Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madeleine McCann

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Indeed. I don’t think certain people contributing to this thread were adults at the time of this disappearance 16 years ago but it wasn’t unheard of what the McCann’s did in terms of their dinner arrangements and leave the kids in the apartment. It wasn’t like they left their compound- ones guard often goes down when on holiday.

I know post this incident, it would certainly be well criticised if a parent did that but up to then, people were mainly worried about theft of money and valuables, not children.

Call it right call it wrong- at this stage it doesn’t matter and I’m aghast that 16 years on people are still harping on about this aspect of the case. It happened - deal with it guys- the McCanns certainly are every day of their lives - lessons have been learned by most since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

i dont things have changed that much, its not like it was the 80s 🤣

the real issue is that people think they did it, they have something to hide

I remember not really listening to the details of the case at the time as it was a bizzare circus, but after like 10 years or whatever they had a doco on UK tv and I remember looking at where they had the dinner and sat and where the apts were and how many times they checked on the kids and its just normal, they were good parents really. And to be this judged

like madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭tinytobe

According to German media the search at the reservoir has ended. Whether something of interest was found or not has not been mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

When all this first happened, a group of us were talking about the circumstances of her disappearance. We all had children in that age group. I'd say 70/30 split on whether the parents held any blame. Of those who thought it was okay to leave Maddie alone I asked a simple question...if you were minding my child, would you leave her alone in the manner the McCanns left Maddie? The answer.. No, I wouldn't. Why...I'd be afraid something would happen to her in my care. Is your own child not as important? I'm still waiting on an answer to that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What is done is done and what an awful tragedy.

But I always thought would they not have piled all the kids into one apartment to sleep and then every night one person/parent out of the whole group, skip dinner, and sit with the children. And then the parents after dinner, carry the sleeping child(s) back to their own apartment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

That's a normal enough way of thinking. Your own kid getting a bump on the head or skinning their knee while you have them is a bit different to it happening to someone else's kid when you're looking after them.

Parents have always taken risks- from not tying the seatbelt because it’s “only down the road” to what the McCanns did to whatever else. The thing is, and there’s millions in Ireland and the UK who are “guilty” of similar acts or mistakes or negligence, call it what you will - the only difference is- NOTHING HAPPENED. Thats the ONLY difference- but for the grace of god go they- of course the parents didn’t give a reply- they were likely “guilty” of similar behaviour the McCanns were.

While times have likely changed for the better, going on holidays is an immediate trigger to relax and let the guard down - I’ve no doubt this sort of thing of leaving all the kids in the room whilst the parents are downstairs still happens and I’ve also no doubt we’ll see Maddie part 2 at some stage in the future. But thankfully, there are likely many parents who have their kids safe right now, simply because they refrained from such behaviour whilst on holidays due to the experience of the McCanns. They continue to suffer whilst others don’t have to.

Look at the map of the resort, they weren't simply downstairs or 50m away. You have to leave the resort and walk back up a public road to get back to the apartment which also faces an even busier public road.

Portugal, more so than certain other sun holiday countries such as Spain was certainly considered a “safe” country at that time from a family friendly perspective - and the resort would also have been considered “safe” from a Holliday makers perspective. I mean, if this incident never happened, the fact that we all let our guard down and relax a bit whilst on holidays, there would be many more parents doing what they did right now, in certain resorts. They didn’t go into town or leave the property- they stayed in the hotel and ate whilst the children slept upstairs- it’s probably stupid now to even think of doing that and indeed even 16 years ago many would have agreed it was stupid then, but it wasn’t uncommon and I can understand how and why it might have occurred, especially in a group family/friends setting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

70/30 split because the public had no-one to blame apart from the parents. The abductor has never been caught (yet). Contrast this to Denise Bulger. She turned away from James and let go of his hand. Failure to exercise duty of care? I think the tabloids would have insinuated it was had James simply disappeared, and it would have been a much larger talking point with the public. Small mercy that he was found and his killers brought to justice. When a high profile disappearance of a child occurs like this, the public are crying out for someone to pillory, and they'll look for other targets if the actual perpetrator isn't found.

Anyone who thinks the McCanns were criminally negligent, they're welcome to write to the UK DPP, if they like. Their waste paper bin may not yet be full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think the opposite - I would be more cautious on hols in an unknown country. I think the majority of people would be more guarded with children when away. It was never safe to leave kids alone - I'm in my 40s and if my parents were going out on hols we always went along with them. I never witnessed parents going out drinking or eating while leaving their kids alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I see it the same as driving drunk, - there is no excuse for that, same as in this case.

I honestly do believe strongly that the McCanns are to a strong degree legally guilty of negligence. Their acting made the disappearance happen. Whether they are grieving for their loss, that is frankly not my problem. Let them grief, it was their negligence to begin with and they should have known better. They should also have faced legal consequences for their negligence.

However I am more interested about the case and the investigation. Brueckner, if he's the one, must be a real nutcase. Apparently he raped an over 70 year old? And who knows what he did to Madeleine? We don't even want to speculate.

I'd be interested when the police would release new information on the case. I am also interested how they connected Brueckner to the case or how they came to the understanding that Madeleine was indeed dead. So far it's only speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭juno10353

This group of educated friends, with children, were not in a hotel, but rather in a sprawling apartment complex, with direct access to main road. Where they all are eating was blocked from view of many of the apartments.

This was not a once off event that ended tragically, but a nightly event. As doctors they would be aware of the quick onset of illness amongst kiddies on holidays, earache from planes and pools, tummyache and vomiting from different foods, amongst other things, and the likelihood of kiddies awakening in strange beds. They already had Maddie asking why they had not come the previous night when she awoke and called for them.

How these group of parents behaved was scandalous. I wonder how the all justify it now to their grown children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Probably around 50m as the crow flies.

I dont think its normal to leave small babies on their own though. Ever.

But i wouldnt be crucifying the McCanns either. They'll be doing that themselves.

The other children among that holiday group must realise now that it could have been any one of them. All their parents were negligent. What a thought

It may “never have been safe to leave kids alone” as you say- but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen- and the 70s and 80s would have been significant decades where this happened regularly - you might have been sheltered in the 80s by your parents but it certainly wasn’t “the vast majority” that took that approach and I’m talking all income levels and educational levels here

@Gusser09

I dont think its normal to leave small babies on their own though. Ever.

Parents all over the world do it every night when they go to sleep.

Oh spare us please- you’re 16 years too late with your “outrage” - if you feel so passionately about it, phone 999

• What happened was an absolute tragedy and nobody deserves that, no matter what. But it is ridiculous to say that the McCanns & others like them did “what every normal person would do”, leave your children out of sight in an unfamiliar place, in an unlocked premises. The McCanns are a high earning family, if they wanted a good social life on their holiday they could have brought along their own au pair / childminder, who could have got a couple of nights off to enjoy herself too. They could have hired a nice villa between themselves and their friends, maybe even share a childminder or two. My own parents would never let me out of their sight at that age, they made huge sacrifices to keep me safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Advertisement

I didn’t see anyone saying it was “normal” - I did see many say it was “common”

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• I mean the implication seemed to be that it is somehow acceptable. Water sadly under the bridge for the McCanns, hope they get answers asap, they deserve that.

I haven’t seen anyone here saying “it’s acceptable” - it happened, it still unfortunately happens I’m sure, albeit in a much reduced way, but from the posts I’ve read here, I haven’t seen anyone saying “it’s acceptable”

I think you’re creating an “argument” where none exists!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yep.

The story about the upside down playpen with books on top as JDD said rings bells for me, not personally, but know from talking about this.

I think our generation are more cautious because we are more aware of the dangers.

To be honest this group is relatively recent , really Oscar, and all should have known better. Esp the McCanns who would have seen every accident possible in their daily lives.

I think it was holiday /group think and they parked their reason and quelled any little inside voice that may have interrupted the fun.

I am sure they regret it every day since, and will never forgive themselves.

Having said that have come across more since re the father, and he is more than a bit of an arrogant gobshxxe!

Post edited by Goldengirl on

thats 50meters, they are basically in the pool by the complex where they were staying, you are basically looking at the apt from the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Begs the question how they missed their child being abducted if this was the case.

I can't remember whether they were ever under investigation for child abandonment or similar charges in either jurisdiction. But I always thought they should have been. I would have given them the benefit of the doubt regarding causing Maddie's death, but their actions leading up to the abduction were at best, selfishly, fecklessly, irresponsible.

I have enormous sympathy for that little girl and her siblings. Can't imagine what she went through or what her brother and sister still go through.

Her parents. Not an ounce.

So your saying most people left kids alone in the 70s and 80s - I strongly disagree.

• Advertisement

They do. Between the time a child is an infant and an adolescent, there will be times when both the child and both parents are asleep, and nothing technically protecting the child from god-knows-what other than a crappy tumbler lock on the front door that isn't even an obstacle to anyone who actually wants to bypass it.

And we know that at least some parents leave their small babies alone for periods of time because in a small amount of very tragic cases, they come in to find the baby dead. So, where were they when the baby was dying?

can you see in the dark is suppose maybe you can

people break into houses with the occupants in them, how do they manage this

i think you sum up the wrong attitude in a nutshell

i suppose you think they did it themselves

Which means that the unlocked property was entirely out of view and therefore fair game to anyone who wanted access to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

More people left kids alone in the 70s and 80s, certainly in Dublin.

I mean what's the difference between leaving a kid to sleep in a room a distance away from the parents or letting 6,7 and 8 year old kids go off and play wherever they pleased for 4 and 5 hours at a time, only being missed if they themselves missed a meal.

I know there is a perceived difference, but for all practical purposes, there isn't.

