Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Good suggestion but had tried various different valuations between 2k and 6k especially with Aviva to ensure it was the car age rather than it's value that was the determining factor in refusing to give me a quote.

Some companies ask when you purchased the car in some vain efforts to determine if a new purchase is likely to be involved in some insurance scam or a crash for cash given it's relatively low value. I have my car over 7 years though so I should clear that hurdle when asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Sorry not meaning to p!ss you off but called AXA today and it was a worthwhile wait on the phone. Got the renewal down to €360 :-) Paid by CC there and then as I doubt I'll get a better deal anywhere?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Got my renewal yesterday, 419 up from 308 last year, sneaky enough as I can't get quotes as the policy doesn't expire until the second of May. I'm going to wait it out to see if Revolut have anything to offer.

In case anyone's interested I got my insurance for €328 after, from my outgoing insurer Zurich. I went through the Bord Gais rewards on their site with a different email and bingo €328, card payment accepted, job done😉 Sorted for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Looking at quotes for my sister. Decent results.

30 years old, 5 NCB, 2010 Golf. Added parent as a named driver.

€473 with Zurich

€453 with Liberty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Just got renewal quotes for my two cars, both with Liberty for past 7 years:

Mini “high power” - down 475 to 347

SUV 3L - down from 554 to 436

”high power” because they refused to let me add a named driver on a learner permit due to power, supposedly.

a sweet spot for me, not worth my time ringing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,498 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wondering if anyone else has had their insurer point blank refuse to discuss reducing the renewal premium they posted out?

I had been with Allianz for maybe 5 or 6 years. Got renewal, but of course went and searched and got a better quote.

I called them up to see what they could do. Girl simply said no, they couldn't offer anything better. Hadn't told her any figures. It was about a week before renewal date, so she told me to ring back if I changed my mind.

I thought maybe I had got her on a bad day, or just as she was about to clock off, so called again next day. Got exactly same from a guy. No debate, that's the best we can do! He didn't ask what quote I had got either.

So I moved my business. Was shocked they didn't even ask what quote I got, or even offer to look into it. That's the first time it's ever happened that they didn't try to at least come close to my best offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

When you get the policy docs from your new insurance company, just compare with the old document, and see what if any differences there are. Sometimes, a cheaper quote comes at a price.... I was with Zurich last year, and had Comprehensive PLUS, so for this year ( 2022-2023) I just renewed it. But about 2 weeks afterwards, I got a letter saying that as I had paid for Comprehensive , they would honor it, but it was no longer available anymore. So now renewal time again, ( 2023-2024) and I've just received a quote, which specifically states that while Comprehensive PLUS is no longer available, everything that was in that policy, is available as an extra, which means that it will have to be paid for...as if I was not already paying for it in the PLUS version.

Yeah, checked. The cheaper option has all the cover my existing one had.

Just surprised they let me leave without a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Did you ask them to run a fresh quote as a new customer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I know some insurers agents have a discretionary discount they can add on to bring the price down. Mine just said sorry I've double checked and we can't do it any cheaper but I can give you a discretionary discount. Got 10% off. Called back a few weeks later for my wifes insurance and got exactly the same thing.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Didn't even get courtesy of a 10% off offer. Straight up no.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Anyone use An Post insurance? I have a One4All €500 voucher that I tend to use as my insurance is up in May. Anyone get decent quotes with them before?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭blade1

With them 4 years and I use to change every year before.

They have been between 330 and €350 every year on a 2.5litre lexus.

Full comp with no claims bonus protection.

I have a 1.4 passat 2015 driving 11 years, 8 years no claims so hope I can get a decent quote!! I’m 29.

I have a 1.4 passat 2015 driving 11 years, 8 years no claims so hope I can get a decent quote!! I’m 29.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

123.ie (had a tip in 2019, still getting loadings on it.) New quote is €729 3rd Party.

Year         Amount

29/05/2022   716.05

29/05/2021   813.56

29/05/2020   814.68

29/05/2019   519.05

29/05/2018   499.45

Online quotes:

An Post - Comp: €766 / 3rd Party: €689

AA - Comp: €717

Aviva - Comp: €718 / 3rd Party: €646

FBD - Comp: €658 / 3rd Party: €590

Post edited by Zatoichi on

Has anyone ever used a one4all gift card to pay for AnPost car insurance. I have €500 chip and pin card but it doesn’t work online. Can’t contact an post as today in a bank holiday. Can I pay at a post office?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Renewal is €468 with 123.ie on a Zafira tourer 130bhp with wife as named driver. No claims or points and full NCD.

Most online quotes coming between €390 and €440 with Zurich coming in at €328. Due to renew on Thursday so I'll call 123 today and see what they offer before jumping with Zurich.

I never contact the outgoing insurer it's their job to give you the best renewal price, if they aren't bothered tough luck.

• Advertisement

29 driving a 2015 VW Passat R Line 1.4 petrol. 8 years no claims bonus. No penalty points. Full licence since 2012.

GetSetGo: €502 last year, renewal price this year €516!

AnPost Insurance: €483 with unlimited windscreen cover so went with that.

Literally everywhere else quoting well over €5/600 some even €700! Insurance prices are really creeping back up it’s ridiculous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Rang them as I needed home insurance and thought they would give a decent discount with both. I was wrong. Ended up that chill were by far the cheapest on both so went with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Perinho

Car: 2016 Honda Civic Type R GT

NCB 10+

Cover: Fully Comp

Employed as Engineer

No claims / No Penalty points / No convictions

Last year FBD: €530

Renewal: €533

So I went online FBD for a quote. Same age, gender, employment, NCD, etc.. Changed my address to next door and a slightly different name.

Quote: €440.

Rang them, asked them why and the lady said FBD would honour the lower quote but it would be a new policy.

I was also told to enter my correct address and name.

Now the quote was €420. Paid them there and then.

Pays to shop around and also to shop as a "new" customer.

Exactly what I did☺️ except I didn't bother contacting them to let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

I ended up saving almost €300 by shopping around. I was with my current insurer for five years. Is it purely about getting new customers regardless of how many loyal customers you lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It's about getting as many new customers in the category they want and pricing out categories of existing customers they want to leave and go elsewhere, It doesn't matter if you, personally, have never been a problem to their bottom line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Car: 2020 Kia Soul EV

NCB: 7

No points or convictions

Last year with "Its4Women": €420

Renewal: €760

My last year quote was based on a 2019 Ioniq PHEV and I changed cars this year. Was not expecting the renewal to come in as almost double what I paid last year! Went the usual route of online quotes from everyone who has a system and got quotes ranging from €400 to over €1000. Eventually settled with Liberty for €420, fully comp with all extras (that I wanted).

If a current insurance company sends an off the wall quote like the above, I take it that they don't want my business any longer. Loyalty is a mug's game when it comes to car insurance so always shop around, even if you are happy with the renewal quote. I don't give second chances or call the "old" insurance company to get them to move on price at renewal time if I can find an equivalent for cheaper elsewhere. If they have movement on a renewal quote then they are being disingenuous and should just send out their cheapest quote at the time with no messing.

Post edited by Miscreant on

100% That's a shocking renewal price, so much for EV's being cheaper to insure, they're just taking the urine with that price😡😡😡

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Absolutely, I almost fainted when I saw it! Definitely pays to shop around though. 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Car: 2010 E220 Coupe

NCB: 10+

No points or convictions

Last year with "Sullivan Insurances": €646

Renewal: €880

I reckon I'm just forever cursed to be higher for no reason. I did shop around and got a quote from An Post, full comp, a few extras that I wouldn't normally have, full NCD protection, €670. Still far higher than my cheapest ever, about 10 years ago, ~€380. The only difference between then and now, is I no longer use it to commute as I WFH, I'm doing about half the mileage as a result, and I rarely go outside the county compared to driving all over Ireland for the craic at that time, and I'm no longer a potential target of scummers due to my job.

Makes zero sense to me. This is with reports in Feb that claim costs were down 40%. Limerick is the 3rd highest premium county in Ireland allegedly. They'll just make up whatever suits them I suppose.

AnPost mentioned up to 20% more off if you have an advanced driving course done with RoSPA, IAM or Diamond Advanced Motoring. All 3 companies are in the UK........ Are there any Irish based ones that do actually result in an insurance discount? Most ones I see advertised don't fill me with confidence, and seem like a scam insofar as they're not offical?

It's also extremely frustrating to see people with less driving experience, and even some recent claims, in more powerful cars, getting cheaper quotes....

Advertisement