Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying at Screwfix .ie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

"Extrapolate"! :-)

Consider "Altar Boy" and "Scoolgirls" string variables, nothing more.

I could have arrived on the car park in a bullet proof Mercedes.

I dont think people normally would, but in an age when people scan luggage labels at airports and stations to find people to rob, why allow an avenue into my personal life?

I used to use Screwfix in the UK for work. Sometimes I would be buying in Scotland and my house was empty and an eleven hour journey away.

Let me put this another way, why would you want someone selling you a tube of glue to know your name and address?

It appears in this case the branch was in the wrong anyway. I had an explanation from the UK and it appears that Screwfix in Ireland should operate in the same way as the stores in Britain, so If I do receive a direct confirmation of that, there is no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you could answer a simple question please. Is Screwfix breaking any law by looking for your details?

That is entirely your business and your choice.

I only want an alternative choice.

Why do you post messages under an alias, as everyone critical of my approach does, isn't it the same thing, in fact using a real name with your postcode on the end shouldn't be a problem should it?

The only other comment I would make to your post is Srewfix has my name and both adresses. For the very rare occasion when I do need to interact with them on a purchase other than over the counter ask and pay, I do need up to date details. It seems pointless to use an obsolete address, that I do not see a reason for, surely you would be as well to close the account if you don't update a pretty important detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Nothing wrong with wanting to remain anonymous. But if they aren't willing to allow that, then rather than get all worked up about it, just use a variation of your name and an email address specifically for these kinds of transactions.

• Advertisement

I have to have a lot of respect for a person to compromise my moral philosophy and lie to them.

So far I have not met that human being.

I should neither have to provide personal details or lie to buy a piddling little trifle across a shop counter.

I did lie when buying cigarettes in my youth. I still have long sleepless nights tossing and turning.

Maybe that is the problem and not my enlarged prostate after all :-)

I dont know at present. Screwfix are looking into what they are doing here in Ireland and are getting back to me. It seems there might be a problem over data security If you buy insurance or financial services that involves giving your details then you have to sit and listen to a long winded dirge about the call being recorded and the security of your details before passing on personal data.

A phone call is one to one and not in a shop full of people also.

Now I maybe wrong but I wouldn't think that dirge in all its detail is seen as a sales pith is it? If you look at adverts the message is punchy and often involves pictures, not a thousand words or more of detail.

I know it's desirable to treat things in a simplistic, yes/ no fashion. That's what brought Brexit to the Brit's and in turn why I am now here and a confirmed Irish citizen.

So life might appear to be a series of binary events and choices. Reality differs completely from that "desirable"?? state.

As I pointed out earlier if you find anonymity so undesirable, why do you not post under your name and Eircode? That would be completely legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

You shouldn’t stress yourself so much over little things like giving false details to a multinational.

Would you not feel stressed if someone forced you into an act of dishonesty?

That is one question that does merit a binary answer incidentally.

One was programmed using an interpretation of Catholic doctrine, the knowledge that there is a being hurling fiery thunderbolts and banishing kiddies to Hell to bask in burning brimstone for eternity also has a bearing on One's approach to honesty :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Some people really have a lot to be worrying about

And others happily send a few euro or even bank details to a Nigerian banker sitting on a chest of gold without a care in the world, apart from what sort of house to buy with the proceeds.

How can One lose out when shopping by being careful with their personal details?

Can you suggest when it's a bad idea to dish out personal details to people you don't know? Just two or three examples will do.

I was interested to see how others felt about it, nothing more, nothing less. I see nothing wrong continuing as I currently do, I have heard no single fact or suggestion in favour of providing my details.

Funny really, how everyone seems to think it very negative not to give something away is it not?

I mean when you give a few coins to someone in the street, you get a bit of a warm feeling if you are not aware that you are being conned. Dishing out your name and postcode to a shopkeeper does not quite provide that feeling does it?

No infringement of rights or freedom ever comes suddenly unless as an act of war.

I think I should have the freedom to give personal data to who I choose, it really is that simple.

Why is it not a valid thing to be concerned about? No one for all their useful suggestions has explained that fundamental property that is the basis of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭monseiur

There is big element of truth in what the OP is saying and although I agree with him I'm afraid that the sad fact is that there is very little we can do to protect our personal details. For example if you have a PPS no. bank account, credit card, mobile phone, driving licence, TV licence, car/house insurance, phone broadband connection, ESB connection, member of club, passport, medical card etc. etc. To register for any or all the above and 100's more you hand over detailed personal information to third parties. The third parties use and some abuse this information (a lot more that we like to believe) - in reality GDPR is a smokescreen that just gives the gullible a false sense of security. The fact is that once you hand over personal information whether to a bank, Screwfix, a Garda or other it is no longer secure. Harvesting personal data is big business meaning there is money to be made.....where there is money crime follows - crime of the white collar variety 😉

Spot on, you have summed up things perfectly. It is kind of nice to see that someone can see things in context.

My simple approach is that because I dished out my details to all and sundry anyway, which is a risk, then that is no logical reason to supply details to all and sundry + 1 if the +1 is not going to provide goods or services the benefit me.

I trust we are still in tune?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭monseiur

Yes we are in tune. Not wishing to cast any aspersions on the likes of Screwfix - but the fact is, with the pool of workers getting smaller and smaller, sometimes a certain element with questionable background manage to get into fairly low paying jobs BUT where they have access to very confidential and personal information. They augment their wages by harvesting and selling on to their criminal handlers this valuable data. To them the job is a means to an end. If/when eventually rattled they just move on and continue their scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

There is another side to this. If I go and buy say a thousand euros worth of tools at screwfix, if anyone wants to know where to go to steal a thousand euros of tools then screwfix has that info. Thats not quite as daft as it sounds as there have been cases of tool hire shop employees passing on info as to what tools were on hire to a specific site so they could be stolen.

Wake me up when it's all over.

With an effective justice system, criminals have years to plan and develop their business model, the exposure to fellow "professionals" is a very well documented benefit of prison.

Nowhere outside Westminster in the UK would you get a group of like minded individuals into such group "self education".

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This thread has gone completely insane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement