Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching about Gender

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

He used the DeVos institute earlier in the thread as a reference.....unironically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭victor8600

Actually there is a consensus on many points, just as there are open questions. What's not questioned by scientists is the existence of trans people, and that there are biological differences between people on the gender spectrum. Being trans is not a fetish, or a fashionable fad (though it does not exclude those). Would you deny the evidence published by the US government institutions on the topic? If you deny it, then I'll be happy to leave you in your ignorance.

But let us imagine that you do not deny that trans people exist. Should not then school children be taught about the topic in school rather than from unverified sources on the web?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Plus all the absolute bunkum and drivel about transing the gay away, trans young people merely being mentally ill, cross dressing men, sexual fetishises....

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I wouldn't talk specifics but very few schools would have more from experience. It's still not a large number overall. I've actually completely forgotten when it comes to a lot of kids, I suppose I just view it as their business. Where the education bit comes in is actually around language.....even just what trans as opposed to cis mean. You'd be amazed how often they use words they don't understand and how important this is in creating a level of comfort around a topic. No one is indoctrinating anyone and certainly the parents would be at the centre of any conversations. I've seen no contagion effect or anything like it. It's a he'd road to be choosing for yourself. Kids would actually say that sometimes, like it must be hard for them.

When talking about effect and time spent on the topic, I'd imagine Tictoc would have a much better chance of swaying feelings or sentiment in the vast majority of 12 years olds lives. I'm not happy saying that either.

Casually used LGBTQ, racist, sexist or culturally insensitive comments would be also the reason for education more generally. Kids can repeat words they hear.....or are getting wildly biased information and are responding to it. Gentle reminders and explaintion is warranted here to create a safe environment for everyone. Again, this is standard in a school, nothing for parents to be concerned about I think, mostly just a reminder we don't always understand other peoples lived experience but we should always treat them with respect and decency.

Like I said at the very start, I do understand nervousness around this, its definitely an evolving field but it's not as radical an undertaking as I think it's being made out to be. I remember a teacher saying early in my career "teaching them about those LGB people would turn them all queer". No that long ago really but shows how society changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

Suicide ideation is rapidly increasing for all young people today, again surveys carried out by ngos who promote gender affirmation and proclaim that young Trans teens will attempt suicide if not affirmed are not reliable. Your study there references the highly flawed 48% attempted suicide rate of 27 trans youth a British study that is critiqued here https://www.transgendertrend.com/a-scientist-reviews-transgender-suicide-stats/

Nearly 20 percent of Gen z in a recent survey in the US now proclaim they are LGBT+ that's up from 16% just two years ago, social contagion is undoubtedly affecting this generation with trans and non binary identities increasing. Tavistock had a 4000% rise in referrals for gender dysphoria in the past decade.

These children tell similar stories - they researched on the internet youtube or tiktok and had a light bulb moment that explained what was wrong with them all along, they were trans these children https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2022/nov/24/an-explosion-what-is-behind-the-rise-in-girls-questioning-their-gender-identity

yet 90% of trans people who went through the irelands gender clinic in 2022 may be autistic and have other mental health comorbidites https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/up-to-90pc-of-people-using-gender-service-may-be-autistic-audit-finds/42034649.html?s=08

It's not scaremongering on the side of those not wanting children to transition. It's child safeguarding. How on earth could a child of 5-12 possibly understand the implications of socially transitioning then starting puberty blockers and later having gender reassignment surgery? How on earth would affirming a young child's belief as a responsible adult in their lives not solidify that belief.

You quoted examples of karoytyping that proved a binary didn't exist previously now you are saying it is a blunt tool. It is for identifying gender dysphoria or trans people as this study here scientifically proves 98% of those trans identified have the binary xx and xy.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21114769/

What is a child's reference point for definitely being trans? Is it that a girl likes playing soccer or a boy likes dolls? Previous studies had 80-90 % of gender dysphoric children remaining as their natal sex following puberty. The DSM criteria for gender dysphoria was very specific before gender affirming care led to the explosion of cases at tavistock and in the US. Gender affirming care with zero long term studies on outcomes for patients- those patients being the young people who lack the mental capacity to consent to social and medical transition and its implications on there long term health and happiness. Again this is basic child safeguarding.

Silly suggestion. Nobody is suggesting a girl who likes soccer or a boy who likes dolls is definitely trans.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Just wondering for any teachers reading, what resources do you use when tackling this subject, or how is it approached?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Bit niave...? There's an entire worldwide organisation to deal with women's/girl's football (world cup is later this year) and plenty of boys like dolls (remember Action Man?).

Gender is something you are, football is something you do.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The last dozen or so posts show why this subject has no place being taught in schools TBH.

There is still too much disagreement on the topic as a whole, no common/agreed basis of definition, too much reliance on feelings or others perceptions of those feelings, a dependence on accepting certain ideas that are not based on facts (multiple genders or the idea that gender is a variable etc), reliance on terminology that is seen as offensive, meaningless or denigrating to some (Cis), the need to disregard biology or individual history and so on. It's a controversial ideology rather than science at this point.

Maybe in the future that'll change but right now we are nowhere near ready as adults to agree on this topic so we should absolutely not be passing it on to kids to sort out and thus I'll stand by my original assessment. Beyond instilling that people should be treated with decency and basic respect, and noting that some people feel different about the sex they were born as (and that's OK - but it doesn't mean you have to agree either), this has the potential to cause a lot more harm and confusion and confrontation than is needed.

Anything more than those basics should be left to parents to educate or decide on. It's not up to the teacher or the school to decide what ideologies should be taught unless those same parents sign off on it (in the same way as by sending their kids to a Catholic school, they are acknowledging that elements of the Catholic faith will be taught, advocated for, and indeed practised - communion etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Gender is something you are, football is something you do.

How is this being taught in schools, anyone?

Here's the first definition that comes up when I google:

Gender refers to the characteristics of women, men, girls and boys that are socially constructed. This includes norms, behaviours and roles associated with being a woman, man, girl or boy, ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah, you're clutching at straws, now.

Most of the last few pages is a small group of people chatting on an Internet forum - it's hardly compelling evidence.

And if we're going to shy away from awkward topics because there's 'disagreement" we might as well give up on education altogether.

I'm.not even going to bother with the Catholic schools argument - you already know (or should know) here the fallacy lies there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's reflective of discussions elsewhere - both on this site and off it. I'm comfortable with it being representative of a wider audience at this time.

Fundamentally it comes down to whether one accepts that someone CAN be whatever gender they identify as, and if you therefore accept that this makes them no different than a biological example of their chosen identity.

Considering this requires accepting their personal feelings/opinion as paramount and disregarding the facts and reality of biology and personal history, not to mention ones own values or opinions (if they are in conflict with this requirement), then it's not surprising there's so much discussion and disagreement on the topic.

I think my position is the fairest compromise. It acknowledges that some feel differently, encourages a basic level respect that ideally should be there anyway, but stays away from these ideological arguments in favour of more of a "each to their own/live and let live" approach.

I can't see why this is a problem unless the issue is that passive acceptance or even just apathy isn't enough, but rather that vocal acceptance and indeed advocacy is the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭Treppen

Good point, I think that's the main point of this thread.

Have any teachers responded?

Or is this just another hijacked debate.

Yes it mentioned it, along with lots of other papers .......because peer reviewed research always has a part about the current state of the field, objectively, and what the study itself offers.......that's how research works.

You need to check that what you are referencing is peer reviewed and in a decent journal. Some quangos opinion is not the same as verified research. It's like the COVID vaccine threads all over again.

Sorry, but by what logic is having a wide rang of opinions a good reason for not doing something? There are loads of issues that have a wide rang of opinions - practically every issue has a wide range of opinions - how is doing nothing a good idea...?

Fundamentally it comes down to whether one accepts that someone CAN be whatever gender they identify as, and if you therefore accept that this makes them no different than a biological example of their chosen identity.

Legally, yes they can; and no, no it doesn't. False logic. You rightfully corrected me on this one already, remember (at least, I think it was you...?)

I think my position is the fairest compromise.

What compromise? Each to their own doesn't work if you a transkid/teen and your parents won't talk to you or educate you, and the kids at school bull you because they honestly haven't been taught any better?

Remember the kid who got beaten up in navan last for being gay? You honestly think that won't happen with Trans people?

