Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upfront with Katie Hannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

The govt should grow a pair. What’s wrong at this point in closing the doors? I know we’re probably obligated to take in Ukrainians due to an EU agreement and that’s fine but besides that, just summarilky dismiss any new applicants and triage the list of applicants in place to decide on the cases worthy of further investigation and let those that aren’t off as well. We can’t house the number here as is. No point in taking in more and soft discussions aren’t going to have a major difference if someone is determined. I have the impression we’re perceived as a soft touch location because we’re inefficient and once you’re here if you make enough noise we’ll probably keep you. We have a problem as a country that we always want to be seen as the good guys and not make waves. Instead we end up with half hearted policy that sort of does tge job but never really solves the problem.

• She is extremely tense in person, no more than I would be but I’m not presenting a major current affairs show on national television. Claire Byrne was very chilled out, whatever else one thinks of her. I was tasked to take a pic of Katie al with Lucy (the immigrant worker) who was sat beside me. Lucy was a lovely girl, very friendly and she managed to break her glass of water, she was morto!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

100% agree.

And the defence of this policy always seems to be some nebulous ideology or, if all else fails, resort to the well-trotted line of "but, but, but the Irish emigrated during the famine". I would love for someone, anyone, to respond to that misleading bullshit by stating that the famine was an actual humanitarian crisis with people dying in ditches. What's happening in Brazil, South Africa, etc. that is in any way comparable to the famine?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Brazilian lad has been found out.

Saw on Twitter he has been touring all over Europe.

Wasn't too happy when someone filmed him and called him an economic migrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Spot on New, all of which we have commented on in earlier posts.

Hannon has been promoted above her level of competence in my opinion.

Its very simple, she was in her element with the format of the late debate on radio where she could surround

herself with a bunch of lefties and one Govt. rep. usually fairly junior and spend the hour trying to kick lumps out

of the poor unfortunate with the lefties backing up the attacks.

She can’t do that on the TV programme.. and that’s where all the problems emanate from.

Regarding the intros - why oh why do RTE insist on trying to inject so called ‘trivialities’ into the intros of

what’s supposed to be a serious current discussion…they have dumbed down other programmes esp on radio

with the same stupid approach.

Doesnt look like anyone out there has seen the light yet.

Current affairs presenters make bad comedians…….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Claire Daly is on tonight. Looking like she's just been rescued from a desert island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

• Registered Users Posts: 82,783 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Mass extinction event, lol, talk about running out of ideas to put fear in to people now that the Covid beauty is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Loving it so far tonight. It's like a TV version of Liveline.

M

Topic change in the next minute or so when it's just getting juicy 🤔

• Advertisement

• Next topic might be interesting… have a chat with Putin, sure he has a soft touchy-geeky side to him.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭bigroad

Embarrassing.

M

We already did negotiate with our aggressor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭bigroad

Yea sure maybe a nice little meeting with Putin for some afternoon Tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Was there really a reason to terminate it like that?

Was John Kelly going to complain that his pre recorded programme started ten minutes late or was the cameraman going to walk out?

Other live shows have ran late in the past. I bet the Late Late won't finish dead on schedule next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's still all very amateurish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

After hearing about the threat of right wing extremism all week, what the hell is the supporter of a criminal warmongering nationalist doing on the nation's premier politics show?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

no, Mick Wallace isn't with her tonight...

Should have stuck to the CO2 reduction angle, wasn't enough time to cover biodiversity and Michael Fitzmaurice had an answer for that anyway, we're one of the most biodiverse regions in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Clare Daly an absolute disgrace last night

Even worse was Katie Hannon giving her the leeway to shout and roar at people, especially actual Ukrainian refugees.

Did anyone catch Katie saying 'sorry about that' to Clare at the end of the show? A thundering disgrace of a show, moderated by an incompetent overpaid presenter hosted by a National Broadcaster that has utterly lost its way. It's no wonder people hate RTE so much, it's a crying shame, as we need a strong National Broadcaster.

But the new Elite has taken it over and is using it as a political mouthpiece

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

What did she say that was a disgrace?

I didn't see it all but I saw the first 5 minutes and the Ukrainians in the audience obviously don't know anything about Irish history.

They just kept repeating "Imagine if Ireland was invaded, would you ever negotiate?" eh..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's getting hard to keep up with all the people allegedly taking over RTE.

Some will assure you it's a hotbed of lefties others say it's in thrall to a right wing government.

Now we are told it's being used as a political mouthpiece by the new Elite.

Gawd help us all !

People go on about if Ireland was invaded...

The last time Ireland was invaded was in 1798 by the French, but usually, people referred to the Norman invasion of 1169.

We are talking about a modern invasion by a Nuclear power that wants to take over the state of Ukraine and subsume it into a new Russia Empire.

Talk of the GFA is nonsense because they are very different things, not least because a majority of the North wants to remain in the Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

🤣 What are you on about?

100 years ago when Ireland was fighting for independence Britain was much more dominant in the world than Russia is now.

Sinn Fein are the biggest party in the north as well now in case you hadn't noticed so you're incorrect on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

What I heard didn't make much sense to me. Putin is a deranged dictator and history has thought us there can be no peaceful solutions when dealing with such types.

🙈🙉🙊

SF being the biggest party in the North does not mean that the North will vote tomorrow to leave the Union and join the Republic.

100 years ago, Ireland was fighting the British (and ourselves) because Ireland has been ruled by the Normans/English/British in one form of another for hundreds of years. However, the British didn't invade Ireland in 1916.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,130 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sure tell the Ukrainians, it will all be rosy eventually, just sit it out, keep the head down, in hundreds of years you will have no cause for complaint.

It is basically the point you are making.

The Ukrainians are right to fight and should do, for how ever long it takes, is the answer for the Ukrainian member of the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

didnt watch because I couldn’t stomach the thought of Clare Daly let alone having to sit through her drivel.

As I see it the Ukrainians should fight and we should help them as much as is in our power do so so. They’re saving our bacon. We can be quite comfy thinking we’re part of tge EU which is fine but if Ukraine rolled over 15 months ago, he’d be eyeing up somewhere else or also looking to disrupt neighbouring EU countries, therefore creating an immediate problem fir us all. That’s all CD and MW are. Paid Russian shills designed to cause disruption. I’d disavow them and strip them if their citizenship if I could. They don’t deserve it and if Putin’s cash is good for them, he can hang onto them as well. I’d doubt he’d be as generous in that case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭SlowChris

Thought Katie was a bit better last night on the first topic regarding farmers. She is from Kerry herself, so I wonder if her own knowledge on farming helped her call things out.

I thought the topic itself wasn't greatly organised, was a bit all over the place. To be honest, I'm a farmer and that was the first I heard of a supposed land grab.

There was a lot of stats and figures thrown around that were all different from each other.

The main rebuttal of Gibbons et al should be all the things farmers are doing to support biodiversity that are linked to their payments.

And species have been going extinct since the beginning of time. If humans were around during the time of the dinosaurs, our actions would probably be blamed for their extinction. Earth and it's species have been going through a constant change since it existed. Yet people out there thing NOW is the time where everything stands still and is perfection.

We can be perfect humans and still one day the sun will burn out and all live on earth will be extinct.

They call this the 6th mass extinction which means 5 mass extinctions happened previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I’d respectfully suggest that Hannon knows as much about farming as Dobbo knows about Junior hurling.

Advertisement