Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

When they set it up, and before they left it, it was not involved in any murders, explosions or anything like that.

Why did you mention Oliver Gibson, who it seems was never in a para-military or terrorist group? It seems you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel to try to find a unionist politician involved in paramilitary activity, or indeed any murders, explosions etc.

I asked you "The difference is SF members were at least sometimes IRA members and vice versa?" Some would say hundreds if not thousands.

"And SF attends commemorations for PIRA, and condones same? Ever see a mainstream unionist politician condoning a Shankhill butcher or UVF man from the troubles?"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How do you know this and why is it relevant?

Is it ok to set up a paramilitary group? Yes or no.

Define Paramilitary group. If a group is set up for peaceful protest only, and within the law, OK.

It certainly is very very wrong to be a member of one if it is involved in shooting, explosions etc.

The closed you can get is a DUP person fined (the price of a house by the government of the Rep of Ireland) for "unlawful assembly".

Huge difference between that and the activies of SF / IRA? The difference is SF members were at least sometimes IRA members and vice versa?" Some would say hundreds if not thousands?

Define Paramilitary group. If a group is set up for peaceful protest only, and within the law, OK.

That is classic fudging to be honest.

'It was only a peaceful paramilitary group your honour'.

Indeed the protest in Co. Monaghan (nobody was really hurt) was extremely peaceful compared to many of the activities SF / IRA got up to, it is fair to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Those peaceful rocket launchers that Robinson was trying to get his hands on really were something alright.

The only rockets that were fired when Robinson was involved were those petrol bombs by Republicans to celebrate the court fining him the cost of a house for his relatively peaceful protest / unlawful assembly.

Aye, of course. He only had the UDA campaigning for his election, tried to obtain rocket launchers and then accidentally founded a paramilitary organisation that imported weapons linked to over 70 murders. Future generations will talk of him like a Northern Irish Ghandi I'm sure.

If you have evidence he "tried to obtain rocket launchers" you should report that to the psni.

• Advertisement

So in other words, no evidence or proof apart from the word of someone you say was in the UDA? Hnnn.

Were the rocket launchers ever got or used?

The Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland published a 157-page report into the infamous Loughinisland massacre in 1994, which saw loyalist gunmen murder six civilians in a bar. Evidence found that guns used in that attack were imported into Northern Ireland by the Ulster Resistance in the late eighties

and

The report has identified that two of the weapons from this shipment were connected to the UVF attack on the Heights Bar in Loughinisland on 18 June 1994, in which six people died and five others were injured; to the murders of two men in separate attacks and to a series of other terrorist incidents.

Police figures indicate that the unrecovered weapons from the importation were used in a least 70 murders and attempted murders.

A 'peaceful' paramilitary organisation?

As the recent documentary on the BBC laid it out this wasn't Paisley's first circus. Paisley's earlier association with paramilitaries

The Ulster Constitution Defence Committee (UCDC) was established in Northern Ireland in April 1966. The UCDC was the governing body of the loyalist Ulster Protestant Volunteers (UPV). The UCDC coordinated parades, counter demonstrations, and paramilitary activities. Ian Paisley was the Chairman of the group.

leading, unbelievably some would think, to him being chucked out of the Orange Order, who said the activities of the group:

"represent a defiance of lawful authority no less serious in essence than that of the IRA."

UCDC Group members Gusty Spence, Hugh McClean and Robert Williamson were witnessed by the RUC shooting 4 barmen they presumed to be in the IRA. The 3 got life imprisonment and Paisley denied any knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

For someone who was defining what ‘war’ meant, funny you can’t define what paramilitary means

”an unofficial force organized similarly to a military force.”

Militaries were invented for peaceful reasons now? Thats some crazy bending of reality going on

But you could have an unofficial force organized similarly to a military force, as was Ulster Resistance when those 2 or 3 DUP individuals were in it. They left it, as did most others it seems, long before they imported arms or carried out any terrorist activity. Not their fault is a very small number of individuals - out of the 2000 or so initially - hijacked the movement and went in their own direction.

Setting up Ulster Resistance was still not a great thing to do, even though some would argue when it was done, it was after a decade and a half almost of a sustained IRA bombing campaign every few days almost.

How many Unionist politicians were convicted of terrorist offences ( shooting , causing explosions etc)?

Many many SF were?

Why would you believe the word of somebody who had set up at least 2 paramilitary organisations?

You don't believe Adams and McGuinness about their involvement or not with paramilitaries, why would you believe Robinson and Paisley?

It is accepted by any historian commentator worth their salt that Paisley's rhetoric in the 70's and 80's resulted in bloodshed, and we can see that for ourselves. The man was more than capable of transferring that hate to paramilitary activity.

I, like most people, would believe the likes of Adams was in the IRA, because so many others knew him to be so - from informers to other people in the IRA to the British government (who flew him over to London for talks in the early seventies to plead with him to stop the violence ). Both governments had ways of knowing who was who. When McGuinness or Adams said during the GFA talks they needed to ask the IRA / see the IRA, all our government said to them was to go in to the toilet and look in the mirror, or words to that affect.

Paisley said things he never should have said but I do not believe he ever was involved in shooting or buying arms, or bombing or such like. No informer ever said he was either. I do not believe he was involved in any shootings or bombings etc.

Big difference between that - if that is the worst DUP or unionist politician you can find - to those who were involved in violence. You have not found any Unionist Politician or DUP member involved UVF, UDA, Shankhill butchers -or Ulster Resistance when it had arms? How many people were involved with both SF and IRA activity? Hundreds? Thousands?

