Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New electric shower

Options
  • 23-05-2023 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

When replacing one electric shower with another, is it awkward moving from one brand to another for a plumber or should they be able to handle it e,g have a Mira sport..is it a big deal to change to a Mira qt for example? And also is it easy to change from one shower to a shower with a different kw?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Like for like swap is generally the easiest, provided the original installation was good. That said moving to a different brand isn't the end of the world once you do your homework.

Going up in KW, can be an issue if the original cable isn't 10sq or RCBO might be too small. That said some of the KW ratings are at 240V, many installations don't see that voltage, hence your 9.5KW shower may in reality only be 9KW etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Agree with the above. Some prefer Triton, some prefer Mira but there is little difference in my opinion.

A like for like should mean that cable, fixing points and pipe entry points align. This is important when the area is tiled. The kW rating is a good point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Mira Sport is a mains fed shower I think. Elite QT is pumped tank fed. Is your situation tank fed or direct off mains? (which would be less common)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Mira sport is mains fed & Mira Elite qt (no longer on the market) is tank fed.

Assuming shower is upstairs with cleared attic space above the shower changing from mains to tank fed isn't a big deal. I would expect for you to be charged an extra €150 to alter the pipe work in the dublin area

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Is the Triton pumped electric shower still better than Mira ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just be careful of the mains versus tank fed.

Triton do what they call an easy fit which allows pipework to enter in any corner within the unit so ideal for replacements.

The short answer is the Triton T90SR is a better quality shower compared to the Mira Elite SE.

The Elite SE comes with a cheap plastic hose rather than a quality chrome one. The plastic hose kinks where it is attached to the shower head & eventually becomes damaged enough to restrict the water causing it to go scalding. The plastic on the Mira Elite SE is cheap & becomes brittle after a very short time. It's not unusual to see a screw or screws pull through the casing on a Mira. You will never see this on a Triton T90. The plastic around the screw holes that hold the cover on break very easily. The shower pole is chrome. It slides into two white plastic parts that help pin it to the wall. You need to tighten a screw so the plastic grips the chrome tightly. Not tight enough & the pole falls out of the plastic within a day or so & homeowner thinks you can't fit a shower pole correctly. Tighten the screw tight enough to hold the pole & the plastic cracks after a year of so. It's a terrible design. It would be ok if chrome bits were used rather than plastic to hold the pole but using plastic is setting you up for failure.

They have resolved all of the issues inside the shower. They are on the MK3 version of the pump elbow. It took almost 6 years to get this one part to the quality it should have been before they launched the Mira Elite QT. I would suggest motor, element, solenoid & TCO will have the same lifespan as the Triton versions. It's the cheap plastic that lets it down so badly. Mira will tell you that you are tightening all the screws too tight but we don't do them any tighter than on Triton, Aqualisa etc. I have never seen any other brand crack like the Mira.

In short everything inside the shower is good quality but your Mira with perfectly working internal parts may be hanging off the wall after a year or two.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but i'm replacing a Triton t-90 and looking at the T90SR.......I'm presuming the SR stands for silent running and the rest of necessary bits and bobs are like for like?

There is ever only one T90 on the market at any given time. The Triton T90SR should be the only T90 offered to you. All other t90 showers are at least 8 years old & are now obsolete

This is actually funny. We have an old Mira elite and the unit just dropped off it's fixings there a few weeks ago plus the usual failure of the slider on the pole.

I survey houses daily and 95 times out of 100, the Mira shower will be falling apart.

• Advertisement

The problem is most plumbers or electricians just install the odd shower & rarely do any repairs. They install the easiest one for them & think the shower is the dogs bollox. It's only dedicated shower repair companies who see what showers are the best or are good quality over time.

I get sad & mad about Mira showers. They have gotten the inside up to standard, for the most part, but if they continuously blame the installer on doing the screws too tight then there is little chance of them fixing the real problem & making them a better quality shower.

From a mira Elite qt this morning. Motor failed. Motor was replaced only 18 months ago. Client is delighted with the new Triton T90sr we replaced it with

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thanks for this.

I've the T90xr in a house I bought a couple of years ago. The pressure on it is a abysmal and I was hoping to get a replacement.

Anyone any thoughts on which one? (Bar the T90SR just mentioned)

There are only two pumped electric showers on the market. Triton T90sr & Mira Elite SE. They are around the same price but the Triton T90sr is a better quality shower. Stronger build with chrome hose rather than the plastic one mira bung in the box. All other electric showers you see are mains fed shower & not compatible with your set up. Pumped electric is better than mains fed anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thank you for that.

I've a combi feeding a bath and tap in the bathroom, I've always begrudged the old electric shower sitting there on a separate water source tbh!

If your combi boiler is installed correctly & is fed from the cold water tank with hot & cold going through a pump then you can install most showers if you wanted to get away from the electric shower. If your combi is installed incorrectly from the mains water supply & the cold from the cold water tank then you are very limited in what type of shower you change to

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭slystallone

How much would I likely be charged for a like for like swap?

The problem is, like all mains fed shower, the Mira Sport doesn't sell in large numbers here in Ireland. Retailers don't discount goods that they don't sell a lot of. They discount big selling showers like the Elite SE & T90sr.

I'd hazard a guess that €400 to €450 supplied & fitted for a mira sport is probably about right. Depends on what model sport & what part of the country you are in

Whatabout if i supplied the shower, how much to fit it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

If the mains pressure is proving stable and the shower is working reasonably well I’d replace like with like.

Any alternative electric shower, be it Mira or Triton, mains or tank fed will provide similar performance.

If you want a proper shower you will need to get a hot supply from your combi, and ensure in the first instance that the full system (hot and cold) is pumped from your water storage tank.

I've a triton mains fed in an ensuite and while you wouldn't call it a stylish unit, we have good pressure and without the pump it is beautifully silent. Also pretty cheap.

Each tradesman charges their own rates. I would suggest around €150 Inc vat as a guide price in Dublin

I have a 9.8kw Mira sport. If I was to get a new one it would be like above. However I notice for the one I have currently the hose comes out where the red dot is on the bottom right instead of the left in the picture. Does that make a difference? Those the hose have to come out the bottom on the same side?

It would be the supply Into the shower that would be the important bit.

Some shower models can take input water supply from various positions

Looks like feed is on the other side , hose is usually under heater tank, no idea why that would be

Sleeper 12 will know anyhow

It's difficult to see for sure, as the photo is blurry, but that looks like a multi fit Mira Sport. This would allow you to pipe it left, right, top or bottom.

Any Mira Sport, Triton T90z, T80, Mira Elite etc are all made so they can replace previous models with the same name. I'd be willing to bet hard cash that it's a direct replacement for your old Sport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I agree. I'd charge €95 to repair a shower. It's hard to believe that for another €55 you could have one installed. Dublin can be a strange part of the country for prices

• Advertisement

Is there much repair now .Back in the day I used to replace pumps , heater cans and TCOs if needed

Hardly seems worth it in hindsight .Simpler to replace mostly

Advertisement