Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

€100 in 2020 is worth €112.98 today

Worth remembering that. Also worth noting that winter is coming and the US natural gas may be slowing.

We have aligned with the G7 against China to in Hiroshima via Ursula vob Der leyen.

Those are hyperinflation risks to my mind

In saying that I expect house prices to moderate in some places but there seems to be a lot of global risks on the table too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Wait if u can…if rent is below market, and there is no urgency to buy…dont make an emotional decision ! High interest rates, peak property prices impose lot of risk..but if u are in urgent need go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

As a recent house purchaser now sitting on their new massive couch in front of their new massive tv in their own personal unshared living room after cooking a nice meal in their own spotlessly clean unshared kitchen I would say house prices can go to hell or to the moon and I wouldn't give 2 fooks which because it would still be the best feeling in the world, people asking if they should hold off to save a few grand are literally putting a price on their mental health and overall satisfaction with life, its as good a definition of penny wise and pound foolish you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭combat14

looks like there is a lot of stress in areas of the housing market can see why many analysts are indicating oct 2022 was current peak:

First-time buyers pushed to limit as runaway house prices burden them with bigger loans

the median FTB was able to put just €1,000 more of their own cash into a purchase but was borrowing €24,000 more.

This reliance on bigger loans has become especially pertinent in the last year, as the ECB has put up rates seven times to 3.75pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

And imagine if you were 40 years old and just getting older and watching the property prices the last few years hoping they would go down so you could buy. You would be in a right crap situation then. Instead you would have been watching your allowed mortgage term getting less, interest rates getting higher and prices running away from you and your rent was going up. Instead you are in your own house that may go down in value but you are stable. No rent or possibility of being told the landlord is selling, probably fixed mortgage rate, term of your mortgage reducing while being paid off, and so much space.

My Dad used to say the minute you can afford it buy somewhere for yourself to live even if its a one bed apartment or a shed. Get out of the rat race and then you can trade up or build up at your leisure without being stuck at the whims of the rental market.

I took this advice and started with a 1 bed apartment. Now in a house with no mortgage left.

My brother did the opposite. He is 45 now and himself and his wife and child are living in a 2 bed house for over €2000 per month. They have no savings and could not afford to buy at todays prices. He still thinks there will be a crash, so wouldnt buy anyway. They spent the last 10 years waiting for their predicted crash. He wanted to move into my apartment before I sold it and I told him no, that I needed to sell it to pay off the mortgage on our house. HE was disgusted and tried to make me feel guilty that he didnt benefit from my good decisions. tbh if i let him move in he would have expected cheap rent which i would have had to pay tax on and then it would also have effected the value of the place to sell. But he would have never moved out then, so i did the right thing for myself even if he is pissed off at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Villa05

They spent the last 10 years waiting for their predicted crash

Manure, 10 years ago most of the country was still in crash mode

If you say so. But I think I know how long my brother was expecting a crash for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭enricoh

The government is swimming in cash and there's an election next year and housing number 1 issue. I can see another few billion being thrown at housing between now and then by them to inflate prices n get builders ramping up, can't see prices dropping much as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ten years ago prices had just started to rise. Anyone expecting a further crash from the effective bottom was insane.

There were still plenty on here, or course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,564 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Hindsight tells us that was the effective bottom of the market, but few at that moment could have known that the green shuts of recovery would grow so much, so fast. It’s worth bearing in mind that the unemployment rate in 2013 was just under 14%, 90k emigrated that year.

I think I know what conversations I was having with my brother at the time. Or at least I remember them better that people who werent there with us.

I was telling him to buy as we had been at the bottom already. He was saying it was a dead cat bounce and all that sh!te. He couldnt handle the fact that he had mistimed the bottom and so continued, right on until today to say the crash is coming. Its too late for him now though. He has hit and passed the age where things only get harder when buying a place to live.

His rent was much cheaper then too, so it was even easier for him to wait for his expected "crash" even if it didnt come. Nowadays though he has a big problem waiting.

As you say, Boards is full of the same thought process.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Once it became clear that the increases weren't just down to the mini rush that the end of TRS caused, there was nothing to suggest prices were going to go back down. The scale of recovery was an unknown but that it had bottomed out was certain

For the majority of young buyers who had become accustomed to 5 yrs of doom and gloom, the certainty you speak of may have been as obvious as the certainty you have today.

Can you be certain about the property sector?

Nothing can be certain, but it became obvious at that point that mortgage arrears would not lead to a supply surge as I think Morgan Kelly sounded the alarm about in 09 as being the 2nd leg of the doom loop.

LLs were leaving in their droves either voluntarily or banks foreclosing. Rents were only going to go one way. Buying back then was a mechanism to lock in the lowish rents of that time

Ronan lyons sounded the alarm on supply issues in rentals and purchase properties in Dublin circa 2013.

And on my daft watch list of 40 or so properties built up over 4 years, they only started selling in late 2013. Once it started there was no let up. Banks it appeared approached the recovery geographically starting with Dublin and Galway and working there way down to other demand areas. This gave other markets visibility on what was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

The only thing I would like to flag about this approach of buying anything you can is that in the current market it is very difficult to trade up without first selling your own house. Most estate agents won’t even entertain an offer from someone who isn’t at least sale agreed on their own property. I think people need to keep this in mind when purchasing as it’s often glossed over.

At any point in time nobody knows what is ahead for property in Ireland. Read the dates on these. All iot shows it that anyone who thinks they know, actually doesnt know :) All we are all doing is taking wild guesses. We then go off and look for data that supports our guesses. Working in big data I can tell you for sure that there is bias in everyone and in every report.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2056650214/property-in-dublin-rises-for-the-second-month-running-deat-cat-bounce

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2056898823/glut-of-repossessed-houses-could-depress-prices-by-up-to-25/p1

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057748627/property-slowdown-in-dublin/p1

Yes its been like that for a couple of years now. Most people usually are sale agreed or close to it now when they are trading up.

TBF, you’ve been banging on with the same chicken little stuff for years, and you haven’t been right yet, so how would you expect a buyer to have certainty at a point in time 10 years ago? Hindsight is easy, predicting the future less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Yeah no one knows what way property prices are going to go but you can make a very educated guess based on history and on the information at hand.

All markets are cyclical. Property prices have been on the up for the last 10 years with a hiccup of 2 months back in 2019 where they dropped. We have seen Dublin house prices drop month on month for the last 6 months for the first time in over a decade. We are facing into at least another 2 interest rate hikes before July. We can see these interest rate hikes have trumped our acute supply and ravenous demand issues. So educated guess time - if rates are going higher prices are going to drop further while the current paradigm exists.

Having said that there are other factors locally and globally that could impact property prices like world war 3 breaking out, further contagion of the banking mess in the states, another corona virus, a reunification of the country, the Shiners getting power, a ramping up of modular homes being built, further job losses in the IT sector, a huge drop in corpo tax, or mass emigration from our under 30s who have more or less been locked out on getting on that first step of the property ladder, that is just a few areas I can think of off the top of my head that could all have differing effects on property prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Two factors will negate any drop in property prices.

1. Increases in interest rates

2. Any rent you pay while waiting for prices to drop.

A 5% drop in the price of a house currently priced at 400k will be offset by a year's rent (c.20k) that you will pay over the next year while waiting for the market to turn.

That's before you account for the c.20k that you could be paying off your mortgage. And also before any increase in interest rates.

So a potential 40k swing without even taking into account interest rates.

Well Dublin prices over the last 6 months would suggest your theory is wildly off the mark. These rate rises its not just people looking at the market going prices are going down lets wait, in a lot of cases they will be locked out of the market by the banking stress tests and affordability. People on here I think are underestimating the caution that will be the priority of all banks globally when lending after the likes of Credit Suisse and the shed load of US banks that found themselves in the sh1tter. I don't think there will be any appetite either publicly or politically for any Irish bank if they find themselves back in the same situation after the last crash so the banks here really have to step carefully. Even the BPFI mortgage drawdowns are showing mortgage approvals are down.

Plus once you are in your house inflation is working for you instead of against you when you are planning to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭amacca

You were 100% right not to let him move in imo

Literally everything you described would have happened unless he is a Saint....there would probably be even more bad blood now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Few houses in desirable areas have popped back (relisted) at reduced price. Some changed agent of course, when reducing price.

I see two houses near me, both these houses have been previously advertised and now still for sale but weeks later not showing up online. Why is that? Skewing the numbers.

Another one similarly was for sale last year, then went off radar for few months, now back for sale.

Living the life

I've been banging on about the multiple missed opportunities in avoiding the situation we are currently in and more importantly the current path of making it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭suvigirl

They reckon prices are dropping this year....I don't see any evidence of it, not in Dublin anyway.

There must be a lot of cash in the country because the young people I see at viewings,versus the sale agreed prices, just don't seem equal.

Saw a house on Saturday, it's currently 200,000 over asking, and honestly it's far from perfect. Where is the money coming from? Older generations handing out money?

I think that would be everyone in the country bar a few politicians :)

• Advertisement

No one is reckoning the facts are 6 months of price drops in Dublin as per the property price register and 3/4 months of prices drops nation wide. This is an average some properties will be more desirable than others

Advertisement