Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going out on my own. Some questions.

Options
  • 08-05-2023 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I've been out of the game for a while and am getting back in.

Have the testing and verification course booked for the end of the month and I am looking for some general info.

What's the current version of the regulations. I have the 2008 version but there has been quite a few updates since then. Is it IS.10101?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

I've got this. Is it sufficient for purely domestic work or would you get the full regs too?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

433.1 ring circuits. I was under the impression these were no longer allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I would say he's wrong

4mm radial is preferable to 2.5 ring final circuits for domestic work

He's also advocating 20anp protection for either , presumably to mitigate risk with rings .It's better to use the 4sq imo and get the proper capacity from the circuit

Dunno the current rules on rings but I wouldn't go by his opinion anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Ring final circuits are completely acceptable, although within the State unfused spurs are not permitted. (They are allowed in the north.)

There's nothing wrong with a properly designed and erected ring final circuit, adequately tested. However there is no sense in installing one and protecting it with a 20A circuit protective device - it removes the primary benefit of having a ring circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

That guide appears to be random waffle based on the excerpts posted

There was no issue with with unfused spurs to single sockets( in the old rules) but there was the problem of the unfused spurs being extended

I reckon the ring final circuit is best left to commercial/ industrial where there's generally qualified electricians working.

Domestic the handyman is allowed to add sockets so the potential for breaks and extended unfused spurs is higher

Purely my opinion of course .

The domestic rules are designed to idiot proof the installation with DP main isolation and 30mA protection on lights etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I know completely what you're saying, but I guess it would be fair to ask how far we can/should mitigate against incompetent alterations to electrical installations? Really education would be better here, in that people should understand that they must not alter electrical installations if they are not adequately trained and competent in what they are doing.

Advertisement