Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I disagree, we are full. We might not be physical space wise and there's jobs there, but we are in terms of housing, healthcare, guards, education and transport. We need more resources to cater for more people, and it shouldn't be a we bring people in and hope the resources appear. We need to deal with the lack we have now and then plan for future population increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yes government do need to do more, they don't need to pander to far right sentiment however.

We need a government that can manage the country correctly, use the huge amount of money they have correctly and get services in order, no matter what the original nationality of the population.

No we are not.

We are badly managed. Sure isn't there a thread on boards about what we should do with the extra billions we have!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Define full. In India, you would happily climb onto the roof just to get the bus.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

We are full.

We can't treat our sick adequately or house our people. There's people sleeping in army barracks and in tents on the street. How more full can you get !?

• Advertisement

Of course we can, we have the money to do it, we just have extremely bad managers

Of course we can, we have the money to do it, we just have extremely bad managers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Do you not accept that if we're going to accept unlimited numbers of refugees as you believe we should we're never going to be able to provide the numbers of healthcare workers, GPs,accommodation etc to cope?, we'll always be playing catchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So everyone is in agreement in theory we are not full.

In reality we are full in terms of housing and the people managing housing are useless and never going to sort it out.

So we are going to end up with people living on the street.

These people are going to resent others who are in accomadation.

Irish people on housing lists years are going to resent foreigners getting houses while they cannot.

We will see an increase in violence and a once peaceful country will be a shtthole.

The far right that the government and do gooders are so concerned about will grow in popularity.

While the government and do gooders will be scratching their heads wondering how we ended up there.

While anyone with a bit of common sense can see the government are do gooders are creating what they are so fearful of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Direct your anger at the government, they alone are responsible for both policy and its enactment.

Don't look around for nondescript scapegoats ("the do gooders", they, others etc), which then allows the same people to justify voting for the same failed fianna fail and fianna gael policies again and again and again....................

• Advertisement

The FFG government created a health crisis and housing crisis long before the Ukrainians and others arrived. We had the longest lockdowns during Covid because our health system has very little capacity. Enda Kenny promised to end the Trolley crisis over 10 years ago.

Our doctors and nurses are emigrating in large numbers due to the housing crisis and terrible working conditions.

That's all on FFG.

There is a strain on gp’s and schools , and local facilities are being taken away without consultation to provide substandard housing for refugees

it’s not ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Maybe stop relying on Twitter and social media in general as your barometer for these things would be a start. Twitter is a cesspool and there's just as much "far left" as there is "far right" - but in reality what they really are are a bunch of narcissists craving attention, validation and virtual friends.

As I've said before, in the real world, in Ireland we are one of the most easy-going, accepting and tolerant populations on the planet. It takes a LOT for people to start pushing back beyond grumbling in the pub. The last time of note was the Irish Water protests of 2014 because it was - just like this - a national issue being pushed by an unpopular Government and with a lot bad decisions, poor judgement, and controversy surrounding it.

They were right to protest then. They're right now. This ridiculous "strategy" is one that those people know will negatively affect them and their families for decades and probably generations - just as it has elsewhere in Europe. That's not "far right" propaganda. That's empirical evidence and simple logic having seen the effects in places like Germany, France and Sweden for the past decade or so.

Ireland is not somehow special or exempt from these effects. We just haven't seen them to the same degrees yet and that's only because we aren't as far down this path as those countries, but make no mistake, it'll be no different here. FFS, aside from all of that, stop and look at the track record of this and the previous Governments (as it's mostly the same people anyway), and then try to convince yourself that "THIS time it'll be different!"

Let me know how that goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

The Introduction of the "Ending Direct Provision" policy was the watershed moment. Human trafficking into Dublin Airport has exploded and bogus Asylum seeker claims by migrants are the norm now,not genuine Asylum claims.

Bad policy by a direct hand of a bad goverment. Increasing the resources to support this bad policy is just putting more and more strain on society and leading to more extremisim(for and against) and crime.

The department Policy needs a U-turn and a major clampdown on airlines that are facilitating this human trafficking needs to have been done yesterday.

Reading the Press releases this week shows that that penny hasn't dropped with the government yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Deleted

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Would you be happy to do so? You would in your eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

⬇️IMO In essence she’s writing to say you’re making a complete balls of yourselves. Sort yourselves out, work together as a government and do something that’s sustainable. Pretty embarrassing for them no doubt.

The Council of Europe’s Commissioner for Human Rights, Duna Mijatović has written to the Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, to raise concern about the challenges faced in providing adequate reception and accommodation for asylum seekers arriving in the Republic.

One of the top officials in Europe’s leading human rights body has expressed concern about the severe lack of accommodation faced by people seeking international protection in Ireland and fears it was adding to “anti-refugee sentiment.” 

In a letter that was also addressed to the Minister for Integration, Roderic O’Gorman, and the Minister for Housing, Darragh O’Brien, Ms Mijatović said the situation given the wider housing crisis in Ireland could contribute to a growing anti-refugee sentiment which had already led to several worrying incidents.

Ms Mijatović has called on the Irish authorities to comprehensively review and address structural shortcomings of the international protection system. The commissioner also said Ireland should develop a sustainable approach towards the accommodation of refugees and asylum seekers within its broader housing policy.

“The scale and complexity of the prevailing reception crisis call for a whole-of-government approach,” she added.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

There is no reason to think refugees and asylum seekers will be a burden on the state folks!

C'mon suvigurl who do u work for?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

AFAIK all refugees get a medical card. Throwing out 100k medical cards last year puts an overburdened system even closer to collapse.

The HSE is having a hard time recruiting from abroad with no houses/ cost of renting. Roderick n Helen mcenteee are having no such problems with asylum seeker amnesty's and promises of own door accommodation after 4 months.

Agreed and I am asking for Option 2 too. It's not that simple though and there is a big picture view too. I am not sure how Option 2 is possible with the government and EU being clearly clueless. If we shut down 'legal' routes, how will we handle the illegal entrants? Once they enter UK, they have free access to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So a letter has been written to Leo from some idiot in the EU saying we are in breach of its regulations in being able to house refugees.

Been lectured to by some high up EU bureaucrat.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Probably not this time, but he will use it as an excuse for why we must "do more" and "far right" something something.....

I truly believe Leo and MM have EU jobs in their sights. They don't care.

Look at that absolute charlatan Eamonn Gilmore. Our former Tanaiste is happily enjoying his EU role as Special Representative for Human Rights and you never hear a murmur out of him. That's the game these chancers play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

IMO if you read between the lines she’s actually criticising them more than that. Pretty much saying their approach is uncoordinated and the government needs to unify across departments and change its current approach and incorporate the housing needs of the Irish people as well or resentment will grow. That’s my take on it anyway, people are free to disagree.

Do you want me to tell you how to use your vote?

Are there no other parties that run in your constituency than Fianna fail or fianna gael?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

The problem is the damage will be done long before a general election is called

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I’ve read the whole thread, go back and read my posts they are in ones with the most likes calling for a sensible approach. Tents in fields behind barbed wire fenses controlled by the military and a fast rejection rate for those passing through safe countries trying to game the lax asylum system.

• Advertisement

I think most people should be asking for a decent working government.

Advertisement