Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

They weren't at the same time.

We lost out on the first house and then the second came on the market.

The cash buyers were bidding on a second house while they were sale agreed on the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

We are in the process of applying for mortgage for trading up to something bigger. What are people in similar situations thoughts on the talk of prices coming down due to the rise in interest rates etc..the way i look at it is, as we are trading up and selling the house we live in now, if we wait and prices drop it may be a case we could buy the new house cheaper, however the same could be said for the house we are selling, if we wait the value of that would fall by simiilar amount. Therefore is there anything to be gained by waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Who knows where the rises will stop, or how quickly they will come down?

But, interest rates are not forever. IMO, if you can afford it long term, just buy it.

I don't think there is any indication of house prices coming down in line with rates going up, unless 100k houses magically appear across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Impossible to tell what might happen. If you get a decent price for your own just bank it and move on. Just make sure whatever you buy is suitable for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has successfully claimed back DIRT tax on BoI Cash Back Plus offer, for a second hand property? Anything I have read is very confusing, is it only available to claim back if you are a FTB of a new build/self build? Or can all FTB claim it back?

• Advertisement

We are trading up - the way we look at it any increase / decrease will affect both the house you sell and the house you buy. Maybe not both by an equal amount, but it certainly protects you to a large extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 elaineocall

We're hoping to upgrade at some time in the near future - sell current house. Any advice on where to start? What 'ducks' do we need to get in a row before we get the ball rolling?

Start saving as much as you can each month on top of your current mortgage repayments. This will be needed to show you have the capacity to pay a higher mortgage. Especially important now as interest rates go up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭black & white

Let your solicitor know as soon as you put the house on the market. They can start getting deeds from bank and LPT etc which will shorten the wait after you go sale agreed

Drew down on my mortgage on 24th April with PTSB. Made my first mortgage payment today.

No sign of my cash back on draw down or monthly cash back yet. I know they did say "within 40 days".

Has anyone got their cash back on a similar timeline from PTSB as of yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 angbee

We are renting and intend to give notice once we are maybe a week or two out from closing (8 weeks required for us), it will be an added cost but I would rather have the peace of mind that we are not going to get to the perceived closing date and have an unforeseen delay, meaning we have to find somewhere to temporarily rent given the severe lack of rental stock and the fact that most properties up for rent in our area are around €1000 per month above what we are currently paying.

Ours is not a new property but the vendors have inherited somewhere and are already back and forth between the 2 houses. We will use the 8 weeks to do the small renovation work we need to do and take our time moving / getting utilities and appliances sorted.

Depending on your lender you may be able to get a deferred start for your mortgage repayments (BOI I think offer 3 months and AIB up to 6 months) which may take the pressure off a little in the short term if you are concerned there will be delays to your new home being ready.

Could also be worthwhile checking with people who have moved into the same development if there were earlier tranches of houses available, and how their actual timeline was vs intended timeline via local Facebook community group (you can post anonymously).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

I got it within a month, that was about a year ago though.

You still have a while to go on 40 calendar days, and even further on 40 business days. Feel free to ring them up and have a go, but you may just get told to bide your time.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Hi Mazzy

We were told by our broker to expect it before the second month of the mortgage direct debit ( we have not drawn down yet )

Can i just ask how long it took for them to release funds once solicitor requests them?

Our solicitor requested funds on friday , just waiting patiently to hear something back!

Also did you have to send in anything re final checks ?

I am fairly sure my solicitor request the funds Friday 21st April and had them Monday the 24th. No final checks/documents were requested.

cheers, i should be expecting something soon then.

hoping you are not terribly stuck for the cash back , sounds like a pain in the hole with all the waiting !

Ah no.

Just want to get an electric shower put in as this boiler one is a pain in the hole.

Have the money for it to hand but want to spend a bit of that on myself after all the stress of this year and use the cash back money for cosmetic/comfort improvements on the cassa.

I am lucky its in fairly good nick without too much to do.

a good holiday is needed after all this stress , and maybe a trip to turkey for the top of the head!!!

Can you draw down mortgage funds before closing?

We are hoping to close early July, but stressing about another possible rate increase before then (Bank of Ireland). If such an increase did happen, and let's say you had to draw down by 30th June to avoid it, could our solicitor draw down the funds before then to lock in the old rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 keil1234

We finally got to our closing date yesterday and gave our solicitor a call to see if everything was still on schedule only for them to tell us that they never received the signed contract back from the seller’s solicitor. So disappointing but apparently they are signing in the next coming days (found this out from EA). Our funds have been released so assuming they are just sitting with our solicitor now until they get the contract. our solicitor set this date as our closing and then never seemed to chase about the contract until we called to check if everything was still going to schedule. They are not in anyway proactive and don’t seem on the ball at all. Maybe they are working in the background but they are very slow to share any info with us. Am I correct in thinking that once the vendor signs and the copy of the contract is with our solicitor they will release funds and we can collect keys?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is risky - what happens if seller pulls out?

If you are a first time buyer, this could cause you to lose that status.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

Can't imagine the bank allowing that, the mortgage is secured against the house. If you don't legally own the house, what is the money secured against?

Im not suggesting pocketing the money, I mean can the solicitor draw it down. If the seller pulls out the money would be there to redeem the full mortgage

I know but clearly you need to draw down the funds at some point before you own the house. Just wondering how much before

• Registered Users Posts: 7 magnolia_18

Hi All, Any recommendation for a good surveyor in Dublin? This is for a 2bed apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jenthreepinks

We have finally gone sale agreed on our house 🥳 it’s been a longer process than we anticipated, everyone including estate agent thought the house would fly off the market as houses usually do in our area but it took nearly 2 and a half months and 12 group viewings. Definitely noticed that buyers are bidding more slowly and savvy than a few months ago (we have ourselves bid on 5 properties in the last year and the bidding was insane!). Anyway as per my previous posts we put the house up for less than we would accept under the advise of the EA which meant we attracted a huge amount of viewers but a lot of low offers. We ended up asking the EA to reset the price to in and around what we would take but they advised against it. So we asked them to tell people at viewings what our minimum price was to sell which was 25k above asking. We were in no rush to move and we love our house so had we not reached that we would have taken it off the market. It ended up going for 1.5% less than the same/our neighbours house last year.

My advise to anyone trying to gauge an asking price would be to make sure it is set close to what you would accept as it just prolongs the process otherwise. However, the strategy of low balling it does bring in a lot more viewers and our buyer wouldn’t have viewed at the price it actually went for….so in a way it worked! 🤷‍♀️

Now to secure a house before the kids start school in September 🤞🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Congrats. Im sure Agents know best but Id prefer to just say what I expect. I found that interesting the crowd who got it would not have viewed house at the price they paid. Confused me. Is that because buyers might not bother viewing house at edge of budget on assumption it will go for more so deem it waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

We’ve gone sale agreed on our house yesterday at €8k over asking took about 40 days from listing to sale agreed. Now all we need is to find somewhere ourselves! Stock is limited still.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jenthreepinks

Thank you! Yes according to what EA has told us their budget was in a lower category but having seen the house they really wanted it so stretched themselves. We do the same, I don’t view beyond our budget as I’d be too tempted and don’t want to screw ourselves financially!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Took me 50 days to go sell agreed, surprisingly well above ask (>10%) and above expectations.

buyer are cash buyers - how long does the conveyancing usually take? There wont be any title issues or so. And how common is it that buyers pull out currently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I would say, you should be able to wrap up in 5 weeks.

Living the life

Advertisement