Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Woohoo the " terrorist ticking time bomb " as well 😯

Let's get it all out there !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They could.

But the European citizens aren't destroying their documents before coming here

Granted that is the difficulty especially when from countries where there is no way of checking .

But what I and others are saying here is the risk is being overhyped .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭suvigirl

So what? They don't need to tell anyone they're here, they don't need to register their domiciliary. There is no big list of EU citizens that live here, who they are, where they are.

Asylum seekers however, are photographed, fingerprinted, and their place of residence is registered and known. So, while you're correct that some may come in with no documents or false documents, at least we have some record of them.

Unlike those rapists and murderers from the EU.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

Why are you trying to make fun of this? Do you think Ireland is exempt ?

have a read up on the London Bridge knife attacks and where some of the attackers were living in the years before. That could very easily have been Dublin that was attacked instead.

youre showing a lot of naivety here.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

I’d they’ve no id put them on the next flight out. You’ll soon see the numbers drop. The Gov could sort this out if they really wanted it to. We’ve seen how they could lock a whole country down a few years ago.

Laughing my axx off at the various bogeys being trotted out :)

Incredible that you can leave your house everyday !

Do you not u understand the word multicultural ?

In fairness the comparison was with so called " vetting " which is nothing to do with either group .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Refugee numbers are generally much smaller than 'regular' immigration though. I think I read that only 10% or so of migrants in a given year are asylum seekers or refugees (2022 was a very strange and unusual year of course with the arrival of 80,000 Ukrainian people).

• Advertisement

The general conversation on here about asylum seekers is that, they are taking our housing.....even though they are not, they are being mostly houses in hotels, old barracks, unused offices etc, so must be other non Irish taking our housing.

Also, we don't know who they are!!!! They could be any rapists, murderers etc.....except we do know where they are and we have their names, photographs and fingerprints.......but we don't know anything about the EU citizens living here.

Merely pointing out that the usual arguments made against refugees and asylum seekers are pure rubbish and being spread to rise discontent and fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I agree destroying ID is a disgraceful situation. It needs a European wide agreement to return passengers on the next flight to their airport of origin if they arrive without ID. It should be easy to capture and distribute ID at point of departure.

That works for those arriving on flights. Illegal immigrants claiming asylum with no ID is another scenario entirely. Where do you send them?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The ID they are destroying may well be fake and invalid. It's estimated that around 40% of (genuine) refugees don't have a passport and have never held one. If they are fleeing a war or civil war, they are probably people who have never even been outside their own country before.

I don't doubt it for a second. There are many reasons why the vetting demands are a complete red herring.

Micheal Martin touched on all this in his LLS interview on Friday, saying that around 35m or 40m people are currently displaced worldwide (for all sorts of reasons : even climate change). It's a whole new ball game and is going to be very difficult to solve.

I have been saying that for a long time. The thread title is meaningless. The numbers now will pale into insignificance in the decades to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I don't think we should be accepting refugees from Africa or the middle East I think most refugees who come here are coming from EU country's

This... vetting ...along with statements and posts on this very thread are straight out of far right playbook.

A poster said there was no such thing as far right in Ireland . Utter cxxp.

Some of the stuff ...word for word ... is coming straight from The National Party's social media page.

These and the Irish Freedom Party are far right groups with neo nazi links and known activists who are involved with those groups in Europe .

Others here are just repeating what they have seen and heard on social media and I hope they don't know who is feeding them this verbiage full of prejudice and false claims .

. Or maybe they do know who is feeding it ...then we are really in trouble .

I don't want to end up like UK and Sweden but we have to recognise that our world has changed utterly and deal with it . Our governments need to deal with it and faster if they want to keep the far right out .

@BlueSkyDreams They don't send aid anymore because of war , corruption and the inability to ensure aid reaches those who need it , the people who are fleeing here .

There are still programs of aid ongoing but they are futile if people cannot live there anymore .

Apparently decreasing along with a decrease in those presenting without ID , whether that trend will continue or not .

Last year was hopefully a year unlike any other .

A lot will depend on the war .

