Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flush slate vents- do they work?

Options
  • 25-05-2023 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

I am currently roofing and our house requires slate vents to work with the over soffit eaves vent. There are two options for our roof vents- one looks like a slate with a projection, the other is a slate vent that looks 'flush'. I have to admit, the flush slate vent looks much more attractive. My architect has told me though that I would require more of these as the ventilation from them is poorer. Has anyone used these 'flush' vents before, and do they let in the rain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Biker1

If you are using over fascia ventilator strips and you have a clear path for ventilation from one side of the roof to the other then there is no need for slate vents at all. Some people seem unable to interpret the requirements in Part F and just add in things that make no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

My architect says that since I have a room below the roof I will need vent slates. He doesn't mind what style I go for, as long as the ventilation requirement is met. My only concern with the 'flush' or in-line slate vents is that water may come in, unlike the slates with the protruding vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

For a room in the roof I would normally use a continuous over-fascia eaves vent and a continuous ridge vent.

If there is a reason you cannot use a ridge vent you could use vents at gable ends or slate vents - but you need to ensure flow of air.

If you use slate vents how do you maintain air flow between the rafters - counter battened roof or a lot of slate vents?

I've used slate vents in situations previously where with valley gutters, etc. we couldn't get eaves ventilation.

No problem with the flush vents but need to ensure they are carefully fitted.

F

Advertisement