Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus mobile app being retired

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭smackyB

Hey folks, Next Bus Dublin developer here. Had some downtime today due to issues with my server and the TFI real-time feed going down too. Not ideal, I’m looking at solutions for making my server more robust in future. There will also be enhancements to the client apps over the coming months.

Thanks for the support of the app, it’s going over ten years now with over 100k downloads which is a success I had never expected when I posted a very rough first build on these forums all those years ago. Here’s hoping it survives for another decade!

Cheers, Stephen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You can't even be remotely serious when you suggest that the TFI site has a proper timetable page?

A timetable should be a clear and easy to read representation of the entire service available on a bus route across the full week. It should give you an overview. It should definitely be available as a pdf file.

Now on the TFI site you have to select a date and a time, and what do you get? A view of one single departure at a time (if you are on your mobile), and up to eight departures on a desktop.

There are no pdf files available any more on the TFI site, meaning you have to wade your way through mountains of data to just get a view of what service levels are like.

They really haven't got a clue (as is evidenced by the completely out of date timetables on display on stops all over Dublin, and indeed across the country).

It's pathetic.

So yes, I am glad that the operators are still providing that information, because it's quite clear that the NTA have no idea of how to provide simple information in a clear format, and more importantly, they cannot be bothered to maintain it.

Like I have said before, they've clearly bitten off more than they can chew, and don't care when people point it out to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I agree with with everything what you have just said, except the need of pdf timetables? I preferred the timetables within the website interface as it was in the previous DB website. I don't mind them to be also available in pdf if anyone wants to download them, but not having within the website, simply on screen doesn't seem good to me. It was so much easier to look up the timetable, especially for those who lives close to the end of the route or are served by only one route. Pdfs are clunky. They may open within the browser as a plugin, but they get downloaded to the phone which is annoying because I then need to go to me downloads folder and if I ever download any other files in future, these timetable pdfs get lost in the list of my downloaded files. I go to check if I can get pdfs opened in Edge on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Sorry should have phrased that better. The TFI timetables page is by no means a great feature. What I meant was that I'm suprised they didnt just link to that rather than making their own version. I'm glad they did make their own, however.

Just wanted to add that I wasn’t annoyed at you just be clear, but rather the NTA.

As you can tell this lack of attention to detail is really beginning to annoy me, and my anger is firmly aimed at the incompetence that is being displayed, quite literally, by the NTA.

It is the small simple things that they keep getting wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I have been using next bus for years but it wasnt working yesterday or today. Tried the TFI Live app since yesterday and its horrible. Any alternatives to these two with real time info. Next bus was a really great app.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So I stood near a bus stop for about 10 minutes today to see how the TFI Live and other apps do versus reality. Now this is a busy bus stop with about half a dozen core routes stop at it and a TFI realtime screen.

First of all it seems the TFI app almost perfectly matches the TFI realtime screen. It looks like both are now using the same API, which is great for consistency.

The TFI Live app and realtime screen were pretty much spot on with the buses that were scheduled to arrive and when they arrived. Two buses came back to back which were in the reverse order, but definitely not a big deal.

Unfortunately it looks like Google Maps, Citymapper and the bustimes.org stop info seem to be using completely different data (probably schedule) and were completely off with reality. For instance they were all saying a bus for a particular route would come in 10 minutes, when the TFI app/screen were saying it is coming now and it did in reality (though don't know if early or late per schedule).

As an aside, for Google Maps, I wonder if the journey planner might be using the realtime data, just the bus stop data is wrong, like Bustimes.org whose bus data is wrong, but the buses on the map are correct. Must try this out.

So fair play, in my little experiment, the realtime data and app seem to work well and are reflected in the new TFI app. A pity that Citmapper and other apps are using different data, hopefully they get updated to the same soon.

As an aside, I didn't use the Next Bus Dublin app at the stop, but trying it now, it looks like it is as it matches the TFI Live app.

The best way to use the bustimes.org site is to use the maps, and look at where the live positions of buses are, though surely?

That is accurate in my experience.

Seeing where a bus actually is, is to my mind, far more useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It tis.

I use them regularly to check the scheduled bus is actually running (remember that period in which buses regularly didn't turn up when DB initially claimed unforeseen circumstances before admitting it was illness) and that the Luas hasn't been delayed.

And because I know the timetable of the buses I connect to I regularly spot the app just not providing them as connections in my planned journey.

The older Journey Planner didn't have the same problem and during the period when both were active you could compare their results for the same journey and see the missed journeys the new app wouldn't suggest.

Yes, it can be argued that it's an issue with the API and the data it returns, but it shows how poor the testing it went through was and obviously didn't use the returned data from the previous iteration for regression purposes.

Re. the new Dublin Bus website, I don't want to be downloading and storing PDFs of timetables for routes, I much preferred the old timetable pages particularly if it's for a route you might only get once or twice plus it means you're always looking at the most up to date schedule.

• Advertisement

The Dublin Bus pdf timetable files just open on both my phone and laptop, and certainly aren’t downloaded or stored.

I am not sure why people are finding that they do?

I never knew that site existed. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Android tends to download by default, can be browser or OS dependent.

You can select live maps by operator and then sub-select by individual route if you wish.

It is pretty accurate, but like RTPI, there can be glitches where a bus may vanish temporarily where there has just been a driver change or immediately after a driver signing in at the start of their duty.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"The best way to use the bustimes.org site is to use the maps, and look at where the live positions of buses are, though surely?"

Yep, just pointing out that the bus stop data is the schedule rather then live data. And BTW looking at it since, it looks like the Google Maps journey planner is the same.

"Seeing where a bus actually is, is to my mind, far more useful."

I think that depends, if you are at a stop where only one bus will do, then sure. But if you are at a stop like I was at earlier today, where almost any bus route stopping there will get you into town, then the stop display can be more useful. Basically best to have both.

Why would you not just select the operator (Dublin Bus in that case) and then “map”, and you’ll see every bus they have out on the road on the map, regardless of what route it is on.

You can then zoom in the area around the stop.

• Advertisement

Because most Android browsers don't support pdf review. Older Chrome browser supported a few years back with certain tweaks. I tried to find a solution to this, but couldn't. A lot of people on the www are complaining that Android phone hasn't got this feature. It could also be related to the Android version. It looks that older was ok.

The view can get far too crowded in some locations, in particular in the city center. Don't get me wrong, it is a brilliant website and I use it a lot, but per stop realtime views are extremely useful too and it is more just a warning to folks to not rely on the stop view on bustimes.org

I'm also trying to figure out which app is best for journey planning. From a UI persepctive Google Maps and Citymapper are by far the best, however if they are using statis timetables rather then realtime data, then the results are questionable. Maybe the TFI app, but at the moment it gives me bad suggestions.

• So TFI App (or Next Bus Dublin) app for realtime info at a particular stop.
    • bustimes.org to see where a specific bus is coming
    • Journey Planning ??

Journey planning (if I don’t know the routes myself!), I’d use google maps - assuming I am not doing it immediately.

But they can all throw out strange results, and often I find that local knowledge can trump a computer algorithm.

I do wish that the journey planners could restrict the results to PSO routes and not include commercial services that don’t accept LEAP cards.

But one of my bugbears is the lack of a proper network map for the buses in Dublin.

They allow someone to look at the network from above and see what options exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I downloaded the Dublin Bus app today, seeing as the web browser option doesn't work anymore. The app loads up but there's no information on anything I click. Does anyone know what the issue is?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The app has been decommissioned.

• Advertisement

Next bus doesnt work for me anymore.

When i tap on a stop it just gives me a message saying "Oh dear! The realtime service in currently unavailable! That why i cam in here, to look for a replacement for that once fine app.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭smackyB

Sounds you’ve got a bad configuration cached. Try force-closing and restarting the app and see if that fixes it. Failing that an app re-install should definitely work. Apologies for the inconvenience!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I have no real issues with the TFI Live app either. I have my favourite stops saved, the are the first thing that is presented to me when I open the app and from what I can see it's reasonably accurate regarding arrival times. On that timetables tab if I type in 27 in the search tab (as that's my preferred bus route) the 27 bus route both way show up as the first option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Considering how quickly the new website (and its structure) was brought up live, it's rather obvious that DB were eager to get rid of their app, which relied heavily on the old website structures for a lot of its static information.

"I have no real issues with the TFI Live app either. I have my favourite stops saved, the are the first thing that is presented to me when I open the app and from what I can see it's reasonably accurate regarding arrival times"

Yes, it works relatively ok if you have normal needs, if you are using the same two bus stops every day to get too/from work/school.

I find where it struggles in particular is the Journey planner and map, that seems slow and buggy. I had it crash on me yesterday using the map again.

I picked Adamstown in Dublin West to the Dublin Airport and it gives me a train to Park West and G1 to Red Cow and then Luas to town and either 16/41 bus or a private bus via M50. Absolutely ridiculous.

Another option to Heuston and then Dublin Express.

I want cheaper, but longer. App does say that I can choose operators via the settings, however, it only allow to choose one. So why do they use the word operators in plural?! I thought I could exclude Dublin Express by choosing DB and GAI only. I pretend I don't know that I won't need GAI.

I know exactly that the cheapest best option for me is train to Drumcondra and then a bus 16/41. But the app doesn’t give it to me and suggests to change in the city centre which I don't want.

I could add Drumcondra in the Via field and narrow the options to DB operator, but then I won't get trains!

This app is useless to me as I know Dublin network better than the whole database which is not very normal.

