Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My butcher put away some beef tendons for me which I put in the freezer. Finally got around to cooking them on Monday. Tendon is popular in Chinese cooking. They don't taste of very much but have a lovely texture if you like that kind of thing. Loadsa collagen. They take about 3 hours to cook.

I made a beef tendon noodle soup. It was delicious. Mixed bone stock. Tendon. Egg noodles. Cucumber. Wild leek. Fermented chillies. Spring onion. Coriander.

Next day I did a cold dish. It's very chewy cold but still nice and softens as it warms in your mouth. It was just thin slices of tendon in a dressing of soy sauce, vinegar, chillies, sesame oil and sugar, finished with spring onions and coriander.

There's still some left but it will probably end up in the bones bag in the freezer for my next stock.

Tendon is lovely 😍

Perhaps not for everyone, though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Few dinners of late.

A beef chilli stir fry on top. Probably the closest we can get, in our house, to mimicking a high-end Chinese or Thai style takeaway.

If there is a 'secret' to it, it's only to flour the beef strips and fry them off in such a way as they actually brown properly... Don't do what literally every Irish person does and get impatient and throw in the whole lot into the pan to 'save time', and have them end up just stewing in a bath of their own collective juices.

On bottom, this is chicken peri peri, and then some chicken that was also done over charcoal, but doesn't have the marinade.

The blackening effect on the peri peri is related to the sugar content in the marinade, I guess. This is a Diana Henry peri peri recipe, which I've found is pretty authentic in terms of what you'll get at a Portuguese chicken shack.

Although I used pieces of breast and thigh, off the bone, for convenience sake. They'd chop up a whole bird.

The marinade (and it doubles as sauce, if you have put some that hasn't had chicken in it aside) is predominately red pepper, red chilli, oil, salt etc. Straightforward, very fresh tasting, I'd recommend it as a summer dish.

Tonight... Biyriani.

Chicken thighs, chick peas.

It's a Leon one pot recipe.

Not sure about the tomato in the raita... Bit unorthodox.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Wednesday, it was a new recipe - essentially a tortilla with fried potatoes and eggs, but filled with caramelised onions and cheese. Very yummy indeed 😁

And yesterday, it was a quick one. Glazed tofu and egg fried rice with a bit of sriracha.

Potato, eggs, onion, cheese... A match made in heaven.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Chips and salad is such a good combo. Some broccoli under that too to go with the cheese and onion pie. (Jackie Lennox chipper).

With sweet chilli sauce. And crispy onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭con747

The only thing I miss about city living, a good selection of takeaways. Mine are crap where I live, all 4 of them 🙄

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Few pizzas. Need to up they hydration of the dough but it’s nearly where I want it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That moment when your prawns are ready to go into your risotto and you realise ... you haven't deveined them. Leading to panicked hacking, and a slightly overcooked but still quite tasty final dish. Used the shells for making a stock earlier in the day.

Chicken, cheese and onion quesadilla with corn and black bean salad.

Mojo Picon from Lidl, nice and garlicky.

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

Smashed and baked baby potatoes with pecorino and pesto, asparagus and a tahini harrissa sauce. Felt a bit like summer 🌞

Not to me anyway... it's garlicky; hope you like it!

I haven't tried the ailoi yet, in the same range. Worth stocking up if they're good! I didn't care much for the green mojo though.

It's fine, it's just a bit meh. Lacking depth. Feels like it's missing something. It's grand, but not much more.

I didn't think it was herby enough, a bit bland (I like strong flavours!).

Shallow fried aubergine cordon bleu type thing an Italian friend of mine suggested as I could never warm to aubergines. They're pretty good, though supposed to use mozzarella and I didn't have any so used blue cheese. Probably nicer with mozz. Also had some leftover risotto to make arancini out of.

cool - something different - not a lover of aubergine either

• Advertisement

They're a bit like tofu for me. The texture can be really unpleasant when not cooked right, and they don't really have a lot of flavour by themselves. But once I learned how to do them right, they've become one of my favourite things to eat.

Still would never order them in a restaurant because the risk of them being done badly is just too high 😅

I find aubergine can soak up a phenomenal amount of oil when frying. Something to be careful of.

They're very much like mushrooms that way, very spongey

Salting the aubergines helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

People tend to put oil in the pan when cooking aubergines. Better to brush with oil. Lovely cooked over a high heat on a griddle pan or a bbq.

Ciaran Cuddihy was talking about why we should be eating aubergines on NT - didn't get to hear much of it though

Nah. I don't think it'll be the aubergines that'll take me out tbh!

EDIT: OOPS: I thought you said why we should NOT be eating aubs, nightshade family etc. nonsense!

I love aubergines with basil, sausage and rigatoni 😋

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

I read it as not eating aubergines, too!

The mind is a funny thing...

I have some Cajun chicken skewers ready to be air fried, a prepped black bean and corn salad (again), and I'm going to attempt to make Spanish rice, but with brown basmati. I am NOT confident!

• Advertisement

Lamb skewers. Leg of lamb marinated in lemon zest, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, s&p and olive oil, grilled on gas grill.

Garlic scrapes sautéed with garlic and lemon. Never had them before. Lovely but I undercooked them.

Boiled potatoes.

Had lamb skewers with hummus, rocket, tomato salad, chillies and flatbreads, yesterday.

Advertisement