Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Monitoring/Automation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭JayBee66

What you want to do with the data will determine how you want to obtain and process that data. I read every page in this thread too. Jonathan's code was a great introduction but I soon found the Solarman integration for Home Assistant (https://github.com/StephanJoubert/home_assistant_solarman), which meant I didn't have to create bespoke software thus saving a lot of time.

Rather than reinventing the wheel, the Solarman integration for Home Assistant allows me to interrogate my system away from the inverter, which is now integrated with home energy automations.

If you can write code the I'm sure setting up Home Assistant will be an easy task for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dauhee

Thanks. I'm way too invested in what my custom stuff is doing with micopython on devices controlling heaps of stuff. Total home automation, doors, alarms, heating, warning when water has been running too long, controls movie watching and alerts me when rubbish collection days have been changed by the provider, warning when the wind is going to kick off etc, etc. I'm sure HA can do it with integrations but I have what I need for now

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dauhee

Has anyone ever read fault conditions?

what I had been doing is checking 33121 (working), 33140 (battery), 33095 (inverter) and they return different non zero numbers that I'm assuming are fault free so was going to alert if their values changed - it was a bit of a cludge, expecially as there are further registers to check for the battery health

Then as I read further in this thread, I saw someone highlighed Registers 12501-12595 are for faults/status so I get them via:

modbus.read_discrete_inputs(register_addr=12501, quantity=95)

it works fine for me - the solis doc says the maximum number of data frame bytes to pull in a go is recommended to be 100 so because these 95 are discrete maybe this is fine (I'm stretching my brain a bit here)

thanks so much @Jonathan and contributors, pysolarmanv5 makes it so easy. Now I know how much elec my kettle uses - prior to this I used to do a combination of plugging stuff into my P110 energy monitor plug, or stand at the inverter panel and get the wife to turn stuff on, which I have a strong suspicion she flicks different stuff on and off with irritation due to my shouting from the garage to "DO IT NOOOOOWWWWWW"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭championc

When people say about weather forecasts being accurate, are you comparing the actual for the day VS what was predicted at maybe midnight the night before ?

It just seems that some previous posts implied that predictions were being taken from just before each hour, which is no use for overnight charging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

In my case I keep taking the met.ie forecast on the hour every hour - albeit they don't actually change every hour. More like 4 hrs, but the reason I do it is if for some reason they change the time that they update at (11pm, 3am, 7am, etc currently), then I don't have to do anything with my code.

I then take the latest forecast that I have at 5am (usually this is the one at 3am), and then compute my SOC charge level to put into the battery. With 8.2Kwhr storage and a charge rate of 2.6Kw, 5%->100% takes about 3 hrs, so I'm done by day time rates at 9am in the summer easily. Now if the forecast was crap, and at 5am decided to go to 100% and then magically it improved and say I needed 60% at 7am, if I'm above that level then I abort.

Basically I keep it as late as I can in the night time rate to start charging but leave enough time so that I can go from 5%->100% if needed.

• Advertisement

But in terms of who is the most accurate for forecasting, you could only compare it against midnight.

Has anyone analysed midnights vs the days production ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I haven't done a "proper" analysis - although I would wonder why you would want to? The way I look at it, is that the most recent forecast (should) always be the most accurate as the window in time that it's forecasting for is closest - so in theory it should be more accurate, right?

I guess there would be random days where the 12am forecast turned out to be more accurate than the 3am, but since forecasting is effectively a game of probabilities, your odds are stacked better with the latest forecast. I do however log my predicitons and time, for example, here is todays log.

I stop updating todays predictions after 6am. The logic being that the sun is up, so the "solar radiation" for the rest of the day is actually dropping (as the sun moves across the sky during the day)

Tomorrow is interesting though. You can see that originally it had 35.05Kwh, then at 4am it upgraded it to 36.32Kwh and then 11am downgraded it etc. Basically as the day went on the forecast for tomorrow changed from Met Eireann.

Either way, it looks pretty good for tomorrow.

On days, I see large differences between Met, Solcast and Forecast

Does anyone have experience of migrating Home Assistant to another machine?

I put HA on an old laptop just to get it running but after replacing my desktop with a NUC and being very impressed (for my needs), I'd like to get another NUC to run HA (I have two Pi's and prefer not to use them for HA).

Presumably, I will lose all my historic PV data if I load up a fresh copy on the new NUC. I'd rather not lose that data. Although it is replicated, more or less, on Solarman.

The laptop ran HA on a virtual machine. On the NUC, I will probably erase Windows 11 and run the x86-64 version of HA on it so that I don't get Windows update requests, as I do on the laptop.

Maybe I could just make a copy of the current HA data. Save it somewhere and then replace the VM version of HA with the x86-64 version on the laptop and reload data. Is that doable?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The backup and restore functionality in HA is really good. I used it when migrating from a Pi to my current x86 setup. Take an existing backup from your current installation and give it a go to try it out before doing the migration proper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Not to another machine but I moved from SD Card to SSD on a raspberry Pi 4 and it all went relatively well. I used the backup and restore in HA.

The only thing I had issues with were the zigbee devices and it turns out that was just USB3 interference. Switched to USB2 which is slower but no issues since.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Best day since install. Very clear start to the day in Tullamore. Lovely FIT on that export.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭micks_address

Set up the givetcp power flow card in ha today. Nice to be able to add the zappi and Eddi and see all in one place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭randombar

I need to program an alert in so I get a notification if I am importing, over voltage today and drew from the grid rather than the battery.

Also would love to have decent control over the zappi to switch on or off the schedule, got stung for a couple of units during the over voltage time when the car was plugged in and it was scheduled to charge the car.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

HA for the notification all right, not sure about HA for the disabling of the schedule though?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Yeah it will do that too. Just change the working mode from normal to stopped.

Edit: just realised you’re talking about a zappi not an eddi. May be the same option on a zappi. But I don’t have one here unfortunately.

You can change the operating modes through HA as HotSwap says.

TBH, you're better off going all in on HA and not bothering with the MyEnergi scheduler. The integration provides services for boost and smart boost for the Eddi and Zappi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭munsterfan2

Same for zappi

So you're switching to fast mode for overnight charging so and back to eco+ in the morning?

• Advertisement

I have it always scheduled in eco+ to charge from 2 to 8, battery charges from 2 to 5. I need to automate, but at the moment the battery is active from 5am to 2am, in winter that changes to 8am to 11pm

Look up CallMeBot. You can use this to get alerts into WhatsApp.

You just need to figure out how to get HA to monitor what you want, and to send the alert to the internet.

I'm using this in Node-Red. It's great

Is there anything I can do on HA with a Phone Watch alarm system?

It uses Honeywell wireless devices to communicate with a central box, which is connected via SIM to Phone Watch and to my router via ethernet.

I might consider doing away with Phone Watch and building my own alarm system with sensors, cameras and using the above mentioned CallMeBot. I'll keep the Phone Watch box on the wall for show.

No doubt there will be home insurance ramifications for having a homebrew alarm system.

There is a system called konnected which can piggy back onto existing panels and integrate with HA. ( Waiting for permission from management before proceeding :-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭jasgrif11

What do people do to stop the double count of battery and solar in home assistant when the battery is discharging? As you can see from the Energy graph it is double counting as discharge and solar generation during the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

pls delete

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

That depends on your outputs from your power monitor/inverter montior.

For me, I use the Huawei integration and the calculation on https://github.com/wlcrs/huawei_solar/wiki/Daily-Solar-Yield

Works pretty well.

Anyone have any nice set ups in HA using Grafana? Using it for battery view but not integrated right into the main dashboard and would prefer to have a date time filter on it too.

• Advertisement

How do I go about creating an automation in HA that records the daily peak PV input, daily minimum State of Charge etc.

I want these values displayed on the HA homepage.

Thanks!

Advertisement