FYI, I'm not a regular PT user. I drive every day to work sitting alone in my 5 seats car. Because it takes 15-20 min for me to get to work while PT would be 45 min with 2 buses. That's the BC missed opportunity of having better connections with industrial estates and business parks.

This app is no good to me. I can plant my journey by just looking to the map and giving myself 2-3 min to think and 5 min to plan. I use PT twice a month only. I would happily use daily if it'd be designed by those who actually use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

When I tried your route, I get an option for rail to Drumcondra then take the 700 Aircoach! But it doesn't suggest 16 or 41. It's much much quicker in fairness but isn't covered on the 2eur fair.

Specific app question:

Why does 41 say scheduled but the rest don't? When I click into the other options (1,16, 13), it seems to be on time as scheduled.

"Why does 41 say scheduled but the rest don't? When I click into the other options (1,16, 13), it seems to be on time as scheduled."

I believe it says "secheduled" when it is running off the schedule and the bus isn't been tracked in realtime (and in fact might not turn up at all). The rest are being tracked by realtime.

• Advertisement

I know, and I mentioned private buses. This is what I meant. I don't want the app to give me suggestions I'm not looking for. I want the cheapest best option. I don't want 700. I want a train and DB or just DB so that I pay 2 Euro only. I rarely use PT, but going forward I can pop some more examples showing that I have better options than this not smart app.

Yeah I realised on the way into town that the schedule updates as it goes rather than saying it's early or late.

Seems a bit flawed?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Any way to increase the font size, just on this app? Don't particularly want to increase the font size on the entire phone as this is the only app I seem to have a problem with.

I was going to attempt to put up a screen shot but Brian's pic above is a perfect example.

There's a hell of a lot of needless white space. The route column is sized for the word 'route' and the filter beside it. But the actual route number value is going to be a 2/3/4 digit code so increase the bloody fontsize of it please. At a stop on the N3 I found it quite difficult to see whether the next bus was a 37, 38 or 39. And why the hell does the first bus have grey shading on it on the display, that makes it even more difficult. Maybe it's a 'you need glasses' situation, but never found myself having to peer forlornly at the Dublin Bus app when on the street, and have no problem with Luas app either.

'Departs' column takes up a lot of space as well. Could be reduced and/or the font size of the value row increased.

(Minor point from above screenshot. 'Abbey St' and 'Shaw street' is shoddy inconsistency)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

Use the TFI app from time to time here myself and i find it perfectly fine. Does what it says on the tin without much singing and dancing which is all i want.

Welcome to the club of clueless users who doesn't know what this app should and could look comparing to the other similar apps around the world. You shouldn't be proud of yourself saying this. I suggest you to up your requirements as people like you doesn't promote progress and improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I would like to see an option where the TFI app displays a clockface time of arrival rather than an amount of minutes.

Don't worry, I also think the text is a little bit too small and could be increased in size by very tiny bit. Lots of white space is just a bad design overall. Some options aren't intuitive either and requires to either look through, or sit and think. App users shouldn't think. That's the whole point of the app. They are compact and quick to use versions of the website. I saw someone a while ago suggested a user guide to be published. That's an absolutely ridiculous suggestion as that would prove how bad the app is. It has to be designed in the way that it wouldn't need to stare at screen trying to clearly see something what we need to see and it must be design in an easy to use manner so that all options and functions to be intuitively found and be clear to see and understand.

Post edited by Citrus_8 on

I can't believe it's not already an option.

I'd like if they could add specific details of each bus or train, like year or build, serial numbers, previous journeys, pictures. Like on PlaneSpotters or FlightRadar. Is it too much to ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

The unique vehicle ID is there in the API, and as seen with bustimes, that functionality is possible (albeit unofficial community entries). It would be great if there was a official version of this data.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Used the app to time a bus home for the first time tonight. Didn't show up. So I guess it works as well as the old app.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

The app is only as good as the data going into it.

Cancellations require manual intervention, and there are far more of those right now than normal, but the same number of controllers who are trying to keep the service going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Whilst there are many valid points, the complaint that buses that are not tracking show scheduled so you are able to distinguish them is not a bad thing in my eyes. At least it differentiates between real time and non real time tracked services rather than giving the misleading impression that they're all real time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

That is helpful, yes, but the app makes no effort to explain the 'scheduled' note so probably no use to 99% of the population.

It's a standard through the other apps in other countries. Any computer literate person will easily correctly assume that's a scheduled time and a realtime info is missing for that departure. I'm dismissing your complain. You'd know I love complaining and would normally support good ideas and valid complaints. Nice try, but not this time.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm kinda glad that small font and hard to read outside/on the move seem to be more than just a 'me' issue anyway. Hopefully it brings it one step closer to being fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭apache

I'm trying to get used to the new app. I was used to the old one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Jayuu

App does what I want it to do for me. Why should I request features I don't want which most likely will overload and slow the app down. I'll let other people request those thanks very much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement