Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rule 5.2 query

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

This came up recently at home, it was a chat between lads on Day 1 in a group I played in. They said two other members played casual on Day 1 AM with the course set up in place. They would then compete on Day 2.

The lads in my group concluded that they did nothing wrong. Only if someone played the course casually and in competition on the same day would you break any rules. 5.2b/3 covers that scenario.

They also said something about tee markers that could have been moved a few yards on the relevant tee box just before the comp started. This could also possibly be interpreted as a "new" course layout anyway.

If you were in doubt here drop the comps secretary a text/email. They'll have this covered before I'm sure. Someone always queries it before the Captains's Prize. Perhaps a club could impose a local rule to outlaw the "practice" round if they saw fit. I'd imagine it's a lot of hassle and emails responding to every Tom, Dick and Harry's grumble to check BRS, cctv etc for proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

As far as I remember it needs to be laid out in the local rules

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Break80

We have a strange one in our course.

Never came across it before.

Monthly medal is Fri/Sat/Sun but the pins are moved on all 3 days.

Surely not the same competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭token56

That's not right in my opinion if they try to have it as the same competition. Surely different levels of difficulties depending on the pin locations. I'm not a fan of having competitions like Medals over multiple days myself. They did it in my club for the first time this month but the course was setup the same both days and thankfully no big differences in weather. But to me that can be the biggest variability, although you could have big changes in weather on throughout the same day I suppose so there is always a bit of luck involved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

2 day weekend competitions are common in my club. Some lads play both days, play off whites in competition and greens for casual rounds. Normally does'nt create any issues. Weather is the only potential variable over the two days for the competition but this is Ireland, can be variable every hour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

I'd agree on the pin positions. Whatever about tee boxes, moving pins drastically changes things. Completely flips strategy and shot selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I would’ve said that if you’re playing the comp the Sunday off a certain tee marker (ie white), you’d have to play the greens if playing a casual game the Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

Depend on the club's competition rules.

There is a difference between a regular weekend (Sunday) competition that has alternate days (Friday & Saturday) & a 2-day competition such as Captain's or President's prize.

We can't play or practice on any part of the course for a 2-day competition once the competition has started. We don't have that rule for the regular "Sunday" competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭swededmonkey

We have 2 day comps, but you must compete on the first day. There is a side competition on the Sunday for anyone that plays both days and usually off different tees

Advertisement