Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

There's going to be huge gaps in the GC after today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Dunbar riding well

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Very well and fair play Zanna to still be there.

Gwan Eddie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

It's amazing to see Dunbar riding with the small group of favourites this deep into the stage, although it looks like he could be suffering a bit...

If he stays in contact he could be riding to fourth? He's a minute up on Caruso & Kamna at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Riding clever too. Not for him to chase Almeida.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Almeida obviously feels really good. I'd guess this move is to try get rid of Kuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭gmacww

Ah come on Eddie.

Time for Rog to go and test them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Hanging in there... he has grit for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Rog cooked, Giro between Almeida and Thomas?

• Advertisement

Yep although the group behind are gradually coming back to them

They did an amazing job to limit that to 25 seconds. I don't think Eddie did enough to overtake Caruso unfortunately but should be in 5th if I have it right

What a ride by Eddie!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

That was brilliant. Fantastic racing.

That was great but its a pity it took two and a half weeks to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Probably as good as Eddie has ever ridden. Top company there

Thats a big moment for Eddie I think. He knows now he can ride with some of the best.

Very surprising to see Primoz not having it. He has been saying that the crash hurt him and it's looking like he wasn't playing games.

Eddie is 13 seconds back of Caruso.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Incredible to see Eddie last the pace today with Roglic and beating the likes of Caruso etc.

He’s up to 5th on GC now

He said in an interview over the weekend that he got stronger in the 3rd week of his previous Giro. Certainly makes this race far more interesting for Irish fans!

Poor old Ben Healy's taking of the KOM jersey lost in all of this

Hearing Eddie talk there it's hard not to think of the wasted years at Ineos. Assuming he keeps at the same level top 5 should be attainable. 7th and below are unlikely to threaten. Kamna the only possible threat below him but as I say if he can perform the same until the end then he should keep Kamna at bay and even pass Caruso. Unless he feels absolutely amazing I don't think he should be attacking. Just keep it up basically. The only worry is the TT but assuming the team have prepared for it he should do ok on it. All this assuming he doesn't run out of steam after a hard 3 weeks and who could really blame him if he did in his first GC attempt in a Grand Tour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Everyone I bumped into this afternoon was excited to tell me about Healy getting the KOM jersey, so I certainly think its actually out there as the big event of the day.

The thing that struck me most about Eddie was his interview. He didn't come across like a man that just climbed three cat 1's. He didn't even look like a man who did a 200km flat stage.

If he can stay that fresh he has a chance to do big things in the coming days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Finally a bit of action! Just watched the last hour. Great stage. Unbelievable ride by Dunbar, delighted for him.

If Almeida and Roglic both finish on the podium, I think I win the league. Up to 6th. Was 19th last week.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

People he can make the podium....saw no one today he needs to fear for that spot and Roglic is not good ...maybe still injured

But some riders today will be better later as they may have post rest day form

Anyway both Dunbar and Healy are big talents

Healy is even riding as Dunbar used before Ineos

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sorry to be a downer but there is a touch of the TGH Giro about this one.

I wouldn't be surprised if something is wrong with Rog because he really shouldn't be getting dropped by Thomas or end up in sprints with Dunbar.

• Advertisement

Pan flat sprint stage.

Some people are saying the break will have a chance but it'd need a lot of riders in it to have any chance and the likes of UAE, Astana and DSM will make sure that doesn't happen.

I don't expect Bahrain to do any work today as Milan is miles ahead in the points race and I think they'll relax and wait for the end of the stage.

Some people are suggesting Cavendish has a great chance in this stage but I can't see it because he hasn't shown the form to be a serious threat.

For me it's down to Milan, Ackerman, Gaviria and Dainese.

Milan will rightfully be favourite as he's been exceptional in this Giro.

Ackerman has a stage win and will be full of confidence

Gaviria hasn't got it right yet but if his team put him in position he's very dangerous.

I'm gonna pick Dainese though. He won a stage last year, has in my opinion the best final two to lead him out and has a great chance because of that.

I'll try and time it to catch the last 3km.

Advertisement