Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Paul has become more unhinged than usual in his recent dail ranting. He knows this is his last bite of the dail cherry, and he it trying hard to fly his hard left flag before next election. SF pulled in double the quota last time and could easily have held a 2nd seat, a mistake they won't make again. Last time round, it took the elimination of his party colleague to get him elected at the 8th count.

The vote to send a NS ship to the med is the way of the future, and it would have been unanimous, except for PBP. We should trust both houses of our government enough. It seems PBP does not. It relies on Russia and China to approve our foreign policy decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Maybe someone more knowledgeable on these matters can add a bit of light to this for me. As I understand it, Norway a NATO member, also has a strong record in UN peacekeeping and more widely in peace broking, mediation etc and indeed hosts the Nobel prize ceremonies etc. AFAIK Norway was never accused of being dragged into US conflicts. While it had personnel in Afghanistan, as did we, it enjoys a good reputation internationally as an honest broker. It’s NATO involvement, obviously motivated by its WW2 occupation, is for its self defence. I wonder is this a parallel we should be looking to in terms of debate on our future security arrangements while we wax on about our neutrality, ex colonial experience etc etc ? Here we will hear about being dragged in US / UK conflicts etc when this gets underway..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You're right about WW2 of course and Norway's bitter experience of occupation and subjugation.

But in the post-war era, Norway also had to contend with the major headache of security for its massive oil fields and other natural and environmental resources, in what is a big, sparsely populated and often inhospitable land. For those reasons, the mutuality of NATO membership made good sense to Norway and it's people.

But, in these times, the consequences of Article 5 Treaty obligations have never been more stark, or closer to being enacted on a broad scale, than they are right now with Russia's hegemonic behaviour.

This means, in plain terms, if the Baltics or Poland or Finland or Romania suffered direct aggression (even cyber) Norway's full military resources could be called upon to fight on land, sea and air to protect them. And that's not nothing.

In my opinion, in Ireland's current disastrous state of strength and readiness, our priority must be to build capabilities and to seek bespoke partnership solutions for our security priorities in cyber, airspace and the EEZ.

In short, we couldn't really add much to NATO at the moment and we wouldn't be able for all of its commitments. It's also a stick that is used to beat any argument about Defence/non-alignment in Ireland so would be far better to frame the discussion with not joining NATO as a given. Certainly not without a specific referendum on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭roadmaster

KCC Local Cllrs trying to get there hands on housing in the curragh. You would hope the DOD would be telling KCC that property is going to be used for service members

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭sparky42

FFS, why is it that it seems everyone thinks the answer to housing is take land/houses/barracks from the DF? How many vacant/disused units does Kildare council have on the books that they might look to first?

• Advertisement

The “Part of NATO means the end of peacekeeping” is just shite from the Left and PANA types, there’s nothing that would stop a nation doing both (hence why we serve alongside NATO forces currently), and as if any side in a conflict is going to stop and ask “which Nation are you from and what is it’s foreign policy position regarding NATO”. That said given the state we are in right now, I really doubt NATO wants another deadweight (the worst actually).

Interesting comments from Martin regarding our position on the veto on EU FP and Defence as well today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Time to park some tanks outside the council offices!

Because if elected reps had to ask the profesionals working in the Various departments in the councils why they have so much housing stock empty they might not get the pothole filled in for mary and joe

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mupper2

DF

Interesting comment from the head of the NCSC, that Ireland has been providing "Non lethal aid" to Ukraine?

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/oireachtas/2023/05/23/ransomware-attacks-still-most-pressing-cyber-security-risk-in-ai-era-tds-to-hear/

• Advertisement

The ‘Norway type’ approach (soon to be joined by Sweden and Finland - no slouches either on the UN / humanitarian piece) should be articulated, as the usual loud mouths will hog the airways. The issue as I see it is will the Government take an approach in terms of where we should be headed- in a nutshell who will present the argument that what we are currently doing is hypocritical, self serving, failing to meet our obligations as a sovereign state plus as a member of a wider international community which massively benefits us.

While its interesting to see the Greens explaining their changes in FP, its insane how somehow the 1.5 billion figure is being suggested as somehow a) the cure for all the issues/limits of the DF, and b) the end point of funding growth...

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/05/25/ciaran-cuffe-the-green-partys-changing-position-on-defence-a-new-triple-lock-proposal/

I see the air corps have on there social media they have personal training in CSAR at a red flag excercise in the USA

So another MPA operating close to us? Between US and U.K. P8s and now a French Atlantic somebody could almost think that there’s a reason we should be patrolling our waters…

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2023/0526/1385749-cork-airport/

There is huge increase in P8s patrolling irish controlled air space lately. Norways P8s did sevevral patrols last week around the island of ireland just outside our 12 mile limit

We have at present just one aircraft available to carry out a very basic level of maritime patrol in our own waters, never mind the EEZ. No wonder the others have decided to protect their assets in our EEZ!

Just thinking about this mornings incident, first is it because of the sensitive equipment she has onboard that they didn’t want any emergency personnel to do an inspection or might she have been armed and they wanted to avoid the diplomatic issues? Second with all the patrols in our EEZ and this incident, I wonder what conversations would be had with our government if this or something like this had ended badly?

More likely they didn't want the Joeys stomping around the cabin in wellies, where 24 of them have to spend prolonged patrols. Any weaponry would be in the bay anyway.

If there was to be an investigation locally, better off sealing off the aircraft until their inspectors interview everyone. Adding outsiders to the mix complicates that.

IMHO once the two new aircraft arrive it should be an issue if they are not as close to 100 % on maritime patrol as makes no difference. Instead of ferrying folks about, they should be doing the job they were purchased for. The government should pony up for a new government jet and transporters (and probably additional maritime aircraft) and do the job properly.

• Advertisement

I haven't looked, but I'll bet a pound to your penny that somewhere, not many years old, is a Stephen Collins article to the effect that 'Ireland's neutrality and peace making foreign policy is the envy of the World'.

'The Irish Times Opinion - If you don't like it, we have others'

Probably, I mean why should they be any different than every political party? Or plenty of normal Irish who actually believe such crap.

If DPER here about this they will try cancel the Casa order

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mupper2

DPER "Could we pay a cancellation fee?.....and by "we" we mean the DF pay out of their own budget?"

Did the French ever try to sell an Atlantic to the air corps?

Yes, I understand that they offered one when they were new in 1874.

I mean back in the 80s when are fleet was heavily french and we had only small mpa aircraft

We were never in the ASW game. the original MPA Kingairs had nothing but a photographer at a bubble window, and some bright stripes. The most they could do from a tech POV was top cover, i.e fly high enough near an incident that helis at scene had comms to HQ. ASW was something other people did, because we were "neutral" and the main enemy, the PIRA, did not use subs. The arrival of the Casa, and the ability to drop marker flares (using the same tech used for sonobuoys) was the closest we came to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Have the new aircraft any ability to detect subs?

Are there really 24 crew in that French aircraft, that seems to me like an awful big crew for patrolling? , but iv no idea really.

Advertisement