Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Marathon 6 November 2022

Options
2»

Comments

Ah, didn't know that.

Got my pfo email anyway.

Oh well, focus on Manchester, and I'll keep applying for the lottery for the big 6

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Bumping this as i really need to start getting organised for 2023!

Is getting the bus to the start seen as the most efficient way? And if so, whereabouts would be the best part of the city to stay for accessing the bus pick points on the morning? I've only been to NYC once before so dont know it logistically at all really

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Toffeeboy

it goes from the Library, so midtown/times square area. I find the bus handy. Never took the boat (which you still have to get a bus afterwards)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

heading over myself for the first time .

heard the route is tough going. got a package deal with sports tours ($$) so i think there is a bus included from mid town which is grand

looking forward to it but will need to figure out about deferring dublin if possible, dont want to lose my spot for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I suppose whether you take bus or ferry depends on where you are staying. I took the bus from midtown when I did it a few years ago. A smooth enough operation.

Good luck everyone. It's a tough course alright - flat enough on the road but the bridges are long drags, especially the Queensboro. Brilliant atmosphere though.

• Advertisement

thanks for this, i've booked into a hotel 20 mins walk from times square so seems handy for the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Just secured guaranteed entry for 2024, through signing up for the virtual this year.

Can't wait! Hopefully this is the thing that gets my mojo back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That probably should not be allowed but congrats nevertheless. 👍

Why should it not be allowed?

It's a legacy hangover from covid, they allocate a small number of places to people who do the virtual.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Good stuff. I missed out on that. Was online, but the virtual spots seemed to be gone immediately

• Advertisement

Hard luck, I was very lucky.

I spent the afternoon having everything prepared so gave myself the best chance.

Else where online people mentioned that there was only 1,000 places.

anyone register for expo and transport today?

picking up bib on sat afternoon myself and then getting 5.30am bus from midtown

seems very early but the only other option was 5am!

anyone who has done it before have experience with getting there etc? i did not select a bag option , will bring a hoodie and dump it at the start. sounds like its gonna be a lot of standing around waiting to start

Yep registered also - picking up bib on friday evening so will head straight to expo from JFK, flying from Dublin on Friday morning so hopefully no delays.

On the same bus then, 5.30 from midtown

Likewise i havent selected a bag drop off although i may change that, im staying not too far from the finish but if its cold or wet day it might be good to have something to throw on

On the 11:10am Friday flight to jfk worh aer lingus myself but not gonna bother with expo until satursay

if you use the bag drop it will take around 2 hours to get out of the park after crossing finish line, check this out https://scblob.nyrr.org/nyrrsitecoreblob/nyrr/pdf/race-course-maps/tcsnycm19_map_finish_091819b.pdf

I’m not bothering with bag. Will dispose of clothes at start line and we get poncho at finish. I’m fortunate enough to be meeting someone there who will bring a hoodie etc for me. That might be a bit more awkward if travelling solo

Really looking fwd to it now. A lot of training yet to do and not sure what time to aim for with the amount of unknown variables , will just keep on truckin for now

I'm in a similar boat with training and goal times, the first half of this year has been quieter than i'd like running wise so really depends on how the next few months go. I have an entry for Tullamore half next week - not sure if i'll actually be able to do it (in the middle of moving house at the moment) but if i do it should give me some sort of idea where i am.

TBH i'm viewing this as a once in a lifetime type event so time is very much secondary to enjoying the experience. I definitely want to avoid being over optimistic on the day and then hitting the wall with 10k or whatever to go.

Good luck with your training and here's to an injury free build up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Do NOT underestimate the bridges !!!!!!!!!!!!!!, they are tough bas*ards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

And don't forget that nasty climb before you head into the park at about km 37. That hurt me almost more than the bridges. Talking of which, be prepared for the bridge at halfway which I hadn't seen any mention of. Well tough. Enjoy.

Just over a week to go - took my first look at the forecast for November 5 today, currently showing temperatures of around 12 degrees with no rain and minor breeze, would deffo take that

Training has gone ok and most importantly no injuries, although have a stubborn cough and cold i can't shake. Hopefully tapering off might help sort that

Looking forward to this now 😊

Advertisement