Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URC Final Match Thread - Stormers V Munster - Saturday May 27th 2023 17:30, TG4

Options
  • 26-05-2023 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭

It's been a long journey for Munster this year, both figuratively, and literally for the thousands of Munster fans who have travelled over the equator to South Africa 6 different times this season.

And what a journey it's been. A new coaching ticket bringing back ex Munster legends Denis Leamey and Mike Prendergast back home to join future Munster legend Graham Rowntree in the coaching ticket that has transformed how the team play.

That hasn't been easy, a very rocky start to the season caused by a combination of a new playing style, players going on tour with Ireland, and an injury toll that saw us go into multiple games with no 2nd row cover on the bench, and even using back row forwards on the starting 15

Munster clawed back up the URC table, taking a moment to beat South Africa in a sold out Pairc Ui Caoimhe, to get to the knockouts where they faced a series of away matches, each more unwinnable than the last. Munster knocked the Sharks out of Europe next year, knocked Glasgow out of the URC, Munster then knocked Leinster out in their home stadium and now are faced with one last challenge, beating the Reigning URC champions on their home pitch (if it remains intact) on the literal other side of the world

Munster team

Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Antoine Frisch, Malakai Fekitoa, Shane Daly; Jack Crowley, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Josh Wycherley, Roman Salanoa, RG Snyman, Alex Kendellen, Craig Casey, Ben Healy, Keith Earls

Stormers team has been announced

Marvin Orie is back to restart his battle with Peter O Mahony. Hopefully this time he can keep his hands to himself

Munster to name the team before 12pm

Post edited by Akrasia on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Team named

Munster: Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Antoine Frisch, Malakai Fekitoa, Shane Daly; Jack Crowley, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Josh Wycherley, Roman Salanoa, RG Snyman, Alex Kendellen, Craig Casey, Ben Healy, Keith Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Only real surprise for me is RG not starting, we're clearly going after the tackle and breakdown area. Mobile impactful bench all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's where we want to be, in a final. Shame it's not in Ireland but it is what it is.

Hopefully, the lads will manage to pull it off.

G'wan Munster

Best of luck to Munster tomorrow - hope you do it and think that team named is good enough to do it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Only 6 of the 15 who started the Pro 14 final 2 seasons ago remain in the starting jerseys, them being Haley, Murray, Kleyn, Beirne, POM and Coombes

Very happy with that team tho. Hopefully it’s enough to get over the line.

Snyman off the bench could be huge, would be a massive for everyone too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Kicking is key.

We will lose some scrums but the stormers are defiantly beatable.

Gwan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Good looking team! Leinster supporter wishing you best of luck.....go Munster!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Tinter Box

Ulster fan here. Really hope Munster can pull it off. Not jealous at all of the fans at a final in Cape Town.. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭scott1974

I wonder will the state of the pitch nullify the Stormers scrum, it might become a bit if a lottery which might benefit Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Is Kilcoyne injured? Wycherly passing him out would be notable if Kilcoyne is fully fit. Kilcoyne was named as part of the travelling squad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not going to be able to see this but fingers and toes crossed for a Munster win!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

If you told me a year ago we'd be naming a team without Kilcoyne, Fineen Wycherley, Jack O'Donoghue, Carbery, Rory Scannell, Zebo and Conway in the squad and with Niall Scannell and Earls only starting from the bench I'd have been absolutely bricking this game.

Big credit to the coaching staff with the improvements they made in players across the board. The likes of Kleyn/Nash/Daly/Archer/Hodnett made themselves almost undroppable.

Exciting team, I think we'll do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

And JOD, our player of the year last season, doesn’t even make the 23, due to the form of Hodnett and Kendellen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Snynam and Salanoa coming on at the same time with half an hour to go makes a ton of sense. Lots of power and Snynam should help Salanoa in the scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭StevenToast

If Munster pull off a win (and I think they can), its a win that is right up there with their 2 Heineken Cups....

Good luck to them...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

It’s amazing how far the URC has come in 2 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Yeah, certainly with a new coaching setup, the poor start to the season and given all the away matches en route and the calibre of opponents along the way. Would be a fantastic achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Going down to South Africa to play their best team, the defending champions, in front of a full house, in a final.....thats as hard as it gets in club rugby....

How would La Rochelle get on down there??

Reminds me of the old days where Munster started picking off away wins in France and Saracens etc...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Best of luck to the Munster lads, it’s about time ye got back to the top table!

A disappointed Leinster fan hoping that the provincial season can be salvaged by Munster tomorrow. Very best of luck, bring it home!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's a good Stormers team but definitely beatable. I'd fancy this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Game is also on Premier Sports (Viaplay in NI) and URC Tv for those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

As far as games with a trophy at the end of it no doubt would be just behind those achievements. But theres too many other big (and underdog) wins from that era to even compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bulls fans are getting Munster tattoos on their arse to win tickets to the final to cheer against the Stormers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Crap, liveline will be getting irate calls about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

South African teams have transformed the league. It’s never easy against them with their power up front and speed out wide. Munster forwards must convert their opportunities more efficiently than they did in the first half against Leinster. If they keep in touch their organization may tell against these guys.

Post edited by Ardillaun on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Dublin tattoo artists were on during the week complaining about a shortage of yellow ink. Seemingly big orders in recent weeks in Cork and Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement