Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Succession [HBO] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think there's anything wrong with obvious, so long as it's done right. I think the surprise may be what Kendall sacrifices in order to end up on top. How badly he screws over the rest of his family in order to get control, how closely he begins to become like Logan, does the cycle begin again or maybe he manages to end up on top but also break the cycle of abuse and do things a different way from Logan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry but that all played out well before 9/11 and Gore conceded defeat in December 2000.

Either way point still stands that there is history of Networks calling state results early as happened in 2000 and more recently with Fox in 2020 with Arizona

That episode is a complete stand out in a season of stand out episodes.

Every episode this season has been exceptional.

Not a moment of screen time or dialogue is wasted or indulgent.

So much in this episode that I think i need to watch it again to pick up all the subtleties.

I think Matsson is going to shaft Shiv and the American CEO will be TOM but just never know.

Also fun fact. Sally-Ann, Logan's ex mistress was played by Bran Cox's actual wife Nicole Ansari-Cox. Thought that was funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Would Matsson install Greg as a puppet CEO? An American CEO for show only that ticks the boxes.

Tom would then be 'gregging' for Greg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

If Greg ends up CEO it would ruin the show tbh. Its entirely unbelievable. Tom or Ken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

What about Jerry? She wasn't on the kill list, and would be only too happy to stick it to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

With only one episode left, I wonder will they answer all or most of the questions...Who will own Waystar in the end, what happens to Greg, what happens to Shiv...does she become a good mother? Does Roman lose it altogether? What happens to Tom? Do Frank, Karl, Hugo, Gerry stay with Kendall?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

Lads and lassies, ive just finished episode 3 season 1 and i'll be honest im gobsmacked at how bad this show is. I read some reviews and starting watching off a recommendation from a work friend who loves it but i just find all the characters insufferable. Is it worth my time putting more mileage into this or is this just not for me if im disliking it this much after a short time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Stick with it. They are all insufferable but the more you watch the reasons why become clear. If they were all nice guys the show wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

They are meant to be insufferable. It's a comedy and is a parody of a corporate media behemoth. It's the dialogue for me. Razor sharp.

Yes, I hate all the characters too. I'm hoping it ends by them all being in the private jet, bitching away so much mid flight at each other that they forgot to re-fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Exactly, you're supposed to think they're all detestable. But every now and again you feel a bit sorry for them. Then they go back to being detestable again.

Oh the majority of characters are all insufferable c*nts for the most part. They're somewhat based on the Murdoch family after all.

But it's such a sharply written show with terrific performances, and even the most dislikable characters have their moments of vulnerability and sympathy.

It takes a while to get going, as most HBO shows do where they really take their time to build up stories and characters properly, but I think give it until the end of the first season if you can and if you still want to tap out after that, that's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭cosatron

stick with it. it took me a year to watch the first series, my wife checked out after esp 3 and after that i watched series 2 and 3 over a weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ah, I was exactly where you are back when I watched Season 1. I was really not feeling it after the first few episodes, could not understand why the show was so highly praised - just didn't seem interesting to me and everyone in the show was so toxic that I wasn't sure if I wanted to stick around, but I dunno at what point it turned for me. Some episode around the midway point of the season, I got into a frame of mind of being slightly interested in how the following episode would end and then I got sucked in as the season was coming to its close and by the epic end of season one, I was convinced that, yes, this was the best show on TV.

From about episode 6/7 of season one it goes up a level and it stays there. I wouldn't bail out this early, trust me, it gets better and when it's at its best is equally on par with the greatest TV shows of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

Thanks for that. I'm going to give it until the end of season 1 and see if i feel likewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭rtron

I had exactly the same issue as you and stuck with it, it's about at episode 4-5 where the dad comes back from being sick the show takes off. I even had to go back and rewatch the earlier episodes as it took a while to get the humour of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Interesting to read all these posts about not liking the show in the beginning. From episode 1, I was captivated by how the obscene money and deference around the family had totally warped their sense of social and behavioural norms.