The Irish Times 1st March 2023 .

www.irishtimes.com

Sharp decrease in number of asylum seekers arriving in Ireland recorded

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

I suppose we have two groups forming with different views on our gvmt's farming of the thousands of unchecked 18-30 year-old asylum-seeking men popping up all over the country:

- Group A (85% plus): WTAF?!  

- Group B (<15%): are thinking let's make up all the excuses under the moon and the stars so they don't have to confront the cruel reality that the "mammy & daddy" govmt, that they're desperately craving for, doesn't care about them in any way, whatsoever, at all. This would be the cohort that believe the latest explanation from the Irish govmt that some of these youths are in fact honourable husbands who were forced to desert their families - you simply cannot make this up, LOL!!!!

• Advertisement

As usual groups form on Boards.

This thankfully does not reflect real life just the age group, demographic and level of debate and trolling on a particular thread.

So nothing unusual here then.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

The actual “far right” in Ireland are literally just a bunch of fringe weirdos Gemma O’Doherty types

They're hardly a force to be reckoned with when they’ve not a single elected representative and poll less than 1% of the electorate.

Should keep an eye on them (as with any extremists) of course but as it stands they’re a non entity.

Complete media bogeyman, plenty of scaremongering going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Yes in real life people just bury their head in the sand and hope everything is OK.

Blissfully unaware that every person added to the social housing net makes it harder for them to buy a home and more likely to be outbid by a council.

In real life we disapprove of things like debate..

Golden girl, and apologies there have been many many posts, so you may have answered already

Do you think there should be a limit, if so what limit?

What proposals do you think we should use to the next 10 k?

On rejection of asulym should people be forcebly deported?

Once asulym is granted how long should a person be allowed remain in a DP/Hotel at a cost to the taxpayer?

Have the government in your opinion, handled this well or badly?

I didn't say there was no impact, of course there is. It's no different to people from other countries coming here.

Refugees from Ukraine can work on arrival here. Asylum seekers can work after the first 6 months. There is no reason for you to promote the idea that they will be a burden on the state.

We are extremely rich, and I would agree that the government are not doing a good job, clearly they cannot use the money correctly in this country. Where I differ is that I blame the government for that, not the people coming into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If the bus is full and people are trying to get on, I blame the bus company for not having enough busses, but I also think you're an ass if you keep on trying to get into a full bus.

That's not exactly true. Maybe you haven't seen what happens at these protests, but I have.

And maybe you haven't been in Twitter, but the whole thing is a platform for the far right.

The 'far right ' are not just god & her bunch of crazies, they're a lot more clever then Gemma. They have come up with many reasonable sounding slogans to sway people towards them. 'ireland for the Irish ' etc. This sounds very reasonable until you understand what they are actually doing. Making refugees and asylum seekers out to be 2nd class citizens, to be less then Irish. Not as important as human beings as other nationalities.

We have seen this type of behavior over and over again in many wars, years leading to wars.

They are not the loud lunatics you write off, they are the reasonable sounding gentlemen, slowly changing the way reasonable people think.

And yes, of course they are being monitored, but the rise in far right sympathies greatly outweighs the rise in foreign nationals.

Doesn't make sense as an analogy.

Also, Ireland isn't full, don't fall for those witty slogans from the Irish freedom party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

I have seen these protests, they get wall to wall coverage. I don’t see baying mobs of thousands - it’s generally a handful of marginalised losers taking out their anger through threats and violence. Not at all representative of the general public.

It’s a good thing decisions in the country are made based on votes, not twitter, isn’t it so. In any case your characterisation is entirely subjective - what is far right for some is centre for others and vice versa. Some might also suggest twitter is a platform for the far left.

And you are correct, this kind of behaviour has led to wars in the past. The government currently couldn’t be playing it better if they want to grow the right. Housing and health crisis, populace feeling left behind by their government while (often illegitimate) outsiders appear to get preferential treatment. Exactly the kind of conditions that allows the “actual” far right to fester and flourish. This is another reason the government needs to moderate their policies with regard to the refugee crisis, lest we see the rise of a genuine far right movement.

Advertisement