Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

Its getting a bit pathetic now bud you begging for my attention, again I have 0 interest in your drivel.

I do find it hilarious though that a man that struggles with basic tasks like buying a leather belt and train timetable's tries to mock special needs.

Do us a "FAVOR" and google the word like a good lad you're embarrassing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Favor is the US English spelling of the word Favour, which pretty much every other English speaking country in the world uses. Is that a simple mistake on your part or has your doubling down on this point exposed you?

This document is the final word on the need conversation. Seeing as you don't like larbre I'll post it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭RavenP

@delusiondestroyer

"1) Right ill state it once again... list any questions you want answered in a cohesive manner and ill answer them one condition though you must answer all questions i ask in return. Ill gladly educate you on why 1940's logic is irrelevant to 2023.

2) Ireland is the 3rd safest country in the world, is neutral, has low tax rates, has decade on decades without any major incident.. Your point is moot US business is going no where, also worth noting it would be down to individual companies not the US gov."

Okay, go ahead answer my question. If there is any question of yours I have not addressed, quote it back to me and I shall answer it, because I thought I had answered every question put to me, but if not I will

Ireland 3rd safest country in the world-If you mean WiseVoter Safest Conutries list, it is an irrelevant statistic as it is a multiple indicator based index, taking into account things like crime rate, health care, water supply and many other factors. They in particular note that Ireland has a low murder rate of 0.69 per 100,000 people , a strong rule of law / effective policing and a strong economy / social welfare programse overall peace and safety. By the way, the country in second place, New Zealand, has a defence budget three times the size of Ireland's and the fourth place country, Austria has a defence budget more than 2.5 times the size of Ireland. They

Low tax!!! THat makes us geopolitically safe!!! Decades of no incidents. As I have pointed out that is pretty much true for every western European power, but you seem to think Ireland is "special". My point about US business is moot. But we attracted business to Ireland because we had advantages, low tax, education especially. Back in the 90s and 2000s Ireland's security was not an issue. If Ireland gets a reputation for weak security it simply will make us less attractive as a destination for business. Who knows how many might move, and how many might stay, but it is a risk for our future. And yes individual governments do make the call but they are given advice and leadership by the government.

Not sure what you are struggling with but favor can be used and is correct in both spelling and meaning, that is simply a FACT. The only thing he exposed was his own stupidity to which you decided it would be a good idea to jump on the bandwagon and go down with him lol

I wont be entertaining 2nd hand information or answering his questions thru you and tbh anyone that rubs shoulders with him is in my opinion not a great judge of character, your friend likes to mock special needs... kinda shows the caliber of person you are really.

What's that saying... show me your friends and ill tell you who you are!

That DEFENSE document is irrelevant.

Also, what is this "FAVOR" nonsense. It is "favour" unless you are an American with a sticky caps key! Interesting....

• Advertisement

Do me a FAVOR and stick to discussing the DEFENSE capabilities of Ireland rather than joining the other two and showing your true COLORs.

One can only laugh at the nonsense these lot get bogged down on I would explain it but I get too much of a laugh out of there smugness over a word lol

As far as i was aware i answered everything also. Feel free to ask the exact question you would like the answer to.

We have 7310 poorly equipped troops and no airforce and a tiny navy, doesn't get much weaker than that its been like that for years, and yet we are awash with foreign investment. Apple, Google and Facebook all disagree with your assessment of our security.

Just shows no one is relying on the Irish DefenSe forces, and no one is concerned about Ireland being randomly attacked anytime soon because if they were big multinationals like that would be pushing for increased security but they arent.

The only ones concerned about these "major" defense issues are on this thread, the threat doesn't exist in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,106 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lol, he's been scrambling through my 14+ years of threads and posts lads, rummaging around for an insult, have you ever heard anything more pathetic in your entire life?

A pathetic trolling fool who is happy now to be vomiting on about anything but the topic, for obvious reasons.

He may well have a sticky caps key, but that comes with the territory of being a paid up Russian social media troll who dwells in Mother's basement with a Kleenex Platinum Customer card always to hand.

But seriously, I do think its time this hijacking of the thread ended, it's boring and tiresome in what is a mostly a constructive and participative forum. Manic, over to you.

