Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

EU citizens have freedom to be here, to move here, to live here. As per EU legislation every ‘citizen’ of the Union has the right to move and reside freely within the territory of the EU Member States. It’s a lawful benefit… an agreed benefit of being together in this ‘Union’…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Because the issue is housing isn't it?

We don't have enough housing to house our own Irish people! In order to house Irish people, we should expel anyone non Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

@BlueSkyDreams Peadar isn't even far right enough for some who are former SF voters and want politicians on an anti immigration platform .

Not thuggish enough either .

There are some that will hoover up that vote if people are foolish enough to believe that they will do anything for them .

These types just want to get power, any bit at all , to stamp their hobnailed boots over anybody that is vulnerable , or in a minority .

Also the reason why the UK has fewer Ukrainians , is because the UK , not being part of the EU , has shut down all avenues of legal immigration even for refugees except for applications from abroad !

This has been going on there since Priti Patel ...how do ye not know this ??

Ukrainians and Afghans along with everybody else have had to wait to apply and only allowed if given sponsorship or accepted , in a waiting country , Poland , Moldova , wherever they have managed to escape to.

These are people fleeing war . So it's no wonder they don't apply to go there !

Who does try to circumvent this are those in small boats being trafficked .

This is why the UK is keeping Ukrainians and Afghans back , but they gave a mass influx of Albanians and Georgians .

The UK is not a country to follow ..for anything .

Do you have a link for that ? I mean to prove that he is telling blatant lies ?

Like , did he actually say what you are saying those words exactly? Or was there more to it than what you said ?

I have seen figures that 4 out of 5 of those served deportation orders in the last 5 years are unaccounted for in Ireland .

Where are they ? They are not claiming benefits or being housed so they must be working illegally and paying their own way ...or else they left on a boat to somewhere. .

If you drill down there are also people who have applied for subsidiary protection which is for people who are safe from fear of execution or death through war , but at risk of torture or persecution , and gives them 3 years and deportation after that . No rights as those granted refugee status have but can work here until then .

Then there are those who may be granted " permission to remain " by the Minister . Usually people well settled .

Not saying that would be all of the 80% as those numbers don't seem to be available , but I would think it would narrow the odds a bit .

And certainly these people are no threat to anyone .

Anybody with criminal convictions or deemed a danger to society is forcibly deported .

" Unaccounted for " ...does that mean any of the above, it's so vague ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Myth, I and plenty of others were working away then, no one could afford a pint?? Ffs

Fact. I and plenty others had to leave or stay and draw dole despite having qualifications and experience.

The pint was tongue in cheek ffs.

Yep. They do. And asylum seekers have the legal right to claim asylum here.

So, if the problem is non Irish citizens, then maybe it's time to move them all out. Take away the visas & send the EU citizens home.

Ireland for the Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

We have a housing crisis ,even people on a high wage struggle to find s place to rent, we need to build about 60 k housing units per year to keep up with demand

We are in the eu we can't just stop accepting refugees

The problem is there's very few places left to send refugees.

I

Builders are now slowing down building eg due to rising costs ,theres 1000,s of applications for housing planning permission, that have not been looked at due to a backlog

at an board planala .

irelands economy is booming so of course we have 1000s of people coming here looking for work.

gen z does not know there was a time when young people were leaving ireland in the 80s to find a job . we have a budget surplus but we simply do not have enough builders avaidable even to build the social housing .to build one estate takes 2 years at least.

every country in the eu has agreed to take in ukrainian refugee,s

theres no chance of any eu country adopting a zero refugee policy ,eu law allows free movement of labour to any country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well theres one thing for sure you won't hear the woke libs like Bacik, Cairns and Murphy mention it anyway.

Oh I almost forgot to add MacDonald to the list as well.

Doesn't matter what I didn't get, the fact remains the people I mentioned will never talk about illegals coming here after destroying their documents.

2000 is an obscene figure and we not even half way through the year.

@Patrick2010 Read this and tell me again what I said was a myth ....

" Emigration waves in the 20th century " .

I never post anything I don't know to be true .

You are entitled to your opinion .

As is Peadar , just him, himself , nobody to consult or no policy to formulate, no body else to consider really.. that was my point which you didn't get .

The point you are making is not relevant to my post but not disagreeing with you except to say that they are by definition not " illegal " , until proven otherwise .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I notice a lot of chatter about "floatels" here, they sound lovely, floating hotels....

The British press are likening the same concept of floating refugee accommodation to prison hulks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/08/tory-plan-house-asylum-seekers-barges-dickensian

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I notice a lot of chatter about "floatels" here, they sound lovely, floating hotels....

The British press are likening the same concept of floating refugee accommodation to prison hulks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/08/tory-plan-house-asylum-seekers-barges-dickensian

So whats your opinion on 2000 people here who arrived in the last 5 months with nothing to prove who they are.

How will they be vetted before moving them into communities where women and children are living.

Lot of people I agree . Too many to be processed before moving them into any communities .

But" vetted " ... they are never vetted except a brief check by immigration officials to see they are not criminal or on any countries wanted list , until their application is gone through .

Even then nobody is " vetted " same as anyone else unless applying to work with vulnerable people as in Garda vetting.

This word is misunderstood and overused by people .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The vetting word is completely overused. It's a red herring and meaningless in many regards. I wouldn't really trust any vetting process that took its inputs from shambolic jurisdictions in Africa or elsewhere. I'd say any of our 'vetting' checks from some of these chaotic countries are very high level and limited in scope, like you said - cross checking most wanted lists etc. And there are ways around these things if you do have a public criminal record e.g. name/identity changes - Shure our own politicians use their Irish names to get around cross checks.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

Denmark has adopted this policy. Poland only takes in ukranians and is ruthless to asylum seekers from Africa / Middle East.

it can be done. Our politicians are too spineless or indoctrinated.

Well thats even worse then isn't it, some of them could be rapists and murderers and nobody would know anything about it.

I agree .. it's a word used to instill fear in people by some of the more unscrupulous .

Nobody is vetted but at least some attempt is made to check backgrounds and for criminality of these people in the first few days. It's more than any checks done on EU and UK migrant workers, yet people don't talk about vetting these people and are happy to have them living next door.

The biggest fear is that some people arrive without documentation, but mostly that is either the inability to get ut together if they leave in a hurry , or to try to pretend they have not applied anywhere else . At worst it is people who feel they won't be accepted unless they say they are from wartime areas .

This is not criminality. This is dishonesty as a result of desperation. Not right but it doesn't deserve the level of witchhunt being pursued.

I had to get Garda vetted about 10 years ago and I think it took over 1 year to process the vetting application because I had lived abroad for a few years (Australia, UK, Sweden). I know it has improved here but I imagine the pace of vetting for people from Rwanda or Nigeria or Libya or Somalia or Sierra Leone is very slow and very loose (if their processes exist at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

They’re not. As they’ve no idea who they are. They’re being shunted into communities all over the country.

Yes . So could many people .

Let's get everybody vetted from now on. Nobody over 18 allowed outside until the Gardaí check everywhere they've been since they left school .

Or maybe since 14 years ?

It takes an average of 6 weeks to 3 months to get healthcare workers . Most of us have lived in more countries than any of these asylum seekers.

A very dangerous bunch !

Yes. Me too, multiple places, some third world .

I have my last list of 40 plus addresses around the world saved because our kids were fascinated ;)

Quickest back were obviously UK and Canada , Sweden as well . Eritrea I don't think came back at all but as it was for an Irish organisation abroad I think they reckoned I was ok !

Could have been a rapist/ murderer though 👀

But no , I'm white and Irish so I got the thumbs up .

How can they be vetted if they have no identity? Or a made up identity?

What should be done with them while full vetting is taking place? What if their countries of origin have no credible vetting system?

I quite agree. But posters here seem to think that immigrants are taking all our houses. Doesn't matter that they are paying for them, they are taking up homes that could be filled with Irish citizens.

So, obvs the ans appears to be to get rid of non Irish living here, all of them. Then they'll be houses for us Irish people.

• Advertisement

Some of the EU citizens living here could be rapists and murderers and noone would know......

Advertisement