Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

He was widely feted by the west back then if memory serves me Tony blair went to the theatre with him had him over in London while Corbyn protested outside funny how things work out. George Bush praised him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Putin has created thousands of evil humanoids to kill anyone who questions his authority.

The soldiers on the front are scared sure deservedly.

But the real evils IMHO are the ones thousands of miles away arming and firing missiles at innocent civilian targets and supposedly living in similar, hell even having relatives there.

For peace negotiations to work we have to deal in realities not this fantasy land nonsense. I'm interested though why should Russia face such draconian punishments for illegally invading a country and the USA should not?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

For Russia, Hospitals are one of their primary target's because it prevents injured soldiers being treated and their lives saved. It also helps to demoralizes the Citizens, which is also part of the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

As seen in Syria where they were directly responsible for bombing over 100 civilian hospitals and similar number of medical clinics,

Lavrov told the world they were full of terrorists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

So you actually want to engage in whataboutism and not debate. Nice to hear you admit that although I already knew it.

So lets get back to debate. You describe those terms as draconian. Why? Almost all of those points would be to the benefit of the Russian people. Do you agree or not? If not please point out why they would not.

The Leopard ( in this case, the Russian) does not change its spots. And again, killing Men, Women and Children indiscriminately.

First of all my question is valid and you won't answer it because you believe the USA has a right to illegally invade countries and Russia doesn't.

As for your insane list of punishments and resolutions which will never be or ever could be enforced I will simply say this if they ever were enforced they would lead to massive resentment within Russia and no doubt the rise of opposition to them within Russia. For a historical comparison see the Versailles treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

good enough reason for Friday eve vodka drinking fest hugging a photo of certain 'dedushka'.

Sure he was. It was a time of East -West raproachment and co -operation. The communist bogyman was receding into the past, and the future looked brighter than it had in years. So Yes, Putin was feted and proclaimed as a welcome addition to the capitalistic world. And they were prepared to give him a chance. They were the right steps to take back then.

• Advertisement

No Lionel it is not fair, it is whataboutism.

The second part of your answer has no substance it is merely a rant.

What is insane about a 4 year term for a president restricted to 1 term. What is insane about any of the 13 reasonable suggests Lionel. Come on debate don't deflect. Nothing in what I suggested is remotely comparable to Versille, in saying that you fell into a trap. The rebuilding of Ukraine will be paid for by the EU not Russia, everyone already knows that except the clowns. What I am proposing will build a better Russia by removing the scum that has destroyed Russia.

Get off the soapbox and give detail.

Lets not debate. Let them release few more true colors and mods will move them to recycle bin quickly enough.

Firstly and foremostly, Putin only understands Brutality. He must be beaten militarily and economically to the extent that he is completely powerless. The Marshall Plans worked for Germany and Japan, precisely because they were completely defeated. Their futures were imposed on them, and look at how successful these Country's have been?. Russia needs a complete transformation, or else it will keep repeating the same imperialism every few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

The Russian Federation has chosen, in the 21st Century, to engage in a War of Annialation with their neighbour with the clear goal to eliminate and replace anyone deemed undesirable. The actions of their troops have underlined their attitude towards the civilain population. This is not just an opinon, this is a grim proven fact that will resurface with the bones of Russia's victims for years to come. Their punishment should fit that crime.

@paul71 Wrote up a pretty good set of terms. I damn near go further and demand that Putin & Co be handed to Kyiv for trail and that Kaliningrad be handed to Ukraine as part of their compensation (much like how Russia got it in the first place).

Paul's terms are suitably tough for a nation that has behaved like Nazi Germany, but it is a good place to negotiate down from. The restoration of Ukraine's borders and the ouster of Putin would make for a good minimum. The Russians have done a good job demilitarizing themselves, but some form of monitoring would be wise.

No, the mods will only do that if they don't debate. Lionel wants to talk about peace, but refuses to debate, he wants to deflect with whataboutism. I am merely giving the opportunity to do one or the other so the mods have something on which to base a decision.

If he wants to actually debate that is fine with me, I will just shred his argument.

Which is my point exactly.

Russia is sick, but Russian people are not sick.

I will never accept that any race, nationality or ethnic group is sick. Hence I have avoided using terms like orc on this thread, but I do empathise with the reasons others do. It has for the last 1,000 years had 4 rulers. Tzars, Communists, a drunken Gobshite and Putin.

Russia must be changed and the points I have put forward as a basis for a peace discussion are based upon the aim of giving security to Russia's neighbours and creating a framework for Russian people to change Russia for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Because they are going to lose this war they set out on and the losing side takes a big hit. The 'west' stood back too long and the boil needs to be lanced. I'm sure we all would like to get back to a situation where Russians are considered a civilised people and friendly relations can be restored but as of now, they are pariahs and terrorists.

This is truly insane you do know what it took to bring Germany and Japan to that point yeah? How do you propose Russia be brought to that point?

Your friends are already in the war with NATO, they keep saying this for a year now.

And to reverse your own question - do you honestly believe ruZZians can not be beaten by Ukrainians? If you do, then there is a word to describe you (which can not be used here unfortunately).

• Advertisement

They are not my friends I'm just trying to bring some realism to the fantastical nonsense that is spouted here.

150km exclusion is a perfect way to avoid future wars, no-one is/ever has been/ever will be stupid enough to attack a nuclear armed nation. Russia can retain its nuclear deterrent after given 50% to Ukraine.

Do I beleive Ukraine can defeat Russia, they are doing a great job of it prior to the arrival of the serious equipment from NATO by sinking their flagship in the Black Sea, destroying and driving away most of an enormous armoured column away from Kiev and mopping up the elements of that column back to Belarus. Destroying Russia forces in Karkiv and liberating the entire Oblast. Recapturing Kerson, draining the Russian army of 100k casualties in exchange for the capture of town of the importance Tuam. Casterating the Russia airforce. All before any modern air defence or armour from NATO arrived. So yes Ukraine are ripping a whole in the Russian army to the point where Russia will need assistance in 20 years to defend against its real treat, China.

Lastly, you are reported because you can engage in debate and called me a lunatic.

The simple fact is you have nothing Lionel, you cannot debate because you will not use reason. You are an apologist for a despicable regime, and you have no desire to see a better future for the Russian people, never mind a better future for their unfortunate neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

They don't have to be brought to total destruction to accept a defeat.

When Bolsheviks accepted awful terms with Germany in 1918, they did what they felt they had to do to consolidate.

When Germany surrendered later that year, its army was fully intact, but they knew the writing was on the wall and nothing whatsoever would be achieved by resisting other than further destruction and eventual inevitable defeat.

Russia doesn't have to be destroyed in a conventional military sense. It just has to be pushed to a breaking point where people in charge, or those who wish to assume charge, decide that enough is enough and the war must end regardless of the penalties.

I'm not saying those terms listed are realistic, but to a degree whoever comes after Putin will likely be willing to accept unfavorable terms to some extent for the sake of peace.

Because at the end of the day Russia is locked in a completely unwinnable war, literally and in a wider sense, given the extent of sanctions and their international standing being in utter tatters.

History has plenty of examples of surrenders because one side knows it cannot win and will only further suffer in the longer term by prolonging conflict, rather than actually lacking the military means to continue to resist or wage war to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

@paul71

Also suggesting that your 13 points were "insane".

What exactly is "insane" about Point 9: The restoration of Ukraine's internationally recognised pre-2014 borders? Is it "insane" for a nation's sovereignty to be respected...or is it only "insane" when Moscow gets grabby and wants bits of those nations for itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

You're not doing a very good job here, please allow me to assist -

What you are really trying to say is "Mighty, glorious, noble Russia will always triumph in the end"

They won't though, will they?

Now finally we have an answer that is somewhat based off reality what you have outlined is possible and examples given somewhat reasonable. The posts I was previously responding to were crazy talking about WW2 and occupation of Russia exclusion zones etc etc.

You pick out the most sensible point and ignore the insanity of the rest of it but that is only a realistic outcome if Ukraine is victorious on the battlefield this counter offensive will have to be an unqualified success for point 9 to happen.

Please point out where I said that? My opinion is that neither side will obtain victory and that the war will drag on as a bloody stalemate before eventually hard compromises will have to be made by both sides around the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It can be done, it might just take 50 years of military aid and economic sanctions, so be it.

• Advertisement

Point 9 is the basis of the UN charter. It is also the basis of all peace in Europe since 1945. Not is it just reasonable, it is fundemental to peace on the entire planet.

Sure why not let Austria have a go at Italy for the Tirol, Italy have a go at France for Nice, Germany have a go at France for Stasbourg, Ireland have a go at the UK for Newry, Uk have a go at Ireland for Clones, Poland have a pop at Belarus for its lost 1945 lands and Finland invade the Karelia.

Honestly Mick and Claires Lackeys just to not engage in the most simplistic analysis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement