Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

No need for a foreign center signing, Osbourne should be backed, and there's Frawley to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,712 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We're the second best team in Europe by a point, thinking it needs to be ripped up and changed is melodramatic at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,916 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mistske

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

Maybe the frustration of loosing again to the same team for the 3rd year in a row. In 2 finals that the same issues occur, this is a concern.

LAR added to their team last summer and will add again this summer. So will Toulouse. Leinster will add little to nothing I would imagine. The others and constantly evolving while Leinster keep doing the same thing over and over and falling short at the final hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

We aren't signing Willemse. If he was to leave SA he either goes for cushy number in Japan or big money in France.

There might be some international retirements come on the market post world cup.

I think a big scrummaging tight head or loose head or a top class 9 would be high on my list. (which is pretty similar to what everyone is looking for and therefore pretty rarely available)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Or he could have come on, given away two stupid penalties and La Rochelle would have won by 7

That's not true though, some of the guys come out of the academy and develop far quicker into meaningful contributors that people realise.

As recently as Christmas 2021 Joe McCarthy wasn't really on people's radar, yet he made his debut the next month and then ended the season on the bench for the European Cup Final.

Nobody saw Rob Russell coming through to score 10 tries this season.

As recently as September and the Emerging Ireland tour, I'd have had serious reservations about Michael Milne, and despite some difficult days at the end of the season he's still had a great season and will push himself for a lot of minutes next year.

A fit and healthy Tommy O'Brien is like a new signing in the outside backs.

You never really know how quickly some of the young players can make the step up. Jamie Osborne a prime example.

I'd be really hopeful guys like Jack Boyle, Ben Murphy, Tom Clarkson and Alex Soroka can make meaningful progress over the next 12 months.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Yeah you make good points about the lads coming through and I know it takes time for lads to develop. I can't see how any of them will help the squad get over the line in the next 2 seasons. Maybe McCarthy will help.

I suppose 1 or 2 established high level players being brought would probably push the team on to get over that final hurdle. I know this is not always the case and these signings won't happen but it would be good if they look be looked at as an option.

I don't doubt tbf that they're keeping tabs of what's available out there. Players have agents after all - so they're in the business of shopping them.

TBF - the signing of Charlie Ngatai was relatively astute.

Leinster are in a weird position though where I feel because of the quality of the squad and the strength in depth, and the fact we're bulk suppliers to Ireland, conversely it means the IRFU are even less likely to sanction the signing of a really big name, big budget NIQ.

Yeah I agree about the weird position, it seems like they would never be allowed a top level signing compared to others regardless of finances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

The priority of the provinces isn't developing players for the national team, its winning.

As the national team funds the pro game and pays the bills for all the provinces, I suspect they might disagree.

Ah look, I share your frustration. I just disagree that the problem is personnel as I think the current squad has enough talent to win a Champions Cup, and I disagree that the IRFU would approve signing a NIQ fly half anyway.

I still don't understand why the game management and decision making changed from excellent to poor in the middle of the final and I think fixing that, rather than changing personnel, is the solution. Maybe the coaches need to be more aggressive in making substitutions earlier, maybe the mental prep is off and the players are too anxious so are more prone to mistakes when playing for Leinster instead of Ireland, maybe the coaches and players should have changed tactics earlier when LaR were dominating.

I think lots of things could have been the problem over the weekend, but I don't think talent is a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Blut2

Harry Byrne is in the same category as Ross currently - a good outhalf, and perfectly suitable for mid-season games, but not going to win the top European games at the sharp end of the season. There would be no need to keep both of them if an NIQ player game in.

The expense Leinster can afford. It also mightn't be as high as other teams would have to pay to attract the talent. For a top NIQ player Leinster are a very attractive option - probably the second best team in Europe, one of the best in the world, with very high odds of winning silverware.

And on top of all of that, if they're stepping into Sexton's role, Leinster would be in a position to tell the player they won't be flogged playing every minute of every game like they would be in other countries. Which would be a huge bonus for players just coming out of a world cup that would likely lower the required payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I literally don’t think that leinster can sign an NIQ without IRFU approval.

There is no way that the other provinces for one would be ok with that never mind the IRFU. Leinster have a ton of out halves. You’d need to somehow push some of them out first.

Don't necessarily agree on Harry, and don't think we've seen enough of him yet. He's only 7 months older than Jack Crowley, but Crowley is being treated as the heir apparent while Harry is being discarded now. I think Harry has a ceiling a fair bit higher than Ross, albeit Ross probably has a higher floor.

I cannot see a scenario where we'd ever discard two home grown, international out halves who've won a lot of games for us, for a couple of seasons of an NIQ.

If we start doing things like that, then we start finding it's harder to retain all of our younger talent in other positions too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭conquestscarer

In the 40 minutes he played against Munster and the sharks he didn't concede a penalty. Can argue all day about it but Jenkins was strolling from ruck to ruck at times avoiding making any tackles. I'd rather have a player who has a go and risks the penalty rather than a flat-nothing performance.

100% agreement. I thought Joe McCarthy looked good and busy in those two appearances, just didn't really get enough time. He was noticeably getting his hands on the ball a bit more I felt, while still putting the energy into the hitting.

He's just turned 22 as well, so with a bit of experience and maturity he'll learn where the line is. I think he's a seriously exciting prospect.

He definitely has a bit of dog about him as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That email was a bit ... lacklustre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,916 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You can send them out on a one or two year loan to Connacht or Ulster giving them lots of game time to develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

But the poster wasn't questioning Leinster's ability to develop meaningful contributors, or even world class players.

The issue is that your current homegrown-pipeline policy has not been sufficient to win a Heineken Cup in the last two attempts.

Since Fardy, you have not recruited a top-tier NIQ player capable of augmenting a team of otherwise homegrown players. You have instead recruited filler who don't start if the Irish options are fit. And I don't mean that in a disparaging way, N'Gatai in particular was excellent business. But he doesn't start if Henshaw and Ringrose are fit. Meanwhile, there is not a man born to an Irish mother who would keep Brad Thorn out of a rugby team.

And that's the difference. Admirable if you continue to try capture a fifth star via NIQ moneyball, don't get me wrong, but the ceiling of this approach is becoming ever clearer.

On a related note, and though it's probably more a question Nucifora (or his successor), but if Joe McCarthy is going to miss out on a Heineken Cup final, what's the difference between him missing it for a Jason Jenkins and him missing it for Will Skelton, a Franco Mostert, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

if you continue to try capture a fifth star via NIQ moneyball

That's very clearly not the intent.

I'm sure Leo would love a Brad Thorn figure but the reality is any NIQ will be competing with a current Irish international and the IRFU will never sanction that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ugly reading this. Leinster are the best passing side in Europe. No other team has the same level of quick hands, line running and sophistication to make the line breaks they do.

La Rochelle decided the best way to stop that was to simply stop Leinster from ever playing. It takes serious tactical analysis to pinpoint where Leinster are weak and then the balls to actually implement that as your plan.

La Rochelle are the only side capable of doing this to Leinster. I don't know what Cullen and Nienaber can do to solve the issue. Perhaps takes your scores where you can; kick better and rework you defensive system to stop them from making so many metres in the carry.

The problem with this is Sexton was the best 10 in the world. So basically, who's out there that's close to Sexton? There's no Aussies, nor Kiwis. S.A have just decent out half. La Rochelle play with a good out half.

Harry Byrne just turned 24! I wouldn't write him off. The reason we lost this week has as much to do with the prep, the use of the bench and a couple of players being poor.

Just wait! Between HB and Prendergast we'll have great talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

But he wouldn't be competing with current internationals.

Suppose you had signed someone like Mostert or Skelton after Fardy left. Let's call this hypothetical player "Skeltert".

Skeltert would have started in the 2022 Heino final, moving Ross Molony to the bench ahead of Joe McCarthy.

Skeltert would have started in the 2023 Heino final, and we can assume Molony then benches if Jenkins isn't around.

In neither case would he have been competing with a current Irish international. The only Irish qualified casualty above is Joe McCarthy missing his bench spot in the 2022 final. And if you want to include him as a "current Irish international", I go back to my question above - why is it better he missed the 2023 final squad for Jenkins, over a superior player?

Or have I got this totally wrong, was McCarthy injured?

McCarthy was out for months. Just came back for 2 matches.

I see what you're saying regarding Fardy. I agree. But Leinster signed Jenkins to play that role and he's just not good enough. Leinster unearthed a gem with Fardy!

Next season, I hope to see more of McCarthy. I'd like to see more of Deeny too, although Deeny doesn't have a power game. But he is 1:99 meters and close to 18 stone.

I think it's a similar scenario for Munster, where they have a big loosehead lock, Ahern, and he's injured . You'd love to see them get a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

Deeny played 511 minutes this season, according to a post on Reddit, which is more than I had thought. I'm not convinced he has a power game though.

McCarthy played only 284 minutes, which is a shame.

Jenkins has been disappointing alright, and Leinster do seem a little short of quality there behind the first-choice options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Blut2

But thats just completely incorrect, the IRFU has sanctioned plenty of NIQ players that competed with Irish internationals. Nacewa and Kearney played alongside each other for years. Or even specifically at outhalf Contepomi competed directly with Sexton.

And thats just two examples for Leinster, nevermind the many others, or those at the other provinces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Advertisement