THAT'S the problem - how are you going to resolve that?

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

We've had training from a couple of organisations but mostly, for staff, it was around language ect. Whether you agree or not duty of care would suggest being capaple of speaking to a student about these issues in the language used is helpful.

Resources are varied, depends on the year or group. More class would have someone identifying as trans than wouldn't I think so it's very much a part of the school life anyway. It is much less of an issue than people think. I would have touched on it in teaching gender stereotyping and in science. Kids are actually just very curious, like when you teach reproduction........they are almost starved for a place to just ask "what's going on", I'd imagine because it's taboo in other settings.

For me having the correct knowledge and language to talk to students about their lived experience is important and a sign of respect. I do the same for lots of students for lots of reasons to make them feel included. I think people really think teachers have more power than they do, we can't stop the kids spending hours or tictoc or vaping all over the place .........my job would be a hell of a lot easier if teenagers were as suggestable as some are claiming here. We've seen no contagion I can identify, and very little is really said about it in the main. We've other, much bigger issues on a daily basis.

The autism link is worth investigating for sure, so far data is a bit scattershot but it looks like some form of correlation but that isn't causation. Could easily be an epiphenomenon either. We won't know until more research is done.

• Advertisement

so what is a childs reference point for saying they are born in the wrong body that a young girl of 5 or 6 is really a young boy?

Is it a feeling they just know about or is it a list of stereotypes that they think make them beleive they are the opposite sex?

I could link many articles to refute the ones above.

https://www.city-journal.org/article/a-new-low

It has not been debunked in any way that is completely untrue. That study that finds it debunked is written by the prominent gender affirming Trans right activist Jack Turban. Can you account for the 4000% increase in referrals to tavistock in less than 8 years? Can you account for the hundreds of detransitioners who speak about the influence of social media and peer groups where friends come out as trans together? Can you honestly say that social contagion has nothing to do with the huge increase in trans childrten?

Lets look at Jack Turbans study then that you have refenced here its built entirely on the premise that there are 1.2 boys for every 1 girl identifying astrans in the cited questionnaries study from 2017 and 2019 and there is no increase in girls identifying nor is there an increase in trans identyfing overall. He uses the fact that the number of girls actually decreased in 2019 as a rejection of the social contagion theory, theses are questionaires from a youth risk behaviour study. Now lets look at what has happened in Tavistock in England which has referrals from ourselves here in ireland

Tavistock the gender identity clinic has published its figures for referrals

In 2009/10 32 girls and 40 boys referred to the clinic fast forward to

2018/19 1740 girls and 624 boys

by 2019/20 - 1891 girls were referred and 720 boys were referred to the clinic

80% of all referrals were between the ages of 12 -17

There have been whistle blower doctor writng to the AAP about the flaws in Turbans study and the numbers of referrals on the ground with youth trans for years now but to no avail.

The tavistock figures directly reject the Turban study above and also vindicate Lisa Littmans study in 2018 both are critiqued here look at this article and apply the figures from Tavistock to the criticism and you can see how captured the media are to gender ideology.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-health-and-wellness/social-contagion-isnt-causing-youths-transgender-study-finds-rcna41392

Gender is something you are? Explain how brain washing an entire generation of children form the age of 5 into believing men can actually become biological women is in any way based in science or reality and the benefit that has for our children? We already teach our children to treat everybody with respect and kindness we dont have to teach them idelogical driven faleshoods.

I suppose it doesn't come within my subject remit so I don't encounter it as much as biology, sphe, cspe or religion teachers.

If I were to talk about it then I'd take the socratic approach and ask all the questions. I'd be very hesitant in saying "this is the way it is" as we live in a contextual world.

Also if you go into the area of psychology or quoting studies then you'll need to be careful who your audience is (same as anorexia, suicide etc).

Is it a feeling they just know about

Based on the stories I've read/watched/herd about, yes.

And would you agree that feelings can change? How does gender affirmation allow a child to navigate their childhood with the guidance and common sense of an adult who knows that these feelings can change and shouldnt be affirmed ingrained and set on a medical pathway for life that they cannot possibly comprehensd the implications of?

• Advertisement

Gender is something you are?

