Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Analysis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭55Gem

I had a match whom I contacted and we figured everything out just fine, one thing was bothering me the cM value we shared seemed a bit high.

The response 'It's not my DNA it's my mother's.'😲

So no guarantee the test even belongs to the person named.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Thanks VB. I didn't realise that - most people don't read the fine print of procedures/update processes. It seems rather daft of Ancestry to do this? Last Nov is almost three months ago, why wait soo long to assign Mat or Pat? I don't see the need for the delay when the tests are done and not much will change subsequently?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

I think it's still in Beta and they only run it now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭VirginiaB

My brother has tested his DNA. His Y-DNA haplogroup is R-P312.

Family Tree DNA says it's a sub-group of R-L151.

Family Tree DNA says of those who tested, 7721 are from Ireland, 4465 from the US, 4275 from England and 133 other countries.

Can anyone shed any further light on this--all unfamiliar territory to me? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Hi, I'm working on my family tree. So far I've able to trace 6 to 7 generations back to the late 1700s early 1800s. All of whom live less than 30km apart, and all within Co Sligo. I do have lots of uncles of various Gs Gs Gs who mainly went to America with a small number to Scotland.

My first question is which DNA site is best for finding long lost cousins? Biggest user base etc and secondly what kind of test should I do to find my cousins? I find it very confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Test on Ancestry. They only have one kind of test: autosomal, which is the one you want.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I’m still a novice on DNA, but as nobody has commented will simply add that his test, like many Y-DNA does not really inform for genealogy, other than to confirm European origin with a high probability of Irish/British ancestry.

He is part of R-M269 which is the dominant haplogroup in Western Europe, and he shares with about 100 million other males (including me!).That haplogroup  increases in frequencyas one moves from east to west in Europe..

Wiki says it peaks at the national level in Wales at a rate of 92%, at 82% in Ireland, 70% in Scotland, 68% in Spain, 60% in France (76% in Normandy), about 60% in Portugal, 50% in Germany, 50% in the Netherlands, 47% in Italy, 45% in Eastern England, 43% in Denmark and 42% in Iceland. It is as high as 95% in parts of Ireland.

Thank you, Mick. That is very helpful indeed and I appreciate your taking the time. It certainly fits with what the records show, tho they only go back so far for my family--into the 1700s for some. Thanks again.

I also feel Y DNA is limited for Irish usage. I've had great success for myself and clients with autosomal (sometimes combined with X DNA) though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

I have Y-DNA 25. Was very reasonable on sale a few years back at like 50 euros or something.

I connected the results to MyHeritage website - and I have nearly 14,000 matches. The Web UI there is great - it shows you visually how you are possibly connected to someone - and I've made several matches to people that you can see visually where your trees join.

I think it was free to send your DNA results to MyHeritage - so nothing to loose sending to that site as well.

At some stage I might do the autosomal as well - there is one nagging link to the one branch that left couple hundred years ago and did well for themselves in USA I am struggling to prove the connection.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

I agree with you, I've had some happy conclusions with autosomal. Y-DNA is great for one-name studies and finding our which branch of the the O’Neill’s or the O’Brien’s/McNamara’s/McMahon’s you hail from, but unless you (a) have several close Y-cousins or (b) one has done a ‘high’ test e.g. Big Y I believe disappointment will occur. And, of course, there is a big presumption that people have the time, skills and memory to learn a new language (DNA) to understand and build on the findings.

Another issue is the NPE (Not Parent Expected/ Non Parental Event) that is very likely to happen in a 500 year timeframe. Just think back on key events in Irish history since 1500 – the Elizabethan disturbances, Desmond Rebellion, famine of 1575, Nine Years War, Battle of Kinsale, Plantation of Ulster, Rebellion of 1641 and Confederate wars, Cromwell, Williamite Wars, several famines in the 1700’s, Rebellion of 1798, famines of the early 1800’s followed by the Great Famine. Think of the displacements, the starvation, the death and destruction from war.

During one of those events Mary Murphy was on her own, cold, lonely and starving as a result of war or pestilence. Her husband was missing for months. One night she was either raped, seduced, acquiesced or simply in desperation for food and shelter was impregnated by soldier John Smith. Generations later there now are hundreds of male Murphy’s running around wondering why they have Smith Y-DNA.

