Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

These incursions into Russia unchallenged must have other countries looking very interested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭amandstu

How long can the regime in the Kremlin tolerate military incursions into its territory?

This must be utterly demoralizing for the public that acquiesces in its hold on power.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Lads, who fancies going over and liberating some of Siberia? At this rate, a bunch of us could begin Ireland's imperial conquest

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The Chinese might just get there before us , being a sizeable number of Chinese migrants call Siberia home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Long live the Irish Empire! A GAA club and tidy towns committee in every town in Russia will sort the place out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Does seem almost laughable how exposed their border is.

All Eyes On Rafah

They don't seem to be overly bothered do they , there not rushing forces into the area and they aren't withdrawing forces from Ukraine to deal with it ,

I still don't believe that the Ukrainan military has any control over whats going on , which could cause difficulties behind the scenes, yes everyone will come out and say ah yeah we're happy this is happening it's all part of the "big plan"

I don't think it is part of any plan I think it's forces operating under the Ukrainans gone rogue and doing their own thing,

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭denismc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Ukraine needs to find the softest Russian underbelly along the frontline, at which to concentrate its counterattack.

Whether Ukraine controls them actively or passively -or even not at all-, having deniable assets like these Russian units probe that frontline for them, is very useful both tactically and strategically.

Well we better get going then. Early bird worm, etc

*checks ryanair flights*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Giving how easy it is for them to go over the border imo the best thing these anti Putin russian groups could do is to coordinate a mass attack at them same time say 20 different towns to coincide with the Ukrainian offensive. That would be massively damaging to the Russians and f with their heads. No doubt it would cause a lot of infighting with the higher ups as to where to put troops. Either way it would weaken them and make look more Russian cub than bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

These incursions are great, the old rules of the war were ridiculously asymmetric in favour of Russia. It's like being in a fight and only being allowed to block and not hit back. They always needed to create real jeopardy(i.e. risk of loss) for Russia to bring them to any reasonable negotiating position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Its more plausible that Ukraine has seen an opportunity fall into its lap, where dissident Russians are being armed and supported by Ukraine, there could possibly be expat Russians living in Ukraine that volunteered for these guerilla tactics.

Either way, Russians will be furious about this development and hopefully question and look more closely at what their country under Putin are doing. Will it motivate some to JOin the Russian forces, possibly, but unless they are experienced & trained individuals all they would contribute to is the growing number of Russian body bags.

Does Russia have an extradition treaty with Ukraine?

They could ask nicely.

If these Russians set up a gofundme page they would qualify as mercenaries and be welcomed home with open arms.

I am laughing now and hope it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

3 separate gray zones within Belgorod oblast now, turning up the heat on them.

Judging by the extent of what they're doing its deliberate to provoke a response from the Kremlin and see troops moved to the border here away from occupied territories.

If this works here in Belgorod, similar will happen in Kursk too

Yes a very good tactic.

"Fly like a butterfly and sting like a bee."

Also good to demonstrate that not all Russians are degenerates or internal to degenerates.

Even so ,under normal conditions even degenerate's borders deserve respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

I do know you said it as a joke but I raised it a year ago. I do not think of it as them joining NATO, but eventually this war will be over. Eventually Putin will be dead. Eventually Russia must look at its place in the World. Russia is not the Warsaw pact and it is not the USSR. On a world stage it does not have a large population and demographics are not on its side.

In 20 years time, Russia will no longer be fighting in Ukraine. Its army will take decades to rebuild even to to the 3rd rate joke it was at the start of this war. It will be a geographically large country with a falling aging population but with huge natural resources. Russias mistake has been misidentifying its major treat. NATO since its inception never sought to do anything other than defend its members from Aggression. There was/is not/never will be a plan by NATO to invade Russia/Warsaw pact/USSR, they were always content to simply trade with Russia for its resources whilst holding a big stick saying "do not attempt to aggress against us".

China on the other hand!! Large Chinese populations in Eastern Russia, in poorly defended resource rich areas. I am an old idiot, and I can see where Russia's future security treats lies. They are incapable other then with Nuclear sabre rattling of defending the challenge and I suspect in the next 3 to 5 decades we will see the rise of Chinese nationalist movements and "little green men in eastern Siberia.

Where will Russia look to for an Ally then? Iran? Syria? **** No!!

• Advertisement

USSR asked too.

From one of my favourite youtube channels...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,417 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭jmreire

3 to 5 decades? You are being very generous, maybe 10-15 or even less. Will all depend on how Russia finishes in this war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Here's the full list on the website of the German government:

Military support for Ukraine | Federal Government (bundesregierung.de)

Berlin has definitely woken up, that's for sure. There are even deliberations going on with regards to Germany supporting the F-16 initiative, despite the fact that Germany doesn't operate any F-16s. Boris Pistorius, the minister of defense, is tight-lipped about the details, but I wouldn't be surprised if some mothballed air base in Southern Germany suddenly starts seeing traffic again...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Her and Micks supporters now are the conspiracy nutjobs, anti-covid, anti-immigrant and general malcontents. Theres a lot more of those weirdos out there than you think. Only thing is if they aren't too lazy to actually go out and vote on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The beauty of these incursions is that before them Russia were only concerned about defending the front-lines in red.

Now they have the worry about defending the blue front-lines as well.

Any resources required to beef that up are going to be taken from the red areas, thereby weakening them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

YES it does depend on this war and where and how it finishes jmreire, to an extent. I think that extent is whether a regime change occurs in Moscow as a result of this war or not, I cannot predict that. However, the 3 to 5 decades I am predicting is because I am allowing for the fact the China has another issue on its plate, Taiwan.

I believe China will at some point move for both Siberia and Taiwan. However I do not think the Chinese are as stupid as Russia. They have infinite patience and I think Siberia will look very much like like Crimea in 2014. They will wait until the demographics there are right and the Chinese population is an absolute majority. Then it will be "little green men" thus denying Russia the opportunity of using a nuclear deterrent against a conventional invasion force.

Taiwan will be far more difficult.

PS> oddly two of the resources in Siberia I am talking about are not what many might suspect. People I am sure will assume, minerals and oil. The key resources are actually water and farmland (climate change).

When it comes to implicitly supporting Russia in the West it is a case of the Horse-Shoe Theory in action. Daly and Wallace represent the far left part of the horseshoe. As such they aren't anti-immigration. The far right part of the horseshoe will get that support. So basically the people complaining about Ukrainian migrants will vote for the National Party, Irish Freedom party or "concerned" independents.

Daly & Wallace will instead be fishing from the pool of people with Cuba, Venezuela and Nicaragua flags in their twitter bio whose entire geopolitical outlook can be distilled down to "Whoever opposes the USA must be correct". These people who see themselves as the polar-opposite end of the spectrum on the migration issue.

And yeah as you say the complete nut-job conspiracy theorists are unlikely to vote at all since they likely don't trust or believe in the system.

In an earlier post I pointed out that Daly was helped out in her election in 2019 by the failure of the SF candidate to retain their seat. The exact same thing happened in Wallace's constituency. Liadh Ní Riada basically lost her seat to Wallace. Come the next election I expect a lot of that vote will return to whoever runs for SF.

I've see a lot of jokes about that T-14. It seems like it's the Loch Ness Monster of this conflict.

This is from wikipedia:

So basically....it's a tank that they're using like a piece of artillery (possibly towed artillery)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement