Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5 likes and 5 dislikes about your current EV/EVs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Car: Nissan Leaf 40 182

Great to drive - Adaptive Cruise Control, one pedal driving, parking sensors and rear camera

Lower running costs and efficiency, usually get 14-15kWh/100km, 12 in the summer, 18-20 in the winter

Cheap - About 5k less than the equivalent ICE at the time when purchased

Nice shape

€45 servicing

Dislikes:

Lack of Chademo support at certain stations means usually long queuing and no working charger at Birdhill.

Would prefer heated seats and steering wheel over AC/Heat functions

Some simple software features could do with updating like being able to use the cameras as dashcams and not having to press "OK" on the touch screen every time I start the car, Maps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Is the Model Y your next car do you think, considering some of the negatives you've experienced with the Model 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Possibly yeah but I don't like the look of it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

It's funny. I never looked at a Tesla until the Model Y came out. It's a giant. So much car for that money. I get that a lot of people don't like the look of it. The bulbous SUV is very much a chalk-or-cheese thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭VikingG

You can "reboot" the audio system - just hold down the physical button under the screen for about 20 seconds - you will see a "screen cleaning" message pop up, keep holding it until you see the volvo logo appear. See if that fixes your issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭MarkN

The Q8 is most definitely not more efficient. Saw it closer to 30kWh/100kms most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭quokula

ID3 1st Plus Edition

Drives really well - responsive throttle, smooth progression, well balanced steering, just a really pleasant driving experience

Bright, airy, comfortable and quiet cabin

Effectively infinite range for my usage

Not too big, easy to manoeuvre around car parks and the like

Great headlights with really good visibility

Dislikes:

Slow and unresponsive infotainment system

A bit harsh over speed bumps

Crap touch sensitive buttons on steering wheel that I accidentally press all the time

No physical controls for important functions like AC

The keyless entry thing is a bit finicky, taking multiple attempts to unlock the door sometimes, and randomly unlocking itself as I walk away other times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Reported today that average price paid for a new EV over past year has been a staggering €64,700! Must be loads of cash to splash in the Irish economy

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Bovakinn

2022 Model 3 RWD

1: Performance. Coming from your average ICE car, it's a rocket.

2: Range. Can get ~400km out of it on a good day, generally more than I need so that I don't rely on public chargers much.

3: Technology. UI is responsive, well laid out, and easy to use. Autopilot is a game changer for long motorway drives.

4: Glass Roof. Makes the cabin feel open and Airy

5: App. Being able to heat/cool the car remotely and also dog mode.

Dislikes:

1: The boot. I would have preferred an opening like what's on the Model S.

2: People assume I'm a Musk fanboy.

3: The lectures I've gotten about fires, EVs being worse for the environment, and the battery dying after 3 years, although that's not specific to my car, it would have been the same for any EV.

4: The price drops. I could have gotten a performance in white now for more or less what I paid in March 2022.

5: Auto wipers. They're really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Thats 1 MG at 32k and 1 Mercedes EQE at 96k, average is 64k.

Or my cupra born at 42k and my fathers etron at 85k, similar average but the etron is twice the price of the born.

More sold at the lower end of the scale so median sales price wouldnt be 64k.

Probably pre grant prices being used too.

Would be, at a guess, somewhere in high 40s or low to mid 50s though, ID4 kind of price, which is still high and definitely not for the majority of the population.

They have just added up the price of every EV for sale and divided by number of models for sale

Includes plenty of machines well over 100k too

Model 3 LR MIC:

Like: Performance and range, handling, SuC network and charging speed, user interface, quality of the construction (especially the bodywork and paint)

Dislike: Harsh suspension at low speeds, road noise, quality of some of the interior like carpets, not a liftback.

Nissan LEAF 30 kWh Tekna:

Like: Front seats, reliabliity, quietness, affordable to buy, pleasant to drive in urban environment

Dislike: Battery degradation, steering feel, CHAdeMO, Type 1 charging port (need to use an adaptor at home), navigation

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Seurat

2023 Hyundai Ioniq 77kWh

1: Range. Haven't once panicked about would I get to my destination. I was worried before I got the car. Have done plenty of all day trips but no 400/500km days yet

2: Interior. Much more pleasing than most other EVs (and ICE cars) on the market imo

3: Exterior. Only the EV6 matches it for looks but the height of roof makes it a no go for me

4: Very nice comfortable drive. Quite a relaxing experience

Dislikes:

1: Very hard to turn in a tight car park

2: Only one USB port for carplay means I can't have carplay and listen to music off a usb stick at the same time

3: The aircon. I have yet to own a car which has aircon that is manageable for Irish weather, warm or cool. This car is worse than average tho. I'm also fussy about this

4: Infotainment can be slow some days to start up, super quick other days

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Admldj

2019 Jaguar I-Pace S

1: Speed! It accelerates faster than any car I've ever driven, its ridiculously fun pulling you back in your seat as you overtake.

2: Handling, it handles as a Jaguar should, smooth as silk when cruising (thank you air suspension)and incredibly poised and tight when you need to fling it into a corner.

3: Looks, its a gorgeous car from any angle, always puts a smile on my face as I approach it and definitely turns heads, especially after a fresh wax.

4: Quality, everything feels very premium, everything is solid, no squeaks from anything and everything just works as it should.

5: Physical buttons for all the important stuff, I've no interest in the one big screen that does everything, physical buttons and knobs for climate/audio that don't require working through menus are definitely a plus.

Dislikes:

1: Range could be better for a 90kw battery, I've never gotten more than 380km on a full charge and went as low as 280km during the last cold snap

2: Charging speed isn't as good as it should be max 7kw AC and 100Kw DC in a car that was 85K new isnt great, its not a major issue as I've only publi charged about 10 times in the last year but still, bugs me.

3: Jaguar app is pretty poor, can only do basic functions with it and really should be able to use it as a backup key if stuck

4: Infotainment can be a bit laggy sometimes, apparently the pivi pro on the 2020 onwards is a massive improvement on my one

5: Google maps won't display on the binacle screen, only jaguar maps, this is the main reason I don't bother with android auto, I've gotten used to not having to turn my head for maps (first world problem!)

Overall, extremely happy with this car after almost a year of ownership and over 35,000klm put on it, it really is a pleasure to drive and hard to actually come up with a worthy successor for it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Tried both and it made no difference. It seems to be a glitch - an Android Auto notification comes up when turning on the car, which reminds you to plug in the phone. After plugging in and leaving it, a ''Failed to Connect'' notification shows. By accident, I discovered a few months ago that plugging in the phone, then immediately unplugging (while AA is making the connection) and plugging it back in again, it successfully connects every time. Though I've never found out why it has the first issue.

Nobody, including myself, has said they like that their car is environmentally friendly yet. Even environmentally friendly locally, zero tailpipe emissions.

Or anything green as far as I know unless I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Seurat

Helping out the environment had absolutely nothing to do with me buying an EV. If it does help it out then good enough, if it doesn't then also good enough.

I think people like to preach a lot on forums and twitter/reddit but when push comes to shove they vote with their wallets for what really matters most to them. If that is the environment then good for them. If not, then also good for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Noticed that as well.. But many have mentioned efficiency, which I suppose means something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Tesla Model 3

Dislike:

• No carplay
    • Poor wireless charging pad
    • Rear seat headroom is low
    • Terrible trade in price (60% depreciation in 6 months!)

Like:

• Different user profiles for seating, driving setup, etc
    • Super easy to drive
    • Great key / keyless options (phone, wearables, etc)
    • Range
    • Acceleration
    • Great trade in price (9% depreciation in 2 years!)

• Advertisement

I think efficiency means cheap! Does to me anyway. Just an observation, initially I didnt think of the environment either, not really when buying the car either, my primary concern was the BIK benefits to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Efficiency also means more range on longer trips, less charging stops, or shorter charging stops.

I assumed it was implied! 😉

I actually bought the Leaf to be environmentally friendly. The Toyota was getting progressively more rattly so I needed a new car anyway and decided to take the plunge on an EV to save on the CO2 emissions

Haven't looked back since 😁

Arguably the environment may have been better by keep my wife's Citroen going instead of us trading it for a big heavy ID.4, but again it was at the end of its lifetime and needed replacing

Been charging the cars off solar as much as possible so I'm happy my cars are having as little environmental impact as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fafy

Charging pad charging speeds vary, but no charging pad on any car, comes remotely close to the much higher speed of cable charging, with a good quality charging lead, like Anker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Opel Corsa-E

Electric - quiet, automatic, great take off from lights even for a cheap EV

Heat Pump & Matrix LED Headlights

Hatchback - still tiny boot but with back seats down and front seat down I could fit 3 x 2.4 meter wardrobe doors inside....just!!

Heated Seats and Steering Wheel - my first time with this, my mum loves it when I give her a lift!!

Physical Buttons for everything - old school, no haptic in sight!!

Dislikes:

Range on long journeys - trade off with the great price I got in 2020 just prior to second lockdown, top trim at bottom trim price, was a demo model for a few months

Lots of recalls, latest is an ECU vs Heat Pump recall, all fixed for free as within 3 year warranty still

No Spare tyre- got flat, tried repair with can of gunk failed, Aviva gave me and car lift from Newbridge to Dublin, recovery guy said they are best regarding no quibble, others only bring you to nearest garage. I ended up buying a half spare type and keep that in the tiny boot now as insurance.

SatNav, Android Auto, Entertainment Console - very typical of legacy automaker, I use a USB for music, gave up on android auto, use google etc for SatNav with phone holder. Bypass it for 90% of things except radio!

Future of Stellantis if I keep it

The lack of a spare tyre in modern cars baffles me. Like what's the point? If you get a flat tyre you're essentially f****d.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

MG 5 LR

Price. Paid 33,000 for it in Jan 2022. 46,000k later and no issues. ...That's nearly half what is now being said to be the average EV price being paid! (and I test-drove all the ones that were 10-grand more, but prefer this one either way)

It blends in. OK, I got a red one, but it looks like a "normal car", not a car trying to stand out like a space-ship.

Quite roomy for an EV. Boot is "big enough" and sitting in the back, the only giveaway you are in an EV is the lack of bump down the middle.

Android Auto/ Apple Carplay. I use AA and added a wireless adaptor to not have to plug it in. I like the options this gives, not being tied to manufacturer firmware updates.

Suspension. Built for the Chinese market, so it's done differently - small wheels and big suspension. I believe the newer model is being rebuilt to a European-spec, but I like the bounce in mine.

Dislikes

Small wheels. See above. It's not a problem for me, but a friend says he'd never get one because the wheels are too small (17" I think?). I don't understand that myself, but hey, others do I guess.

No single-pedal driving. At KERS level 3, taking your foot off the accelerator does not bring the car to a stop in most cases. You still need to use the brake, if you were going fast.

Drive mode not remembered. It always starts in KERS 2/ Normal. This means, the brake regen is medium level and drive mode is not Eco or Super by default - I'd prefer if it stuck to whatever was last selected, but it's no biggie.

(I'm struggling already here...) Fiddly infotainment system. It's not a problem if I stick to Android Auto, as I normally do, but if I want to listen to FM radio, I have to make around 3 touchscreen selections. Post 2022 infotainment has been revamped, I believe.

"Boring". ...I mean, if you want razzmatazz in your vehicle (at this price-level), check out the MG 4 or the other one, but I prefer the estate-look of the MG5.

Service price! ...Not exactly a fault with the car, but my 1-year service cost €170 from the dealer. For what!?? It's a scam, but if I'm to keep the 7 year warranty, I believe I'm stuck with it! (?)

Think this was covered in another thread but it's basically cost savings. It's cheaper to subcontract a recovery service and supply a repair kit or install puncture proof tyres

Besides, with the beast tyres on the likes of an ID.4, where would you keep a spare? Even a space saver would use up a massive chunk of boot space

I'll be investing in one of those tyre plug kits, the general consensus is they seem to be more reliable than the gunk spray and the tyre can generally be repaired properly afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Dubwat

MG5 LR (taxi)

- Front seat like an armchair. "Weight" of steering wheel just right. Very comfortable driving.

- 16" wheels so not super expensive to replace

- Screen embedded in dash so can't be ripped out by taxi passengers.

- I still randomly accelerate hard just for the fun of it

- Charging port is hidden behind MG badge at front of car. Nice & tidy.

Dislikes:

Like a lot of EV's, the software needs work.

- Android Auto is the work of the devil (yes, I have a good cable)

- Software is generally slow

- Built-in sat-nav is pointless

Car won't remember a lot of my perferences so each car start is like starting an airplane. Eco mode ON, check. KERS 3 ON, check. Speed limit sign detector OFF, check. Disable Android Auto, check. Tune into radio screen, check.

IMHO car has design flaw in that rain water seems to be channeled into open window, even after rain stops. I'm not explaining it very well but I've never experienced anything like it in any other car. 

My MG5 is a working vehicle and I worry about how much, if any, stock the official garages keep in stock. And the MG5 is not old enough so that there are spare parts available in breakers yards etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

2020 M3 Performance

1. Acceleration. Insanely quick. Overtaking almost anything, anywhere at any time is a doddle. The look on first time passengers when you give it the beans 😂.

2. SuC network. Just works brilliantly.

3. Infotainment system. Netflix, Spotify, YouTube on a crystal clear screen.

4. So easy to drive (but I'll also say that all electric vehicles are the same). One pedal driving is effortless.

5. Surprisingly roomy. Swallows suitcases, bags etc for holidays.

Dislikes

1. Spotify messes around on occasions. Think it's because I'm linked with my phone account and that is an issue.

2. Ride can be a bit harsh but again on low profile 20 inch tyres that can be expected.

3. No option to turn off autowipers on autopilot.

4. As above....wipers aren't great full stop.

5. If you put on the windscreen washers with the window down it comes inside the car.

It's our first electric car and I love it. Finding my wife driving it more and more than her own car (840d BMW). Also love the preheat/precool function from the app. Never had range anxiety once and I've driven it everywhere from the Dingle peninsula to the north coast of Antrim and everywhere in between.

Advertisement