I, like most people, would believe the likes of Adams was in the IRA, because so many others knew him to be so -

I like most people, including the BBC and any historian you care to mention, believe Paisley not only 'was in' but started and led two paramilitary organisations.

Paisley said things he never should have said but I do not believe he ever was involved in shooting or buying arms, or bombing or such like. No informer ever said he was either. I do not believe he was involved in any shootings or bombings etc.

No, you should phrase this correctly - 'you do not want to believe'.

But the facts are there, he started 2 paramilitary organisations, was implicated in paying for the first bombs to be set off, and indulged in the most vile sectarian hate speech heard on these islands. Even if he never put a rifle to his shoulder, those things he most certainly did are enough to link him to paramilitaries.

I have no issue saying that some members of SF were heavily involved with paramilitaries, that is also fact.

You 'believe' away but it is quite clear your bias is at the core of your belief. And that's a very shaky core.

"you could have an unofficial force organized similarly to a military force" - by any chance you wouldnt mean a paramilitary force would you? I assume that would be for fighting rather than say, clog dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I was making a relevant comparison, but if you want a more recent one, both the Gardai and the PSNI believe that the PIRA Army Council still control Sinn Fein, well, according to their more recent statements on the matter.

Having a meeting with paramilitaries is a lot less serious than being controlled by them, wouldn't you agree?

No Blanch, you weren't making a relevant comparison. You were engaging in whataboutery to avoid addressing the DUP voting patterns on Brexit being directly pushed by LCC and the current controversy with a DUP member and UPRG.

Is it even possible for you to write a post without running straight to, 'but what about SF'....you don't even address the points put to you, you just go off on another SF rant. Your obsession is unhealthy.

• Advertisement

You accuse others of whataboutery and you divert without answering the question:

"Having a meeting with paramilitaries is a lot less serious than being controlled by them, wouldn't you agree?"

Basic convention is that a poster responds to the point made to them before demanding answers.

In our brief interaction, it is apparent you haven't grasped this, and your entire debate method involves ignoring every question put to you and copy/pasting the same out of context biased nonsense over and over again.

Save us both the time and just don't bother replying to me; I'm done engaging with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

One man's apt comparison is another man's whataboutery.

I am happy to condemn the DUP for meeting with paramilitaries as well as condemning Sinn Fein for being controlled by them. Unlike you and others on this site on both sides, I hold both the DUP and Sinn Fein in utter contempt. One is more relevant to me because it seeks my vote. Don't mistakenly consider my distaste for Sinn Fein as support for the DUP, and I won't stop pointing out relevant hypocrisies when I see them.

The difference is that the IRA are engaged in 'exclusively peaceful means' and have decommissioned their weapons, both to the satisfaction of the bodies tasked to monitor these things. The IRA were meant to take part in democratic politics and they have.

However the Loyalists whom Arlene etc are meeting and want to be stakeholders, are active as paramilitaries. Here is just one recent incident involving one of the LLC groups.

A leading loyalist is thought to be one of two men arrested over a security alert by the Ulster Volunteer Force at an event attended by Simon Coveney.

The Irish foreign minister was giving a peace-building talk in north Belfast in March when a van was hijacked and there was elaborate hoax bomb.

A number of operations have been carried out in the Shankill area of Belfast and in Ballymena.

Two men - aged 46 and 51 - were detained under the Terrorism Act.

The police say two suspected weapons have been seized and two vehicles removed for further examination.

They are also issuing threats.

It comes after the latest chilling warning from senior UVF figures that loyalists will “wreck the place” and “the streets will be in flames” if any Brexit deal between the UK and EU does not scrap the Irish Sea border.

UVF disorder threat: Change attitude to loyalist gangs, says Alliance MLA | BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Unlike me? I challenge you to find a single positive post I've made about SF Blanch. I'm regularly highly critical of them as you well know, so you can drop that line of b*llocksology and all.

I welcome you pointing out relevant hypocrisies where you see them, I'm sick to death of you turning absolutely everything into a rant about SF no matter how irrelevant. You'd save yourself a whole lot of time if you set yourself a template that started all your posts with, 'Ah but what about when Sinn Fein'.

asking a loyalist what he thinks of the IRA - hilarious stuff there Blanch152

Just the same as the "New" IRA or "Real" IRA or Continuity IRA are different to the Provisional IRA ( remember the Republican group which was involved with a few bombs before the Brexit negotiations to warn about the dangers of a hard border - bomb found in Armagh Feb 2020, the bomb in Derry in Jan 19 I think it was etc ) , so loyalist groups are presumably different people etc to those other loyalists 40 years ago / can warn and huff and puff as well. They are all equally as bad as each other. One thing for sure, there will not be a peaceful united Ireland.

Maccored, I expected better from you. That is a slur against a law abiding citizen who happens to be from the Protestant community in N. Ireland and is working here in the Republic. You have no proof he is a loyalist. I have heard ordinary decent Protestants here in the Republic been verbally attacked before about being loyalists and paisleyites and what not, and people taunting them with Uh Ah up the RA and such like, it is not funny. And then you wonder why the Protestant population went from roughly 10% to 3% in the 20th century in Ireland.

Kielty is right, we are not ready for a UI. Have we really moved on much sometimes? Maybe in 100 years.

The IRA are not the same group as the others you mentioned All of them have been monitored by the relevant body tasked.

Ridiculous trying to connect them.

Talking of Patrick Kielty, he had a great joke and he did connect them.

• Advertisement

Well if you are taking the word of a comedian over The IMC Ithink we are done on this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement