Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upfront with Katie Hannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I wasn't making that argument Francie, and I think you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,126 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well sorry, but you did:

The last time Ireland was invaded was in 1798 by the French, but usually, people referred to the Norman invasion of 1169.

Apparently according to you, invasion wears off after time passes, it's a transient thing.

All Daly says is that her timescale is shorter than yours and Ukrainians should stop fighting and broker a deal and lie down.

You make the same argument as Daly about Ireland, it's just the timescales that are different.

Apparently according to you, invasion wears off after time passes, it's a transient thing.

Are you really comparing the invasion of the Normans, that happened in 1169 to the Russian invasion of Ukraine that happened last year?

You are more foolish than I thought Francie.

As to wearing off, no one ever goes on about the Viking invasions of Ireland from about 800 AD up to 1050 AD.

You make the same argument as Daly about Ireland, it's just the timescales that are different.

What now? Where exactly did I say this?

Quote the sentence and post, please. Otherwise stop doing what you always do, lie and lie again.

I'm following the logic of what you said.

You say the invasion of Ireland is not the same as invasion of Ukraine because Ireland hasn't been invaded since year X. Time has passed in Ireland therefore the invasion doesn't matter anymore, nobody has any cause to resist. Because time has passed it is wrong to resist and you should accept it

That ^ is your expressed view on here for years.

What you are implying here is that the Russian invasion won't matter either after time passes and that there should be a timescale to Ukrainian resistance.

Which is more or less what Daly is saying but her timescale is different. Daly wants the Ukrainians to accept the invasion now to avoid further bloodshed.

You are having a pop at RTE for platforming her views when yours are very similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I did laugh at the clip of Claire and Mick in the EU parliament while Claire was giving her usual schtick. They both looked like they'd just rolled out of bed.

Claire seemed to be arguing that Putin is eventually going to win the war. People are dying so let's stop it now and give Putin what he wants. And also if he does lose he'll use nuclear weapons so again let's stop it now and give him what he wants. She seemed to be so convinced of her arguments that she didn't feel the need to justify them. Not surprising I suppose.

Nevertheless the show is still miles better than the abomination that was Claire Byrne Live!

Dancing on a pinhead again and putting words in my mouth. Only you could come up with that logic because that logic is off the wall.

You are trying to say that the 2022 invasion of Ukraine is similar to the Norman of Ireland, which occurred about 700 years ago.

Ill put it back to you, should we still resist that Norman invasion Francie? Do you see any difference? How about the viking invasions? When are we going to ask Norway and Denmark for reparations?

TLDR

They are not the same, only fools would think otherwise.

But then again, you have a long history of boards supporting Russian aggression internationally and Republican violence and murders.

Now you are gonna try and bog down in pedantry. I was following the logic of your posting on 'invasions' and objecting to your pop at RTE for platforming similar views to your own.

I am saying that once you are invaded you stay invaded, exactly as that young Ukrainian was saying

What she said about being invaded and ruled by a foreign power would be echoed by many in this country for decades right up to today, but it's different strokes for different folks in Mark's playbook - there's good oppressed and there's bad oppressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Or the lads up in Ulster, the Dál Riata who controlled a good part of Scotland in the 6th century and which is why Scots Gaelic is closely related to Gaeilge here. Basically invaded western Scotland and brought their own culture & language. The irony of course being that the despised Ulster Plantation was much the same in reverse!! Or the Leinstermen who controlled parts of Wales and had sights on the rest. History is full of glorious anomalies.

Haven’t come across any Dàl Raida checkpoints or observation towers in a while Furze. Poor Scots, god help them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Think about it Francie - much evidence of Gaeilge along the western seaboard of Scotland and well into the highlands. Conquered by the men from Ulster.

They are not still there Furze. No Vikings in Dublin either except in fancy dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The Ukrainian speakers were amazingly eloquent in their second language.

It’s human nature to want to fight to hold onto territory, it’s easier said than done to get national consensus to concede lost territory to a despicable aggressor.

In theory Clare has a point, the Ukrainian people are being killed every day with no progress being made towards an end of the war, and ending the war would save lives, but how do you get people to give up fighting a bitter war when many of them have lost friends and relatives already to this war and the decimated cities could take generations to rebuild?

We know from the war in NI that getting to a point where both sides can agree to put down their weapons is extremely difficult, both sides will have lost loved ones, and it’s very hard to let the emotions go and think logically.

I think the best thing Ireland can do is follow Clare’s advice and advocate for an end to the war first and foremost, and then work on negotiating peace.

In the meantime we should make the Ukrainian refugees as welcome as possible, and even go as far as to plan to fast track that they will become full Irish citizens. The country must start planning higher density housing in urban areas, high rise apartments for families, e.g. three bed, two bathroom, kitchen, dining room, two living rooms, and a storage room. Put four of those apartments per floor, put up 6 floors, and put them around the major cities and urban areas where there are services. We would need to build about a thousand of those around Ireland to accommodate the refugees alone. If we have a few billion spare from tax revenue, we should invest in that programme without delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Didn't watch it, minute I heard Daly was going to be there it was enough for me.

Wonder she didn't bring the man who doesn't like paying off his loans with her.

Ah, so it's different once the people who do the invading are not here?

No Vikings in Ireland you say, even though there are some estimates that up to 20% of us have Viking genes.

@FrancieBrady Should we still resist the British 'invasion'?

After all there are no 'Normans' in Ireland anymore, or are there?

I am saying that once you are invaded you stay invaded, exactly as that young Ukrainian was saying

Like the Vikings? The Normans?

No one pushed them out, but we don't fight either of them today.

What she said about being invaded and ruled by a foreign power would be echoed by many in this country for decades right up to today, but it's different strokes for different folks in Mark's playbook - there's good oppressed and there's bad oppressed

What is this nonsense?

