Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

Good and all as today went the back of my mind asks how would we do if another team sets up like the rossies did. Louth could be a good tester against a defensive setup to see what answers we may have come up with

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Great win today, couldn’t help notice the media hype beforehand re Kerry were going to win based on nothing really. Mayo were written off very easily. They’re a very well organised outfit with the current management team. Get a funny feeling Galway are standing in our way later in the championship. Dublin could cause us bother but besides Mayo, Galway are the ones to watch I think…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

Galway looked ordinary enough against Tyrone. Maybe that's not a bad thing in that they're "solid", but I think Mayo are every bit as good as them as shown in both league games

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Absolutely. I much prefer Mayo’s style of play too. Much more exciting to watch. I don’t think Mayo should fear anyone. They should aim to top the group. The race for Sam this year is wide open, great opportunity. The best approach is low hype for the Mayo men…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Not long in the door from Killarney, it's a fair aul spin in one day but it's always easier after a win. Nice town, would have loved to stay for a few pints.

Wasn't confident when the changes were announced beforehand but the three replacements did well and Durcan, Coen, etc were great subs to bring on. Dominated midfield, thought Carney was excellent in the first half in particular - Kerry really missed Moran there. Some great points from both teams.

Off out now to spray paint the sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Does anyone know what would happen if we and another team finish with two wins each - is it decided by head to head, or points difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Head to head first. Then points difference if it was a draw.

When will the details of the Louth game be confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Assume it will be on Gaa go anyway, opted for the 3 match package in case that and the Cork game are on there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I can't see all 3 on GAA Go. There would be uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

We may live to regret it but Im liking Aido taking his own close in frees. In 2021 everyone including himself seemed to think he was there to win ball and lay it off asap. Against Dublin especially, he got a couple of easily scorable marks and never looked like scoring.

I dont know if its a McStay thing or something he took on himself, but forwards should be looking to score as often as possible and he looks dangerous.

Post edited by Sebastian Dangerfield on

He said in interview yday that mgmt had been telling him to take the frees from right hand side and didn't sound like he was mad about the idea, but going OK so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

If this is the case then we could lose against either louth or Cork and still go through top of the group if as expected kerry win their next two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

yeah but you'd quite possibly be in a 3 way tie then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Have to say, thought O'Hora looked sharp for a man who has had a long lay off. He added something, I felt.

• Advertisement

As I understand if its a 3 way tie then it would go to points difference but a tie between the top two (ie kerry win all their last games and Mayo lose one and win one) would mean Mayo go though on head to head.

Obviously that depends on results in other games but a lot better position than I expected Mayo to be in after this weekend.

Kerry also most likely looking like they play the likes of Galway or Dublin in a qf (if they get through a preliminary qf)

Too early to be predicting exact scenarios but the more i think about it the more important than game in Killarney was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

whats your specific worry, that we would meet an ultra defensive, neighboring team, 1 week after an all Ireland final? or is it a case of "we will win every game, but then again, we might not"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Didn't get to see the game, was at a family event. Delighted to have been wrong about my concerns for the game. Only seen the highlights but James Carr kicked some great points with both feet. Also very happy to hear that Ruane had a big game, he got a lot of stick during the league (myself included) but he's definitely a player that benefits from the harder running ground later in the year.

Does anyone know if the full match gets made available at any stage?

There's a scenario where Mayo lose to Louth, beat Cork; Louth beat Cork while Kerry win their last two games meaning 3 teams end up on 4 points and it goes to scoring difference. Fairly unlikely though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Does anyone know if the full match gets made available at any stage?

I am seeing all GAAgo matches over a week old as being available for free so that would mean that the game will be available to stream from next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

It was quite specific if you had bothered to read.

That we have not demonstrated as yet that we can pick our way around a well drilled defensively minded team in Championship which has been our Achilles heel the last couple of years - Tyrone in '21, Galway in Connaght last year, Ros this year. That a team like Louth might give a good example of if we have some ideas to counter the "Galway shawl" and similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I'm outside of Ireland so maybe that GAAGO pass is different, but on the Catch Up section of the site I think I can view games back almost immediately after they're finished. Last weekend's games and The Sunday Game from last night are definitely there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

From what I have seen of Louth (only 2 games), Mayos pace should be too much for them, even if they park the bus.

It is one thing have all your players behind the ball, but it is another to actually implement the blanket defence properly. You need coordination of movement between the players, when the attacking team is spraying the ball around and trying to poke holes with off-the-shoulder runners.

I know it's Mickey Harte, but I don't think Louth have the capability to set out a proper blanket defense.

I wonder when do we find out what time the Mayo Louth game is on. It's set for the Saturday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Agreed I don't think Louth have the players nor the conditioning to play that type of game. It's June 3rd or 4th on GAA.ie really poor form by HQ to not have the round 2 games confirmed by now. Bank Holiday Monday June 5th might be an option for some game also?

I believe we will be playing Louth on the Sunday @14.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Mayo vs Louth is on Sunday 4th June at 2pm per MayoGaa Twitter.

https://twitter.com/MayoGAA/status/1660693979275378697?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Mayo v Louth on Sunday 4th June. 2pm throw-in and live on RTE

it wasnt specific at all, it was a "but then again it might not" type post, of very little substance. don't forget a week before we lost to roscommon, we comprehensively bet the best galway team of the last 20 years..... and then comprehensively bet the all-Ireland champions. in essence beating the number 1 and number 2 team of last year, as well as beating or drawing every division 1 team in the league. we are exceptionally "in-form"

• Advertisement

Got to watch the full match last night. The reports and highlights suggested an open match but I was still surprised to see just how open it was.

Plenty of very good performances out there but, maybe because I had criticised him previously, I would have to pick Loftus out as having a very good game. The quality of balls in from him was excellent, the perfect balls for forwards to run on to. Plenty of other strong performances all around.

I don't think we'll see as open a game again but our running was phenomenal really.

The subs really jumped out at me. To be doing well against Kerry and then be in a position to bring on the likes Durcan, Hession, Conroy, McLaughlin is a very healthy place to be.

Yes,very open game and a bit surprised at kerry doing this,a bit of over confidence or disrespect maybe?

Leaving Aido one on one inside was madness on their part,I'd have preferred if we exploited that a bit more.

Mayo will beat most teams in an open game.Mickey Hartes Louth in Machale Park will be interesting.I imagine they'll use the Roscommon blueprint but I think a fresh Mayo at home could cut lose.Im not overly familiar with Corks style of play but having them (presumably) at a bigger hurling pitch like Ennis or Gaelic Grounds surely works to our benefit.

After that it's Croker if everything goes to plan so blankets and shawls are not as easily deployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mayobullz

Decided to rematch the game again today. Still alot to tidy up from a mayo POV. I understand reason why McBrien dropped off Clifford when he went out past 45, to cover high balls into full back line, but someone needed to be much tighter when he passed him off. Loftus had a good day sweeping and distributed ball well be he wasn't aggressive enough in tackle. Absolutely no harm giving away frees out round 45 just to lay down a physical marker. The jobs the 4 young lads did was outstanding. Coyne excellent all day. McBrien solid. McHugh has really stepped up and adding a scoring threat. Callinan rock solid considering he spent alot of day picking up O Shea when he came close to goal.

Midfield excellent. Have 4 lads between half forwards and Midfield that can win their own ball. The tandem of Ruane and Diarmuid cover every blade of grass and know when each other go now. Doherty had a sneaky good game. Tracked well. Knitted things together. Done dogs work.

Inside forwards speak for themselves. Clever running took out the sweeper. Kerry were terrified of leaving any of them 1 v 1 it left flanks open for kick passes and the lads took advantage. Obviously could have scored more goals but imnhappy they kept going for them and heads didn't go down.

Hession and Paddy came on and added pace and aggression. Tommy held space well and McLaughlin added the all important goal.

Overall delighted. This wasn't a game where we shot the lights out and kerry missed theirs. We beat them at left 4 goal chances behind us and missed 2 45s which Reape usually doesn't miss

It's certainly heartening to be in a position where we won and still have improvements to make. I definitely think the finishing in front of goal needs a lot of work. Some of the finishing was completely headless. We did well to work the chances, but they need to be buried. I think we had about 5 chances and only scored one of them. On another day, you'd only get one clear cut chance and you have to be putting that away because it could really be the difference between winning and losing. Even the last day, we should have had 2 goals in the first half but missed them. Then Clifford comes out in the second half and is trying really hard to work a goal - if one of those chances had gone in, the game might have had a different complexion and we'd be really regretting those missed shots in the first half, when we should have been out the gap. Winning in the end and finally getting the goal to seal it puts a gloss on it, but it's something that will stay in the back of my head, I reckon.

