Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The UK was never a cornerstone of the EU. It was always something of a reluctant member. Since 2010, the Tories have gutted public services, enacted Brexitm, trashed the economy, embraced white nationalism, encourage corruption and have travelled a significant way down the road to fascism by suppressing free speech. Not sure you're on solid ground with that one.

Modern conservatism is just ethnic nationalism. It has nothing of value and poses an existential thread to Western values.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Big difference between right wing and far right despite your attempts to pretend otherwise.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I see far right are now also trying to murder asylum seekers/refugees in Buncrana

Post edited by Annasopra on

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

That story reads like some youngfella threw a banger on the roof. Scumbag thing to do, but hardly attempted murder.

Two stories on it say significant/substantial damage, but no photos at all of said damage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I see that professional troll and racist Taki Theodoracopulos has published a piece in the Spectator defending the Nazis. I won't link it as I don't want to be driving traffic towards fascist publications.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

Most contributors are simply acting as provocateurs - either trying to get traffic or to get people talking.

I wouldn't take those pieces too seriously.

Deleted

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,703 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Have you proof of that or sprouting shite. Reminds of a poster on here were saying GBNews would be gone 6 months after it opened, funny that station is still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Go read mcguirks whinge about needing donations on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Stalinist censorship via secret laws. Sounds crazy? It's today's HMG, actions that would make old Joe proud being taken by Rees-Mogg:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,834 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

wrong threadbor.

Post edited by Overheal on

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Remember the news of the arrest at the time but hadn't seen anything about it until today.

Getting to be a growing problem again in the U.K. but not surprising with the likes of ferage taking shite

Post edited by I.R.Y.E.D on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

“They have to read for me because I’m not an expert,” Salinas told JTA. “I’m not a reader. I’m not a book person. I’m a mom involved in my children’s education.”

Yet she was able to get books banned…

FFS.

It's really hilarious how people on this site continuously claim there is no far right in Ireland and continuously pretend they are not a threat just because Justin Barrett didn't get elected.

Fire in moville never happened

Fire in rooskey never happened

Threats to burn down hotel in wicklow never happened

Threats to burn hotel in Kildare never happened

Fire and attempted arson in buncrana never happened

Fire in Sandwith street never happened

SF TDs car was never firebombed

Fire threats threats in Finglas never happened

Protests outside DP centres screaming to get them out never happened

Abuse of librarians never happened

Ripping up books in libraries never happened

Firework at anti lock down protest never happened

Beating Izzy Kamikaze with a plank never happened

Beating 70 year old in Corofin never happened

Calls to stamp on Presidents head never happened

Abusive homophic Protests outside Leo Varadkars home never happened

Man arrested for incitement to hatred in Finglas who had called for vigilante take over of Garda Station and extermination of Jews never happened

Terry Pratchet

I don't find it remotely hilarious. I find it to be utterly deranged and deceitful. They're attempted to normalise the far right, fascism and violence IMO.

Nobody has said the far-right doesn't exist in Ireland. It exists in every country in the world.

Lunatic far-right extremism will always be condemned.

But almost nobody supports it, apart from a tiny fraction of basement-dwelling losers with nothing else going on in their lives. A violent miniscule fraction of the population is just that.

But this idea that they may somehow become the mainstream in this country is so preposterous, it's not even worth debating. As silly as suggesting the BNP would become mainstream in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

votets in Ireland certainly don’t want a far right movement becoming in anyway significant but the NGO complex certainly does , right now, supply is falling massively short of demand , there are good careers to be made in fighting phantom dangers

Post edited by tesla_newbie on

Terry Pratchet

Why on earth would NGOs want far right when far right tries to undermine NGOs and destroy them at every opportunity. Makes no sense.

Terry Pratchet

NGOs are largely self-interested bodies who need to perpetuate their existence, especially when their primary goal has been achieved. There are strong financial reasons for those at the top to invent new reasons for the NGO to exist or expand, even if those reasons are based on false pretences. The last thing they'll do is argue for the closure of the NGO and the consequent loss of income / status that came with it.

Of course, this isn't a blanket dismissal of NGOs, but we can't be blind to this obvious reality either.

• Advertisement

so do you think NGO Grifters like mark malone at “ The Far Right Observatory “ would be happy to see the far right completely vanish?

even hustlers have to eat

But the problem is far-right policies and ideas are now influencing mainstream policies, so these lunatic fringe parties will get more supporters, and the mainstream parties on the right will try and woo them back with even more outrageous right wing policies.

Look at it working in the UK with threatening to deport immigrants to Rwanda. There’s no way that would have happened even in Thatchers time. Lowell’s River of Blood speech was roundly criticised at the time. Nowadays they might make him Home Secretary!

Or how Incompetent Ron trafficked asylum seekers over state lines in the US.

Or the war against Trans people.

Or the war against abortion rights.

All these have started off as far-right ideas which have quite quickly become mainstream.

No. Makes no sense

The far right wants to destroy certain groups and lots of NGOs because of what some of them stand for; minority groups, democracy, human rights, rule of law.

Terry Pratchet

False pretences. 🤣

Here we go again with all the drivel that everything I mentioned above never happened.

You're great for trotting out all the usual far right propaganda

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

Far-right means fascist.

Whilst I understand your reasons for disagreeing with many of those positions - including opposition to abortion and so on - that's not far-right.

If you're just going to lump everything you dislike into the fascist box, then fascist and far-right lose their meaning entirely.

Honestly glad to see you make that connection. Now, if you can just manage to stop lumping everything you dislike into the far-left box, we’ll be getting somewhere.

Opposition to abortion is a far-right belief. There’s not a single far-right party that is pro-choice, probably because they are quite often wrapped up in “Christian” ideals.

Opposition to abortion takes many forms. Many people across the entire political spectrum express concerns about abortion. You mock Christian beliefs, but opposition to abortion is just as widespread in Muslim-majority countries. Are they all far-right too?

The same is true of the migration question too (Labour voters overwhelmingly want migration controls etc.).

Your analysis that these complex questions are all "far right" is simplistic and wrong.

• Advertisement

The “ trans rights “ agenda is far left , the average person opposes the trans agenda like the drive to indoctrinate kids in school about it

Advertisement