How many of us went to caravan parks when we were kids and the parents might leave 5 or 6 of us together while they went for a pint at the end of a long hot day?

It only became the wrong thing to do when someone got hurt or something was damaged.

@Larbre34

More people left kids alone in the 70s and 80s, certainly in Dublin.

Why is this even a discussion??? Who the hell's pretending like kids weren't allowed to go off with their friends in the locality and do their own thing with little to no supervision right up until recently, and even now I still see young kids hanging around with their friends, doing things outside with no parents in sight. It didn't just happen in the 70s, 80s and 90s. It was the rule. I can remember myself doing it, my friends doing it, my older brothers doing it and their friends doing it. Everyone did it. The warping of reality to support a ridiculous argument like parents have never let kids out of their sight is hilarious and sad at the same time. Parents have played waaay faster and looser with their kids in the past.

The only difference is today, 2023, there’s a hell of a lot more hindsight. A lot of ways of rearing children in the past are no longer acceptable today - some ways weren’t necessarily “acceptable” by many back then, but were common, or at least weren’t uncommon.

This post-event hatred 16 years on toward the McCanns about their childcare arrangements on this thread right now has been talked to death- what’s done is done. The only positive aspect of the “outrage” so many years later, is that it hopefully means current or future parents have got the message that leaving kids alone in a foreign apartment whilst eating downstairs probably isn’t the cleverest method of parenting

But I’ve no doubt some of the “holier than thou” posters who are “outraged” will likely do similarly stupid things when they have kids - hopefully the roll of the fate dice will be kind to their kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

From a media report:

German prosecutor Christian Wolters added: "Of course there is a certain expectation, but it is not high."

He said it was important to show that authorities were investigating the case.

I find the last line weird… a lot of time, expense and effort just to provide a sense of theatre that there is an active investigation ongoing ?

if it was a camcorder or gun that they were endeavouring to recover…… after all these years, any camcorder would be in absolute bits …. Sediment, salt, sand, stone, and water will literally have destroyed it…and any software contained in it.

maybe the British government leant on the authorities there and a government individual at senior level. has relented and said to the cops “ ok, go ahead, look here again ”….

its so genuinely weird… despite the lack of apparent evidence the money, the effort that’s been splurged on the case yet others get a fraction of the time, money and effort….. whole thing is bizarre. 13 million so far…

the search has concluded according to reports…

or was in view lit by street lights, they could see it, with multiple parents checking on a regular basis, no one is going to be watching every second obviously

they left it unlocked so the parents could check

this person abducted a child and has disappeared it for nearly 20 years, it was planned

anyway what does this matter to a woke man like yourself

• Advertisement

Certainly not the norm in my world. Maybe it was acceptable in certain areas or backgrounds though.

I find it hard to accept though that it was ok to leave babies alone - the McCann children were babies not 8 yr olds. The McCann's were also educated doctors - they should have known better than to leave children alone.

Oh Thank Christ- only for ya, Labre34 and a few others, I’d be losing the will to live here.

There really isn’t any understanding here on this thread as to how kids were raised pre 1990s.

At the age of 9 I came home to an empty house around 2pm, and for the next few hours until my mother came home, heated up my dinner using a gas oven, did my homework listened to pirate radio stations and phoned (yes we had a phone) my friends for a chat😀

Good times !

people hate the doctor angle

do you still hang on to yer mammys apron strings?

people left babies sleep alone, they still do

I didn't think they did it. Which is why I said I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Is my wrong attitude worse than their parenting skills??? Bloody hardly.

my friends were out doing farmwork unsupervised at 9 at least, probably earlier

Or you just keep creating potential scenarios to mitigate the parents’ failure to supervise and protect their children until something sticks.

They have been playing the victim card for 16 years, surely the topic can be discussed without having to consider their “feelings” at this stage.

No you're not because you can't see the back of the apartment from the bar and you also can't see the door or window at the front of the apartment which is the side the kid's bedroom was on.

The apartment is a lot more than 50 meters away and an even longer walk to get from the bar back to apartment.

They went out night after night leaving the kids on their own in the apartment. There was an incident the night before where Madeleine was looking for them and they weren't there, she even asked them why they didn't come when she was calling for them. Someone in a neighbouring apartment said she had been crying for some time the night before.

Even after this, they continued to go out and leave the kids alone.

they are the also victims, not sure how else you see this

you always get the wrong end of the stick

its 50meters away, you can measure it if you want

its a minutes walk

no one is saying you should leave the kids alone, I never have, but they didn't abduct the child

do i lock doors etc at night

yes

why because of the likes of what happened to the mcanns

are they terrible parents, no

the fact the other parents were at it too, show it wasn't abnormal

do I walk kids the school yes

are parents who let kids walk to school bad

not really, but like philip Cairns ffs

is the guy a monster

yes, that whats the focus should be on

• Advertisement
Advertisement