Again, I ask you pertinent questions but you come out with this $hite.

No wonder you are permabanned from loads of forums across this site.

Mark, you had a pop at RTE because somebody expressed a view you don’t like, but which, when you follow the logic of your own arguments about Ireland is similar to your own view.

Nothing to do with Vikings or Normans.

The point is about your silly censorious rant at RTE. It was the real shite.

P.s I am not banned from ‘loads’ of forums.

Mark, you had a pop at RTE because somebody expressed a view you don’t like, but which, when you follow the logic of your own arguments about Ireland is similar to your own view.

I had a pop at RTE because they let someone have a platform whereby they shouted and roared over everyone else including Ukrainians themselves.

Your dancing on a pinhead about 'logic' or whatever doesn't cut the mustard I am afraid because I have no idea what you are on about, but trying this tireless banal way of debating.

You say it's similar to my own view.

What is my view, exactly Francie, because this is the 4th time you are trying to put words in my mouth.

Nothing to do with Vikings or Normans.

Didn't they invade Ireland? Oh, no. That was the Brits. ROFL.

P.s I am not banned from ‘loads’ of forums.

The ones that matter to you anyhow. Wonder why. The current exchange here is a good exhibit as to why. And don't forget those other accounts..

As usual Mark you try to pretend and walk away from what you actually said and then throw a personal dig in there too.

Here it is in all it's 'conspiratorial glory.

Clare Daly an absolute disgrace last night

Even worse was Katie Hannon giving her the leeway to shout and roar at people, especially actual Ukrainian refugees.

Did anyone catch Katie saying 'sorry about that' to Clare at the end of the show? A thundering disgrace of a show, moderated by an incompetent overpaid presenter hosted by a National Broadcaster that has utterly lost its way. It's no wonder people hate RTE so much, it's a crying shame, as we need a strong National Broadcaster.

But the new Elite has taken it over and is using it as a political mouthpiece

Who is this 'new elite' Mark only opinions you don't like aired and try to shut down at any oppurtunity. You don't like different political opinions to your own and you clearly don't like being challenged on those.

You'll find television will have many opinions expressed on it throughout the world and RTE is no different. Conspiracy theory's about 'elites' taking over would be better in the Conspiracy Theory forums maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭SlowChris

What does Ukraine winning the war look like? I think the idea that Ukraine militarily defeat and push Russia out of the country is fantasy.

Russia has the man power and are not going to face defeat like that, they'll use a nuke if they have to.

I think it's more likely that the status remains unchanged, a stalemate like now that continues indefinitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Field east

When the UKr women on the show asked CD how would she feel/ how would she react / what would she do if another country / it’s leader attacked your country - bomb hospitals , level towns , cities and villages, kill children , etc,etc,et, etc, etc, etc.- and in a totally indiscriminate way and by a compulsive liar how break all agreements when it suits him. The question was asked , IMO, in the context of the ‘Here and Now’ and not in the context of our past history

Not sure what your point is here.

Past history or none, some would fight back and never give up, some would flee for various reasons, some would collude with the invader, some would accept their fates and deride anyone who fights back etc etc.

Same the world over throughout history when places were invaded or colonised.

Edit: I would vehemently disagree with some of those positions above but I would defend anyone's right to express and explain their view without the need to go all conspiratorial and talk of 'elite' takeovers

Post edited by FrancieBrady on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

That unfortunately seems to be the case, which is exactly what Clare Daly was trying to point out. It's a huge battle against human nature to "turn the other cheek" so to speak, and accept defeat when in the teeth of a war.

As usual Mark you try to pretend and walk away from what you actually said and then throw a personal dig in there too.

I actually said what I said, not what you think I said.

It's that simple.

Who is this 'new elite' Mark only opinions you don't like aired and try to shut down at any opportunity. 

Any opportunity? Any??

Go on, where else did I have a go at RTE.

Another timesink of a day....

. Conspiracy theory's about 'elites' taking over would be better in the Conspiracy Theory forums maybe?

You have plenty of experience of posting in that forum, don't you?

ROFL

Did anyone else notice that Clare Daly mentioned that if or when the Ukrainians start winning the war and start pushing the Russians out of Ukraine, that the Russians will escalate to using WMD's?

How can one have peace under those terms. Honestly, Clare Daly and her fanboys are utterly deluded.

They wont use a Nuke, they have threatened to already but have stopped that narrative.

They know that if they use a Nuke or a WMD that NATO will immediately respond and attack Russian targets inside Ukraine.

They know that within a 72-hour period after a Nuke their army in Ukraine will be destroyed

Not only would NATO respond, their main ally here, China would be appalled at such escalation, nevermind places like India where they sell their oil to. Those two powers would immediately stop trading with Russia.

Russia using a Nuke would be the end game for Russia as we know it and would probably speed up the breakup of the Russian Federation.

It's not going to happen because Russia as much more to lose than Ukraine.

Now you are out to attack me rather than deal with the topic at hand. Attack the post, not the poster Mark.

Did you or did you not say

But the new Elite has taken it (RTE) over and is using it as a political mouthpiece

and then, when challenged, try to pretend that your comment was just about 'shouting'?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭SlowChris

If NATO are so sure Russia won't use nukes then why haven't the west given Ukraine everything they've asked for?

NATO are giving Ukraine more or less what they are asking for. The only exception are ATACM missiles, but the Storm Shadow missiles that the UK gave them compensate for that.

• Advertisement

You are not debating honestly Francie, as you don't give a **** about the topic at hand. You see this as a way to force me into a corner.

I could go into a great level of detail, much of it would fall over your head but alas, it's wasted on you, as you are not debating honestly here and this isn't the right forum for it.

But ill give you a heads-up.

Advertisement