Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

TK's diving at the end was a smart bit of gamesmanship but it won't help the reputation we've been getting for that in the last few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Yeah we are certainly under that spotlight infairness, I don't like it but I am going to try and pass it off as the same thing as the lad with the contact lenses, or the guy that isn't injured but takes off his helmet to slow down a game

The problem with all three we saw yesterday when Cathal Barrett was injured, some Limerick players and support taught he took a dive , later they taught he was time wasting when all the time he was hurt

I don't blame the Limerick lads but the gaa need to come down harder on lads faking injury

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

He did take a hit though, and indeed he was probably also trying to slow down the game at that stage. Harmless enough. Doubt many players would have hopped up to help the opposition get it forward quickly for an equalizer.

the Rory Hayes one a few weeks ago was worse, not to mention Aaron Fitz last year

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Clare v Tipp should be in Limerick, and Clare v Cork/Limerick should be in Thurles.

Would be hard to see how GAA justify dragging Clare fans all the way to Cork especially during this cost of living crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

they did it for the League final between Limerick and Kilkenny which was probably even worse, we all know the Gaa don't care about spectators and possible extra expenditure, they will do what ever suits them like they've always done

• Advertisement

the fact that cork already got the league final would suggest that the munster final will be on in limerick if its clare v tipperary

Even though its the main hurling venue thurles has only held the two finals on the same year on 10 occasions since 1980

limerick was the last venue outside of thurles back in 2008 to host both finals the same year

apparently the Munster council traditionally are reluctant to award the Munster final to a venue that has hosted a league final

if i were a betting man i would be backing limerick to get the final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

Saw online that there is talk of going to Cork for the final. FFS do the GAA not know the cost that people are carrying at the moment and going to Corks is only adding to costs; have they map of Ireland that might show them the stupidity of even thinking of Cork for Tipp and Clare people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Irish examiner reporting that cork would be the forerunner to host a Clare Tipp final. I travelled to cork the last time we played there( against Wexford). The fans voted that time by staying at home. Iirc it was around 12000 that attended that day. There was literally an echo around the stadium at times. I know this is different because it's a final, but I imagine Brian lohan wouldn't be too happy with the Munster council if they decide to drag fans down to cork for a match which clearly should be on in Limerick.

They are a cork newspaper they reported something similar for the Munster football final and didn't get it , it will be on in Limerick if it's Tipperary we are playing

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Capacity wise, Cork is only slightly bigger (by 797) according to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gaelic_Athletic_Association_stadiums?wprov=sfla1

So doesn't make sense to bring it all the way down to Cork.

I assume when people say Munster council are appointing cork as venue then it must go to a vote, so I would imagine if it's Clare v Tipp then Clare, Limerick and Tipp would surely vote for Limerick with cork voting for cork. Don't know what way Waterford or Kerry would vote.

I still find it hard to believe how Munster council could justify cork for a Munster final involving Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

Cork has been underused so I can see why they want to push games down there. With the cost of living, and the number of games in Munster, sure there is some cop on to know that the costs aren't viable. 5 matches in Munster, 5 in the U20s 5 in the Minor, is 15 games.. even if you attended a fraction of these it's a case of managing cost.

Tipp might vote for Cork as venue.

its not going to happen , the examiner will always front up about hosting the final , but there is too much on in the city that weekend and they wont have the guards to start with , limerick have pull in the gaa at the moment too , oliver mann is highly taught of in croke park and is considered a future candidate for gaa president he will ensure parc na geal is ready if its tipp v clare

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lim4ev

It would be crazy to bring it to cork surely? Must be great to be a clare man today ye can sit back and watch the rest of us sweat

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Anyone know a website or shop that does giant flags or custom made stuff

cork were looking for it i believe , but wont get it limerick rarely get these games anyway

yeah this was the dream scenario when the fixtures came out , however we were only a puck of a ball away from the nightmare scenario where we needed resultes to go our way jus to stay alive

Tough battle for Limerick yesterday, hopefully Clare having an extra week off can make a difference.

In theory at least , motivation should come easier for the Clare lads too.

A huge concern is Cleary’s injury. I know Limerick have injuries too, but Cleary always did very well on Gillane so we don’t have a natural replacement. Maybe the 3 weeks will help them to get the new full back line used to working as a unit. Could they try Hogan at FB ?

I’d be reluctant to change the HB line especially facing Limerick.

Lots of speculation that the venue could be Cork. Doesn’t make much sense to me as Thurles is closer for both counties. Also easier for Clare or Limerick fans based in Dublin.

Post edited by keeponhurling on

Seeing as the Munster final was on in thurles last year, I'd imagine they will award it to cork this year. Paying for the new stadium and all that😡.

Hard to know what Lohan will do to make up for the loss of cleary. One of the few markers out there who seemed to be able to stick with Gillane. Hearing a bit of chatter about moving conlon to full back and Davy Mac to centre back with seadna at wing back. Wouldn't really want to mess around with our half back line but who else can play there? Any takers for Flanagan at full back?

Hogan FB with Flanagan and Rory H in the corners ?

its a tricky one

Davy Mc to FB is an option as he obviously has experience there. Conlon to FB sounds pretty risky. Hogan is also risky given his youth and inexperience.

Flanagan and Gillane are pure class, no point saying otherwise . Anyone marking Flanagan needs serious physicality.

maybe most likely though is Davy Mc at FB with Morey on the wing

why did Cleary have to play every game in the league and nobody else get a chance ? This isn’t hindsight, everybody has been saying this all along

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Two Flanagan's on opposite sides in the same line! Interesting!

It happened before

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

What are ye at lads?

Would ye prefer to play in Limerick as opposed to Cork?

Strange goings on.

Match should be on in thurles. Simples. And not James Owens as ref.

No idea whats going on , I was full sure all day it was going to be on in Cork

From what I am led to believe I think a few safety concerns is going against thurles

I would disagree with one or two Controversial media outlets online as the reason for no vote tonight, I am led to believe that not all the delegates were thare to vote tonight so the Munster council themselves will take a vote tomorrow,

It will still be cork I'd say,

I wouldn't be in favour of giving Limerick home advantage

It happened in the 1950s where Clare were red hot favourites to win and offered Limerick home advantage as it was nearer , we lost by 10 points I think 🙈🙈

What possible safety concerns would there be with thurles? Munster final was there last year with no issues. Cork seemingly have some music festival or concert on the same weekend as the Munster final. And let's be honest here, the traffic jams at buttevant and charleville would make this journey and absolute nightmare for those of us who travel down. To me, this comes across as trying to somehow get cork over the line so the profits can go towards stadium debt. The fans are, as always, way down the list of priorities

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Exactly. Limerick would suit everyone but understand why clare wouldn't want to play there.

Great occasion to look forward to though

Apparently story this morning is that the provincial council were about to go ahead and fix it for cork but Clare officially requested thurles, hence the delay.

I would prefer cork over Limerick, home advantage is huge for both teams in this fixture

• Advertisement

So that means we are due home advantage this time.

Ennis it is then !

Advertisement