Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm looking for a weird product to test a theory of mine. Does anyone know where I could pick up a server rack battery that is 15S? Used or new, SOH doesnt matter it just needs to work and must be 15S

Needs to have comms as well to work with Solis

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Pylontechs are all 15S. Wouldn't recommend them though 😂

BTW you can't have comms between your existing pack and your Solis inverter AND between any other pack and your Solis inverter at the same time

Pylontech seem a bit weird though. The voltage range is different to my Dyness pack, it seems to be similar voltage to a 16S pack. They use the silly pouch cells so perhaps its that.

I'm looking to see if I can put a different 15S pack as the main pack and then connect the dyness as slaves.

Edit: You're right, they are 15S though

The Pylontech battery has 15 cells in series, so 53.2V equates to 3.55V per cell. This is very highly charged and makes the system prone to go overvoltage.

Nah not prone to overvoltage, the BMS will protect the cells. 3.55V is pretty much fully charged but not all that high. LiFePO4 can be charged to 4.2V without damage

Not sure if your plan is going to work, far easier to just do what @graememk and I suggested yesterday: just have your old Dyness do the comms with your Solis. Then hook up another 15S pack and it will just toggle along doing the same as the Dyness. The individual BMS on Dyness and on your other 15S pack will each protect their own batteries

If you want to test, you could just hook up 15 of any LiFePO4 cells in series - not even use a BMS if you are only going to test for a few seconds - and see if the plan works. I have some cheap 32700 cells you could use for your experiment if you like 😂

I just checked the dyness and its at 51.2V at 96% SOC. The aim of my experiment is to see if I can expand capacity without a) having to sell the dyness batteries to do so and b) without having to use the Dyness BMS, I want to use a different BMS as the main bms. I know I could use any cells but I want ones with a BMS with comms so I see SOC and the BMS protects the battery.

Pylontech seems to be a higher voltage. (I didnt say the last sentence about overvoltage, I copied from here)

It seems very complicated. I may give in and sell the dyness but I dont really want to go down that route, too much hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,237 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Since we're on the topic of batteries, how's about a video about flow batteries?

Unfortunately they're not for residential applications, but they seem to be getting more and more large scale

To me this is one of the more exciting battery technologies coming out because it only uses commonly available materials and is very easy to maintain and recycle

And to be fair to Redflow, they have batteries in the field for almost 8 years now so this is well beyond some lab concept

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Honestly it's pretty straight forward. Pylontech does not have any "higher voltage" than any other battery, they all use LiFePO4 cells that are all nominally 3.2V, lowest 2.5V and max 3.65V, but charge up to 4.2V without damage

You can keep your Dyness batteries, build your own 15S pack, stick a BMS on it and it will toggle along doing whatever the Dyness is telling your inverter to do. Or the other way around if the BMS of your new pack can talk to your inverter

So the other way round is exactly what I wanted to know/test/validate. Basically if I had like 800AH of lifepo4 cells and a jk bms commuinicating with solis inverter I can have the dyness set as slaves. The solis + dyness only allow 50A charge discharge, I think it's the dyness bms but would like to be sure before committing to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭curioustony

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

JK BMS doesn't talk natively to inverters though!

Personally I don't like all that talk anyway and machines that make their own minds up and tell each other what to do. I prefer them to just stick to their own thing and do as I tell them 😀

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ah your looking to get away from the 50a limit,

You could possibly run in user defined mode and use the voltage settings that you currently are using.

The 15s pylontech have the same nominal voltage as the dryness. (15*3.2, 48v)

You battery at 51.2v at 96% has an average cell voltage of 3.4v

A charge voltage mentioned above of 53.25 is only 3.55 per cell which for a balanced pack would be no issue.

To get a jk to talk to a solis you need a middleman, or the blue box as @unkel calls it.

Esp32, Can board, rj45 connector and wires to the rs485 port of the JK, runs esphome and that has the translation code needed.

Kinda also needs home assistant

Right well that rules that out, I wont be using a JK bms in that instance. I'm not going soldering wires together to make a comms box. Even the chinese server rack batteries you buy can talk natively to solis. That's annoying. Daly BMS (while getting mixed reviews) seem able to communicate with solis.

Back to the drawing board.

Why are you so hung up about comms between battery and BMS? It adds zero value in my book, except for showing nicer info in apps and doing additional automation

It adds nothing to the performance of the system. In fact, it often hinders optimal performance

Because without comms, the SOC on the inverter displays in voltage instead of percentage, and theres a warning light about can fail. Both of those annoy me no end

Did you actually switch to default settings on the inverter and take out the ethernet cable? That will almost certainly get rid of that warning light. As there shouldn't be any warning. These inverter systems have been working with batteries without BMS for years before people started buying lithium batteries (that need a BMS)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Would you not consider selling your existing batteries and going down the DIY route with 32/64 etc individual cells in parallel 16s, and thus avoid complications.

I had a mate who just bought 2 X 5kW batteries for something like €5k whereas I have 20kW for half that via DIY route, I tried to get him to go DIY but he's DIY inept so ponied up instead

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

He is considering that but is afraid he won't get decent money back for his Dyness packs. And there is nothing wrong with building DIY 15S batteries instead of 16S. You could always later change your mind, buy a few more cells and reconfigure as 16S

Yes, that throws the can fail error. To be honest, pack voltage is a better indicator of SOC anyway than the BMS predicted SOC, but I like seeing percentages and no warnings!

I think I'll just have to familiarise myself with the voltage range of 15S packs and go from there. I'm sick of the 50A limit.

@slave1 as Unkel says I will be buying cells and going the DIY route just with 15S instead of 16S, to maximise what I already have. I think it's too much hassle to go selling the dyness now, and as they will be over a year old when I will get the calb cells delivered, its not the same as nearly new

Yeah I'm doing the same, but you only really have to do it once (set max and min pack voltages) in your inverter. The BMS will protect the cells. You could do your own table by multiplying the first column here by 15, but you are well versed in working with data 😁

• Advertisement

That voltage chart doesnt align with my current pack, which was 51.2v at 96% indicated. So either my SOC on the inverter from the BMS is wrong (possible) or that chart is for 16S? (Or is it charging voltage vs cell voltage?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

What dyness battery you have? Mine sit at around at 56.5v when at 100% so your voltage seems low for 96%, mine is 53v at 96%

I did have to update them recently as I noticed the SOC was drifting and it turns out they got shipped from the factory with some sort of stupid 55.5v limit and they were never reaching 100%, rock solid since.

I assume you only have one of them 5.12kwh? And also the solis can only sustain 63a anyway so why bother for another 13a?

That's why I said multiply first column by 15 😂

That'll teach me to skim read.

I went out anyway to test and pulled the cable. I have to use Lead Acid as the profile because the inverter throws an error and wont interact with the battery if you select user define without comms. Its charging and currently around 52v and 80 odd SOC

I'll monitor the voltage and see what happens. Kaboom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Worth getting onto dyness and asking them to check the serial numbers and what FW version/parameters are on the batteries.

Maybe you need an update as well.

And you're at 17kwh usable unless you want to drain them to 0% and damage the cells eventually.

52V is 100% SOC but perhaps the inverter compensates for load. Anyway you can see the real SOC when you turn off charging for about 20-30s and note the voltage. If it doesn't drop much below 51V, your battery is full

Yes its still on the default settings, 100 to 10 discharge. I dont have anything connected online anywhere, given how bad updates have been.

To be honest I think I need to either get something 15S with a bms that can speak to Solis and paralel it with the dyness, or just sell the dyness and go for the usual 16S setup

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Get on to your installer. You paid a small fortune for 20kWh and you're getting artificially limited to 50A. Both pack and inverter (for 15mins anyway) are capable of 100A.

I'd be following that up before spending more money on cells or crystallising a sizable loss on your Dyness pack.

• Advertisement

If I werent intending on expanding significantly anyway, yes I'd agree.

Advertisement