Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Got my tickets for Sunday, no shortage apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

What does it matter about how other managers behave? The GAA have found Cahill guilty of abusing officials and handed out a punishment. Given your previous absolutist position on abuse of referees you will surely not only throw your full weight behind the decision but also urge your county board to do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I've already stated why it matters. What absolutist position?

Why don't you leave him alone. He is entitled to his opinion and doesn't need you hounding him. Who do you think you are Donal Og?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

People seem to forget that referees are human, they get a split second to see and make a pressurised decision even with a sometimes obscured view . I believe the players would have less complaints than the fans . I've stood on sidelines with friends and we would see an incident and disagree . Referees mistakes are part of the game and the debate after the game

They’re simple questions. Do you support the punishment handed down to Cahill? Do you insist that the Tipperary county board accept this punishment without question?

I’ve already made my position clear on those matters. Why do you keep repeating them?

I think you’re using words that are tying you up in knots. What absolutist position? Are you on absolut vodka?

Tipperary GAA can confirm that notification of a proposed 4 week suspension plus a 1 match ban for Senior Hurling Manager Liam Cahill was received from the CCCC today.

Tipperary GAA and Liam Cahill are now considering options and will make a decision within the timeframe allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭KClon11

Would you ever go back to your own thread and stop repeating yourself on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

Stack was a complete and utter embarassment who utterly failed in his duties as a referee.

Virtually every single key call was given to the benefit of Limerick.

Tom Morrissey should have been booked for 2 seperate incidents involving Barrett and Jake Morris. Numerous instances of high/dangerous Limerick challenges not blown for. His handling of a player in need of concussion protocol was f*cking shameful - Barrett staggering around the pitch for nearly 2 minutes while he gawked at him - did he not think to make the connection that it's his responsibility to protect the players? Never mind the fact that there was nothing given for the dangerous challenge which led to the concussion incident.

Diarmuid Byrnes with a highly dangerous charge where he clearly, intentionally raised his head to make dangerous contact with Bonnars head? Yellow/red card for Brynes for dangerous play surely? Nah, free for Limerick.

Darragh O Donovan on Kehoe? No issue with hurl to the head, move on.

The Bonnar throw incident which was probably the most legitimate handpass of the entire day, which would have been a near guaranteed goal, with 90 percent of the throwing done by Limerick but Tipp were blown 3 times for throws? Rotten.

Crucial line balls not given to Tipp. No wonder Cahill was up in arms, the referee and linesman were provably wrong in their decision - they have literal video proof of their error, but rather than acnowledge the farcical attempt at officiating on Sunday, they decide they'll throw out a ban?

Was it just the single helmet issue that was the only decision given to the benefit of Tipperary?

Fcuk them. These lads give up virtually their entire lives to an amateur organisation, where some of the biggest games of their lives are decided on the whims of an absolute weapon of a referee, who can't referee the game properly?

Do Tipp play the lads over thirty again this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Hahahahahaha

I see you are only seeing incidents negatively affecting one side. Limerick fans could have as many whinges about decisions and saying every key decision went to Limerick is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

In fairness it matters what others do and have done in the context of judging consistency or inconsistency. Not unreasonable at all.

If ur looking for consistency in the gaa I'm afraid ur going to be disappointed

Brian Gavin

Well, it’s the championship that keeps on giving and what a privilege it was to watch those Munster games in Ennis and Thurles.

It was a massive weekend for both Johnny Murphy and Seán Stack. 

Seán was given his biggest game yet between Tipperary and Limerick, and while he didn’t do a huge amount wrong, he didn’t look confident or comfortable.

Because Limerick’s support was so strong, it wasn’t truly a home game for Tipperary but their following was still vocal and every decision prompted a response from the stands and the terraces.

Tom Morrissey could have been yellow-carded on two occasions early on for incidents involving Cathal Barrett and Jake Morris. Instead, Barry Nash was the first Limerick man into the book when he went high on Patrick Maher. 

I thought Nash’s second yellow for retaliating against Dan McCormack late on was on the innocuous side.

Seán erred in penalising Maher for a throw ball in the 24th minute when Morris would have been put through on goal. From the free, Limerick sent the ball up the field and Aaron Gillane struck a point.

Another call that baffled me was the decision not to stop the play when Barrett went down for the second time with a head injury. The protocol is to call a halt when that happens – there was a similar incident in Cusack Park earlier in the afternoon – and it was clear Barrett was in distress.

James Owens’ late decision to signal a sideline cut in Limerick’s favour was wrong and enraged Liam Cahill who appeared to be sent off for his remonstrations. 

If you run down the sideline to give out to a linesman like that then you’re leaving yourself open to punishment. It might not be the end of the world for Tipp as they should beat Waterford next weekend but it wasn’t called for.

As for the equalising free won by John McGrath, I thought it was the right call but I would question the confirmation of it. Seán took his time making it and it felt like the reaction from the Tipperary crowd influenced his thinking. I hope a game like this will bring him on but it was a tough assignment.

In Ennis, Johnny Murphy gave one of his best games to date. He has put behind him his reputation for being on the fussy side while remaining sharp like he was on Conor Cleary for holding twice off the ball and booking him the second time. Cleary later left the pitch with a shoulder injury and the best of luck to him in his recovery.

Clare looked to be calling for a black card when Ciarán Joyce gave away the penalty for fouling Shane O’Donnell but it was clear he was holding him. 

Johnny made that obvious in his explanations to the players, which was extremely helpful and the sign of a good referee. Cork’s penalty was also the right call as Seadna Morey fouled Shane Kingston and Johnny was spot on with his booking of Brian Hayes.

The major talking point from the football on Saturday was Frank Burns’ sending off for that reckless foul on Jack Glynn. He might have been close to a fair shoulder to shoulder but it was mistimed and he had to go.

Niall Morgan was also black-carded for saying something to David Gough after Ian Burke’s poor tackle on Peter Harte. He must have uttered something serious because usually in those cases referees use their discretion.

After a good Ulster final the week before, this was a more difficult day out for David who would have upset Tyrone with some of his calls. 

I get that the leading referees are needed more than ever with the games coming thick and fast but it can’t be easy on them.

Finally, last Monday’s U20 Munster hurling final was one of the best I’ve seen in that grade and Michael Kennedy’s officiating was a big factor in it being such a spectacle. 

He struck me as a referee who didn’t look for attention and that bodes well for his career.

I'm surprised Brian didn't mention Tom Morrissey forcing Barretts hand into his face guard too,consistency my hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭I says

James Owens as linesman or a ref. I wouldn’t let that gowl ref an u 7 go game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭I says

Liam Gordon is the best ref in Ireland by a mile. The mandarins above in croker have every ref shitless by questioning their decisions. Look at James Mulhare after the cork Dublin league game. Did everything by the book and since then has ran the line in a few div 3/4 games. Refs can’t do their jobs looking over their shoulders the whole time.

Fergal Horgan was rite it’s all political.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Always good to hear Gavins view, . Interesting how he comments on the noise from the stands regarding every decision , It probably has to influence the ref as the game develops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Surprised Gavin didn't mention byrnes charging with his head into bonnar and then dropping like he was shot unlike bonnar who was charged at, Surprised he didnt mention o Donovans cowardly shot with the hurley to kehoes head as he was whizzing past him setting up a point or tom Morrissey's cowardly flick to Morris's ribs after ball gone. Ah well as you said , cant get consistency, i agree.

If u want to see a coward all u have to do his look at ur corner back

If u can't take the heat get out of the kitchen lol

Once Cork dump ye on Sunday ye will probably do ye're usual and go another 45 years before winning an all Ireland! 2068, what age will you be then ,55 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Think you mean big soft Flanagan who went rolling around after his face guard moved a little bit. A child wouldn't have laid down like that.

No wasn't talking about big soft Flanagan as u put it at all,Try again

• Advertisement

Good man Dan did u come back to the home of hurling for a bit of support from ur fickle neighbours.Are the celebrations in full swing 😆

Advertisement