Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Strong whiff of mike9823 or his other 20 aliases that used to frequent this forum a few years ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My sentiments exactly. Get that muppetcheck out!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

As a bit of balance I have my Ioniq up on DD atm for 15, exact same car in black as the one advertised at 13. I wouldn't dream of letting it go at 13, never mind below. All the good things said about that car is true, I'm in mine 3 + years with no issues whatsoever and am now just thinking of keeping it. At 13 it's most Definitely a Bargain!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod note: back to EV bargains, instead of discussion of individual posters

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭RM Ernest

Out of interest Bootser have you had much interest in it at 15k?

• Advertisement

Nope, but I haven't really put enough effort into my ad either! The ev market looks to be falling for out of warranty cars. Even the newer Ioniq 38 have seen a haircut on asking prices in the last couple of weeks! (that's what I was looking to get into)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭RM Ernest

It's definitely turning back into a buyers market the last 2 months for 2nd hand EVs anyway.

Good luck with the sale 👍

Trickle effect of the major Tesla Model Y price drop from January. Though if I'm honest I didn't expect the lower end to be affected. There seem to be a lot of cheap Leafs for sale, haven't seen as many for several years.

Even more mid price (25k-40k) EVs for sale, most buyers will not get anything like their asking price as this segment is starting to get cramped with the likes of in warranty Tesla Model 3 now to be had for late 20s. There's a second hand ID.3 up there for €56k, seriously? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

What sort of range would you get from the above-mentioned 28kwh Ioniq? At say 100km/h and 15-20 degrees C?

Id expect 190kms or so for those conditions, cud be more tho, I just don't like to rely on the lower end range.

• Advertisement

Easily. In good weather in summer you'd get 170-180km at 120km/h at a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I would expect a range of about 200kms or a little more at that speed and temperature. Any less would indicate degradation.

I'd agree with eagerev, the car will display those figures no prob, but personally I tend to subtract 20kms from the estimated range just to give myself wiggle room!

Personally, I prefer to make it home without having to stop to publicly charge, even if that means pushing it to 1-2% of the range 😁 I guess I've been driving EVs for a very long time now, I've never been stuck with an empty car. The one bad thing about Ioniq (and several other EVs) is that the car goes into "turtle mode" when there is very little range left, which makes the car slow with very little throttle response in order to conserve energy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ioniq turtle mode at 5% is dangerously slow. I hit it a few times, and arrived at zero percent remaining once. If it hits zero and dies, the parking brake comes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's a 6 year old car though... we bought our Volvo at 6 year old for around that money and it was 46k new. I mean EV owners seem to have their heads stuck in the clouds to be frankly honest. Bargain or... normal pricing reductions. Cars lose large part of value being driven off the lot then 2 to 3k per year there after. That's how it works. The market is reflecting that tbh.

Almost all EVs have a lot lower depreciation than ICE cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah I know. You forget I've been around here for a few years...

The point is EV owners have enjoyed a few years of this anomaly. It's over, the markets reflecting the values now and will continue to do so.

Many EV owners have their heads in the clouds though. Bargain ?.. or new normal pricing for cars and ever depreciating asset...

So you reckon that lower end older EVs had lower than ICE depreciation over the last few years, but now they are on a par?

I can't honestly say I believe that to be the case. It makes no sense. Now more and more people are opting for pure EVs as their next brand new car (this is increasing extremely rapidly - in Norway it is already over 90% and we are only maybe 4-5 years behind), the demand for cheaper EVs as second household cars will naturally increase. And seeing there were almost no brand new EVs bought 6 years ago or so, it means supply will stay low. Hence prices staying high (and depreciation being low or even negative)

Where almost 7 years ago people looked at me like I had 7 heads when I bought my first EV, now people will almost look funny at someone saying EVs will never be mainstream. Everybody now knows where this is going and most people know it is going to be swift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

All I know is that I have my 2021 ID.3 Tour for sale on DD for a month now. The cheapest of only 4 Tours on DD. New today it would be €54k after grant. The car is perfect with massive spec and I have it listed at €35k Not... one... call.

• Advertisement

It's a tough sell. For only a few grand more people would have a brand new Model 3. The Tesla price drops have taken a large chunk of value particularly off similar priced second hand EVs but probably some value off all cars really except the low end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

4 seater also, its one of the reasons I did not buy the ampera years ago even though I had only the need for 4 seats, I would have found it harder to sell on.

It's hardly a fair comparison though. A base Model 3 to a top spec, long range ID.3?

I get that the Tesla price drop has dragged second hand EV prices down, it seems that I'll have to keep dropping until it sells.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

What does the top spec ID.3 have over the base M3?

Stay Free

I have no idea of the spec levels of the ID.3 but that's a good question and spec wouldn't be that important to me apart from a few basics like level 2 autonomous driving, but I'd genuinely like to know too. Also the battery in the ID.3 is bigger than in the Tesla, but the latter is more efficient and more aerodynamic and can charge faster and has the supercharger network. So in practice I don't think there'd be much in in either way in motorway range, but I know which I would want on a continental European holiday or even for a longer trip driving in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

That's where i'm at too. Just wondering if the ID.3 has any stand out features the M3 doesn't. I think the comparison made was fair, with the M3 (IMO) being a little better, but I can't pin my hat on it, as I just don't know the ID.3 very well.

Stay Free

Better autopilot (Travel Assist) with capacitive steering wheel, IQ light on the dash putting useful info/warning in your vision, Upgraded Massage seats, Excellent matrix headlights, Augmented reality HUD, adaptive regen, Diamond cut 19" alloys, Wireless Android Auto/Carplay, Automatic speed adjustment from reading speed signs, a hatchback! (important for me), Ultrasonic sensors, Auto wipers that don't have a mind of their own. The ability to play your own MP4 videos on the infotainment screen. And not least 520kms of real world summer range.

There are things that a base Model 3 has that the ID.3 doesn't, like a glass roof, but the above list is the important extras for me.

Hatchback would be crucial for me for our family car alright 😂

The rest wouldn't interest me either way really but I'd like a HUD, does the ID.3 not have that in top spec? The Tesla most certainly doesn't. What's max charging speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

135kWh now after the latest update and also has plug and charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

There is probably a few reasons that Tour is not selling.

Its within 5 k of a brand new M3 versus a 2 year old ID3 Tour. Tour has more range, but M3 has circa 490 km, so close’ish.

Buyers interested, may have a Trade in, to shift, and some do not want to go through the private sale route.

Warranty - a big one when youre spending That much cash, new vehicles have 3 years plus with them. kia have 7 years, and i’m not even talking anout battery warranty here.

The facelifted new ID3 is out in the coming months.

There is a Tour “5” on done deal, 22 reg, it has dropped by about 5 k, since being out up originally, for about 45k, an absolutely ridiculous price.

Finally, the market place decides the price, not the seller.

If you want to shift, you’l have to reduce more. Good thing is Tours are scarce, and the 4 seater is very well specced.

There are more than 200 ID3’s on done deal right now, it was half that in February, there will be hundreds on it by late autumn, as the initial batch of PCP deals finish their 3 year period, and people want to upgrade.

Advertisement