Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trubridy’s Final Late Late Show EVAH! Special Thread 26th May

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Higgins pre recorded his interview it seems. Not a good sign.

The AI bot mentioned here is probably the way forward. Needs a bit more Francis Brennan though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Just have Mario Rosenstock and Oliver Callan on and they can be all the guests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭monseiur

RTE is no longer relevant, they did not move with the times - still back in the '70's I hardly ever tune in to that station an haven't for years. As for Tubridy he's just unbearable, hope tonight marks is his last appearance on any TV screen. But I fear he'll be back and will eventually have to be carried out of the place, zimmer frame & all, like Gay Byrne, Larry Gogan etc. etc. working or should I say being on RTE's payroll for life....means literally for life😉

How can RTE, who claim to be cash strapped, justify paying him and the likes of Ray Darcy, Joe Duffy etc. eye watering amounts for below average run of the mill sh*t programmes. We're fortunate that there's a good selection of local / commercial radios available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

• Advertisement

• I imagine the disaster that was Toy Show The Musical provided the catalyst for his decision to depart, remember he dissociated himself from it and I reckon he believed it had the potential to dismantle the “magic” of his Toy Show

Because he’s done work there on radio in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Expunge

And, if you recall, it was very underwhelming. The last time was about a decade ago when he filled in on the Chris Evans breakfast show.

He ended being eclipsed by the personalities of the sports and traffic presenters. His name registered with zero listeners to Radio 2.

It was a great achievement by Noel Kelly to get him that gig but when it became obvious that this lad was far from a new Terry Wogan, there were no further invitations.

A story was put about that he was "too busy" to take up any further gigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,086 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

A video message for Ryan from Paul, as promised…

“Hi Brian, your good friend Paul here. So you’re leaving the Late Late Show…I enjoyed our Carpool Karaoke together. All the best on the return of ‘Going For Gold’. Vote for Trump! Love, Paul.”

His fill in for Norton wasn’t supposed to be too bad- and it doesn’t have to be radio- he could present a documentary for BBC NI also - different times now, it might be something he’ll revisit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Wonder how many presents tub's will get off the guests, and will the false modesty slip when the presents are not as expensive as expected,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Expunge

Maybe. I'm just not so sure there's any great interest in him anywhere to do any of those things - outside of Montrosia.

He's a most unremarkable TV star- if that's what he is. This guy did not do the hard yards as a younger man. Not like Norton, Wogan, Ross, Ant & Dec, Stephen Mulhern, Gay Byrne etc. Not at all an entertainer. He was more or less dropped from almost nowhere into the best know variety TV show in Ireland by one or two RTE executives. And for me it shows - still, 14 years on.

I may be totally wrong but I can't see him having an international broadcasting career. Making documentaries like "How my Grandad ripped up the Railways" and "How my Grandad tried to sack Gay Byrne" are all that's left for this non-entity, who happens to be Ireland's biggest media star.

Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah I heard him filling in for GN and remember him being ok but nothing spectacular. I’d say Graham felt fairly safe on his holidays with Tubbs in charge. No danger of being eclipsed! Let’s be honest, he’s 50. If tge BBC were sniffing around it’d have happened years ago and he’d have jumped. They didn’t, he didn’t and nobody ever will. We’re stuck with him. Not only that but RTE also provide a lifeline for anyone whose time has ran out abroad. I’m looking at you Una Healy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The Ryan Line is Closed

So here we are, after a long 14 years  

Nights of laughs, great wine and beers  

The only way to ever watch, The Late Late show

Was on here on Boards – during the many high and low

Ryan when he started – was youth, full of fun

Finding his feet – he had a great early run

But, the too usual they came – Shortt , OShea, Bannon

Byrne – O’Donnell- Rosestock and the very funny Callan  

But about 7 years in, it got all a bit stale.

Same guest and issues – and the too sad, misery tale

We are too small a country – and too many staff

Friday night, I’m depressed – is it the red wine or just daft ?  

But on Boards – we laughed and made it our own

Laughed at the over seriousness and “CAARRk” again on the phone

The crazy shows like valentines – country and toys

The singing and dancing the Xmas show joys

With amazing posters like,   Walsh Megaman, walshb, Niman

– you could stay up laughing with martingriff till Atlantic dawn

There was plenty of s*it poetry – and horrible songs

And us all here calling out, the rights and the wrongs

Then along came great trolls – saying your sad here, get a life

How can you sit here on a Friday, listening to strife?

They were right in a way – but missing the point

The show was not the attraction – it was the thread and a pint

So we now move on – and we will think of the sad time  

Poor Aslan’s Christy and Vicky – and the unique Gerry Ryan

Ireland is a very unique strange place

A small community and connection – a brilliant race

But it is time for a change in a new Ireland now

More open , diverse + a new direction and show

A nod to look out – be more entertaining and fun

No longer, a ballot in one hand, the other a gun

So Ryan, I genuinely thank you – an incredible tough job

A show that is bonkers – when you are facing a mob

You absolutely nailed “the covid” – you gave it your all

But at what cost we don’t know – stand proud and tall

To Boards , I feel, a new time, a change

The shift of social media – and to other exchange

But for the old school like us – we loved it all here

A forum is more deep  - more time and more layer

So we drive on in hope – say goodbye to the thread cats

Hope Patrick works – or it could be -That is that

We had a great time – on our Boards Late Late thread.