One hundred and fifty years from now, how many Ukrainians will there be with Russian Y-DNA??

I don't understand how you did that.

Y-25 is a Y-DNA test. MyHeritage only does autosomal tests.

MyHeritage has great DNA tools. I actually wrote a blog about them this week.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Maybe Y-DNA can be uploaded to MyHeritage? I know Pinky you have been very positive about MyH's tools but I still find them as a test / general geno site quite useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

Doh - you are correct - its a long time since I looked at it since matches results were very very slow to come in and I just never got to give it much attention.

I just checked I uploaded the Y-25 to myFTDNA and I did upload the Y-25 DNA to MyHeritage, years ago, I can see it there now still - so they must have taken it at some stage - but its reporting no results now. Its an updated test, an Autosomal, on MyHeritage that I did about 6 or 7 years ago giving all the results.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

so R1b-P312 is one of two major branches of R1b in Western Eurasia. It in turn is divided into multiple branches, the biggest one in an Irish context is R1b-L21.

What testing did he do exactly? I'm assuming he had a SNP test, it would be unusual to just show up as R-P312* as this haplogroup dates back to the Bronze age, he probably falls under one of it's branches (but perhaps not one of big ones like L21).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

New AncestryDNA match at a relatively high level - 381cM - and she has absolutely no connection whatsoever with any part of my tree. Not even in the same places at the same times - she's showing entirely English ancestors.

There has to be a non paternal event here somewhere surely? Age and location suggests it could be her father being a granduncle of mine (who lived in England and had a lot of wives) and the cMs are in range for that.

This isn't something I'm going to broach with her!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Are you not going to engage at all or will you reply if she messages you?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I had asked her if she knew of any connection, she didn't.

I asked around my relations to see who had similar cMs and... my supposition is correct, said great uncle had an affair and his eldest daughter knew all the details. They are sure that she isn't aware; and I'm not going to be the one to tell her

Sorry - I thought you meant you didn't want to engage at all.

I didn't realise you had already exchanged some messages with the match.

Genealogy Forum Mod

There's a can of worms in every family.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I had about ten new matches on Ancestry this morning--all very low cMs and only one with any shared matches. But new is that they were all assigned maternal or paternal immediately. Previously I have had to wait for an update, months apart. Also, there is a banner saying 'Coming soon--AncestryDNA® results will be updated with even more precision in the coming weeks.' I don't know what the updates will be. Sorry about the formatting.

Post edited by Hermy on

@VirginiaB Not even that much for me. I've had no matches higher than 14cM for months. All those that I've checked at that level, both maternal and paternal have no shared matches. My unassigned matches have a 'Pending update' sticker. I've looked at the higher cM ones and have tentatively assigned them based on shared matches. We'll see............!

As before Ancestry still hasn't gotten to grips with my DNA, with all bar one of my closest matches, which I know are on my maternal side, marked unassigned.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Fraoch333

@VirginiaB Same here, I was surprised yesterday with a batch of new low cM matches being assigned to my maternal or paternal sides straight away. With no shared matches and no trees I find it's usually impossible to figure out the correct side for these matches.

There was talk a while ago about Ancestry possibly assigning matches by grandparents. That would be brilliant!

I'd also love if I could find out if say one of my paternal matches, matches on that person's maternal or paternal side. After a number of emails in both directions, I've had to give up asking a match about this, which is disappointing.

@Hermy My goodness that's such a pity. I hope either Ancestry will work it out, or the people you need to help figure things out will test.

The funny thing is Fraoch, I know exactly who my closest matches are - I know the relationships and have linked them to my tree - but for some reason Ancestry doesn't!

Genealogy Forum Mod

@Hermy I'm glad to hear that! It's strange though that Ancestry hasn't been able to assign more of your matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Hope it's OK to ask here? I bought a dna test for my niece, but I have somehow misplaced the return envelope. Does any one here know the return address for My Heritage DNA?

I tried their website but seem to get sent on an endless loop!

I'd call them - they're very responsive.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Thanks, I'll try that as they don't appear to be very efficient at replying to any other form of contact.

Advertisement