Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Looks like Crawford vs Spence finally got confirmed for July 29.

Post edited by normanoffside on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Lara-Wood really is an intriguing fight. For plenty parts of their fight, Wood showed he could clearly compete and outbox and outmuscle Lara. He also can hurt, discourage and trouble Lara. If Wood tidies up defence a bit, and really lays it on when he has Lara troubled, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

It's actually going to be a great year for boxing if things go to plan. Davis vs Garcia. Lomachenko vs Haney. Plant vs Benavidez. Inoue vs Fulton. Crawford vs Spence. Canelo vs Ryder. Taylor vs Lopez and many less glamorous but still qualify fights. If we can just get Fury vs Usyk and Bivol vs Beterbiev it would be one of the best years for a long time.

Watched it again, I'm sticking with robbery.

Loma bossed the fight. At my most charitable I could give Haney 5 rounds.

Lomachenko had him on the backfoot and never looked bothered by Haney's shots. He gobbled them up. Dictated the fight.

UD for Haney?? ROBBERY!

I'll go one further...CORRUPTION... keeping the new golden Yankee goose.

And people wonder why Youtubers get so much attention.

So really you’ve said nothing here. Calling it robbery. That’s about it, really. No analysis, breakdown, reasoning. All you have is Loma dictated the fight. He didn’t . Both them did!

I reckon you’ve just checked compubox and are hanging your hat on this.

I watched it twice, and like your maintaining it a robbery, I maintain anyone calling it a robbery hasn’t a fooking notion

you also claimed GGG-Canelo II a robbery. That call is absolute laughable.

• Advertisement

Beterbiev/Callum Smith Aug 19.

hope Beterbiev steamrolls him…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

dubois v usyk purse bid was won by usyks promotion company and is going to be in poland in early august

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

im guessing that’s why it went to purse bids

£1 from usyks team

99p from Frank - he dodged another bullet

The internet isn’t for everyone

$8m

Dubois will get $2m.

frank bid just under $6m.

Dubois would be crazy to turn it down. I don’t see him ever getting a payday like that again.

• Advertisement

And even forgetting pay, a chance to fight for (at least what used to be) sports richest prize. Yes, WBC (lineal) is not on the line, but several belts are.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Picking Wood, Lopez and Okolie. All by decision. :)

Looks like Lara vs Wood could be off.

Apparently Lara weighed in too heavy on a Wednesday weight check so the BBofC refused to let him weigh in at Featherweight.

he weighed in at 130lbs.

Huh? 4 lbs over with 48 hrs to go and they not allowing it proceed?!

No I think he was something like 134 lbs on Wednesday so they said it was not safe for him to weigh less than 128.5lbs today. So he was effectively forced to miss weight.

Ok. So 134 (8 lbs over) with 48 hours to go is high alright.

I think it's just a BBofC rule. In other jurisdictions he would have been allowed to cut 8lbs in 2 days and he probably could have done if allowed to do so. He was probably just coming off a transatlantic flight and as a result holding a lb or two more in water weight than normal.

It kind of makes a mockery of the fight now if it does go ahead, no title on the line for Lara but surely Wood is already at a huge disadvantage given that Lara didn't have to cut weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Even if Dubois loses this fight it’s a great profile fight for him. If he wins then he names his own money. He can’t turn down a go at the belts.

So Wood came in on the weight and if he wins, he is new champion. Lara came in at 129.x

stripped of belt

Yeah but Lara only came in heavy because the BBofC said that if he came in under 128.5 they would cancel the fight. Now Wood is at a serious disadvantage.

The whole thing is a shambles.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t call it a serious disadvantage. Wood can now relax and add weight.

We’re taking a few lbs. Lara was 129, not like he was strolling to the scales at 135 all fresh and fed.

I agree it’s unfair that Wood cuts to make weight and Lara doesn’t; I just think a “serious disadvantage” is an exaggeration.

If I was team Wood I’d try see the advantage. The discipline and professionalism of my boxer versus the confusion and stress of the opponent (who is struggling to make weight and struggling to do things properly). It’s not like Lara didn’t even try. He still came in sub 130.

This shambles (for Lara) should be seen by Wood and his team as their advantage. Let’s be honest, it’s 3-4 lbs on a scales. Tomorrow night all is forgotten.

and can’t be at all nice (advantageous) knowing you’ve just had your world title taken off you

Looking at the weighin video, Lara looked very gaunt in the face and had to strip off just to get under 130.

Maybe the BBofC were right.

I think we won’t see Lara at featherweight again after this.

When you also factor in that Wood has the relaxed comforts of being the home fighter and Lara having to proper travel, I think Wood’s in a good place here

You're wrong on two points.

Lomachenko was robbed in this fight and GGG was robbed in the FIRST fight vs Canelo.

Read more carefully.

The only right/wrong here is your not having a notion of how professional judges judge boxing matches!

and no reason at all for me to read more carefully: You may need to brush up on your memory though. You on April 16, 11:49 pm

“I think Eagle Eye is grossly overrating Joe Joyce - a 37 year old that has beaten even less than me. 

Let's not get carried away though, GGG quite clearly beat Canelo in the first two fights.”

Post edited by walshb on

Lol when you're using boxing judges as your mountain to die on.

Just let it go. You called the result corruption without a shred of evidence bar your own silly logic about scoring bouts.: That being, if I don’t agree with then it’s corruption. Laughable.

And you also claimed both GGG-Canelo fights were roberries..

but at least you did get something right: you picked Tank to beat the quitter, Garcia!!!😅

Again, kid, you're still dying on Mt. Boxing Judge.

I can admit when I'm wrong, I watch fights back - good ones repeatedly.

The first GGG vs. Cancelo was a thorough robbery...CORRUPTION - keeping the golden goose cooking.

I personally scored the 2nd fight for GGG but I can understand the MD for Canelo.

As for the third...GGG was how old?

Under no circumstance can I see a UD for Haney.

• Advertisement

Ok, so you can understand the MD for Canelo in fight 2, yet you said GGG clearly won both, and fight 1 was corruption. You have me head spinning, so we’ll say goodnight now!!!

Advertisement