No problem, just declare that Mayo haven’t faced issues when playing against teams who setup ultra defensively and have still to show that they have worked out a way around it and sure it means it’s not real eh?

Also declare that Mayo comprehensively beat Galway when in fact it was a 3 point win where our keeper made four top class saves and kicked 3 long range frees. Reality is our two most disjointed league performances in the league were against Galway. We were very lucky to get the draw the first day and a combination of our keeper and Galway’s poor performance got us out the second day. The process in the team has been phenomenal this year and I am confident they will answer the questions around how they can deal with a messed defence. They haven’t done that yet though

Think there's a middle ground between both of your views. I would agree that we were less than convincing in both games versus Galway and we can certainly struggle against a blanket defence... But that's what blanket defences are designed to do, to make it hard.

There were other games in the league where came up against packed defences and won.

We obviously prefer open games and tend to struggle a bit more when it's not... But given our forward options and progress / continued expected progress, I wouldn't be making a massive deal about us not be able to break down a blanket defence.

theyve beaten everyone they played this year, with the exception of roscommon 1 week after winning the league final. take the negatives out of that any which way you can. The only fly in the ointment for me is dublin. they don't have a blanket, and are the only team likely to beat mayo this year.

The whole point of the blanket is to frustrate and make it as difficult as possible to score. Teams wouldn't be doing it if it didn't work. Most teams struggle to break it down, that's nothing new. A lot of the discussion around the blanket lately makes it sound like nobody has ever struggled with it before.

Oisin Mullin set to make his AFL debut this weekend.

From a Mayo point of view, huge credit to the lads who have stepped up this year. Fears of losing both Keegan and Mullin seem like a long time ago now, even though there's a fair way to go in the Championship.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I'm sure Mayo didn't throw the Roscommon game, but it seems that the 6 week break really has been a blessing for Mayo. They have had the break, got a chance to get some of the key players towards full fitness (O'Hora, Conroy, Durkan - and Jason Doherty looks like he can still mix it with the best). They have now beaten the supposedly best team in the Group, so have a decent chance of topping the group. Can't take anything for granted of course, but a team like Cork is exactly what Mayo want - not ultra defensive and appears to be mentally fragile and lack of confidence.

Topping the group is a huge bonus going into the quarter final, and they will get that little extra break again. If they get down to the last 8, it's the luck of the draw then - to play who ever comes through from the prelim quarter final play-offs.

Getting very far ahead but is it definitely an open draw for the quarter finals?

I had heard that teams from the same group would be avoided if possible.

do you think if we meet Monaghan, that they'd beat us? they were lucky to scrape a draw if I recall correctly.

• Advertisement

Monaghan beat us well in Castlebar, was tight enough but they got a late peno to win by 5 or 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Definitely "avoidance where possible" for the quarters.

Oddly, it's a slightly different avoidance than the semi-finals has. Semi's avoid any previous Championship meeting where the quarters only hope to avoid Provincial Final and Round One (the group phase) meetings.

https://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-master-fixtures-for-2023-published/ < Page 22 of the first document there.

"Quarter-Finals

01-02.07.2023 (Sat/Sun)

(Four Games)

The four first-place teams from Round 1 shall be drawn to play against the four Preliminary Quarter-Finals winners, subject in the first instance to the avoidance of repeat Provincial Final pairings and where possible repeat pairings from Round 1.

Semi-Finals

15-16.07.2023 (Sat/Sun)

(Two Games)

The four quarter-final winners shall play against each other in the Semi-Final based on a draw, subject to the avoidance of repeat pairings from the championship, where possible."

We'd still be potentially looking at ~4-6% chance of drawing Kerry in a QFs (assuming both sides win all other games up until then, though those odds could drop depending on what other previous meetings might also be subject to avoidance) but much lower than the ~32% or more we'd have for any other side in the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Solid win on the scoreboard for them but didn't show a lot of what happened on the pitch.

48% conversion on the day from locations with an expected 68% and hit 14 points on the back of an expected 20 (against their 20 from an expected 17).

It wasn't the blanket that beat us. Just a few too many rusty lads having a bad game (including the likes of Robbie and Swanee [who drove on to have a fantastic game against Kerry] who are absolute legends not just younger or less experienced lads) when motivation was lacking and a huge overhaul of the team that had been playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Wasn’t there something like 10 changes for the Monaghan game from the team that played Donegal the previous game, as well as it being of no consequence to us as we had already qualified for the League Final?.

• Advertisement
Advertisement