Yes. If you're male, you're male. It's not a case of you do male Tuesdays and Fridays for a few hours in the afternoon and every second Saturday.

Explain how brain washing an entire generation of children form the age of 5 into believing men can actually become biological women is in any way based in science or reality and the benefit that has for our children?

I never actually made this claim, so not sure why you're asking and take this as you will, but:

Explain how brain washing an entire generation of children form the age of 5 into believing men can actually become biological women

It's not and they can't...

and the benefit that has for our children?

... depends on the children, but I would imagine it would benefit the ones who are trans by making them happier (although I'm not trans, so it is a guess)

We already teach our children to treat everybody with respect and kindness

Judging by the amount of homophobic bullying being called out in the wake of the Navan incident, no we do not.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what you mean by "ideaological driven falsehoods" - are you saying transpeople don't exist? Transpeople have no right to exist? Or they do exist, but only to enhance an ideology?

Yes; and that's a loaded question because 1) who said feelings shouldn't be affirmed?; and 2) I never commented on kids transitioning.

We're talking about educating them.

TENI

Belong to

and every other Trans right activist group in ireland and England and the US are advocating for the gender affirming model of care for children.

If you tell small children that boys and girls can be born in the wrong body then because they lack the critical thinking of adults they will believe you.

Simple questions, yes or no (but feel free to say more if you want).

• Do you want children to get the knowledge about the gender spectrum in a controlled manner from a teacher in school?, Or
    • Do you want children to get the knowledge from unconfirmed internet sources, exposing them to propaganda before they can form an informed opinion?

Can you answer these questions or not?

They're not simple questions. You teach in a context , it's not as straightforward as making microchips.

What are teachers learning about "The Gender Spectrum" anyway? What actual inservices authorised by the NCCA on "The Gender Spectrum" are they all going to?

'Controller Manner ' doesn't really mean anything either. I could promote paganism in a controlled manner to students either, does that make the information I'm imparting valid. Is it my place as a teacher to advocate for pagans. Especially when we can see from this thread everybody is getting their information from many many different sources, and that's just to confirm their own position, is it ok just to go into a classroom and go with that approach (do our own research) and teach, 'but in a controlled manner'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"It's not scaremongering on the side of those not wanting children to transition. It's child safeguarding. How on earth could a child of 5-12 possibly understand the implications of socially transitioning then starting puberty blockers and later having gender reassignment surgery? How on earth would affirming a young child's belief as a responsible adult in their lives not solidify that belief."

Yes this above - first principle: Do no harm. Time evens many bumps along the road.

Too many people with other agendas trying to influence the life paths of children growing up and where growing is the important concept.

I could promote paganism in a controlled manner to students either, does that make the information I'm imparting valid. Is it my place as a teacher to advocate for pagans.

When you say "promote", do you mean teaching or actually promoting? And are you implying that teachers are gong to be "promoting" transgenderism to kids the same way you mean 'promote paganism' in this example?

Now I may have you wrong here, but this sounds like you think 'controlled manner' means actively encouraging people to do something

Same question to the poster above: are you under the impression that teaching is going to be replaced by promotion? That gender affirmation of a potentially transkid is going to happen in the classroom? That pubery blockers and surgery are going to be on the curriculum?

Nobody has actually made the claim that men can become biological women though.

Terry Pratchet

'Controller Manner ' doesn't really mean anything either. I could promote paganism in a controlled manner to students either, does that make the information I'm imparting valid.

My questions are simple, you are just trying to derail the discussion. Teaching about something is not the same as promoting it.

Your analogy regarding paganism is a good one. I hope that religion classes in schools include the history aspect of all world religions, and describe ancient religious practices, such as shamanism or paganism.

The approach you have of "do no harm" is not correct though because your ideology does in fact harm children who are genuinely trans.

Your ideology is harmful by pretending to trans children that they don't exist and pretending that don't know in any way know their own minds. Its harmful by forcing a child to go through life pretending they are something they are not, pretending their life experiences are not real, denying them their own agency and identity and forcing them to go through puberty when it may be against their wishes.

Terry Pratchet

I've an idea - have an explanatory session laying out the pros and cons for the parents of every primary school.

Take a vote on whether these parents wish to have their children exposed to these matters.