You are the only one derailing this thread with your poisonous and disgusting insults, I'm glad my exposing of the hypocrisy of your insults has severely triggered you let it be a lesson. Carry yourself with a bit more class and try not to mock special needs because there's always gonna be someone like me to deal with you.

I do find it odd that you're allowed to even post on this site after reading some of the other posts you have on this thread alone... you have a disgusting attitude of insulting anyone that disagrees with you... it truly is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Sinn Féin ... Defence spokesman Matt Carthy has said the party would boost military spending in Government but not to the 2% of GDP NATO members are supposed to spend. 

“We need to actually invest in our Defence Forces,” ...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭sparky42

Usual from SF, and in fairness any opposition party in not putting a figure on it… But sure let’s go for 1%, we spent that before on defence without anything like the economy we have now, and I’m fairly sure 3+ billion Euros would fill a lot of gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

🤣🤣🤣 You've confirmed it for me anyway.

You're disregarding as "second hand information" a document on the Irish Department of Defence website. You obviously don't care about actual facts, only your faulty opinion. And take your own advice and Google favor if you want.

In fact I'll save you the time:

The spelling varies depending on whether you're using UK or US English: In UK English, “favour” (with a “u”) is the correct spelling. In US English, “favor” (with no “u”) is standard

I'm done, you're blocked 😂😂😂😂

I actually genuinely feel bad for you, the quote you posted yourself proves what your saying wrong LMFAO

The spelling varies depending on whether you're using UK or US English: In UK English, “favour” (with a “u”) is the correct spelling. In US English, “favor” (with no “u”) is standard.

You got the 2nd hand information wrong as well, I was clearly referencing you passing on Larbre's messages... You really went all in with this and failed in epic fashion. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The comment you quoted was in relation to the troll spam.

As for SF, I don't have much faith in "promises"

" Feel free to ask the exact question you would like the answer to.

"We have 7310 poorly equipped troops and no airforce and a tiny navy, doesn't get much weaker than that its been like that for years, and yet we are awash with foreign investment. Apple, Google and Facebook all disagree with your assessment of our security.

Just shows no one is relying on the Irish Defense forces, and no one is concerned about Ireland being randomly attacked anytime soon because if they were big multinationals like that would be pushing for increased security but they aren't.

The only ones concerned about these "major" defense issues are on this thread, the threat doesn't exist in reality."

Point 1. I asked yo a direct question, three times now, about why Ireland's security situation now is "entirely different" than in the 1940s. You have evaded this question, on one occasion suggesting the answer was so obvious that it was beneath you to address it. I suspect that is because there are some parallels between the situations which your anwser would actually draw attention to. Please make your argument that the situations are "entirely different" so we can evaluate it.

The army is NOT poorly equipped, actually! Small yes, but pro rata have actually quite a lot of heavy and sophisticated weaponry, in some areas exceeding many NATO forces, and if you actually read the CoDF you would be aware that most of the changes they are suggesting are to the size of the army not pro-rata its equipment levels. Your comments about the size and power of the Navy and air corps are broadly correct.

As I said in my last post the 90s and early 2000s, when the bulk of these firms arrived, was a uniquely stable time in European affairs. Whatever way you slice it and dice it the security situation in Europe has significantly deteriorated. We may differ on our assessment of how far that may go and where it may affect, but it is a fact to say we are not living in such stable geopolitical times as when most of these companies established in Ireland.The fact that there is concern at governmental level about Ireland's security situation and its vulnerability is shown by the fact that they a. commissioned the CODF and b. in the main accepted its conclusions, with some areas like jets for instance, no active decision made, in large part because the jet decision does not need to be made until other things are in place, like long range primary radar.

If you read the Irish papers you would be aware that this is now a significant talking point in Ireland. There have been nine articles in the Irish national newspapers this week on neutrality alone. Are you actually Irish, or have you only lives in Ireland for some of your life? Are you aware that this is a significant debate in Ireland at this time? You used a spelling (Favor) that is never used in Ireland and I noticed some other word forms, poor punctuation, etc which are not typical of Irish people. If you are not Irish you are probably not aware that the tanaiste (tthat is he deputy PM) has just announced a National Forum to sit in June to discuss Irish defence posture and neutrality. Hint, the government are doing this because they want to have a kind of democratic rubber stamp to significantly up defence spending and modify Ireland's definition of neutrality.

Tell you what. You claimed earlier that the "fact" that Ireland would not increase defence spending (your prediction), is proof you are right that Ireland has no threat level. Now leaving aside the really dodgy bit that something that hasnt' happened yet (namely Ireland decision on future defence spending) cannot be used to prove a point in the present (pretty typical of your approach to proof really), lets decide to meet here in, say six months. If Ireland has not made modifications to neutrality and there has been no increase in defence spending I will concede, if the opposite happens you will concede. Are you man enough to put your money (metaphorically) where your mouth is?

Genuine question. Are you part of the Irish Anti-War movement? IN all honestly when the IAWM and PANA were genuine neutralists and leftists I had more than a little sympathy with their views (although my own experience had taught me they were, in some ways a bit naive), but the suggestion from that idiot Mark Price that we should give over our defence to an aggressive imperialist power like the UK suggests to me that agent provocateurs are now influential in that movement (not directly accusing Price himself, reckon he is the old useful fool). I reckon the IAWM are being used to weaken Irish neutrality and independence, not strengthen it.

Sorry on my phone with shite service. But you aren’t wrong, I mean SFs whole platform is full of empty promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Thats very bad news as it means they are trying to be a normal political party

Nah, the bad news is that people actually believe them and think some how anything will massively change when they are in power.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[MOD]OK, when we start trading barbs over American vs British spellings of words, we've gone a bit too far. I'm locking the thread for 24 hours so that folks can cool down, read this, and have a bit of a think.

Observations:

1) Nobody is obliged to respond to posts they disagree with. As long as Delusiondestroyer is being relatively civil, having a minority viewpoint is not an actionable offense. It seems to me that he is not about to change any honestly-held beliefs, no matter what form of logic we try, so we may as well stop. We can draw our own conclusions on his stated position.

2) This is a military subforum, not a politics one. The political question on the need for an Irish defense capability as a concept has already been made by Ireland's political leadership over the years (even if the execution has not met the policy), debate on that is best held over on Politics or Current Affairs (I believe there are already related threads). Old saws about warfare being a continuation of politics by other means indicate that yes, we do discuss political matters here insofar as they may impinge on defense matters, but they are not to become the dominant topic of discussion. It's time for this thread to take a course correction and return to the concepts of military execution of political policy, as opposed to the determination of that policy.

3) Violation of '2' is going to be an actionable offense.

[/MOD]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

LOA3 didn't bring us to 2% either, but it was still considered too high at this stage.

You never know, maybe its finally sunk into the heads of some of the TD's that the world just might be getting a bit more unstable? I mean its a low probability event but maybe?

2% of Forecast GDP for 2023 would equate to €10.5 Billion.

Of course Ireland's GDP is skewed so GNI* is used and even 2% of that would be >€5 Billion per annum.

And of course our structure has nowhere near the capacity to make use of such a budget and so it's very easy for spoofers like Sinn Féin to deny something that absolutely nobody is suggesting be done.

True enough, though I don't think anyone would complain if they played the card of refusing 2% but accepting 1% (for example), that's would still be a huge boost. And in relation to SF, wonder what Matt and the Ambassador might have discussed?

https://twitter.com/vincentguerend/status/1661463104872493057

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Vincent has been very active in raising awareness among Irish Political circles about our obligations when it comes to european security. We may have opted out of mutual defence, but we should at least consider defending our own territory properly?

In other words, no more scutting off the back of the milk float.

We are well able to fufil our obligations to the EU, you are just over exaggerating our "Obligations" in the first place and the expectations other nations have of Ireland.

It would have been too much too ask for you to slink off after the lock, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

1% would be a serious amount for a country like Ireland. I can’t ever see it happening though.

• Advertisement

We have done it before with a hell of a lot smaller economy and population, all thats lacking is will and grown up thinking about the growing instability in the World.

Advertisement