But it is time for, the owl and Ryan to hit a much needed bed.

Fix 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

i wonder if the First Dog will be on with his Master?might tune in if he was..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Reminder once again of the state of play ahead of the big night:

Total Episodes: 36 - Note: "Special" eps guests apps are not considered in number of apps for guests (Taking care of biz, Toy Show, Eurovision, Valentines, Repair challenge)

Total "celeb" Guests: 189

Season Start Date: 02/09/2022

Season End Date: 26/05/2023

Most frequent guests this season:

• Daniel O'Donnell (2 apps)
    • Mario Rosenstock (2 apps)
    • Nathan Carter (2 apps)
    • Vogue Williams (2 apps)
    • Joanne McNally (2 apps)
    • Richie Sadlier (2 apps)
    • Panti Bliss (2 apps)
    • Santis O'Garro (2 apps)
    • Vera Pauw (2 apps)
    • Aoife Moore (2 apps)
    • Nicola Tallant (2 apps)
    • Rory O'Connor (2 apps)
    • The Academic (2 apps)

Shortest gap between between guests' previous appearance on the show:

• Nathan Carter (2 apps) appeared 03/03/2023 and again 4 weeks later on 31/03/2023
    • Nicola Tallant (2 apps) appeared 06/01/2023 and again 13 weeks later on 07/04/2023
    • Vogue Williams (2 apps) appeared 09/12/2022 and again 23 weeks later on 19/05/2023
    • Mario Rosenstock (2 apps) appeared 09/12/2022 and again 23 weeks later on 19/05/2023
    • Panti Bliss (2 apps) appeared on 02/12/2022 and again 11 weeks later on 17/02/2023
    • Rory O'Connor (2 apps) appeared on 11/11/2022 and again 26 weeks later on 12/05/2023
    • Daniel O'Donnell (2 apps) appeared on 28/10/2022 and again 22 weeks later on 31/03/2023
    • Santis O'Garro (2 apps) appeared on 07/10/2022 and again 14 weeks later on 13/01/2023
    • Joanne McNally (2 aps) appeared on 07/10/2022 and again 32 weeks later on 19/05/2023

Of guests who appeared this season, Top 10 highest number of appearances since Tubs became host in 2009:

• Daniel O'Donnell (14 apps)
    • Mario Rosenstock (14 apps) - a late equalizer last Friday to level it up with Daniel
    • Brendan O'Carroll (9 Apps) - this only includes apps where he was announced in press release
    • Eamon Dunphy (8 apps) - surprising given his "family of chinless wonders" comment in the past
    • Imelda May (7 apps)
    • Dermot Bannon (7 apps)
    • Nathan Carter (7 apps)
    • Pádraig Harrington (7 apps)
    • Vogue Williams (7 apps) ((Joanne Mc on 4apps))
    • Amy Huberman (6 apps) ((BOD on 5 apps))

*Stats based on a combination of information available at https://thetvdb.com/series/the-late-late-show-ireland/allseasons/official and (where thetvdb didn't list the eps) via RTE press releases/articles for guest lineups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Catriona Perry leaving RTE News today as well.

I predict this: Catriona and Ryan elope to the US and start a new cable chat show, maybe on CBS, which lasts one series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Who gives a ballix.

We know well its just a conveyor of the same Z list no-marks without statistical backup.

And that's why Paddy Kielty and producers have a job of work ahead.

Cut it down from 2+ hours to a crisp 90 minutes and put a late movie of some quality from 11pm to 1am.

Dispense with most of the current affairs, which are more than adequately covered on RTÉ's six other weekly current affairs and political programmes.

Condense the season into 3 Blocks and pack the guest quality with more international names. If they can't pony up to get actual talent, live on the sofa on a Friday night, not pre recorded tosh, then shytcan the LLS altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

"put a late movie of some quality from 11pm to 1am."

Ahahahahahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Have you any stats on the amount of diseases and funerals that the nation has endured during the weekly Carnival of Misery segments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

did RT say this morning he was at the aras recording the interview yesterday ????

If Kielty doesn’t work out I’m sure you’d get Schofield at a knock down price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,086 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Would be good to hear from some of the LLS thread regulars from times past on this momentous night.

They also served…

Autosport, Skid X, Lady Chatterton, grey_so_what, Ol Donie, JonathanAnon/Peter The Eighth… :)

Where’s Skid X these days- if you see him wish him well- as indeed I wish you well too.

I remember about 5 of those- I started posting in TLLS about 2009 or maybe a little later albeit I closed my account a few times over the years

One of the earlier episodes here- opened by your good self- from 2011 September

Mike65 AMDublin hotmail.com Jp LIZ V1 Lapin (Banned with prison access :D ) Sept23 1989 Casio4 Chris P Bacon and Ally Dick- I remember all of those names

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2056388896/the-late-late-show-16th-september-2011/p1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

WD the poets on here - some good dittys on this thread :) :)

possibly be a 'brief reprise' of show's 'best bits' - ya know, to incorporate Ryan's much-loved enjoyment of "the craic" !

😂

good riddance to the misery merchant 🙌

Advertisement