Remember parents are the primary guardians and educators of their children,

Accept the result that a very large majority will choose to let sleeping dogs lie, do no harm, let things work out in time if needed. End of.

As far as I know, it works the other way around. If a parent does not want their child to take a particular class, they can ask the school to excuse the child from the class.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I never said it was. I explained a few times that a huge amount of people are going the trans route that should not including men with this fetish.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

If there are genuinely trans people then the issue should not be dealt with in the teenage years because it's a volatile time. A lot of trans kids will end up gay if left or simply grow out of it.

I accept for the genuinely trans kids going through puberty might be hell but a total ban on puberty blockers is a logical thing. They are kids and there is no absolute test to be 100 % sure

We also have kids in mental distress who will drift into it.

As far as I can tell its a psychological question. Psychology is a recent enough science and is litterd with cul de sacs. It's bible of diagnosis is terribly flawed.

Look at repressed memory syndrome or split personality syndrome.

• Advertisement

How does that help the kids who need the information?

How many times have you got to be told that there is no connection between gender and sexuality??#

(And don;t waste a post asking for scientific proof - no one's bothered to wasting their time proving if because it's blatantly obvious to anyone who knows what the terms actually mean)

That's a good question and underlies my point.

I know there's one religion syllabus or should I say specification!. But the teaching and promotion ( and demotion ) of certain/all/no religions takes place on a daily basis depending on the school and teacher.

So who oversees the teachers to ensure they are teaching and not promoting or otherwise? Where are the guidelines on the actual teaching practice being taught in 3rd Level?

What would you teach children about the gender spectrum? What science backs up the gender spectrum? How many genders are there? Can a biological male become a biological female? Can a woman have a penis? How do you regulate the information thats provided to children in school? Where does the this information come from? how did the NCCA decide that gender ideology needs to be taught in schools? Who is lobbying for this to be taught and is their stance that children should be affirmed if they beleive they are born in the wrong body? At what point does someone know they are born in the wrong body? What age is appropiate to talk about social contagion and gender ideology so that children understand about it? Would we bring in a trans person to class and allow them to speak and educate the children? ANd if we bring in a trans person should we bring a person who has detransitioned too? Should we have a seperate module all about detransitioners? If i say to a child who lacks the life experience and critical thinking skills of adult that boys can have a girl brain then I'm lying to them.

What? So you are saying lots of sexual fetishists are pretending to be trans?

Terry Pratchet

Oh right OK

Real trans people shouldn't be allowed to exist because gay people or mentally ill people might say they are trans. How incredibly insulting to trans people, gay people and people with mental ill health.

Your post makes no sense AT ALL.

"if there are genuinely trans people"

There are genuinely trans people

Trans people exist

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

Again your ideology of pretending trans children don't exist and forcing trans children to not be trans is harmful. It's laughable to keep on about "do no harm"

Terry Pratchet

So many questions, it is admirable that you are that inquisitive! You should apply for a job in the Dept of Education and create a program, perhaps?

Personally, I would just add some items to the sex ed program, explaining that some people may feel that they were born in the opposite gender or feel as they do not belong to a single gender and that this is ok and nothing to be alarmed about. More info on request, if someone asks or needs support. That's more or less it.

Are you a teacher? Do you have any children yourself? Or are you just here with an agenda?

I ask, as you must surely know and I repeat that parents are the primary guardians and educators of their children. End of.

Parents make decisions daily for children, more so when they are young and perhaps less in teenage years. Parents are responsible for their children and make decisions in what they consider their child's best interests. They are less interested in how other people think they should raise their children, as it's really none of their business at the end of the day.

That's why you might inform parents and let them decide collectively how such matters should be dealt with in school.

And you know what, if as a parent you don't like that decision and wish to do things differently, then you take the child out of school and educate them yourself. Lots do it.

• Advertisement

Constitutionally speaking yes you are correct - but we dont live in a vacuum where the state has no role and every parent dictates what their child can and cant learn on the school curriculum

Schools teach children things all the time - Many schools already teach about these matters with little or no problem.

The discussion was about educating that trans people exist and somehow you turned that into children coming out as trans - its like you have this weird idea constructed in your head that teaching the simple truth that trans people exist is going to somehow turn loads of children trans.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement