awful lot of room in front of Darragh Corcoran and as you say especially in the second half Dublin definitely targeted that wing. Sutcliffe is arguably there best forward from play so we knew there would be a good bit of ball coming down that wing all it would have took is one of the midfielders or wing forwards to drop in front of the space in front of him. Thought our puck outs have been getting better also, we still go long most of the time but at least now we do seem to be hitting it into space and having the forwards moving into the space rather than just lumping it down on top of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

Ì think that Kilkenny should play their first 15 against Wexford at least for the first 45 minutes. The team struggled with adopting a different plan against Dublin and needs every opportunity to try and develop it. Maybe give Billy Drennan a start. Wally, Clifford etc can be given the last 25 minutes to gain experience.

It will be interesting to see how Kilkenny cope with Wexford as they haven't done well previously. I would be interested in seeing Kilkenny push forward to prevent short puckouts as I think this should be the plan in the Leinster final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Will Kilkenny throw the game to keep Wexford from going under? Better for Kilkenny to have Wexford still in Leinster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

This must be a Wexford person, I think you can clearly see we don't really want to go down to Wexford park and lose again even if the result doesn't effect us, winning is a good habit and hopefully we can keep it going .

I would not play Adrian Mullen, didn't seem himself after an early knock on Saturday. Likewise I would rest TJ.

Team I'd go with for Sunday.

1. Scruff

2. Delaney ( deserves a chance in my view)

3. Lawlor

4. Tommy

5. Blanchfield

6. Padraig

7. Corcoran

8. Deegan

9. P Mullen/Alan Murphy

10. Tom Phelan

11. Donnelly

12. Wally

13. Drennan

14. Mossy

15. Eoin Cody

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Disagree. We need a strong Wexford in the Leinster Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

As a Wexford person myself I'll just say I'd be very hesitant to criticise amateur players but the 2nd half of our game last Sunday was the most complacent I've ever seen from an intercounty team in any code it was shameful stuff, if we drop down certainly don't have any sympathy its up to those players to sort the weather its a win or draw next Sunday or winning Joe Mcdonagh next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Marrooned

If I understand this right They want to ban Liam Cahill even for training for four weeks. Is the GAC gone f…..g mad or what. He called Jesse Owens a dick head I didn’t think you could be sanctioned for telling the truth

Last month - "it's shocking the abuse officials take, something has to be done"

This month - "sure he is a dickhead"

It seems excessive to ban him from training (how do you even police that) but if proper punishment isn't handed down at the top level then wheres the deterrent at any level to stop abusing officials.

Edit: the ban only applies on match days is my reading of it. It just means he can't do the warm up or interact with the team from the time they hit the stadium.

Post edited by JJs Left Hand on

Do we? As long as Kilkenny are top of the tree I don't care about the others. Even from a competitive point of view, we need strong teams in Leinster, doesn't matter if it's Wexford or Westmeath or Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Marrooned

It seems to me that it is a total ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

Wexford beat Kilkenny twice this year u20 and generally have been at a similar level to us underage. Westmeath are always capable of causing an upset as they did against us at u21 level a number of years ago. We could face a similar threat as Wexford are facing in the next 5 years particularly as Offaly are on the rise again. Wexford supporters have been amongst the best in the country but if they are relegated they can't expect any special treatment

Advertisement