Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

The nodding head on Milan in the sprint 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

So how many of these sprinters are going to stick around for the next 3 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Cavendish classy as ever. Giving out to a Green lad because he was completely out of position and never got near the sprint.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think barring something miraculous yes so he has an incentive to get over to the finish line.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dan Lloyd spouting if Cav was in a good position he was guaranteed the win, way to disrespect the guys beating him all through this Giro.

Honestly that commentary team on GCN/Eurosport are getting worse, Blyth with his juvenile attempts at being a comedian, Hatch and his usual British bias.

I normally quite like Dan Lloyd but even he cant hide his bias.

Cavendish has been muck this Giro, yet they spend so much time talking about him. I turned it off, to be honest.

I got in trouble for insulting Cav earlier, so I’ll say politely: I don’t care for him

Johnathan Milan has been a revelation this Giro. Someone needs to teach him where to position himself though.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

It always amazes me that riders just stay put and listen to that nonsense. I do realise that they are all under the glare of the social media spotlight and the "easy-settlement" options previously available, such as inviting the whinger to "f&*k off!" or twatting them with a bike wheel, are no longer acceptable but they could just ride off and leave the old man to shout at clouds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I dont know why there are comments on here that there is a definitive hierarchy and Eddie is low down on this list

The truth is no one is set in place ...so many variables and uncertainty

Many riders matures later and some lose their form and never get it back and then there are crashes, injuries , illnesses that take away careers

There are some great riders now including Vinge, Pog, Remco and Rog but who is to say Eddie doesnt get better and they get worse. He is only starting out on his GC career

Also the idea that G Thomas is a second rate rider is ridiculous . he won the Tour and was on his way to wining another but for a land slide

When has Rog or Remco won the Tour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If Eddie gets a GC top 5 in this giro, that is a monumental achievement. Who's the last person that did that with their first crack at it? Only one i can think of is wonderkid Ayuso last year. Not only am I impressed with how he's performing, Jayco have supported him brilliantly as well, they seem to be all-in o him and matthews for GC/stages, no egos or messing about, even with the Italian NC rising for them as well. They must have seen his numbers over the last few months and thought 'yeah - we can run with this'.

The LRCP guys mentioned as well that Dunbar would be a ark horse for the last TT. No-one has a clue how it will end up, and the smaller guys like Eddie could benefit. He has already returned better than expected results in the TTs so far, so here's hoping he can cement the top 5 place, at worst!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

His sprint is great craic. Something kinda old school about it.

Thomas won the Tour at a time when whoever was the anointed 1st class car on the Sky train won and also he is now 36. Lots of guys who never won a Tour were better GC riders than Thomas.

Eddie is also 26 so not exactly some kid with unknown potential. I do think this is the start of something big for him but he ain't a top GT guy. He does have an 8th in l'Avenir but also a win in the junior Ronde which I think is better suited.

He has never lost a race where it was his own fault.

From what I saw the Green lad was giving as good as he got. But in general I agree.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No fan of him myself, ego is higher than Sagan’s these days. He won’t be missed for me.

To be fair, that behaviour isn't unique to Cav. Fignon was a hoor for it.

Depends on what you mean by " first crack at it"? It's his second Giro - he was 22nd in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A cat 1 to start with and the break will go here. It all depends on who is in it as to whether it stays away or not.

Pinot really wants a stage win but he's still too close on GC.

Ben will be in it for sure, he'll be trying to wrap up the blue jersey. Obviously Bais and Rubio will be in it for different reasons, Bais to try and beat Ben for the KOM and Rubio looking for a stage win. Thing is Rubio might be considered too close on GC to be let stay away. There'll be others looking for the stage win and I've fancied him a few times but Van Wilder has ridden very well since Evenepoel went down and I think he might be the one tomorrow.

There's a cat 1 which crests around 30km from the finish. I think it's too early for a GC battle given what follows.

So the break has a good chance to stay away tomorrow I think because Ineos don't have enough riders left to control the GC group. They'll be depending on UAE and Jumbo to do that for them and I don't think they will.

The second last climb is brutal, it averages 10% but there's a section in it that's 20%. It's 5km in length and it's only a cat 2. This is where any moves from the GC group will happen because the last climb isn't that difficult, it's short and averages just over 6%. It's just under 3km.

If Primoz is healthy he'll destroy them on this climb. Only thing is you'll see Almeida get dropped but he has this thing in him where he gets back after the difficult section is over. Thing is that if Roglic is healthy then Kuss will burn everybody off.

There's a possibility the break gets caught but I don't think it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I don't know which is worse, the inevitable obsession over Cav by his fanboys in the British media... or the inevitable obsession over Cav by Boardsies who can't stand him. Personally I like him.

Will be interesting to see how Dunbar races from this position. His natural instinct always struck me as being one of having a go and looking to animate... but he did spend a long time at Sky whose ethos was the complete opposite. Maybe he's now a much more rounded rider with a bit more tactical nous. Either way, it's great to have an Irish interest in the GC again.

I think your faith in Primoz is misplaced, but you could be right. Looks made for a fit and healthy Roglic to win.

I don’t think it’s hard enough to shell everyone out, so the break probably takes it with a GC stalemate. Hope I’m wrong and Joao takes the pink

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

While he's on the way down, Thomas beat peak Froome and Dumoulin (albeit post Giro), and Rog. Froome wasn't exactly riding as domestique either. I wouldn't say the Skineos train has really weakened in the years since, but ultimately you still need the legs to finish it off.

Who know with Eddie, but he's still relatively young in WT race days. I'd be slightly concerned about his consistency over 3 weeks, as hard to think there wasn't a reason he didn't get to go with skineos.

I think Jayco need to put Zana on a shorter leash today - if they want to send a rider up the road, make it De Marchi. Eddie needs his own "Kuss" for the next few days and letting Zana flah himself senseless in a break so he can work for 5 minutes when caught doesn't look like a great use of resources.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Based on what we've seen up to now hard to go against Almeida here but blind favouritism for the win. Dunbar to leave them all for dead and take the pink :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

KOM points for today. I'd say the main target for Ben Healy is to be the first rider over the first climb to get those 40 points.

Has Healy had a haircut? (Asking the important questions!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Unsurprisingly the battle for the break is ferocious, Ben Healy has had so many digs trying to get away already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭happytramp

Yeah, hasn't worked out for him. Busted his ass for 30k only to find himself back in the group at the foot of the climb..

Advertisement