Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N17 - Knock to Collooney [design & planning underway]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Of course the entire road needs upgrading but that isn't going to happen in the short term, and not even in the medium term under the supposedly defunded plan as it was going to be in planning for at least the rest of this decade and potentially into the next one too. These mega projects get drawn out for years and there is no guarantee that it will be looked upon favourably when it is eventually "shovel ready", the scrapping of it would at least open up the possibility for some upgrades in the not too distant future.

There is practically no chance of it proceeding as a single 50km, €600m project anyway, if it is eventually going to be broken up, why not look at particular sections now with the possibility of actually building something in a shorter timeframe?

I will never understand your, and many other posters, way of looking at this. The real insult here was being fobbed off with a meaningless promise of a massive new road at some undefined point in the future while things are allowed deteriorate because its not worth doing anything else before the massive project happens. The only thing that was guaranteed under the Knock - Collooney plan was that the existing road would be much the same as it is today come 2030.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Well yes, that's where we are with the N20 as I see it. It was bundled up as "one big job" and effectively put on the "never" list because it was too big. It's very frustrating

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I have two seperate points to make on this.

1. We delivered a 57km megaproject on this route during the recession. We've done so before so TII obviously felt it merited exploring doing this (planning & design at least) as one rather than having 4 separate projects tying into one another and all the additional complexities that would arise from such an endeavour.
    2. It was made clear in recent months that this was designed to be phased (I presume this is primarily from interference from the bike salesman and that's why it was trimmed from 55km to 40km also). Why not advance these phases (I believe there are 5 and they are designed to tie into one another reasonably easily) phase by phase once planning has been acquired? They could put the whole 40km in for planning, and then advance it one section at a time. We did this on a much smaller scale on the N56 in Donegal when the country didn't have a pot to piss in so we can surely manage it now. If this is to be a 2+2/Type 1 single it won't be an excessively costly scheme either.

1. It may have been delivered during the recession but the project you are referring to was designed and advanced during the Tiger years (motorway north of the M6 was boom time vanity project). It was also a PPP which allowed for it to be delivered as a single project, it almost certainly would have reduced were it being funded by the Exchequer.
    2. The smaller scale likely helped that project as it was possible to deliver all within a reasonable period of time. There is the possibility that planning permission could expire before all the N17 is built. All they had to do was confirm the Preferred Route, then bring sections through planning and straight to construction. Bringing it all through full design only means that nothing will happen for several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Westernview

This is the connacht telegraph piece I referenced yesterday which is now online, for anyone thats interested

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2023/05/24/major-political-row-festering-over-new-mayo-to-sligo-road-bombshell/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cartoncowboy

No problem with doing it in chunks as long as there is some kind of commitment to do that and not allow the planning approval to lapse. But with Eamon Ryan at the wheel, there is no guarantee even that would happen. His comments seem to suggest its on the never never as long as he's around.

What would be most annoying would be that planning is approved, one section gets built and the rest is prolonged to the point that planning expires and the whole project restarts again in the future, wasting money all over again and keeping the local land owners in permanent limbo.

Well the current (seemingly strapped) project is most likely to result in some part(s) getting built and that planning expires on the rest. As it stands/stood, it is/was one big project with one Business Case. Turning that into multiple projects takes a lot of administration and time. Each section basically needs a new Business Case (because the benefits of any section are very different to the benefit of the whole lot in one go) which then has to get approval. There is also no guarantee that the budget allocation for the overall project will be split amongst smaller projects as they are essentially new projects with their own Business Case and the funding allocation could die with the overall project if its Business Case doesn't proceed through the gates.

So you have a longer planning process due to the scale of the project, followed by Business Case approval and construction possibly multiple times which runs down planning validity. Planning smaller sections could go through planning quicker (the first few could use the early stage work already done) and have Business Case updated as it proceeds (as is how the process is supposed to work).

Ryan is unlikely to be MfT in under the next government so most likely will have no influence on decisions relating to construction. It would be much easier for a future Minister to push forward smaller, lower cost projects than a project with an estimated cost of €600m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I specifically referenced only 25km of road between Ballinacarrow and Curry. More than once. The rest of it is abysmal but that section is quite literally dangerous to travel on.

What you call being “fobbed off with a meaningless promise”, I would call having finally seen the long process of having the N17 brought up to an appropriate standard, begin at last. The road was deemed a requirement, it was planned, the land owners had been notified of probable CP orders and it seems one person has stymied it for reasons he has not deemed worth disclosing.

If you’re familiar with the current road, I’m not sure how much more you could expect it to deteriorate. It is already a disgraceful piece of infrastructure. The proposed project was not some white elephant like the Harry Blaney bridge that we were being bedazzled with by a government minister. It’s a National Primary Route that is a lot worse than many Regional Roads. That’s the way I, and apparently apparently most other people who have to travel this road regularly, are looking at it. God knows it’s not because the north west is used to having the best of everything.

Post edited by il gatto on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Oireachtas Committee on Budgetary Oversight is currently running weekly meetings on setting up an Irish sovereign wealth fund. One of the speakers, Prof. Stephen Kinsella from the University of Limerick, spoke this week about that topic to the committee and one of the points he made was that the projected €65bn surplus forecast over the next few years is actually conservative and it could be much more. Given the current global geopolitical situation, Ireland is in a position to get even more US/western FDI so money is not going to be an issue anymore.

Taking this into account, the old trope about funding is no longer credible. The excuse for not building roads/railways/public housing etc is gone now. I notice that Sinn Féin’s new transport spokesperson is from this area, so it’ll be interesting to see how much of an election issue this project becomes. It’ll be interesting to see how FG/FF deal with cancelling a project such as this to placate a well intentioned goon whose own party will not be losing any seats in this area.

Post edited by marno21 on

• Advertisement

Is it a coincidence that this particular road, as well as the N15, N16 and N59 are in such a deplorable state when Sligo hasn’t had a full minister since 1988? I suspect it’s not. It’s well known that having a minister leads to funding and 35 years without one puts you behind the 8 ball.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Indeed. I'm actually in the "reduce road spending" group, but I acknowledge the existence of roads that are going to continue to see traffic growth AND are of such a dangerous standard over the length that small upgrades and corrections won't make a difference. That section of road is one of them.

The "not worth disclosing" bit is a piece I take great exception to. Everyone makes mistakes, but if you believe in what you're doing and you're consciously making decisions then you shouldn't need to hide those decisions from view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I think people are massively overthinking the reasons why this isn't going ahead. There are two reasons:

1) It's a road;

2) It's a road serving a region where there are no Green TDs defending seats at the next election.

There's really nothing more to it than that. Talk of bypasses and unrealistic rail projects is just fluff to avoid saying that you're not getting this and you're not getting anything else either, as long as the Greens have a say in the matter.

I don’t think anyone is overthinking it. The road was supposed to be built and it seems Eamon Ryan has stopped it. That’s why people are angry. That there isn’t a more complicated issue that could explain it other than “No soup for you!”.

The road was supposed to be designed, nothing was going to be built for many years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I think this road will be fine. Ryan won't be MfT beyond 2025 and this project wouldn't have made much progress by then anyway. His successor can only be more amenable than Ryan.

Nobody expected it to be built immediately. It was to be designed with a view to being built. I’m sure you would concede that the reason for designing a road is with a view to building it rather than keep engineers busy while you think of a real job for them. I certainly never said anything about an immediate start in construction and it’s fairly disingenuous to suggest I did.

And now any move towards that has been suspended as far as we’re allowed to know.

How is what Leo said any different? There's still no commitment or start date etc. Its still 10-15 years away

• Advertisement

I didn't say it was any different. Its just an update in terms of it coming up in the Dail. I dont get the impression that it will be scaled back further to town bypasses anyway which some have feared.

At least if Sinn Fein are pushing these questions they will be under pressure themselves to back it up if they get into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭I told ya

No coincidence.

And before Ray McSharry I can only think of Ted Nealon. I think he was only a junior minister. And before that?

Can't recall any other ministers since the early 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭I told ya

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Not having a go at you but this is an indictment of all that is wrong in this country with regard to planning and development.

It's the one thing I hear about ministers that drives me crazy that we have to have some sort of regional balance. Ministers are supposed to be working for the country as a whole so it shouldn't matter where they come from, it should matter that they are competent and qualified for their roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

They're politicians. So they're not competent and qualified for anything except talking shít. The competence and qualification is supposed to come from their Department Officials, and bodies like TII.

Really? Sinn Fein will be under pressure to deliver this road? They'll be relieved to learn that they won't have to worry about housing, the health service or even the WRC, which they are massive supporters of.

Sinn Fein Fianna Fail Nua have made so many promises that won't get delivered.

I'm on record here as being sceptical as to how much Sinn Fein will deliver if they get in but the fact that we haven't seen them in power means we just don't know either way. You have already decided that what they promise 'won't get delivered' . Fair enough if thats what you believe but unless you have a crystal ball thats just simply an opinion until it's confirmed or otherwise.

The point I was making was that if they are backing things now and dont deliver on them after waiting so long to get into power the electorate will remember it at the following election. That's what I meant by pressure to deliver.

I wouldn't be banking on the memory of the electorate beyond the scope of a few months especially as regards infrastructure provision or lack thereof.

It's very easy to come out with "x project could be back on the agenda after TD Y challenged Z agency" in the run up to an election

I don't disagree with the idea that they haven't been in power before, so let's wait and see. But one would have to be naive in the extreme, to imagine that they will deliver all (or a lot of) what they are promising, since they are promising so much. So, they're going to have to prioritise. Myself, I think that they infrastructure that they should, or will, prioritise is housing and health. Roads and rail are gonna have to wait.

And even with that, there are, and most likely will not be enough workers to deliver on their ambition, even if they do manage to get over all the vested interests that will try to block them - including some of their own TDs who, like all other TDs, already object to housing developments anywhere.

It's a massive task that they will be undertaking, no question. So, it's not even a question of "won't get delivered", it's a fact that the whole programme "can't get delivered". You don't need any crystal ball to know that.

• Advertisement

Yep this is what I'm always moaning about in the infrastructure forum: we're kinda back to discussing politics again and it's nobody here's fault. We just need to do more to decouple infrastructure planning and spending from the election cycle I think.

I'd be happy if the transport minister had almost no input into how TII/NTA spent on roads, other than the overall funding money available, and the broad policy concepts (yes to bypasses, yes to distributors, no bypass-distributors etc). I realise that this makes the NTA/TII officials extremely powerful but I think it's better than all the electioneering we have at the moment.

Advertisement