Agree, I don't get how people can see season 1 and say it wasn't that good. It had me from the start and then hooked me with the first board meeting where we got to see people in action particularly Logan.

After that it's just improved season after season and Season 4 is shaping up to be one of the best tv seasons ever.

Maybe for some, it's a style thing or they don't get all the lines as there's so much sharp dialog, even as people walk down corridors that it might (at the risk of sounding intellectually elitist/superior) just be too good for some.

I definitely know some people that would just not enjoy the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Navy blue

I was the same, watched maybe three episodes and gave up. Went back to it ages later after hearing so much hype and loved it. I think I was concentrating too much on trying to understand the business stuff at the beginning. Once I just gathered that they’re basically all trying to feck each other all the time and not worry about the finer details, I enjoyed it more 😂 It’s just a show that has gotten better and better and considering the finale of season 1, that’s saying something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah, realising that it's not really about the nitty-gritty of the business side of things is an important lesson. In fact I'd say most of the corporate talk and the actual exact details of what is clearly supposed to be happening "business wise" is largely incoherent and is secondary anyway. The show isn't really about how business works - but more about the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I, like others, stopped after 3 episodes or so then came back a year later to carry on. And then still, I only just liked season 1, that's a testament to how unlikeable all the characters are. I wasn't hooked until Season 2 when I started to become utterly enthralled with a character's progression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,809 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seems like the finale will have a longer running time - in the Sky Atlantic schedules it is in from 9pm to 1040.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A couple of episodes behind, just watched the Election one last night, and got a question.

What is the significance of ATN calling Menchen the winner? Surely it doesn't matter if you call someone a winner if the votes don't go for him?

Was the call made BEFORE all the votes are counted? I'm assuming yes, hence the decision to call it?

But if it works out that he is behind in votes, then it makes ATN look bad for calling it wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The US election system is a bit like the saying “possession is nine tenths of the law”.

Just by having one major network call him the President elect, it means his claim to the presidency is instantly stronger than anyone else’s and even if the votes turn out for the opposition, they’ll have to drag it through the courts for months.

The system is extremely corrupt and too heavily influenced by the media. There are many nuances that I wouldn’t be able to explain, someone else here would surely be able to explain it better than I could.

Because there was an election polling centre attacked and votes lost (one in a place where the vote was likely to be tight), ATN calling it for Mencken allowed him to claim that he won, because it could be weeks, if not months, before a definitive result could be found, if ever.

It makes him the presumptive winner and claim victory, and puts all the pressure on the Democrat to challenge the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So the finale drops later this evening (US time)... anyone staying up tonight?

If I wasn't working in the morning I'd be tempted, but I might just watch it before I log in for work as trying to avoid Youtube, Google news, and spoilers in general will probably be impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Don't like that Menchen character. Seems arrogant and obnoxious. He had no sympathy for Romans attempt at a eulogy. Called him the grim reaper. A bit harsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,809 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It would be a red flag if you did like him!

Justin Kirk, v good actor, also pops up in HBO series Perry Mason showing on Sky Atlantic at the moment.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Stuck the landing. Terrific finale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

utterly brilliant and had to end like that , i'll be the smug pr!ck and say i knew it would be tom from since season 3

Well I was convinced Ken had it after the last couple of episodes but nope, gets fucked in a vote again.

The final shot of him from behind, looking out to the seas was so perfect. He almost looked child like from behind.

The siblings all really showed themselves at their worst here.

Shiv flip flopping til the very last, and true to form still looked utterly miserable in the car with Tom.

Roman cracking at the slightest thing and talking out of shop with a terrible comment about Kendall's children.

Kendall letting the mask slip to show what's truly going on behind his dead eyes.

All this after their little coronation party. Lol. Terrible people.

What a brilliant finale....was laughing and screaming at the TV as well as a few tears while the kids were watching their Dad singing on the telly with Karl. Happy for Tom....Shiv is a total witch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The three kids were all useless in the end but Kendall is the biggest baby. I enjoyed the ending though could have watched another season. I was still interested in where the characters would go after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

She ends up with a man that betrayed her twice and he has most of the power in the relationship now (though she does have some leverage with the baby). They did look miserable at the end, her and Tom. I think she made the right decision in the end and Roman was supporting her seeing how mad Kendall really is.

"in a way"

I think she ultimately lost more than she won. I think she banjaxed the deal after seeing Kendall in the chair and how he spoke with Stewie, and she realised Kendall was never right for the job. None of them were. I don't think she was trying to screw over Kendall or anything (at least not until he had his little meltdown), I think part of her voting against Kendall was as much to protect him and try to stop the cycle of Logan, for all their sakes. Even though Kendall now has nothing (well, bar a metric f*cktonne of money), being CEO would have been the worst thing for him. He just wasn't suited to it. He could never be Logan. Like Logan saiid to all of them, "You're not serious people"

That said, she's now ended up more like her mother than her father, being the wife and mother for the CEO rather than being in power herself. I see her vote as being more sacrificial than strategical. I doubt she'd fully end up like her mother and would probably try to carve out something herself in the future (maybe back into the political game). Even though Tom won, he's not Logan either. He's a Yes-man for Matsson. He'll need Shiv's help more than Logan needed any of his wives.

well after tom reveals he's the guy she knows that's the horse to back rather then kendall and tom also bets he can turn her after the phone conversation she has with him after asking about their feeling earlier in the episode

Mathsen will think he can control both

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Advertisement

tom holding out the hand and looking away knowing she would grab it but yet neither grip tightly was such a great scene

Did I hear right that Conor is moving to Slovenia while Willa stays in the US?

That would possibly be the plan if Mencken becomes President. Connor would get some sort of Ambassador role as a reward for backing Mencken in his concession speech so would move there, while Willa stays in the US in Logan's old apartment so she can work on her next play while sitting on a lovely cow-print couch.

That's why Shiv pointed out that the result is still being challenged and Mencken might not be President, which would mean Connor wouldn't be moving.

I also love how although some were theorising that Greg could end up on top (and I can see why even though I really hoped he wouldn't), Tom putting the sticker on Greg's forehead has put Greg possibly even lower than he was in Season 1; he's nothing more than a piece of furniture now to Tom like the guy Tom used as a footstool. As much satisfaction and catharsis as there was when Greg finally slapped Tom back in the bathroom, Greg was always a slimy f*ck.

Tom might not treat him quite so overtly badly as I think ultimately he does like having Greg around in many ways, but Greg is now completely beholden to Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Perfect way for the show to end.

Unlikable people don’t get their way. Feels nice.

The fact that Kendall denied being involved in the death of the waiter just to get his own way, proves that he doesn't deserve it.

• Advertisement

Even Tom didnt win. He's CEO but in name only, and Mathsen really ran him down in that convo when he spoke about Shiv. He didnt answer back at all so it showed that he will basically do what he is told.

Amazing show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The only one I truly felt who “won” was Roman. He never really wanted to be CEO, he finally confirmed it in the meeting room with Kendall. He’s finally free of the family drama and now he’s even more disgustingly rich on top of it all. Hard to know what he’d end up doing next but he finally has some bit of freedom.

Also very interesting that the closing shot of him is a little smile while drinking Gerri’s favourite, a dirty martini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I think Tom did win. I don't think he was ever interested in pure power, just the status and trappings that come from that kind of position.

Even if Matsson humiliated him regarding Shiv, Tom got the upper hand on Shiv at the end and that probably suits him given their twisted, grim relationship.

Yes, I think Tom certainly thinks he has won and that he is now ranked above Shiv so to speak. He is not just known as the husband of Shiv Roy anymore. I think that's why he put his hand out for her to hold to let her know he is now on top.

Tom will end up in an early grave if he keeps up the pace he's going at, and he looked as thrilled as Shiv did in the car.

I wouldn't say he won but got the best possible result for the game he's playing. I doubt it's a game with legs though, as Tom will essentially play the same role for Lukas as he did with Logan i. e. the first patsy within eyesight when **** hits the fan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement