Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hbomax Caribbean and Latin America

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Do you need a US credit card to create a US account or is it enough to VPN in when registering and use a 90210 fake addess?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭baz9375

Not too sure with Max but couldn’t get HBO max USA with any Irish,UK, N26 or Revolut cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭ThePott

So has anyone with a Max account based outside of America been able to sign in on a Firestick with a VPN?

Wondering if it will only let me in if I have a US based account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I can at least confirm that as of right now it is working as part of a Max Family on Apple TV with Getflix DNS.

When I have a little more time I will test it on other devices with Surfshark and VPN Unlimited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

I got my subscription through Google Play in Brazil. I can't log in now in the new Max app and when I try the forgot my password link I don't get an email. Anyone else have this problem? I really want to get this sorted for the Succession finale on Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭micks_address

Max is only rolled out in the US so you need a US subscription to use it - go back to the hbo max app and login to that.. and you should be good to go.. i had same issue with costa rica.. if i set location to US using vpn and then tried hbo max app got unsupported region.. switching location back to costa rica worked.. content is different on Max. for example lot of 4k stuff there versus hbo max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,241 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I have the issue that my app has automatically updated to Max.

I removed it, reinstalled an old version of HBO Max but when I installed, it was Max again.

Anyoneable to get around this? Maybe I need a "foreign" vrsion of the app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

Install Aptoide and install the HBO Max version they have. It works on the Fire Stick and won't update. Make sure to use a VPN to any HBO Max country other than the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,241 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Thanks for that.

Got the correct app and it's opening as HBO Max........ but doesn't seem to be working with Getflix at the moment? I mean I usually don't need a VPN alongside Getflix. Maybe i'm doing something wrong?

I'll have a mess around with a few options

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭baz9375

Geflix is defaulted to route to US so HBO Max app won't work now through Getflix. If you use VPN to any other country it's available in (eg. Netherlands) the HBO Max app should still work with your Latin American login.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Simple explainer for now:

Max is the new service, replacing hbo max. It is only available (for now) in America. If you have a hbo max account via south america/etc as per the original bargain, then you cannot log into max. If you have an American account for some reason then you must log into max.

If you use a vpn to access hbo max, then you must use a country other than America. People have reported Brazil as working fine. If you use a vpn to access the new max, then you must use America.

If you use getflix or smartdnsproxy to access hbo max, you can't use it for now, as it will default your access to America. You will have to sort a vpn.

If you use getflix or smartdnsproxy to access max, then it should keep working as it defaults to America.

Hope this helps.

I'm aware of the changes to Max depending on region but I have my firestick set to a US account, so guessing all I could do is download an APK for HBO Max for my Argentinian sub or bite the bullet and sign up for a US account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Can anyone recommend a free or cheap VPN that will work for HBOMAX? I have used Getflix for years without issue but obviously it won't work for the immediate future.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭samboy08

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

I've used purevpn and smartdnsproxy vpn for Brazil and still can't login on android.

If I try logging from with vpn from USA I get password wrong, which is what I expect judging by responses here.

However when I try with vpn and Brazil, I don't get an error message but it doesn't go by the username and password login screen, stays on it without any type of progress or error message.

Clicked to change password and no change password emails were sent to me either

I'm getting "can't load servers on getflix vpn

Something I've discovered using Brazilian vpn: subtitles are only available in Spanish and Portuguese. Which is weird.

Just to confirm Getflix VPN isn't working for me for HBOMAX when connected. I have downloaded the Max app & I can pay for a month and use Getflix DNS. I'm reluctant to do this because I have 11 months left on my HBOMAX subscription. VPNs all seem to be over €10 per month unless taking a year or two at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭savemejebus

What countries did you try for the VPN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭samboy08

Get vpn deals through cashback, they are always doing like 90% cashback on either surfshark or nordvpn so just get the 2 year deals at 90% cashback. Warning must be new customer only but just keep creating new email addresses and use disposable revolut card and then they won't be able to tell if you're a returning customer or not.

I bit the bullet & got 24 month Sharksurf for around €70. HboMax is up & running again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Get it through a Cashback site, I got 2 years and net cost was a fiver

Dooh! 😔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Still not getting this working again, hbo max and chromecast tv wants me to update to newer version and then just tells me there is no newer version and that device is no longer supported.

When on my android phone, says password is wrong and won't let me reset it

Signed up under Brazil bit tried other southern American countries and others like Netherlands a nd Spain etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Thanks the above worked perfectly for HBO Max on my firestick using VPN for Brazil

Legend! This worked for me too.

Anyone have any insight is there any major difference between what regions you use?

If you change it to US does it try update you to Max or just not work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

Portugal seems decent enough.

Your Honor, City on a Hill, Yellowjackets, Billions, and Babylon Berlin are all on it amongst all the HBO stuff.

Advertisement